PDA

View Full Version : Easy victorian bun pictorial

MINAKO
March 30th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I just posted this in another thread and since most members who saw it stated they didnt know the style yet i thought it would qualify for a seperate thread and is in need for a name.
I traced back the picture and also found alot of other historical illustrations with pretty awesome updos. :)

http://decimonono.tumblr.com/tagged/victorian-hair

http://picload.org/image/iglilrp/image.jpg

Timea
March 30th, 2015, 12:17 PM
what happens between picture 3 and picture 4?

ooglipoo
March 30th, 2015, 12:20 PM
That's really pretty, MINAKO!

Have you tried it yet? We must see this on an actual head of hair!

.... hmmmm.... the kids are home from school, and they have long hair!

I wonder how you secure it in the end?

Larki
March 30th, 2015, 12:21 PM
what happens between picture 3 and picture 4?
Yeah, I find this very confusing as well. I need words! The pictures aren't telling me anything.

Linguaphilia
March 30th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Oh, that looks great! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this out.

ooglipoo
March 30th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Looks like the bottom of the pony tail is split into two pieces. Then... argh. That is hard to articulate, isn't it?

MINAKO
March 30th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I haven't tried it myself yet. Had it saved somewhere and remembered as another member was asking of ways to do a looped ponytail. I would personally wear this with myhair straight as it really feathers out evenly then and also i get some awesome whispies falling out and around my face. Some Geisha hairstyles are actually pretty similar using that folding technique but much more complicated, so this is great to do without a second pair of hands. I will try it and would love to see other members turn on this as well.

ETA: it really shows everything, haha, maybe it depends how we look at it but yes the bottom part splits in half and wraps in opposite directions around the base.
the top part is flipped under and the bottom part over against itself. Much like a figure 8.

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Looks like the first (uppermost) poof is pinned to the scalp hair to produce the first roll of an updo.

The second poof is folded as pictured, and probably pinned too.

The ends look like they are twisted before bringing them up. They are probably tucked inside the poofs/rolls to give them more substance. The final product looks like there is a barette as a decoration where the twists cross eachother, and it probably helps to hold the updo also.

Swan Maiden
March 30th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I like it. I wonder if once its all folded and tied if it is floppy.

MINAKO
March 30th, 2015, 12:36 PM
You dont need pins for the rolls, just flip them and then the ends wrap around the base. You could actually secure them under the entire thing with one more elastic, or you could finish with a single spin pin too of course.

meteor
March 30th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Love it! :D Reminds me a bit of some 17th century wigs with those perfectly formed long rolls/locks a bit. Also, with long hair, one can probably do more than just 2 rolls. :hmm:

I like it. I wonder if once its all folded and tied if it is floppy.

I wonder about the same. actually. It looks like it would take quite a bit of pinning to keep perfectly secure. Or maybe they used a ton of pomade or other products to help secure it? :hmm:

MINAKO
March 30th, 2015, 12:56 PM
I think it would be quite floppy on hair thats past hip, but you could also make the last part longer or even add one more roll. With the ends going around the base at least two times it would hold pretty decent i guess. I think it would look amazing finished with a fork on top tho, that would also give some extra stability.

meteor
March 30th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I think it would be quite floppy on hair thats past hip, but you could also make the last part longer or even add one more roll. With the ends going around the base at least two times it would hold pretty decent i guess. I think it would look amazing finished with a fork on top tho, that would also give some extra stability.

:agree: Definitely! :D An ornamental fork would be amazing... or a beautiful 19th c. comb, a la Rene Lalique (https://www.google.ca/search?q=rene+lalique+comb&biw=1366&bih=634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o6IZVbP0Mon2yQSBw4DQCw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ). :crush:

Clarkie
March 30th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Looks like the bottom of the pony tail is split into two pieces. Then... argh. That is hard to articulate, isn't it?

I think you are right, the bottom of the ponytail is split, the 2 halves are then brought together at the top and perhaps fastened with a barrette of some sort? Definitely going to play around with this. :)

MINAKO
March 30th, 2015, 02:16 PM
:agree: Definitely! :D An ornamental fork would be amazing... or a beautiful 19th c. comb, a la Rene Lalique (https://www.google.ca/search?q=rene+lalique+comb&biw=1366&bih=634&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=o6IZVbP0Mon2yQSBw4DQCw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ). :crush:

Don't get me started on Lalique combs, haha. I love them, but i have never found anything that would even come close and i think the only way to get an original is to be extreme lucky on 1stdibs or something. :eek:

browneyedsusan
March 30th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Ooh! That is super cool!
I'd love to see pics if any of you try it! --I think I still have too many layers?--

RitaD
April 2nd, 2015, 11:45 AM
Hi! I'm Rita and I run that tumblr blog. I just want to let you know that I've updated the post (http://decimonono.tumblr.com/post/115118595504/1866-explicacion-del-peinado-a-dos-cocas-la-moda) with the original explanation for the hairstyle and an english translation. I'd love to see some pictures too :)

Neecola
April 2nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
Hi RitaD, thanks for clarifying that! I can see now in the pictures the loose cord which gets tied around the base.

