PDA

View Full Version : Behold... The mother of all split ends! (*HUGE picture inside*)

Cania
March 31st, 2015, 07:06 AM
I was minding my own business doing a nice, calming S&D. Chopping away some white dots and the odd tiny split, feeling pretty good, when suddenly...

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u567/CaniaAers/DSC_0348_zpsyfvue6bu.jpg

How long has this monster been lurking at the back of my head?
Where did it come from?
Does it mean us harm?

I'm not even kidding. The picture isn't very clear but I count a total of 29 'branches' on this single strand.

Feel better about your own splits now? ;)

ETA: Huh, that picture looks much smaller out of preview mode..

laceyfairy
March 31st, 2015, 07:07 AM
Wow! That is pretty cool. Nice job getting it out

Wosie
March 31st, 2015, 07:09 AM
Now that is impressive! :agree: I don't think I've ever seen a split end like that before. It looks like the hair has got eyelashes!

Swan Maiden
March 31st, 2015, 07:10 AM
Ack! It looks like a flea leg! I get a morbid curiosity/satisfaction from split ends.

missblueeyes
March 31st, 2015, 07:10 AM
Wow! I've never seen something like that on my own head yet. Very impressive!

DreamSheep
March 31st, 2015, 07:12 AM
My hair is so fine it would never split so much... it would be gone and vanished in an abyss :p

That is very impressive, I think you should name it! Also, super tough hair you have that it was still hanging in there ;)

Cania
March 31st, 2015, 07:18 AM
I knew you ladies would get it, I had to show someone :laugh:

I think you should name it!

I was thinking Kraken, for her many legs.

NikitaRM
March 31st, 2015, 07:32 AM
Oh my god :eek:I am stunned...

Nique1202
March 31st, 2015, 07:42 AM
I wish I'd been able to get a decent picture of it, but I once found a hair with about 8 splits on it. MSPaint approximation:

http://i57.tinypic.com/jg64p4.png

I've found one other, similar to that one but with only 3 splits on the feathered off part, but they've been pretty rare which is nice because otherwise I think I'd just chop it all off and start over again.

lapushka
March 31st, 2015, 07:49 AM
That's pretty awesome. Well, not so much if you find it in your hair, but to see... yeah. :)

spidermom
March 31st, 2015, 08:02 AM
I haven't seen one of those around here for awhile, thank goodness. Kracken is a great name.

Akville
March 31st, 2015, 08:15 AM
this one was amazing... I have never seen anything like that..

ooglipoo
March 31st, 2015, 08:17 AM
They look pretty evenly spaced too! Impressive.

I wonder if it was caught in a zipper?

RainbowBowser
March 31st, 2015, 08:41 AM
I'm horrified and impressed!

Wildcat Diva
March 31st, 2015, 08:45 AM
Whoa, let's hope she doesn't have any friends.

hinabelle
March 31st, 2015, 08:54 AM
Ick! Glad you got rid of it. Must have been a shock to find! shudder:

Anje
March 31st, 2015, 09:06 AM
Only on LHC.....

Yes, I've taken pictures of impressive splits and posted them, too! I think the funniest part is that we all "get" it.

pastina
March 31st, 2015, 09:10 AM
ok, i'm also impressed, but... AAAHH!!! kill it with FIREEE!!! :run:

swearnsue
March 31st, 2015, 10:23 AM
That is magnificent! Kraken, the Mother of All Split Ends!

Arctic
March 31st, 2015, 10:32 AM
Wow you have some strong hair! I wonder if this is an example of split traveling inside the hairshaft? It looks like the cuticle is sort of peeled off but still attached, yet the main body of the hair is - I can't think of good word - untouched, or whole or something :)

Nadine <3
March 31st, 2015, 10:36 AM
Wow, Kraken! What a monster find! I'm glad you shared it, my hair is so fine it would dissolve if it split that much!

