PDA

View Full Version : Had "3" inches chopped off... mortified

LandyNova
March 28th, 2015, 08:16 PM
So I finally broke down and did it - went to the salon and said, look, just cut off everything that's damaged so I can start fresh. Many of you may recall my first post with my hair being extremely long, like, WOW Rapunzel table-convo long! yay! But the breakage was getting to be so severe that the knots were breaking off. I really never had this issue before, just thought maybe I'd hit my limit and needed a good trim, but my usual stylist who is good with long hair has been on maternity leave for like... ever.
Additionally... I'd been having anxiety attacks a lot lately, especially around my hair stylist. While she's super supportive of my desire to have extremely long hair, she was always dropping remarks here and there about how sometimes people might think I'm struggling financially or something because my hair is so long. I graduated high school with her, and I have social anxiety, so I don't know, I'm lucky if I get a trim once a year anyway.

I developed thyroid disease in October 2014 and my hair has at times fallen out in clumps, but for the most part, it's still there... just... gah, I'm now wondering if my thyroid disease is the reason for my tangle issue rather than needing a BIG CHOP.

The stylist who cut my hair had a short purple bob and she was very kind. She suggested "three" inches but it looks more like six. I dunno. My hair now comes down to about my breasts whereas before it came down to my waist (see my profile pic) and is wavy, but the ends of it were really ragged and at times impossible.

Oh, someone said I had my hair listed as 25cm.... when I measured... I put in 25" (inches)... hope that's in there right..

Anyway I'm kind of mortified. I wake up and cringe now. :( Where do I go from here, and please tell me it's not so bad!

Fericera
March 28th, 2015, 08:30 PM
You can grow it again, and you're certainly in the right place to do so. There's lots of support here. :) That's disappointing you got more cut than you wanted, but hey, at least the damage is out! A fresh start can be nice, and you should be able to be back at waist in a year. As for thyroid disease, I don't have much advice but I'm sure some others on here will.

I recommend the BSL to Waist thread, since it sounds like that's around where you are. http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11219&page=924&highlight=waist

spidermom
March 28th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Don't despair! Sometimes your hair will grow really fast after a trim. I had 1-1/4 inch trimmed off a little less than a month ago, and it grew right back. Spring is a good time for that to happen, too. Everything is growing!

FallingDarkness
March 28th, 2015, 10:01 PM
Don't despair! Sometimes your hair will grow really fast after a trim. I had 1-1/4 inch trimmed off a little less than a month ago, and it grew right back. Spring is a good time for that to happen, too. Everything is growing!

YEAH! This exactly. I cut off about an inch on Valentine's Day and it's all back now, even though it hasn't even been two months. Just put your hair up and forget about it and before you know it, HEY LOOK your hair is long again! Besides, you already have gorgeous hair no matter what. Remember that.

MINAKO
March 28th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Well, lucky you! You just arrived in hair heaven and all your worries will be taken care of in time. There are really worse things then cutting some damaged ends and your hair is still long enough to wear ponytails, buns, braids... whatsoever. I think its nice to become aware of all the mistakes we made with our hair in the past and learn all the good stuff together on here. Now thats an upside, no?!

LauraLongLocks
March 28th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Well, lucky you! You just arrived in hair heaven and all your worries will be taken care of in time. There are really worse things then cutting some damaged ends and your hair is still long enough to wear ponytails, buns, braids... whatsoever. I think its nice to become aware of all the mistakes we made with our hair in the past and learn all the good stuff together on here. Now thats an upside, no?!

^^This, exactly. In the long run, you will likely be very happy that you don't have damaged ends to deal with. You can just grow, and maintain your length without having to contend with damage.

hypersensitive
March 28th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Pile on the hair treatments, because you now have a fresh canvas to work it! Cutting off the damage was good for you in the long run. I second the notion of putting it up and forgetting about it. That's how hair grows best anyway.

Try not to go to that hairdresser again or better yet try your hand at trimming your own hair. That way, you have absolute control.

butter52
March 29th, 2015, 05:44 AM
Its just hair, and it happens to grow, and it also happens to look much prettier healthy whatever lenght than damaged whatever lenght.

Please stop obsessing and focus on the really importand things so you can apreciate them.

