View Full Version : Finally getting a (Deva)Cut?!

ExpectoPatronum
April 1st, 2015, 09:49 PM
Oh my, this has been a long time coming. I purchased a new curl cream on a whim and it has made me fall in love with my wavy texture. I've never loved it as much as I do now. I don't want to do anything else with it!

My best friend has curly hair, and she gets her hair cut at a local salon by a woman who does Deva Cuts. She does a great job on my friend's hair, and after assuring me half a million times that she would not take off anymore than I wanted, I actually booked an appointment.

Needless to say, I'm really excited. While my wavy hair looks nice, it's in dire need of some shaping. My ends are in decent condition, so I probably won't ask for more than say, 3/4 an inch off.

But still...there's that little voice in my head telling me to cancel the appointment because she'll cut my too short. Ugh.

To you ladies and gentlemen who get their hair cut professionally, any words of wisdom on dealing with the nerves? Also do you think DevaCuts are worth it? I don't plan on it being a regular thing, just getting it done once or twice a year. Thanks!

jeanniet
April 1st, 2015, 11:25 PM
A Deva cut is very different from a regular cut, so you do need to be aware of that going in. It may not be drastically different for wavy vs. curly hair, though, and I assume she explained the technique to you. I don't always give my stylist specific amounts to trim off, but will tell her if I want to retain length or gow a little more or whatever. But since it's a curl-by-curl cut, in order to shape my hair she does need to take a certain amount off, more in some areas and less in others. The cut itself isn't really meant to take off a lot of length per se, but to define. I also want root curl, so ask for that to be part of the cut, and have clumps that are shorter in order to give me that. If you don't want any sections of hair to be shorter than a certain length, let her know, but a certain amount of layering (it's not layering, but more or less a similar effect) is part of the technique. Also be aware that because it's meant for curly hair, if you straighten your hair it may not look even. If you have any questions or concerns at all, ask before she starts.

Yes, for me a Deva cut by a good stylist is absolutely worth it. My hair looks good even when it's bad, if you know what I mean. After a few days, I might have a lot of frizz and such, but my curls are still solid. If I go out in coastal wind (I know you know what I mean about Northern CA wind on the coast!), it might look wild, but the curls still maintain their shape. And it's very easy to maintain, in terms of styling, and get a consistent look. I pretty much just wash, plop, clip, and air dry, and it comes out great. Let us know how it all turns out.

ETA: Oh, part of the cut also is showing you how to style. I personally don't like the Deva products at all, and don't follow the exact technique, but it was a good jumping-off point. It took me about six months to really refine my own technique and figure out what worked best for me. Now I just pay for the cut alone and style it myself. Unfortunately my stylist just raised her prices significantly--I mean 40%!--but she is so good I just have to suck it up. She was pretty reasonable before, and now she'll be on the expensive side, sigh. The good thing about Deva cuts is that they should last three or four months easily, so you don't need shaping as often. I've actually grown my hair out three or four inches since fall, and had two cuts in that time. I thought I wanted it longer, but it's starting to bug me so I may have her take more off next time if I can't adjust to this length.

ExpectoPatronum
April 2nd, 2015, 12:36 PM
I've watched videos and such on the technique, as well as my friend describing it so I am aware how the hair is cut. I think my only true concern is that some pieces will be too short to braid (I don't mind if little ends stick out here and there), but it sounds like I'll be okay if I maybe tell her that? I don't really need root curl. I think my hair looks better without that. Thanks for bringing those up...I wouldn't have thought to mention those things! I think I'll ask to retain length, but to give my curls some shape? The hair on the back of my head barely waves up anymore because of how heavy they are, so I know those will need some length taken off. I've kind of given up on trying to grow my hair super long. I'd rather it look nice and wavy instead of messy and long.

I straighten my hair maybe once a year, but I can forgo that if it means having waves that still have their shape after being outside. I know exactly what you mean by that damn wind. I think I hate wind more than rain, because at least the rain will refresh my waves lol. I know what you mean though. My friend who gets the cut will come over and say she's having a bad hair day, but her hair still does look good. Mine looks like a mess. Right now I wash and scrunch, but I get wildly inconsistent results. Some days my hair will be exactly what I want - lots of pretty waves and volume, or sometimes it will just be a disaster that I have to wear up until wash day. It's sounding like getting this cut might help me with some of my problems. If it doesn't, I'll admit I'll be a little disappointed. But, it's like with anything with hair. It doesn't work for everyone and I won't know until I try, right?

