PDA

View Full Version : Little House on the Prairie hair styles

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Does anyone know how to do the bun worn by Caroline Ingalls in the Little House on the Prairie series? Or is there a tutorial around? for any of those characters, really....?

AspenSong
March 29th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I surely don't know, but I'd be interested to know as well! I always loved her hair...and how they styled Lauras after she got older and married. I watched that show everyday as a kid....read all the books, even had my MIL stop on a road trip when we were in MO to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder house. So fun. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I just love that series so much! I love Caroline's hair style - it looks elegant, plain and quick and easy. You would need a style like that as a busy mother.

I do realise that it isn't actually her own hair in the series, but still... Also I read that as an adult, Laura Ingalls had knee length hair.

Hmmm, maybe we could go and see her house when we are in the States in October....

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM
I loved to watch this show with my mom when i was a kid. She already had seem most of the episodes but hardly missed watching it again, lol. I will have to head over to google to check on the hairstyle tho. I cant remember it that well.

AspenSong
March 29th, 2015, 04:52 PM
You really should if you have a chance and are around there Sarahlabyrinth! It's very cool. It's the house she and Almanzo had there in MO after they were married and where they had their daughter and such...there's a second house on the property, the Stone house, that they had built also that is beautiful. They're both small by todays standards, but it's fun to see.

I should screenshot an episode and see if I can get a better look at the styles. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 29th, 2015, 04:54 PM
How do you do a screenshot?

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 05:08 PM
http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p506/Nori_Ko/image.jpg1_zpsvuh41ttg.jpg (http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Nori_Ko/media/image.jpg1_zpsvuh41ttg.jpg.html)

Like this :D Lol. Was the quickest one i could find on YT unfortunately not the best, but theres not really alot of videos in HD available.
It looks like a loose infinity bun, or maybe a ponytail split in half and pinned like a pretzel. In the front she definitely used rollers to give that perfect sort of lift and swoop.

ETA i found a good picture from the front as well. But none of where we can see more detail of her bun. Its definitely based on a simple ponytail tho, neither tucked nor twisted at the base.

http://www.lionsgatepublicity.com/uploads/assets/6ef53da6-baa9-11e3-9817-005056b70bb8.jpg

AZDesertRose
March 29th, 2015, 08:55 PM
You really should if you have a chance and are around there Sarahlabyrinth! It's very cool. It's the house she and Almanzo had there in MO after they were married and where they had their daughter and such...there's a second house on the property, the Stone house, that they had built also that is beautiful. They're both small by todays standards, but it's fun to see.

I should screenshot an episode and see if I can get a better look at the styles. :)

Part of the reason that the houses are so small is that Almanzo built them to fit himself and Laura and they were both quite short. :)

Back on hair, I always loved Caroline's hair on the TV show too, and there is a part of Little House in the Big Woods wherein Laura describes watching her mother and aunts get ready for the dance at the sugaring-off party, and she describes a good bit of detail of them styling their hair.

ooglipoo
March 29th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Based on the title, I thought you meant the two braids style! I rock that pretty regularly...

The Mom's bun though!!!! How pretty. :crush:

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 09:35 PM
aside from the infinity it also remids me of BrendaLoan's link bun. Not exactly the same but somehow similar.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123612

Shibe
March 29th, 2015, 11:03 PM
We need a thread for Little House AND Anne of Green Gables hair styles. I would be all over that!

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 11:45 PM
Oh yes, vintage and retro hairstyles we liked in movies and shows would be great.
Lol, i'm not really that skilled when it comes to doing them but i liked Winnie Coopers simple styles and every single movie Olivia Hussey was in although she mostly wore it down there was an amazing wrapped ponytail in romeo and Juliet. Yeah, those two are my favorites (right after chinese fantasy movie hair, lol)

Have there been nice hairstyles in Dr.Quinn too? I dont remember.
thinking about it i highly doubt such a thread doesn't already exist tho.