Islandgrrl
March 31st, 2015, 10:44 AM
Holy moly! That's amazing. I've never seen a split like that (and I hope never to find on my head!).

Reminds me of a feather boa......sexay..... :silly:

Wavelength
March 31st, 2015, 10:49 AM
Okay, that thing is impressive. I've had multi-split hairs before, but nothing like that!

Lady Katherine
March 31st, 2015, 10:54 AM
Wow just...........wow. That's pretty impressive. The most splits I've had in one stand of hair was five, and I thought that has bad!

Calaelen
March 31st, 2015, 10:55 AM
I would be proud if my hair could do that. Most of it is far too fine.

*ReiKa*
March 31st, 2015, 11:07 AM
WOW, that is something!!! :thud: I am too shocked and intrigued at the same time!
I have actually found something similar in my hair in the past... it wasn't THAT impressive, but still... it was a split end with at least another 3-4 "branches" along it... pretty disgusting... and I can't remember what I did with it to be honest....

butter52
March 31st, 2015, 11:22 AM
What on earth???

Ok we either have to burn it for sorcery or adorate it as our new god. I vote for the later.

Oh god of many splits, the Kraken is released!

Emanon
March 31st, 2015, 11:36 AM
What a scary monster! My hair would break into pieces before ever reaching a fourth split.

Angela_Rose
March 31st, 2015, 11:57 AM
I had an eleven-branch monster once, but TWENTY NINE? My goodness!

sarah.j.xx
March 31st, 2015, 12:01 PM
Woah. :run I've had some pretty bad splits before, but nothing as big as that! Impressive; Kraken is the perfect name for it.

schnibbles
March 31st, 2015, 12:01 PM
That is such a cool hair... what a trooper to still be hangin' in there like that. She has seen some things, lived her life to the fullest, obviously. :D

MINAKO
March 31st, 2015, 12:09 PM
OMG, i have seen any number of gorror movies without even blinking, but this would have left me sleepless for a week. It most likely one of those exeptions, and even if you look for it you wont find another one that comes even close... But still, the mere thought of it, eeeek.
And i thought 3 fairy knots in a lined up in a single strand were impressively unusual, but this, woooah.

meteor
March 31st, 2015, 12:24 PM
Oh my Gosh! Incredible! :lol: I'm so impressed with your hair's strength... :thud: Your M/C classification must stand for "Mega-Coarse"-Indestructible!
Surviving 29 splits and still going strong... Wow! I hope you'll save Mr. Kraken for hair museum that hopefully, with LHC effort, will open some day! ;)

Shibe
March 31st, 2015, 12:25 PM
I've found those too, always terrifying but impressive at the same time!

Orange Queen
March 31st, 2015, 12:29 PM
Wow.
This has to be a record of some sort :D

Agnes Hannah
March 31st, 2015, 03:31 PM
Yep that's a bit of a beast!!
Not sure whether to say congratulations or commiserations!!
Wow!

MeAndTheMaz
March 31st, 2015, 03:43 PM
What on earth???

Ok we either have to burn it for sorcery or adorate it as our new god. I vote for the later.

Oh god of many splits, the Kraken is released!

I vote for that latter also. Lest The Great Split God Kraken smite us all. :couch:

What do you sacrifice to a beast like that?

Thinthondiel
March 31st, 2015, 03:45 PM
That's not a split end, that's a hair growing hair. ;)

Larki
March 31st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Haha oh my gosh, that's amazing! I think the most I've found is like four of those on one hair.

cathair
March 31st, 2015, 05:54 PM
LOL that's brilliant, think you have coined a new term there :D Someone ought to add the to the words and abbreviations page. From this day forward, all multi-splits should be called krackens :)

divinedobbie
March 31st, 2015, 06:21 PM
Very impressive! woW!

endlessly
March 31st, 2015, 06:26 PM
Wow, that is both terrifying and incredible all at the same time!

