PDA

View Full Version : In need of hairstyle suggestions!

afinemess
March 30th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I'm enrolled in a nurse aid training program coming up soon, and I have a tough situation.

One of the dress code requirements is to have long hair contained as much as possible. Another requirement is to have all tattoos covered up.

I have a tattoo on the back of my neck, so most bun-type updos would leave the tattoo exposed.

Does anyone know of some good, sturdy updos that will help me meet both requirements? Also, they say no jewelry or makeup, so I assume my hairstyle should be as plain as possible. :confused:

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 02:44 PM
That's really tricky: neck tattoo shouldn't be visible but hair can't perhaps be used to cover it. Does the makeup also mean neck or just face? I mean those very pigmented makeups that would cover the tattoo temporarily - I bet you would learn to use them quickly, so it would only take few moments in the morning. If it's not bun, then it has to be braids? I think you would want to wear bun, though, think of all the possible places where your braid could glide into.

afinemess
March 30th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Arctic, that's what I was thinking. I'm looking on YouTube to see if anyone shows styles that extend over the back of the neck but I'm losing hope.

Worst case scenario - cover tattoo with heavy makeup (hopefully sweat wouldn't make it messy - sometimes nursing is sweaty work) or possibly slap a big bandage over it and hope nobody asks what happened. :whistle:

afinemess
March 30th, 2015, 02:51 PM
They also say a white shirt under scrubs is acceptable, so I'm thinking "Turtleneck?" I don't even own a turtleneck. :laugh:

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 02:55 PM
How about this one: https://locksofelegance.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/late-victorian-triple-braided-tuck/

The person has thick curly hair, but I have seen this done with many hairtypes, and it looks elegant! You can spread the braids a little wider.

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Turtleneck is great idea!

I think those makeup that are meant for heavy duty covering are sweat proof. Joe Blasco and Vichy Dermablend come to mind.

meteor
March 30th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I'd use tattoo-covering makeup. There are many on the market these days.

For hairstyles, consider a Gibson Tuck (http://www.missysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/tuck-and-cover-french-braid-missysueblog.png) or Braided Tuck (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/92/7c/94927c6ebe81137bd21209918e094450.jpg) or low chignon (http://www.missysue.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/tuck-and-cover-french-braid-half-and-bun-missysue-blog.png) or this Victorian style presented by MINAKO today (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130612). It really depends on the exact size/location of your tattoo, but these styles *might* be able to cover up a smaller tattoo really close to nape hair.

Federica
March 30th, 2015, 02:58 PM
First thing that came to my mind is a tucked braid, maybe it can do the job!

afinemess
March 30th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Yeah, the more I look in the mirror I'm starting to think it's hopeless to try to use my hair to cover it. The hair would have to hang to about shoulder level to cover the silly thing. I guess I'll be shopping for cover up. :D

Perhaps I could rig up a time machine and go back to before I got this tattoo and talk myself into NOT getting it. :P

afinemess
March 30th, 2015, 03:01 PM
I so appreciate the suggestions. Those are such pretty styles that I think I'll bookmark them for use on other occasions!

MINAKO
March 30th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I was just about to suggest the folded ponytail thing again.
there are versions for shorter hair as well, it looks like you are around BSL, so i would do one fold. Sort of like this

http://youtu.be/xw0kMasuBro

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 03:11 PM
The thing with these neck covering hairstyles is, that they rub against the neck all day, and that can be very irritating in the long run. They look beautiful, but I personally can't stand wearing them long. I am highly sensitive to that kinds of thing, and always want to keep my neck free.

The tattoo covering makeup is probably the best idea (turtleneck too, especially on colder weather), but maybe you can ask your teachers what they would suggest. You might have not been the first student with same situation.

afinemess
March 30th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Good idea about asking the teachers. I was looking at the Facebook page for the school I'm going to, and the pictures of past classes show girls with their hair down. I think perhaps the rule about hair being contained is only for the times when we actually go to the hospital. I know we'll be going to the local VA hospital and they're very strict about appearance. It's not the school who has the rules, but the hospital itself. So maybe the teachers can let me know what will and won't be acceptable.

meteor
March 30th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Good idea about asking the teachers. I was looking at the Facebook page for the school I'm going to, and the pictures of past classes show girls with their hair down. I think perhaps the rule about hair being contained is only for the times when we actually go to the hospital. I know we'll be going to the local VA hospital and they're very strict about appearance. It's not the school who has the rules, but the hospital itself. So maybe the teachers can let me know what will and won't be acceptable.

Great idea! :thumbsup: Also, if you ask them about hairstyles, maybe double-check about visible tattoos, as well? ;) Keeping hair up for nursing job seems reasonable, since it's a very physical job, but covering all tattoos - I'm not 100% sure, after all, so many people have tattoos these days, I'd check with them for their current rules. :) In a hospital, they might prefer absence of additional (possibly perfume-laden) make-up product to form/style. ;)

browneyedsusan
March 30th, 2015, 03:51 PM
A neck-scarf or bandana?

swords & roses
March 30th, 2015, 04:13 PM
You said you can wear a white shirt under your scrubs, correct? Can you wear a collared white shirt, like a button-up blouse or a polo, so that the collar covers the tat? Only hairstyle I can think up would be a folded pony tail with the hem left down long enough to cover the tat, but I know that'd drive me bonkers pretty quick.