I am sure that stylist made your hair way nicer by cutting out the damage.Enjoy it!

Carolyn
March 29th, 2015, 06:38 AM
You told her to cut off everything that was damaged. Maybe she did just that. From your post it doesn't sound like you specified an amount to be trimmed. It would have been nice if she had told you how much she thought needed to be cut before she started cutting but it sounds to me like she did as you asked. 3" is really not all that much unless you are starting with a bob. 3" is 6 months growth for the average person. You said you don't plan to trim for another year so a year from now you should be longer than your hair was before your trim. Sometimes you have to decide between a thick, even hemline and damaged length. Try not to spazz over this too much.

lapushka
March 29th, 2015, 07:03 AM
You told her to cut off everything that was damaged. Maybe she did just that. From your post it doesn't sound like you specified an amount to be trimmed. It would have been nice if she had told you how much she thought needed to be cut before she started cutting but it sounds to me like she did as you asked. 3" is really not all that much unless you are starting with a bob. 3" is 6 months growth for the average person. You said you don't plan to trim for another year so a year from now you should be longer than your hair was before your trim. Sometimes you have to decide between a thick, even hemline and damaged length. Try not to spazz over this too much.

All this. ^^ And very well said!

Nellon
March 29th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Aw sweetie! It'll be fine! Yay for getting rid of damage and still having quite long hair left :) In no time it'll be long, healthy and beautiful and maybe you'll be happy with the big chop? :)

Panth
March 29th, 2015, 07:10 AM
If you say "cut off everything that's damaged" you're putting yourself forwards for a big chop. Stylists deal in blunt ends. They generally don't understand the difference between taper/fairytaling and damage.

I'm sorry, but you only have yourself to blame for asking for one thing (all "damage" gone, without even specifying what you meant by damage) whilst wanting another (a small trim).

QMacrocarpa
March 29th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I second looking into self-trims (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). My hair needs pretty regular trims (2x per year), but I always just do it myself. It probably takes me under 10 minutes per year.

I'll also toss out, for future reference, that I find a tiny trim can make a big difference to the way my ends behave. So the last few inches of my hair can seem all velcro-y and I'm struggling all the time with "instant tangles" and then I trim 1/4" and those problems go away. For that reason, I always recommend starting with a tiny trim and then considering whether more is needed. It's much easier to trim a bit more than to trim a bit less! This is another advantage of self-trimming-- you can actually live with your first trim a few days, then decide to do another trim if you want. Impractical (and expensive) if you had to make a salon appointment every time!

By the way, I would not patronize any stylist who implied that my long hair would cause people to assume I was in financial difficulties. That seems like the reverse of supportive to me.

DarleneH
March 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Girl, 3" is nothing. Taking vitamins, borage oil, evening primrose, flax seed oil, diatomaceous earth, regular scalp massages, might speed growth up if you really want to help it along as much as possible. Scalp massages with a little bit of lavender essential oil (or others like mint or eucalyptus) are heavenly!

teddygirl
March 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM
It probably looks soo much healthier now. And, to the average non-lhcer, bsl is usually still pretty long!

LandyNova
March 29th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Hey everyone - thanks for your support and advice! -- I want to cut my own hair. I want to learn so that going to the stylist is not such a problem. The problem with that is, she cut my hair in layers. Think my shortest layer comes to the base of my neck, with the other layers going down to my bra length. I had layers before, too, and was trying to keep my long length but just trimming the longest layer myself - even bought the correct scissors and everything - but my other layers were the super damaged areas and had to go to the salon for those, because I don't know how to trim layers.

Is there somewhere I could learn to self-cut layers? I suppose I like the layers as the blunt one layer doesn't seem to work out for me. Tried it when I was younger.

I have horrible anxiety in the chair getting anything done with me hair, and not totally because I'm worried about my hair length or straight up vanity.... but also because I have so many health issues, asthma, seizures, thyroid disease, panic disorder in general and even the smells of hair salons make me dizzy. blah.

LandyNova
March 29th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Oh, p.s. I have a photo of my length before the chop, straightened - and I guess later today when I get my shower I will straighten and take an after photo. Perhaps it's not as bad straightened. My curls do make it shorter.

