PDA

View Full Version : Thicker Hair - all in my head?

cdonald2
March 31st, 2015, 10:19 PM
I had a post recently about scalp breakouts. When I was younger I used to have BAD dandruff. Well, instead of flakes, i suppose i get breakouts instead now because I stared using "head and shoulders" (well actually off brand "topcare") and it seems to be helping with the scalp buildup and sores.

On top of that, its making my hair feel thicker and heavier (which is a good thing in my opinion). Can your hair thicken from using dandruff shampoo? or am I having a placebo effect here?

Nique1202
April 1st, 2015, 04:28 AM
It could be leaving some residue or buildup on your hair, making it feel thicker until you clarify, or if you haven't been conditioning sufficiently afterward then it's possible it's leaving your cuticle more open, which would make the hair feel a little bit thicker but also more porous. Depending on how long you've been using it, it's possible that some of the resources/nutrients that were going toward the breakouts on your scalp are now being redirected toward hair growth. But, I think it's more likely that it's causing buildup or a raised cuticle on your hair, especially if it's feeling thicker further down the hair shaft than it could have grown.

Yarrow
April 1st, 2015, 08:39 AM
I would take a look at my shed hairs and compare and contrast them.
You should be able to tell if the bottom of your hair is thinner than the top.
I have noticed the opposite, because I have hairs that are course and thick(er) on the bottom and on the top they transfer into thin and even hairs. When I bend the hair and see the bottom and top hair right next to each other it's a small but spot able difference.

lapushka
April 1st, 2015, 08:57 AM
I think the dandruff shampoo isn't cutting it if you still have issues. This might even be Seborrheic Dermatitis (SD) and you need treatment (preferably to see a doctor) for that. Over the counter Nizoral might be better to use. And yes, you might have a "thickened effect" because if treated well, SD will make you shed less than you did before. It needs to be treated well, though!

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 09:34 AM
I remember reading, that yes, the active ingredients in dandruff shampoos do make individual hairs a bit thicker. IIRC there is even some study/studies made about it, you can google them. That's one of the reasons, why these shampoos are popular with people who experience hair loss. (One other reasons is, that on some people, these shampoos can slow the shedding, and then there is the obvious, they can help with scalp issues.)

Yarrow
April 1st, 2015, 09:48 AM
Yes, I read the same but only about medical anti dandruff shampoos that contain piroctone olamine or something with an n.
Does head and shoulders have this ingredients?
You don't by any chance remember the ingredients name?

Anje
April 1st, 2015, 10:43 AM
Well, ketoconazole shampoos like Nizoral can thicken hair and speed growth and have had some studies done to support this. (Ketoconazole also happens to be chemically quite similar to miconazole, the active ingredient in Monistat. The going speculation is that miconazole thickens via similar mechanisms.) Your normal zinc pyrithione dandruff shampoo won't normally do that.

That said, my hair definitely feels fuller after shampooing compared to when I'm using a CO routine. Furthermore, most of these dandruff shampoos are fairly harsh -- it seems quite plausible that it's cleaning your hair out more and fluffing it up a bit.

cdonald2
April 1st, 2015, 10:15 PM
I have only been using head and shoulders for about 4 days. if i dont see improvement when im finished with the bottle. i will try some ketoconazole shampoos. So far it seems to be helping.