PDA

View Full Version : Protective haircare products and heat tools

Orange Queen
March 30th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I'm trying to avoid heat (dryers, curlers, etc.) at all costs but failing miserably.
I avoid heat tools like the plague usually, but since I got my hair bobbed it's almost impossible.

I'm really not used to wearing my hair down all the time, but it's way too short to put up , and even if I do manage to get most of it up, the uber short hair at the back stick out in every possible direction.

If I wash my hair and let it dry naturally, it just hangs there, stick straight and flat. That I can deal with( even though it makes the back of my head appear flat lol), because at least it hangs down straight.
The problem is that in the morning I have no time to wash my hair, and I wash it the night before.
I now wake up looking like Sonic the Hedgehog :)
Tried wrapping my hair at night, but end up waking up with hair plastered to my head like a helmet which is even worse.

So now every morning I have to slightly re wet my hair to get rid of the bends, and kind of nudge it in the right direction. If I'm running out of time the easiest thing to do is of course to blast it with a hair dryer and use the dreaded round brush ( I cringe when I use it ha ha)

I hate doing that, but in order to look somewhat presentable, I have no way of avoiding it.

Seems counterproductive that I cut off my damaged hair so that it can grow back healthy, baby it with oils and hair masques, but now ruining it with heat.
I'm actually liking the state that my hair is in now, and would like to keep it that way :)

I can stretch 2-3 days between washing my hair, so it's not a daily thing, and most days wear a headband to push the hair back, so at least the most delicate hair in the front is getting the least abuse.

I try to stay away from heavy hair products as well. Using aloe vera for smoothing down the whispies, but sometimes have to use hairspray ( the gentlest hold that I could find) to get the hair to stay where I want it to.

What can I use to minimize the damage but that doesn't weight the hair down?

How does everyone avoid heat styling tools yet look presentable?

Aaaargh, so many questions!

lapushka
March 30th, 2015, 08:01 AM
A hot tool is *too* much heat, that's heat styling. But a blow dryer is actually okay, if you use it right. No roundbrushing! And if you can't use it on cool, because the blow dryer isn't designed that way, here's a little tip. If you can hold your hand in the airstream long enough without it burning, then it's okay of a heat to use on your hair. It won't damage it.

Nique1202
March 30th, 2015, 08:53 AM
How do you feel about braid waves? Your hair should be long enough to do twin dutch or french braids, maybe even a single one on top depending on your texture. Waves add volume, too, and can still look totally professional.

Orange Queen
March 30th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Lapushka, that makes sense.
My dryer does have a "cool" setting on it, so I've been going with that. Still feel guilty though :)
This board put the fear of styling tools deep into my core lol
I'll just moisturize it more when I do blow dry.

Nique1202
Will try to single french braid it overnight to get some volume on top, thanks for the idea!
I did that sometimes on longer hair, and always left the ends a bit loose so that there wasn't a crimp right where the elastic hit.
Will figure out some method for the shorter hair.

Hate that I have to fuss with my hair so much when I should be treating it like silk.

Any alternatives for a round brush?

meteor
March 30th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Since you wash your hair at night, have you tried using foam-rollers or other soft rollers, especially in very large, "jumbo" size, for damp-setting hair overnight? At this length, it will give you straight hair with good volume at the roots. No need to use product (if you don't want to) and no need to style in the morning - just take out rollers and you are ready to go. And it's damage-free. :D

lapushka
March 30th, 2015, 01:04 PM
The only jumbo size roller, I was able to find that would suit bob length to straight-style it is a velcro roller (the dark blue ones). I think foam rollers just aren't big enough, meteor. Unless you've come across a size I haven't yet seen?

meteor
March 30th, 2015, 01:12 PM
The only jumbo size roller, I was able to find that would suit bob length to straight-style it is a velcro roller (the dark blue ones). I think foam rollers just aren't big enough, meteor. Unless you've come across a size I haven't yet seen?