As for the DevaCurl line, I bought the Low-Poo yesterday and actually really liked it. The same friend bought a travel set and said I could try out a couple products I was considering purchasing. I'm mainly interesting in the conditioner as I already have a styler that I love. I also have a $5 off Ulta coupon that needs to be used :)

Thank you for your reply. It was helpful and interesting reading about your experience. I'll be sure to update with my experience! (With pictures if I remember)

lapushka
April 2nd, 2015, 01:24 PM
I think if you don't want it layered too much (which I'm suspecting "shaping" really means), then tell the stylist. Have fun with your appointment. I hope it goes well for you! :)

jeanniet
April 2nd, 2015, 02:23 PM
I think the stylist can work with what you want. Just be specific, so she knows. I don't think the technique in general calls for pieces as short as I have them (my shortest pieces curl just around my ears), so you can just give her a guideline you want to stay below. And if the Deva products work for you, all the better!

Lapushka, it's "layering" in the sense that the hair isn't all one length, but it's not layered in the traditional sense. The first stylist I had, who ostensibly did a Deva cut, did some curl-by-curl cutting and then did traditional layering (holding hair out at an angle and cutting). That is not a proper Deva cut, but it took me a while to realize that he wasn't doing it right. My stylist now cuts curl-by-curl, by observing my hair overall and cutting in order to bring out the best shape. It's more like sculpting, really. Little bit here, little bit there. It's really pretty cool to watch, and she's so good at it.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2015, 02:45 PM
Lapushka, it's "layering" in the sense that the hair isn't all one length, but it's not layered in the traditional sense. The first stylist I had, who ostensibly did a Deva cut, did some curl-by-curl cutting and then did traditional layering (holding hair out at an angle and cutting). That is not a proper Deva cut, but it took me a while to realize that he wasn't doing it right. My stylist now cuts curl-by-curl, by observing my hair overall and cutting in order to bring out the best shape. It's more like sculpting, really. Little bit here, little bit there. It's really pretty cool to watch, and she's so good at it.

Oh, good to know! :)

ExpectoPatronum
April 11th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Well I went in and got my cut. I was really excited and the woman who just left her chair was singing the praises of my stylist (Taylor), which made me even more excited.

She sat me down and played around with my hair. She asked what my routine was like, if I oiled it, and how I styled it. She was rather happy to hear I already follow a curly friendly routine, don't wash every day, and that I sleep with my hair in a pineapple. I told her I wanted to retain length, but that I also didn't really know where else to go from there. She showed me what she wanted to do, I said it sounded good.

From my longest parts, I didn't lose a ton of length. They were just peeking below my bra strap and now they're just brushing the top. But, she took a LOT of hair off. It was a little shocking to see how much hair she was cutting off. It feels so nice having the bulk of hair gone! After the cut, she washed my hair and styled it for me. She didn't diffuse it as I said I always let my hair air dry. I really really liked how she basically did my routine for me! I told her in the beginning that I alternated between shampoo and co-washing, and she actually asked what type of wash I was supposed to do that day :D

Now for the cut...It's super different! I haven't had a new hair style in years so I'm still getting used to how different it looks. I posted a couple pictures on FB and everyone loves it, as do my best friends. I do like it too, but like I said...it's very different. My hair is so much bouncier now!

I will be posting pictures of it after I see how it goes through my routine with my products. She did a couple styling things that I don't normally do (twisting strands of hair when wet). She said that if there are pieces that look funky after I do my routine, that I could text her and she'd squeeze me in to fix them.

So overall, I'm very pleased with my experience and am very glad I got the cut!

lapushka
April 11th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Sounds great, and I can't wait to see pictures. :D

endlessly
April 11th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Glad to hear you had such a great experience!

Sometimes it's hard depending on your hair stylist to speak up about what you really want and there are so many stylists out there that just think they can have free reign on your hair. So, I'm very glad to hear you didn't have to go through that. She seemed like she was genuinely interested in your routine and making sure she gave you the same treatment.

ExpectoPatronum
April 11th, 2015, 12:35 PM
I just washed my hair so I'll be taking pictures as soon as it's dry! (Which might be a while, it's raining today)

endlessly, speaking up is definitely hard, but it's the only way to make sure you don't leave disappointed. Seeing as I'm new to having styled curly hair, I kind of let her do her thing this time because I really don't know what I do and do not like yet. She was really nice and asked my permission before doing things we didn't previously discuss (like texturing my bangs a little).

