PDA

View Full Version : Will sweat damage my hair?

Budgie
March 30th, 2015, 08:31 AM
I was wondering if my current hair routine will damage my hair. I work out twice a day (and shower after both), and wash my hair during the night shower. During my morning workout I notice that the bottom-back and sides of my scalp are sweaty. It's not a visible wetness in my hair, but I can feel it if I run my fingers through my hair. Usually I just shower without washing it and let it evaporate since I want to avoid water damage.

Should I rinse it out every morning or should I leave it?

Wildcat Diva
March 30th, 2015, 08:35 AM
I think leave it.

Anje
March 30th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Hair seems to do just fine with sweat. Might look a little greasy since the sweat carries the oils out onto the hair, but it shouldn't be a problem otherwise.

Nique1202
March 30th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Sweat is just water and oils and salts, basically, and while wet hair is more fragile, if the hair isn't totally drenched with sweat and you're not manipulating your hair a lot while it's sweaty, your daily washing is more likely to cause damage to your hair than a bit of sweat. As long as you don't mind the appearance of the sweat after your morning workout and your current routine works for you, it's probably fine.

Arctic
March 30th, 2015, 09:02 AM
It's more likely that your scalp will not like the sweat than that your hair would be damaged. I get irritated scalp if I leave it sweaty, but seeing your excersice so much, it would seem excessive to rinse after each time. I don't know, maybe a quick blast with blowdrier on scalp (on cool setting) would help to avoid skin irritations?

yogagirl
March 30th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Agreed. Your hair will be fine, but watch your scalp. I can't work out, get my scalp sweaty and not wash it. I get itchy scalp, and eventually it lead to SD issues.

If you do notice scalp itchiness after you do this, don't ignore it, would be my advice.

Budgie
March 30th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Thankfully my scalp never itches from sweat.

Wildcat Diva
March 30th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Some times I try a bit of rooibos tea sprayed on my roots to freshen things up if I don't like what sweat does to my roots/ scalp.

lapushka
March 30th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Another vote to leave it. Sweat isn't the end of the world, and if it isn't greasy within a day, I'd leave it until it goes greasy as well; if you don't have scalp issues.

sarah.j.xx
March 30th, 2015, 03:49 PM
I agree with everyone else; I don't think sweat will do any damage to your hair. :)

Squiggy
March 30th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Leave it. I wash 2x/week most of the year, maybe 3 in the summer depending on just how sweaty I've gotten, and run marathons and half marathons year round. I'm a big time sweater (gross, yes) and it gets sweaty at the roots, but a little dry shampoo helps, or blowdrying the scalp on cool. Pay attention to your scalp, and switch shampoos if you find your scalp gets irritated.

endlessly
March 30th, 2015, 07:47 PM
Sweating shouldn't do any damage to your hair, but it can cause some slight irritation to your scalp, so that's what I would really suggest keeping an eye on.