I've seen quite a few large ones locally. I guess it depends on the availability in stores locally, but there are lots online, too :)
Popular options are like this: http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/413968/300.JPG, or this: http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/14436691?wid=480&hei=480 or this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aTiXcPZML._SY300_.jpg or this: http://mp.hairboutique.com/_images/products/conair_61115_350w.jpg and this (satin-covered foam-rollers in different sizes): http://a9.wal.co/images/Large/034/678/1034678.jpg-beee4399e249f402ac883882ff942d023787f9aa-optim-460x460.jpg
I think satin-covered ones provide extra-smooth finish. :)

lapushka
March 30th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I've seen quite a few large ones locally. I guess it depends on the availability in stores locally, but there are lots online, too :)
Popular options are like this: http://pics1.ds-static.com/prodimg/413968/300.JPG, or this: http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/14436691?wid=480&hei=480 or this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51aTiXcPZML._SY300_.jpg or this: http://mp.hairboutique.com/_images/products/conair_61115_350w.jpg and this (satin-covered foam-rollers in different sizes): http://a9.wal.co/images/Large/034/678/1034678.jpg-beee4399e249f402ac883882ff942d023787f9aa-optim-460x460.jpg

Goodness, those are big! I hadn't seen those before! Thanks so much for the links!!! :D

Orange Queen
March 30th, 2015, 02:58 PM
I can try that. Also never seen foam rollers that big before. Dropping by a couple of stores today, so will keep my eye out for them.
I have a couple of velcro rollers, but I see those more as a hair ripping device than a styling product :)

Will also hit a health store in search of a natural shampoo/conditioner and of course oils.
(I can hear my wallet crying)

Nique1202
March 30th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I can try that. Also never seen foam rollers that big before. Dropping by a couple of stores today, so will keep my eye out for them.
I have a couple of velcro rollers, but I see those more as a hair ripping device than a styling product :)

Will also hit a health store in search of a natural shampoo/conditioner and of course oils.
(I can hear my wallet crying)

I don't know that you necessarily need to change your shampoo or conditioner. If what you have is working for you, I'd try the styling options first and then see if you need to adjust your products or routine. The only thing you might need/want to change is you might want a stronger shampoo (a "less natural" one, most likely) or a lighter conditioner if you think some of your lack of volume could be buildup.

Orange Queen
March 30th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Nique1202

That's exactly what I wanted. Read that Jason's natural shampoo is good for clarifying.
Also wanted to see if a natural shampoo will work with my hair or not.
I've switched to all natural skin care products about 2 years ago, and my skin is loving it, so wanted something for my hair.
Didn't find it though, or the foam rollers.
Did score a massive bottle of Argan oil on sale though :)

Noticed a big chunk of uneven hair in the back (like an inch and a half sticking out) so went to correct that, only to be talked into shaping my hair.
Um... Yeah.
It will grow back. Eventually.
Probably too short for rollers. Or french braids. Or social life.
Should of left it alone lol

Rosetta
April 1st, 2015, 10:03 AM
Those are just what I've been looking for (the largest ones that is), but have had no luck on ebay or anywhere else in Europe - do you have any links where to buy them online, Europe that is? (Postage from US is too expensive...)

edit: ok, found one, it's from the US but with tolerable postage: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diane-Satin-Foam-Hair-Rollers-5035-1-1-2-/360980962059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540c245b0b :)

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 10:38 AM
If you plan to trim as you grow, and use your blow dryer mindfully, I think you can safely continue using it. I personally find the bob phase is easier with some heat styling.

You could do most of your blowdrying with warm (not hot), and without brush. Use you fingers to give yourself what stylists call rought drying. It's not really rought to your hair, it just means the drying is done without brushes. You use your fingers to lift sections, and also to give some gentle tension to the hairs. Start from the roots, keep the concentartion nozzle pointing towards tips of hair (unless you want more volume in certain spots). In the very end, use the round brush to bend your ends, if you like that look. This step doesn't need actual brushing at all, you just use the round form to bend the ends.