Also...I can still braid my hair katniss style! That was really my only concern because that is my go-to style for bad hair days.

JLeighs
April 11th, 2015, 12:38 PM
I just got my second Deva cut last month. The first one was 7 months prior. These two cuts are the best cuts I have ever had in my entire life. I spent a LOT of time researching Deva stylists, though. I didn't know anyone in real life who gets that type of cut, so I chose carefully, knowing I would be the guinea pig for my sisters (who are all curly and/or wavy as well, and they generally follow me to new stylists). The stylist I ended up going with had gone to NY for extensive training (so many so-called "Deva stylists" take a one-day class and then they're "certified"), and had very good reviews from various internet sources. She also owns the salon, so I knew that would mean that she would be very concerned about her reputation as a Deva stylist. In the end, I'm thankful to say that I made the right choice. She's wonderful with curls and waves!

ZoSo
April 11th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Is there a fundamental difference between a Deva cut & one by Tiffany, the Curl Whisper (live curly live free) in FL? Not sure if anyone here has had a cut done by her.

I think I kinda understand the concept of cutting or trimming each individual segment of curls & how cutting wet or dry (I forgot which) is better for curly hair. The part I'm confused about is how is cutting (not maintenance trimming damage off) at all is beneficial, if you want to go for long length. Is it for people with lots of volume, to make their hair more manageable or behave how they want it to? Not being judgmental, just curious.

ExpectoPatronum
April 11th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Before and after pictures! (Warning, they're large)

Before... (http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/applesaucefireworks/B7DC5F9A-97F1-4306-965F-B9F5B4E07BC2.jpg)

After! (http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/applesaucefireworks/FCD874BB-AB9B-4912-94A8-8CA03823A3E8.jpg)

JLeighs, yay! I'm so happy you've found a stylist you love.

ZoSo, I got a deva cut to help make my hair more manageable and to give it some shape. Before I got the cut, my hair would just...hang there. The length was nice, but I was getting tired of my hair just being there. I go this cut to give some life back to my hair. It bounces. It has movement. Yeah, it's quite a bit shorter, but I'm so much happier with it now than I was when it was longer. I actually love my hair now.

Also...I hate to say it but DevaCurl products work very well on my hair. I wish they weren't so pricey :(

Kina
April 11th, 2015, 05:49 PM
love it, it looks fabulous!

You mentioned in the first post a new curl cream. Inquiring minds would like to know, please, if you don't mind.

kidari
April 11th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I agree it looks amazing!! I totally get you and know what you mean. I had waist length with minimal layering and I was generally unhappy with it. I don't have the thickness and the texture to have it look the way I want beyond MBL. Keeping it BSL with layers that flatter my face makes me fall back in love with my hair every time.

ExpectoPatronum
April 11th, 2015, 06:01 PM
^^

The one I was referring to in that post was Curls Cream Brulee Whipped Curl Cream. It's really nice, but it's not holding up to the humid coastal climate. If you live in a drier climate, it'll be great! I use it when I go back to my parents :)

allycat
April 11th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Your hair is gorgeous!

Beborani
April 11th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Thank you Expectopatronum for sharing your experience and pictures. It looks lovely.

ZoSo
April 11th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Wow that does look great. I love how it has better definition & opens up your face more.

jeanniet
April 11th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Is there a fundamental difference between a Deva cut & one by the Tiffany the Curl Whisper (live curly live free) in FL? Not sure if anyone here has had a cut done by her.

I think I kinda understand the concept of cutting or trimming each individual segment of curls & how cutting wet or dry (I forgot which) is better for curly hair. The part I'm confused about is how is cutting (not maintenance trimming damage off) at all is beneficial, if you want to go for long length. Is it for people with lots of volume, to make their hair more manageable or behave how they want it to? Not being judgmental, just curious.

As far as I know, Tiffany does a curl-by-curl cut. The Deva cut isn't really anything special per se, except that it's especially for curly hair and so different from a typical cut, but it's still a curl-by-curl cut. How that type of cut is done is somewhat up to the interpretation of the stylist.

If someone with curly hair wants very long hair, then that's their goal above everything else, and having a curly cut isn't necessarily going to be what they want. And if you're wearing your hair up all the time, it probably doesn't really matter anyway. But if curl definition and pop is your primary goal, and you want to wear your hair down all the time, then a curly cut is worth it. So it really depends on what you want out of your hair, as far as benefit goes. For me, if my hair is long and flat, I'm not happy with it. I'd rather have it shorter and curlier.