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Sounds logical that the rules might apply to hospital practice only; lets hope so!

I remembered, that one of our former member used to ask permission from the hospital she worked at, to use headcovering. The type you might see on some religious people, it also covered her neck. It looked like an oldfashioned nurse's headcovering. She wanted to use it so her very long hair would be the subject of interest (and touching) by the patients. It's a bit extreme, but if it comes to that, maybe that is one option too?

Unicorn
March 30th, 2015, 04:25 PM
They also say a white shirt under scrubs is acceptable, so I'm thinking "Turtleneck?" I don't even own a turtleneck. :laugh:

I'm wondering if any makeup would rub off onto your collar through the day?

I also thought of a plaster, but further to your turtleneck idea. Have you heard of a "Dickie Neck Warmer"? It's just the neck and chest/back plate portion of a turtle neck. They're not that easy to find these days, but you could buy or make a few to wear at work. It can cover your neck without the all over extra layer if it get too warm. Here's a sample.

http://www.hanksclothing.com/dickie_neck_warmer_with_turtleneck...ganka_buy.htm l

Unicorn

butter52
March 30th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Can you wear a small thin scarve?

QMacrocarpa
April 3rd, 2015, 05:28 AM
Lightweight buff (http://www.buffusa.com/) in white perhaps?

afinemess
April 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM
In case anybody is still wondering, I have a solution to this issue! I emailed the school and told them my situation, and the response I got was, "A ponytail pinned at the bottom should do the trick."

I tried a simple low ponytail to see how it would look, but the tattoo is kind of wide so the sides still showed a little. Then I got the idea to use one of those flat barrettes to make a wide, flat ponytail so it would cover the whole thing. Here is the result:

http://i.imgur.com/mAuoM86.jpg?1

Now, the only issue I'm having is my hair is too slippery and the barrette slides right down with minimal movement. I'm think I could maybe use hairspray to make my hair a bit stickier... anyone have an idea for that?

Anywho... I thank you all so much for taking the time to help me sort this out! You're the best. :p

swords & roses
April 12th, 2015, 02:06 PM
My hair is too slippery for barrettes without employing the trick of using a hair tie with it. For your purposes, you could split your hair into thirds (like if you were going to braid it), secure the center section into a low ponytail with a hair tie, then secure all three sections together with the barrette, placing it just above the hair tie. That should keep the barrette from slipping while still giving a wide look to the ponytail to hide your tattoo. Hope that helps!

cat11
April 12th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Maybe a hanging bee butt style bun. or a braid.folded up so it couldn't swing around.but still laid.over your.neck. like braid it. fold up, secure with a flexi? also you could do a faux bob torrin Paige has a video for that. or a bob wig.

For the barrette idea, spray type dry shampoo gives a grabby texture

divinedobbie
April 12th, 2015, 05:13 PM
I agree with the dry shampoo making your hair less slippery. Also very gently folding/twisting my hair once over itself and then fastening the barrette adds the texture to keep it still. You could also look into getting a slightly smaller barrette that fits more tightly.

I really love neck tattoos and I've always held off of one for this reason. I'm sad that it really is an issue.

rags
April 12th, 2015, 05:24 PM
You can wrap a very small hair tie around the "tongue" of the barrette if it's sturdy enough. It will give you enough traction that the hair won't slip out. You can also glue a piece of velvet to the barrette. (I might just have slippery hair..........:p )

ETA: If i want that type of pony (low and wide) I tend to use a Flexi with a hairband wrapped around the pin, as they are sturdier than most drugstore barrettes for me.

afinemess
April 12th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Awesome suggestions, ladies! I think I'll go with a combination of dry shampoo on the hair before, and then using an elastic on a section of hair to give the barrette something to sit on top of.

I'll let you know how it goes!

My class begins tomorrow so I'm pretty nervous. I have my lunch packed - Lunchable, Kool-Aid Jammer, and a Hostess cake. I feel like a preschooler. :cool:

Wish me luck!

swords & roses
April 12th, 2015, 06:06 PM
I subsist on packed lunches of PBJ sandwiches every weekday. Your lunchbox is filled with awesome!

I never thought to put a hair tie on the barrette itself. Makes total sense, though!

Best of luck tomorrow!

Arctic
April 13th, 2015, 12:04 AM
I'm glad you have found solution(s)! If dry shampoo isn't grippy enough, try a product called hair powder, it's super grippy!

Also, there is a thread at the conventional product forum now about product called Pony-O or something similar. It looks like it would also give you a wider spread of ponytail but seems much less damaging than a barette. It's velvet material and apparently good for also slippery hair. Now I have NO personal experience with them at all, and have never seen them in real life, but they did pop to my mind as I read your update.

Good luck for your first day!

ETA: The thread I mentioned: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130802

browneyedsusan
April 13th, 2015, 05:59 AM
Let us know how your first day goes, OP! :)