PDA

View Full Version : Sore scalp from fast hair growth?

Wusel
March 29th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone :-)
I'm a newbie here, from Germany, and want to grow my hair out looong :-)
On March, 14th I started using hair vitamins and doing the inversion method and drinking a ton of water every day and I experience a massive hair growth. I can braid it now in the back and the braid doesn't fall apart :-)
My hair grew about an inch in two weeks... YAY!
But: Along with the growth my scalp became very tender and sore on the crown, sometimes in the edges...
I've googled this and read that a growth spurt can make the scalp sore and tender...
What do you think about this?
Does it go away after the first couple of weeks of IM and Vitamins?
I'm quite happy with the vitamins as they also give me glowing, clear skin and nice nails.
Thank you very much for help :-)

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Hi, welcome to LHC! :flower:

Getting right into it, i think the sore scalp would rather be a result of to much rubbing and manipulationg the folicles into different directions. Hairgrowth alone will not cause you any pain.
That being said, it's been two weeks since you started taking these vitamins, if you have been deficient before it might be a useful thing to take them, but the body adjust slowly to these changes. In general i would say you need to take so ething for a few months until it even start working, not on the same day. I know there alot of wishful thinking and some sort of placebo effect behind these things. something i can imagine is that you might have had a reaction to biotin, which causes some people to break out. But if you dont have any noticeable bumps on your scalp thats most likely not the root of the problem.
Be careful with taking over the counter stuff for vanity reasons. Usually i would say eating a balanced diet is all you need to grow healthy hair.
Good luck and happy growing!

spidermom
March 29th, 2015, 06:03 PM
I've been having a growth spurt in the past month, and my scalp isn't sore. I don't do massage or the inversion method. I think spring caused my rapid growth.

Wusel
March 29th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Thank you very much :-) I forgot to write that I started taking biotin and folic acid about four weeks ago and then I switched to the hair vitamins because I don't think that my diet is good enough... I know, taking pills is by far not as good as a balanced diet but in my difficult life situation it's better than nothing... I'm proud of myself that I at least manage to remember taking the pills every day...

I don't rub my scalp much... I massage it very gently... and I never had so much growth in such a short time...

Knifegill
March 30th, 2015, 12:02 AM
If you don't think your diet is good enough, add as many eggs and potatoes as you can afford, and it will be. Not cheap eggs, though, only real eggs from pastured hens.

Wusel
March 30th, 2015, 12:17 AM
I think spring caused my rapid growth.
We don't have spring in North Germany yet... nowhere near...
I did the IM from March 19. to 23... so it's quite a time ago... I don't think that it hurts from this...
Do you think I need a dermatologist?
I don't see any redness or bumps or other strange reactions on my scalp...
On my crown it hurts now when I touch my hair there, even when it's not done...

Wusel
March 30th, 2015, 12:20 AM
If you don't think your diet is good enough, add as many eggs and potatoes as you can afford, and it will be. Not cheap eggs, though, only real eggs from pastured hens.

I eat four eggs a day because I can eat them on the go... Why potatoes? I don't like potatoes... never eat them...

Sarahlabyrinth
March 30th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Maybe just give your scalp a break from manipulation for a while until it subsides. You may have been over stimulating your follicles and they are complaining.

Wusel
March 30th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Maybe just give your scalp a break from manipulation for a while until it subsides. You may have been over stimulating your follicles and they are complaining.

Thank you.
Last time I touched my scalp was 23. I'm waiting till my follicles stop complaining...

Silverbrumby
March 31st, 2015, 03:57 PM
Make sure it isn't because you are stretching washes and causing build up and inflammation on the scalp. I stretched mine too far and got a very tender and hot feeling scalp. It led to more shedding in the end so now I keep my scalp clean (wash twice a week) and free of conditioner and oils. It likes to breath.

Lyv
March 31st, 2015, 04:03 PM
I think it's probably from what you're doing not from it growing. You may just be a little tender from doing the inversion method and then stopping so your follicles are sore. My scalp was uncomfortable after doing it for a couple of days either from massaging or maybe having oil on it to often.

DreamSheep
March 31st, 2015, 05:07 PM
It's probably from pulling your hair in directions they aren't used to - I find washing or gentle handling usually helps with this. :D

That said... I'm sure most of us here wouldn't mind actual hair growing pains... :P