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Hah, now it's time for you to say bye to those feelings i guess, because there are so many members here who successfully cut their own layers as well as the blunt hemlines.
We had a thread on the compact cut method just yesterday. You can gather all your hair or half of it, or however much you prefer in different positions, like the crown or very front of the hairline as a guide.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130565
There are many threads on Feye's method as well for U- V- or straight across cuts. I would start with that to give a basic shape and then cut the layers

nicolezoie
March 29th, 2015, 02:05 PM
...By the way, I would not patronize any stylist who implied that my long hair would cause people to assume I was in financial difficulties. That seems like the reverse of supportive to me.

I second this. Shallow. Doesn't seem like this stylist wants clients with an attitude like that. Aside from the fact that not everyone can afford a visit to a stylist on a regular basis, it's highly unprofessional and none of her business, making personal remarks like that.

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Yeah, i noticed this too. What a sad approach of this stylist to get her point across that she would rather respect a haircut then actual hair as a status symbol. Hahaha, people these days have such paradox ideas sometimes. Im sure i would save more than half of the money i spend now if i visited a such a stylist on a regular basis and kept my hair a fashionable length according to her. Just dumb.

hanne jensen
March 31st, 2015, 03:36 AM
Your layers will grow out. Your hair will grow back even healthier than before. If salons make you anxious and sick, please don't go to them. Being an asthmatic, the perfumes and chemical stench can set off an asthma attack.

Do you have an SO or family member that supports your hair journey? Maybe they could give you a micro trim every 3 months or so. My Hubby dusts me using a CreaClip and hair scissors. It takes him 2 minutes to dust me.

Put your hair up in protective styles and before you know it it will be back.

As for the stylist that made the nasty comment about other people thinking you have financial difficulties because of long hair, Balderdash! Horsefeathers! Remember, stylists get their income from chopping off hair. They don't earn a thing from long hair. Also, they have no idea what quality hairtoys cost. Save your money and save your feelings from the industry. Use the money on hairtoys instead.

Happy growing, and please remember that here we love long hair.

DeadlyUnicorn
March 31st, 2015, 11:10 PM
Hey everyone - thanks for your support and advice! -- I want to cut my own hair. I want to learn so that going to the stylist is not such a problem. The problem with that is, she cut my hair in layers. Think my shortest layer comes to the base of my neck, with the other layers going down to my bra length. I had layers before, too, and was trying to keep my long length but just trimming the longest layer myself - even bought the correct scissors and everything - but my other layers were the super damaged areas and had to go to the salon for those, because I don't know how to trim layers.

Is there somewhere I could learn to self-cut layers? I suppose I like the layers as the blunt one layer doesn't seem to work out for me. Tried it when I was younger.

I have horrible anxiety in the chair getting anything done with me hair, and not totally because I'm worried about my hair length or straight up vanity.... but also because I have so many health issues, asthma, seizures, thyroid disease, panic disorder in general and even the smells of hair salons make me dizzy. blah.

I found this video a while back and watched some of the ones in the suggestions too. Maybe that can be helpful? It's super simple :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brmQhv6Uw1g

lapushka
April 1st, 2015, 09:09 AM

The method to cut layers is called the "compact cut" method. There are two techniques:

1/ short layers --> ponytail on forehead and cut a little bit off
2/ longer layers --> ponytail on the top of your head and cut a little bit off

If you can't reach because your hair is too long, band the ponytail at the base, then all while keeping the integrity of the ponytail, band it to where you can reach. Then continue banding all while keeping the integrity of the ponytail (keep it straight up or forward depending on the technique you're using), until there's only the bit left that you need to cut off.

My hair is cut with technique 1/ (short layers) and my shortest layer is BSL+ while my length is TBL+.

I would NOT recommend this for hair shorter than BSL, because the layers might end up being too too short and you might not like it, to say the least. It has been freshly cut now. Let it grow a bit first before cutting more off.

HTH!

Islandgrrl
April 1st, 2015, 09:27 AM
The good news? It's going to grow back!

The bad news? I can't think of any.

Take really good care of your hair, eat well and drink heaps of water. All it takes is time and patience!

LandyNova
April 3rd, 2015, 09:22 PM
Hi my longies! