PDA

View Full Version : Brush my curls wet or dry?

lectraplayer
April 1st, 2015, 09:51 PM
I have finally got my 3C curls to my shoulder blades and fairly mild mannered thanks to you folks. However, as I search for more hair tips and "manly" styles, I keep finding people mention that brushing wet hair causes damage. However, my hair goes straight to friz city once I run any comb through it dry. My questions for here is:A)when and if brushing dry is more harmfulB)when and if wet/soaked hair is more sensitive to damage

ExpectoPatronum
April 1st, 2015, 09:57 PM
Your "safest" route would be to comb your hair, in the shower, while it's soaked with conditioner. The conditioner will provide slip, so as not to damage the weak wet hairs. It also won't turn your hair into a frizzy mess like brushing dry would.

However, it'll depend on your hair. Like yours, my hair frizzes right up if I brush it dry. My hair doesn't seem to exhibit any damage from me combing it wet.

I usually thoroughly detangle it before a shower, run a wide toothed comb through it while I have conditioner in it, then just use a comb outside the shower to get my hair laying where I want it. I like detangling before a shower as it helps get rid of sheds that would otherwise clog the drain.

As with all things YYMV, so experiment around and see what works for your hair. If you notice a lot of breakage from something, you should probably stop doing it.

Hope this helps!

jeanniet
April 1st, 2015, 11:12 PM
I use a Denman brush on my wet hair (with conditioner), and have done so for over a year, no damage. I use a brush rather than a comb because I found that a brush removes shed hairs better and allows my curls to clump better. I wouldn't use a boar bristle brush, but for me, a brush is very effective.

YvetteVarie
April 2nd, 2015, 03:39 AM
Your "safest" route would be to comb your hair, in the shower, while it's soaked with conditioner. The conditioner will provide slip, so as not to damage the weak wet hairs. It also won't turn your hair into a frizzy mess like brushing dry would.

However, it'll depend on your hair. Like yours, my hair frizzes right up if I brush it dry. My hair doesn't seem to exhibit any damage from me combing it wet.

I usually thoroughly detangle it before a shower, run a wide toothed comb through it while I have conditioner in it, then just use a comb outside the shower to get my hair laying where I want it. I like detangling before a shower as it helps get rid of sheds that would otherwise clog the drain.

As with all things YYMV, so experiment around and see what works for your hair. If you notice a lot of breakage from something, you should probably stop doing it.

Hope this helps!

I second this. Combing with conditioner helps a lot, and also helps with curl definition. I don't use a brush at all on my head, I just end up with frizzy hair. Just experiment and see what works for you. Maybe finger combing while dry with a tiny bit of oil to smooth hair might help too

vega
April 2nd, 2015, 05:47 AM
Agree plenty of conditioner have you tried the wet brush it glides through my bottecilli curls doesn't pull and under 20 dollars

FuzzyBlackWaves
April 2nd, 2015, 08:37 AM
I'm a wavy rather than a curly but I used a wide tooth comb to detangle my dry hair with.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
3c? Definitely wet-detangle!

Anje
April 2nd, 2015, 11:14 AM
3c? I'd say comb your hair wet, full of conditioner, don't brush it at all. Or if you absolutely have to brush, detangle it carefully first, then work it out slowly dry. I'd only do that at all right before a shower or for some special occasion when you want your hair to be a fluffy cloud. :) Or if you want to make an addition to the "Curlies, Brush your hair!" thread! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7003)