PDA

View Full Version : Lace Braiding?

thebacontree
April 1st, 2015, 11:16 AM
Hi, so ive been having problems with lace braiding any of my braids.
I can do english braids,fishtail braids, rope braids and french braids, but none of these
have worked when trying to lace braid them. It seems ever tutorial just ends with
"Just add in hair" and magically works. What could i be doing wrong?

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 11:31 AM
Let's talk about french braid now for clarity.

Normally you add more hair from left and right side when you do a regular french braid.

When you do a french lace braid, however, you only add more hair from either left or right side. Never on both sides. Which side you add from, depends on the design you are going for. (You can switch the side you add from in the middle of a braiding, if your style needs that, ofcourse. Say a zigzag type french lace braid. And you can make a hybrid braid, using for example both french braid and french lace braid in same style. You just need to plan in advance, from which side you are going to take hair at particular spot on the braiding process).

The same applies to all other french type braids (dutch, french rope, french fishtail...). You can use similar lace braiding technique on all of these french type braids (braids that are attached to your head), but not on normal braids than hang down from your head.

thebacontree
April 1st, 2015, 11:35 AM
yeah, might not be the clearest post. But for some reason, i add hair (to only 1 side) and the only thing happening is
that i just get a braid that is fatter on 1 side

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 11:48 AM
Hmm, I don't have that problem.

Maybe you without realizing, pull the other side tighter? As the braid progresses, (let's continue talking about lace french braid for clarity), each of the 3 strands will in turn be at the side, from which you add more hair, so each of the 3 strands should become thicker in the same speed with other strands. Are you added sections approximately of same size?

PS, you can always tug the already braided braid a little wider. Just gently grap the braid bumps one by one and widen the a little bit. If your braid is thicker on the other edge, you can only tug the thinner side wider and balance the size.

thebacontree
April 1st, 2015, 11:58 AM
I try keeping them all approximateliy the same size, allthough with the french and english braids i get results
resembling what it schould be (but not anything passable)

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 12:05 PM
By English braid, do you mean Dutch braid (the one that looks like English braid but is attached to the head, just like french braid). I ask, because English braid is usually the type of 3-strand braid that hangs down from your head, the most common braid. Dutch braid is "reversed french braid", looks like an english braid but is attacthed to your scalp hair.

I have a bit trouble picturing what you mean :C Do you have photos of you lace braid(s)? Maybe others have better ideas, I have to say I don't really know what to suggest next. :(

Larki
April 1st, 2015, 12:11 PM
I have the same problem with lace braids! I've given up on trying to learn them.

TrapperCreekD
April 1st, 2015, 12:17 PM
That's a head-scratcher... I wonder what's causing that? If my hair wasn't already up, I'd try some lace braids.

ETA: After a quick perusal of my hair folder, the lace braids I have pics of all appear to be even (no pancaking). :hmm:

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 12:20 PM
Yes I checked mine too (old pics), they seem even.

Yarrow
April 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM
Personally, I found this tutorial very helpful when learning how to lace braid http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/980889/how-to-lace-braid-hairstyle-tutorial

thebacontree
April 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM
Oh, yes. i meant dutch braids (sorry about the naming, not very familiar with all the terms). And i havent got any pictures.
Allthough things probably will get better with practice, i thought i was doing something wrong

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 01:08 PM
Oh no worries about the terminology, they can be really difficult to remember. I only wanted to clarify, so we are on the same page. Funny thing is, I don't know half of these braid names in my own language, only in English!

Meanwhile you practice, try to tugging of the thinner side wider as you braid: it really works!

thebacontree
April 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM
Thank you for that advice, i actually just tried and it seems to allready give better results. And now you say so, i wouldnt know how any of thes are called in my language :eek:

Hairkay
April 1st, 2015, 01:20 PM
One of these days I must try this. So far I do, English braids, Dutch braids, French braids, Fish braids, flat twists, something called a belly plait and cornrows. I also want to try the rope braid.

thebacontree
April 1st, 2015, 01:26 PM
One of these days I must try this. So far I do, English braids, Dutch braids, French braids, Fish braids, flat twists, something called a belly plait and cornrows. I also want to try the rope braid.

Id love to know how to do cornrows :D, one of these days.....

Hairkay
April 1st, 2015, 02:01 PM
Id love to know how to do cornrows :D, one of these days.....

Cornrows are just smaller Dutch braids.

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 02:03 PM
I read somewhere that you add hair to the middle strand when doing cornrows? I have never tried it that way.

Alexa
April 1st, 2015, 03:25 PM
I like Lillith Moon's tutorial, because she starts with a French braid across the front, then switches to a lace French braid, so you can see better what the difference is. Also, because her hair is so light, it's easier to see what's happening (IMO). Plus, she has written instructions in the video in several places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtxRKLg5fk

Alexa
April 1st, 2015, 03:26 PM
Makes me want a budgie, too!

Hairkay
April 1st, 2015, 03:28 PM
I read somewhere that you add hair to the middle strand when doing cornrows? I have never tried it that way.

I add hair to either strand when doing cornrows.

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 03:31 PM
Lilith's tutorial adds hair to the middle strand, which is unusual for french/french lace braid. It doesn't change the end results, but can be confusing for new braiders.

(Also as a side note, I always find it amazing, how dense her hair is even though she says it's "very thin" - she has never scalp showing! Her hair must be super fine but dense.)

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 03:32 PM
I add hair to either strand when doing cornrows.

Ok, so there are many ways then. Thank you for letting me know! I'd like to learn the adding to middle strand method, and gauge myself how/if it makes the braid look/feel different.