For weightless product, hair powder is a must! One application lasts till the next shampoo, you can reactive it by fluffing your roots. Helps so much with my morning hair!

Oh, and for me, best way to tame any surface frizz is to smooth a little bit of my normal conditioner over the canopy. Better than hair spray!

Orange Queen
April 1st, 2015, 05:17 PM
Arctic, now that The hair in the back is much shorter than it was (inverted bob shudder: ) I can get away with just washing it. if I arrange the hair in the back as it dries it actually stays in place and has volume.
I didn't realize how much hair the second hairdresser took off, I can freaking spike it up in the back!. It will be a disaster to style as it grows out for sure, but for now it's not too bad.

I'll do the rough drying method as it starts to grow out like you suggested, but have a feeling that I'll have no way of avoiding the round brush as my hair gets to the awkward in between stage. The round brush just terrifies me :)
I was actually involuntarily squirming away from the hair dresser as she was styling the hair. They're always so rough with those things too.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I have something called Volumizing Styling Powder by Schwartzkopf in a shaker bottle.
That stuff gives crazy volume, but once it's on the hair it turns into a helmet for me. No way to re style or brush after it.
I had really good results with it when I needed an up do to be fuller. It looked like I had about half a head of extra hair. On short hair it just gives me bride of Frankenstein hair that doesn't move. Buuut, if the Treasure Troll look ever comes back, I totally have the product for it.

Yeah, the conditioner totally works for keeping hair down.. If you come across any alcohol free Aloe Vera, try it, it does the same thing as the conditioner, but without flattening the hair out too much (at least for me).

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 05:56 PM
You could try different types of brushes too. I personally like how a paddle brush makes my blow dried hair look. I think a basic oval brush would also be easier for hair than round one. Oh yes, hair dressers are not very gentle with their clients hair most of the time. I find it weird.

If I were you I would just keep styling the way that makes your hair look good to you, avoiding extremes. When your hair get over the bob phase, you can more easily let it be as it wishes. Especially if you trim and do the basic gentleness and hair care stuff I am sure your hair will be fine!

I think that's the same product what I meant. I agree it's difficult or impossible to comb after putting on hair powder, it does leave hair feeling producty and grippy. But it also helps on me having a decent morning hair, which is nothing short of miracle! :D Mine is not so cement-like that it wouldn't allow braiding etc, and can be re-fluffed easily.

Do you have some other styling products? Mousse maybe?

I do happen to have alcohol free aloe gel, I'll have to give it a try; thanks for the tip!

Orange Queen
April 1st, 2015, 06:57 PM
I know, so weird. She actually vigorously back combed my hair too.

I will look into paddle brushes. Usually brushes make my hair staticky, but right now my hair is the most moisturized that it's ever been, so maybe this time they will work better. Any particular type I should look for?

I think I have almost every possible hair styling product ever lol. I always buy something new but never really use any of them because most of the time they don't work on me.

Lately I've been sticking with Aloe Vera for taming, coconut and argan oil for oiling, and various edible products for masques.

I have like three different smoothing serums, but they make me look greasier than the oils. Various thickening potions, which don't really do anything, and a really light hairspray. I used to use an awesome Schwarzkop hairspray before, but of course they discontinued it.

With this second haircut, I discovered that one of my cowlicks (yes. I'm one of those lucky people that has 2 or possibly 3) is actually working in my favor by pushing the hair up. With longer hair it usually messes everything up, but seems to work with this haircut.

I was out all day today without any product in my hair. Not even a tiny squirt of hairspray.

As much as I hate to admit it, this new haircut actually works with my hair. For the next month or so at least until it starts growing out.

It doesn't really suit me, I look better with longer hair, and I'm not happy with the way my front layers are, not to mention that I wake up looking,like sonic the hedgehog, but it dries into a somewhat decent style.

The other problem is that the hairstylist layered it, and used razoring scissors on the back, so as it gets longer I'll have to keep trimming it so that it will grow out at an even length.