ExpectoPatronum, your hair looks great! So glad to hear you're happy with the cut and the stylist.

JLeighs
April 11th, 2015, 09:40 PM

While I am trying to grow my hair (not super-long, but much longer than it is), I need some shape to get my curls to look their best and to avoid triangle hair. I want my hair to look good at whatever length it is, and I want movement and bounce. Traditional cuts never did that for me, but the Deva cuts sure do.

JLeighs
April 11th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Before and after pictures! (Warning, they're large)

Before... (http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/applesaucefireworks/B7DC5F9A-97F1-4306-965F-B9F5B4E07BC2.jpg)

After! (http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae109/applesaucefireworks/FCD874BB-AB9B-4912-94A8-8CA03823A3E8.jpg)

JLeighs, yay! I'm so happy you've found a stylist you love.

ZoSo, I got a deva cut to help make my hair more manageable and to give it some shape. Before I got the cut, my hair would just...hang there. The length was nice, but I was getting tired of my hair just being there. I go this cut to give some life back to my hair. It bounces. It has movement. Yeah, it's quite a bit shorter, but I'm so much happier with it now than I was when it was longer. I actually love my hair now.

Also...I hate to say it but DevaCurl products work very well on my hair. I wish they weren't so pricey :(

It looks gorgeous! What a great cut!!! :)

CurlyCap
April 11th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Is there a fundamental difference between a Deva cut & one by the Tiffany the Curl Whisper (live curly live free) in FL? Not sure if anyone here has had a cut done by her.

Thing is, if your hair is curly, it will always look full. Curls tend to expand to fill any given volume. So even if you cut such that the majority of your curls lose most of their length, you can still have length and volume.

Lots of people love the deva cut because the alternative, very curly hair that is all one length.. often doesn't look as curly as it actually is. There just isn't enough room on the scalp to let every curl do it's thing. People are always surprised at how curly my hair is when one little clump escapes. When I wear it all down, it's not as obvious anymore. There's just too much HAIR (which I like now, but I know I'm the exception to the rule).

I used to go to a woman for a custom cut, which these days would be called a deva cut. It was fantastic and very low maintanence. My hair as thinner, in the sense that my braids were less bulky. Super defined updos were harder, but those are difficult on my hair type anyway.

In fact, these last few years are my only attempt since childhood to try growing WITHOUT a deva cut and it's posing some major challenges as I pass TBL. I cut my own hair now, clump by clump at home, but take 1-2" off each clump instead of sculpting to promote length+thickness. Honestly, my life is easier because my hair isn't all one length, even though it's pretty close. I suspect when I'm tired of growing length....I'll end up getting my final length deva cut.

Kina
April 12th, 2015, 06:17 AM
thank you.

I'm hoping at some point to find a stylist. Your hair looks wonderful.

lapushka
April 12th, 2015, 07:04 AM
It looks pretty, yes it does! But it looks as though you lost quite a bit of length still. No?

ExpectoPatronum
April 12th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone!

lapushka, yeah she did cut quite a bit off, especially from the front. The back of my hair isn't that much shorter than it was, though. I kind of let her do her own thing because I don't really know what I like and don't like yet. Also, I had quite a bit of damage from constantly coloring my hair that I decided they needed to be taken off. I have to admit...having shorter hair is quite fun :D But next time, I'll probably request not taking so much length off the front.

lapushka
April 12th, 2015, 02:41 PM
lapushka, yeah she did cut quite a bit off, especially from the front. The back of my hair isn't that much shorter than it was, though. I kind of let her do her own thing because I don't really know what I like and don't like yet. Also, I had quite a bit of damage from constantly coloring my hair that I decided they needed to be taken off. I have to admit...having shorter hair is quite fun :D But next time, I'll probably request not taking so much length off the front.

No matter, it'll grow in this "pattern", so you'll get to enjoy the cut for way longer! :D And next time she'll just have to "touch up" a few bits. I'm glad she listened to you and didn't get the back chopped short (that would be a bummer). But layers are nice, esp. on wavy/curly hair. Ask me how I know. ;) I love my layering as well, even though it's "home-made". :)

Rapunzel_to_be
April 12th, 2015, 03:20 PM
It looks lovely!! Thank you for sharing :D

ExpectoPatronum
April 12th, 2015, 06:29 PM
I would like to confirm what Anje said about going to the beach and hair not being a complete mess.

Went to the beach for a few hours. It was super windy (as usual) and my hair actually still looks decent. It's a bit fuzzy, but my waves are still defined. It's kind of magical!