Shibe
March 31st, 2015, 12:35 PM
Oh I forgot about Dr. Quinn! My mom loved the poo out of that show :)

AspenSong
March 31st, 2015, 01:54 PM
Part of the reason that the houses are so small is that Almanzo built them to fit himself and Laura and they were both quite short. :)

Haha, I know! And despite knowing that going IN, I still felt like a fat, giant. lol. I'm not small anyway, but it made me feel huge. haha. I don't know why, but I picture everyone I've ever read a book about - being Taaaaallllll. So weird like that. ;)
I'd live in the Stone house in a second if I had the chance, it's the perfect, cozy house and it overlooks this beautiful field. Would love to go back.

The more I look at videos and see her hair, the more it sort of looks like a flatter, infinity sort of bun shape.

AZDesertRose
March 31st, 2015, 03:22 PM
Haha, I know! And despite knowing that going IN, I still felt like a fat, giant. lol. I'm not small anyway, but it made me feel huge. haha. I don't know why, but I picture everyone I've ever read a book about - being Taaaaallllll. So weird like that. ;)
I'd live in the Stone house in a second if I had the chance, it's the perfect, cozy house and it overlooks this beautiful field. Would love to go back.

The more I look at videos and see her hair, the more it sort of looks like a flatter, infinity sort of bun shape.

I'd feel like a big galoot myself, being 5'8"/173cm in my bare feet. :) I'd love to go someday, though, because I grew up on those books. My mom is a huge fan and read them to me until I was old enough to read them independently.

I really recommend to anyone who's interested in period hairstyles to go check out Little House in the Big Woods for the description of how Laura's aunts and mother styled their hair for the special occasion. I can't give page numbers off the top of my head, but it's in the sugaring-off dance section.

Plus the books are fun on general principle. Dated a bit, but fun.

MINAKO
March 31st, 2015, 03:31 PM
Im 5'11"... waiting outside for you guys, maybe someone wants to skype me from the rooms in that house. XD

Shibe
March 31st, 2015, 11:09 PM
I'd feel like a big galoot myself, being 5'8"/173cm in my bare feet. :) I'd love to go someday, though, because I grew up on those books. My mom is a huge fan and read them to me until I was old enough to read them independently.

I really recommend to anyone who's interested in period hairstyles to go check out Little House in the Big Woods for the description of how Laura's aunts and mother styled their hair for the special occasion. I can't give page numbers off the top of my head, but it's in the sugaring-off dance section.

Plus the books are fun on general principle. Dated a bit, but fun.

"Laura sat on their bed and watched them comb out their long hair and part it carefully. They parted it from their foreheads to the napes of their necks and then they parted it across from ear to ear. They braided their back hair in long braids and then they did the braids up carefully in big knots.

They fussed for a long time with their front hair, holding up the lamp and looking at their hair in the little looking-glass that hung on the log wall. They brushed it so smooth on each side of the straight white part that it shone like silk in the lamplight. The little puff on each side shone, too, and the ends were coiled and twisted neatly under the big knot in the back. "

I have the whole series, so I can add more if need be!

AZDesertRose
April 1st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Shibe, thanks for doing what I was too lazy to do, LOL, and go look it up. (I also have a box set of the whole series.)

IIRC, there's a fairly decent illustration of the finished hairstyle, but I may be misremembering.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2015, 01:45 PM
"Laura sat on their bed and watched them comb out their long hair and part it carefully. They parted it from their foreheads to the napes of their necks and then they parted it across from ear to ear. They braided their back hair in long braids and then they did the braids up carefully in big knots.

They fussed for a long time with their front hair, holding up the lamp and looking at their hair in the little looking-glass that hung on the log wall. They brushed it so smooth on each side of the straight white part that it shone like silk in the lamplight. The little puff on each side shone, too, and the ends were coiled and twisted neatly under the big knot in the back. "

I have the whole series, so I can add more if need be!

That hairstyle sounds very Queen Victoria-ish with the bun at the back and the two front pieces brushed smooth and loosely looped/pinned back underneath the bun. I guess it would have been the 1840's though. Thanks for the excerpt - I remember reading it in the book.

I would probably prefer to wear something like the bun worn by the actress in the series - it just looks so comfortable - and pretty, too.

Arctic
April 1st, 2015, 01:50 PM
I think the books are available online too, so finding the text would be easy and copy/pasteing or provoding links would also be easy. Hint hint ;)

Shibe
April 1st, 2015, 04:16 PM
I have the e-books on Kindle, so I was able to go through pretty quickly :)