Can't believe that I let her talk me into shaping it. With the first haircut it would have been 2-3 months of awkward stage, with this one...
Maybe by this time next year I'll be able to pull it back into a pony :D

Sorry, rambling and whining now. None of my friends have hair like me, and I don't think we ever had a discussion about hair for longer than 5 minutes lol.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Arctic
April 2nd, 2015, 01:07 PM
The hairstylist thing is almost same as if you are on clothes shopping, and find a nice shirt and the staff member comes to ooh and ahh it. You decide to buy the shirt, and as soon as you have payed, the staff person starts ripping and damaging the shirt, and then refusing to give your money back. And then the shirt magically attached itself on you and you need to wear it for months.

As for brushes, I'm not an expert, I say that right away. I was a comb only girl for over 30 years! But in recent years I have started to experiment with brushes too. I learned that each type has it's special function, and I have slowly bought and tried different kinds. I have round brush which I used for blowdrying when I want to put special effort into my blowdried hair. But I think I am going to be using it less and ess, because my hair has now gotten to a length, where it has gotten stuck in my hair few times :bigeyes: It also seems to either rip or otherwise gather more shed hair than my other brushes, so that's something to consider too. Anyway, this brush gives the most traditional looking results, and my ends are easy to bend with it (something I do only rarely).

The I have that big paddle brush. It has its tines in lines so, that it glides easily through my hair and feels better than any other brush (has a cushion). This brush makes my hair look really beautiful with blowdrying, I have slight layering and this brings those layers out really beautifull, and hair has lot of movement and swing and bounce while also being smooth and shiny. The best shampoo comercial hair imitation that I have been able to achive with myself :)

Then I have a wooden oval brush, the very basic type. It's very basic in every way; a good brush but nothing special.

Then I have a sceleton brush specifically meant for blowdrying, it is meant to speed the drying process because air can circulate more around the hair. But I haven't been impressed with it. It is some kind of charcoal coated material which doesn't supposedly cause static. But I can't really say anything about that, because my own hair is not prone to static.

But since ours apparently is, you could look for materials (wood, charcoal and others( that say specifically that they don't cause static.

My next purchase will be Denman brush, I have a feeling it will be perfect for me :) I also have a thin BBB which is actually meant for teasing, but I use it to smooth my updos.

I think you could get nice results with other brush types than round brush, because those really do seem to be the most damaging brushes. Plus the rought drying I mentioned, that's how I usually do my hair on everyday basis.

I also got an idea, that you could try doing some styling on your front hair, like small braids (of any type), or vintage like pushed forward and pinned look. I'd avoid using headbands all the time, especially if they are not fabric, because those might make your front hair thinner if it's always pushed back with them. Things like mini claw clips and sparkly and normal bobby pins, barettes, little satin ribbons to tye your braided bangs... all bring some change.

Ha ha, you are on the lookour for a HG products! (= holy grail) That sounds familiar! What is it that makes finding nice products so difficult! If your hair is anything like mine was when it was fine and straight, I couldn't even style it very much, simply touching it too much made it oily fast. (I have quite oily skin, even now at this age).

Good to hear you find good points in the cut, and the stylist did nice work incorporating your cowlicks into the style. Are you planning to self trim from now on, or continue going to a stylist to neaten it as it grows or let it grow without touching?

I've more experienced about growing out bob that I can count, most of my life I have been in a pixie - bob - shoulder circle :D I have always like bobs too on myself, they have lot of good points!

Anyway, now I'm rambling too :) Good thing we have this forum to talk hair, because there's no-one in my RL either who is interested in the subject - they get this glazed look into their eyes after 30 seconds :D

Remi
April 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Yes, I second this advice!
Since you wash your hair at night, have you tried using foam-rollers or other soft rollers, especially in very large, "jumbo" size, for damp-setting hair overnight? At this length, it will give you straight hair with good volume at the roots. No need to use product (if you don't want to) and no need to style in the morning - just take out rollers and you are ready to go. And it's damage-free. :D

Orange Queen
April 2nd, 2015, 05:35 PM
Ha ha ha, it's totally like that with some hairdressers.

