PDA

View Full Version : Makeshift night bonnet

Shibe
March 31st, 2015, 12:49 PM
I normally do two things to protect my hair at night:

Paranda braid
Satin nightgown over my pillow

I've discovered that I have worse breakage than before, mostly do to my ends sticking out like a porcupine in the braid. For the last few days I decided to go a completely different route.

I removed my satin nightgown from my pillow:
http://i.imgur.com/7riyVxN.jpg
And use the spaghetti strap end around my forehead. I then take my length and shake it away from the open end of the night gown (my hair is longer than the dress). I take the newly closed off end and use a stretchy scrunchie to secure the end at my nape.

The fabric keeps me from sweating, and my hair has been amazingly tangle free. I roll around a LOT due to being pregnant and it has never fallen off.

Hope this helps, I didn't want to spend the money to buy a new hair bonnet and my nightgown cant fit over my bump!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 31st, 2015, 01:52 PM
I normally do two things to protect my hair at night:

Paranda braid
Satin nightgown over my pillow

I've discovered that I have worse breakage than before, mostly do to my ends sticking out like a porcupine in the braid. For the last few days I decided to go a completely different route.

I removed my satin nightgown from my pillow:
http://i.imgur.com/7riyVxN.jpg
And use the spaghetti strap end around my forehead. I then take my length and shake it away from the open end of the night gown (my hair is longer than the dress). I take the newly closed off end and use a stretchy scrunchie to secure the end at my nape.

The fabric keeps me from sweating, and my hair has been amazingly tangle free. I roll around a LOT due to being pregnant and it has never fallen off.

Hope this helps, I didn't want to spend the money to buy a new hair bonnet and my nightgown cant fit over my bump!

That sounds pretty good to me!:) You are innovative:)

meteor
March 31st, 2015, 02:11 PM
Very clever idea, Shibe! :thumbsup:
I've tried something similar with a silk blouse (using collar area for the head opening), and it works like a charm and holds even better than a cap! Definitely too short for my hair, but nothing that coiling braid up can't fix.

I think my preferred method is wrapping my braid in a silk scarf... A silk scarf can also be used as a makeshift pillowcase, too - just wrap it around the pillow. Silk scarves are great for traveling with a makeshift silk "pillowcase". I love my haircare items to do double duty. ;)

Agnes Hannah
March 31st, 2015, 03:16 PM
Congrats on your pregnancy!
Glad to hear your hair is liking the new "sleepbonnet":cool:

Shibe
March 31st, 2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks!

I thought the paranda would be better, but I guess my hair just doesnt like being braided for long lengths of time :)

stachelbeere
April 2nd, 2015, 10:58 AM
Very clever idea, Shibe! :thumbsup:
I've tried something similar with a silk blouse (using collar area for the head opening), and it works like a charm and holds even better than a cap! Definitely too short for my hair, but nothing that coiling braid up can't fix.

I think my preferred method is wrapping my braid in a silk scarf... A silk scarf can also be used as a makeshift pillowcase, too - just wrap it around the pillow. Silk scarves are great for traveling with a makeshift silk "pillowcase". I love my haircare items to do double duty. ;)

yes - I also use a silk scarf as a makeshift travel pillowcase :D

Yarrow
April 2nd, 2015, 01:41 PM
Quite a creative thread. It has actually inspired me to buy a silk T-shirt. A dual usage one T-shirt during the day, hair cap at night. I am so excited to try it out.