MINAKO
April 2nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Hi! I'm Rita and I run that tumblr blog. I just want to let you know that I've updated the post (http://decimonono.tumblr.com/post/115118595504/1866-explicacion-del-peinado-a-dos-cocas-la-moda) with the original explanation for the hairstyle and an english translation. I'd love to see some pictures too :)

Hi, really cool that you spontaneously joined the clan. I guess you could see us linking to your blog and drooling over these updos. Thank yu so much for putting all these together, great collection to get i spiration from.
Are you also interested in long hair for yourself or just happen to like these historical sortof things. Im really curious.
Anyways. Welcome to LHC. I hope you find some threads to dive in to if you arent already hair-crazy anyways. :)

Peggy E.
April 2nd, 2015, 12:25 PM
I just posted this in another thread and since most members who saw it stated they didnt know the style yet i thought it would qualify for a seperate thread and is in need for a name.
I traced back the picture and also found alot of other historical illustrations with pretty awesome updos. :)

http://decimonono.tumblr.com/tagged/victorian-hair

http://picload.org/image/iglilrp/image.jpg

Looks like you use the tie from the first poof to attach it to the top of the pony. The loose sections from the second is brought up under the first poof, creating the second poof, then they're wrapped around the poofs. You could even create a rope braid then wrap around.

She appears to have some accessory on top of this wrap, but you could probably set an antique comb, too.

I'm definitely going to try this!

Peggy E.
April 2nd, 2015, 12:29 PM

Yes, making three poofs should make the style more manageable for longer hair. I have tb, but thin, hair, so not quite sure what this is going to look like on me.

Peggy E.
April 2nd, 2015, 12:31 PM
Don't get me started on Lalique combs, haha. I love them, but i have never found anything that would even come close and i think the only way to get an original is to be extreme lucky on 1stdibs or something. :eek:

Don't you imagine they are in museum and private collections and only show up at high-end auctions? If I ever have mucho thousands of dollars with nothing better to do with them, I'm going to hunt one of those babies down!

MINAKO
April 2nd, 2015, 01:05 PM
I habe a hard time to estimate a price for these combs, because i never saw them in any auction catalog. I do love killing some time on Sotheby's or Vhristies website to look at new lots when they are listed, but not one did i come over one of those. So i'm not sure if that would mean 5k or 25k. I would be fine with a detailed replica that i could wear without soiling my pants in case that thing falls out my bun, hahaha.
Have you seen thecream colored orchid one? i think this was my favorite. And i have seen celluloid and gold batwing by another maker that i cant remember right now. Sad that there are hardly any masters of craftsmanship left.

butterfly_dream
April 2nd, 2015, 01:36 PM
Speaking of hair combs, one great looking Rene Lalique Horn Comb was sold at Christie's for over $90.000 (the starting price was $20.000, if I remember well). The jewellery hair combs have the mid-range price of $250.000.
:cry: :cry:

RitaD
April 6th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Hi again. Sorry it took so long to answer but I was away for the weekend. Yes, the traffic from this site was crazy, like 50-60 visitors a day when I usually get 10 hits on a regular day, and I was like "long hair community? how I don't know about this place?" because I've had long hair all my life (it's almost at hip lenght right now). I feel at home already.

MINAKO
April 6th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Oh thats great we got a new member this way.
And i would totally suggest this as a hairstyle of the month. The only problem i see now is how are we gonna save up for this fancy antique toys :'''( I want a replica of the lalique orchid, ...come on now laser print technology!

cat11
April 11th, 2015, 05:54 PM
This is great, thanks for sharing MINAKO :) I wanna try it now! Im off to cut up thin ribbon peaces for hair cords.

Wavelength
April 11th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Has anyone tried this yet? If so, need pics. :wink:

Savvyhorsez
April 11th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Wow, looks so easy! I wonder if that would look good with fine and thin hair.

Lorzi
April 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM
So different looking! I love the historical styles that ladies used to do in their hair. Love the drawings of the hair too, haha! Definitely want to see this done, looking forward to pics :)