This one actually talked to me for about 10 minutes about the structure of my hair, about hairstyles that would match me, about shaping hair, etc. etc.
Just like someone on this board suggested (ha!), she pointed out that my front hairline is mostly baby hair, and that's why the front will always look a little bit thin. Everything what she said made sense.

Once she started cutting though... Didn't realize that shaping the hair meant she will take most of it off. Then midway through she started saying that it's an edgy look and that it wouldn't look right if the bottom is blunt. Out came the razoring scissors. Then the hair wax and the back combing ha ha.

I'm like "greaaaat"

You totally are a hairbrush expert!
I also only use combs, usually wooden ones with large gaps. My hair surprisingly doesn't tangle that much, at least there is that lol. Will be on a look out now for brushes.

Yes, the never ending search for the HG product! I 've been using a 2-in-1 pet shampoo the past two times I washed my hair (organic, soap free, can pronounce every ingredient). Weird, yes, but it seems to work with my hair so far. So maybe that's my HG :)

I will definitely not be self trimming. That would be a complete disaster.
Don't think I can let it grow out as it is because it's all different layers. Will definitely have to go for regular trims once it gets longer. It will be a disaster when it's growing out for sure.

I know everyone's hair is different, but how long did it take you to completely grow out a bob to happy level?
It will be tempting to just chop everything off again once it gets to that awkward stage where it's not a bob, but not long enough to pull back. I'm trying to avoid that loop lol

I have very dry skin, so hair doesn't get oily, just staticky as hell, but manageable if hair is moisturized. My mom has oily skin, and is prone to breaking out like a teenager if she uses a wrong product even in her sixties. Her hair is regularly dyed and is somewhat dry though, and I guess that keeps the grease away from her hair.
Now I'm rambling :)

I tried out braids and front twisty styles (kind of like a less dramatic 1940's hairdo), and that can be my "going out" look.
It will probably look cool curled, but until I find the right rollers, I'm not using a curling iron.

I'm attaching two pics of my hairstyle to show what sort of a bob I have. Maybe you will have an idea how to painlessly grow it out :)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/primalshot/bob2_zpsbvdruqfn.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/primalshot/media/bob2_zpsbvdruqfn.jpg.html)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/primalshot/bob1_zpskukg1chi.jpg (http://s300.photobucket.com/user/primalshot/media/bob1_zpskukg1chi.jpg.html)

Ignore the weird orangeness in the first photo. Horrible lighting in my washroom.

Orange Queen
April 2nd, 2015, 05:41 PM
It doesn't show on the photos, because my hair is deflated (second or third day between washes and no hair product) but the hair is all different lengths, with some parts in the bottom that can be spiked.

Arctic
April 5th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Sorry that you had such experience with the stylist. I think your hair does look good though!

Lol about the pet shapoo :) I have used my dog's sprayable conditioner occasionally too! And once used The Body Shop's sulphate-free body washes for my hair several months in a row.

I have never wanted to grow without trimming, and to me it's important part of the growing out process, to keep it neat and looking nice all the time (or as neat and nice as possible when growing out --> there is always some awkward periods to have). I have been now mostly self-trimming for years and year, even on short lengths. The problem has been that I often ended up taking more than I was meaning to on those very short lengths, especially from the back, and that slowed down the growing out considerably. But I wasn't in a hurry and wasn't really actively growing. I think it took something like 2 years if not more for me from your length to where I am now. I am an avarage grower and trim very regularly (and often too much), so most people with even slower growth probably outgrow me quickly.

If your hair would be mine, I could see the growing out the nape area would be difficult to me. I would be tempted to trim it all the time, because with a cut like that it seems to loose it's shape fast. Keep that in mind as you let it grow (and remember to let your stylist know too that you are growing it out). It's a bit of a pain to get the nape to grow from that layered style, trim the mullet but be careful to always have it grow more than you cut.

I could try to make some sort of photo collage from my latest growing out process in my blog, if I do get around to that, I'll let you know.