DeadlyUnicorn
March 31st, 2015, 07:52 PM
Oh my god....

TrapperCreekD
March 31st, 2015, 07:56 PM
:thud::run: I don't know whether to be amazed or terrified, or amazingly terrified.

IndyAndy
March 31st, 2015, 08:08 PM
I vote for that latter also. Lest The Great Split God Kraken smite us all. :couch:

What do you sacrifice to a beast like that?

*anoints the altar of the great Kraken with coconut oil & monistat*

Totally blown away by this split. Truly a Kraken!

Chocowalnut
March 31st, 2015, 08:19 PM
Looks like that strand got caught on a zipper and pulled through or something

lapis_lazuli
March 31st, 2015, 09:02 PM
Eek! That's terrifying! At least it's off your head now :lol:

MeAndTheMaz
March 31st, 2015, 10:03 PM
True dat. It can no longer incite rebellion.

PennyQuin
March 31st, 2015, 10:31 PM
It's by far the best split end I have ever seen in my entire life. We should maybe start a competition for the best amazing split ends of the year. Kraken would be the winner :D

Federica
April 1st, 2015, 02:43 AM
Sometimes I get some of these split monsters, too.
I think they're caused by ponytail holders/elastic bands if pulled back towards the roots.

CastaDiva
April 1st, 2015, 03:01 AM
I'm tempted to say congratulations, because that is one impressive split! :) Your hair must be a real fighter, so many splits on one hair and still refusing to break off.

Charybdis
April 1st, 2015, 03:12 AM
DUDE! That is *amazing*. I think 4 or 5 offshoots is as much as my splits have ever managed. I bow down before your hair's survival skills. :lol:

Mimha
April 1st, 2015, 03:17 AM
That's not a split end, that's a hair growing hair. ;)

Ha ha ha ha ! Kraken, the Hairy Hair ! :D :D Definitely worth shelter in a museum : imagine what that poooor guy has undergone to survive 29 splits^^

If I had to give it a generic name, I would call Kraken a "feather split" (somebody else mentioned it somewhere in the thread^^). It's not so crazy : feathers appeared when animals started to have splited scales of some sorts, and it turned out to be an advantage as it kept warmth far better (normal : a hair with fur^^^). Maybe Cania has experienced a spontaneous mutation to future "feather haired" LHCers ???

Yeah, this gives me an idea : I will collect my funny/crazy splits and paste them in my hair diary, like I used to do before with dried plants^^ I have a 10x and 20x magnifying glasses for botanics and geology, so it's going to be fun ! :cheese:

Well, not to be shown to any unprepared or unconcerned people if you don't want to be called a dangerous hair weirdo :eyebrows:

Thanks a lot for sharing, Cania. Kraken is amazing !! :D

betterhairday
April 1st, 2015, 09:06 AM
Love the name Kraken. Never seen one like it ever. Mine were normal 2-way split.

crystalkiss
April 1st, 2015, 10:43 AM
Where did it come from?
Does it mean us harm?
ROFL.
That is indeed impressive! Wow! (Also this thread has been highly entertaining. XD)

mzlbcmami
April 23rd, 2015, 10:24 AM
lol wow! That is one trooper piece of hair lol:popcorn:

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
April 23rd, 2015, 12:16 PM
Whoa. :disbelief Both horrifying and impressive.

Zwaluw
April 24th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure if I'm impressed or horrified, thankfully it's off OP's head now!

cat11
April 25th, 2015, 10:27 AM
i keep going back to look at this thing even though it makes my stomach turn, lol.

It makes me wonder if I have these on my head cuz I dont s&d. But when I try to s&d i cant find anything. Is it my hair not having them (doubt it, I have damaged dyed ends) or is it that they are too fine to see? I dont know how to find out.

Ephemia
April 25th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Oh my goodness... And I thought I'd had bad ones!

Kiiruna
April 25th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Some should do a horror movie about that.