BTW I got one idea for your sleep style. If you could wear a bandanna to bed tied so, that it's a triangle, and the long side is in the back and the knot near your forehead, you know vintage style, I think that would help your blowdry stay neater during the sleeping, and it could prevent the shorter hairs from sticking up.

lapushka
April 5th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry but how many haircuts have you had in the time you came on this forum? :) I've seen a few threads or messages pop up from you. It's like you keep cutting it. I don't want to sound mean about it, but... This is not the way to grow hair, obviously. I'd leave it alone from now on. Just stop going to stylists. Hair this short won't need a cut in more than a year. Patience is key here. :flower:

Orange Queen
April 6th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Lapushka, I've had two haircuts since I've joined, One due to an epic hair disaster, and now this one which turned into two haircuts somehow :confused:

I'm aware that cutting is not the way you grow out hair, but would like to have healthy hair rather than long damaged hair. Waist length hair is probably unachievable for me, I would be happy to have my hair at least grow below my shoulders to bra strap (to me that's long), but I would like the hair to be healthy. If I didn't cut my hair, I would now be the proud owner of BSl ratty, broken, dried out hair. Don't see the appeal in that .

Unfortunately I'll have to keep trimming it if I want it to be all one length, and I'm getting a lot of good tips here on how to take care and grow out healthy hair.

Arctic, I like your method for the grow out. I'm in no great hurry either, of course I would love to wake up one day with long hair :) , but right now the plan is to keep the hair as neat and healthy as I can. Until it reaches a certain length, my hair needs to be in some sort of a style, I hate when it's shapeless, looks messy and unkempt.
I figured as much, it would take me about two years with trimming to grow it all out to an even, decent length. At least it will look somewhat presentable during that time. Plus I'm regularly using Castor Oil, and seeing a lot of new growth, so maybe that will speed it up or at least thicken it a bit.

I'm dreading the awkward stages already :D

I'll probably never self trim, because that would result in tears and a pixie cut lol.
My regular hairdresser is back now, and she understands my hair, so at least there is that.

As for sleeping, I'm using a satin pillow, and getting better results with that, and will try the bandana, 1950's factory girl style tonight, thanks :)

So far I haven't used any hair products besides Aloe Vera since the second cut, and it's not too horrible.

As for pet products...lol Viva La Dog Spa makes a pretty kick ass cucumber-melon anti static de-tangling grooming spray :D

betterhairday
April 13th, 2015, 05:21 AM
A hot tool is *too* much heat, that's heat styling. But a blow dryer is actually okay, if you use it right. No roundbrushing! And if you can't use it on cool, because the blow dryer isn't designed that way, here's a little tip. If you can hold your hand in the airstream long enough without it burning, then it's okay of a heat to use on your hair. It won't damage it.

I agree with lapushka. I use a Salon Series Ultralight Professional Ionic hair dryer. I use it on a warm setting and hold it quite a ways from my hair, I do use a round brush (smack my wrist). My hair is shorter than yours, just below my ears. This hair dryer has all the latest gizmos and has a cool shot button as well.

Orange Queen
April 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM
I have the plainest hair dryer. Now might have to pick up something fancier. My hair is growing out like a Chia Pet, and just flopping around, so no avoiding styling tools when going out. Crazy how noticeable new growth is on short hair!
I find that drying my hair on the cool setting still works, just takes a lot longer to style.
Will look into that Ionic hair dryer, thanks =)

Arctic
April 22nd, 2015, 10:22 AM
I can't remember if it was already suggested, but when I had shorter hair and I had washed in the night before, I often put my hair in big rollers while doing my morning routines. This made my hair nice and gave volume and bent the ends under. If the nape area hairs stick out, you could try putting some product on them, or even wetting a little and combing.

Now that you see it growing, it's important that you allow some imperfectnesses and don't run to the hairdresser if it bothers you. You'll need to accept there are some awkwardness involved, and stretch your comfort zone between every salon visit. And always trim less that you have grown.

You can do this and sail past the growing out phase!!! :D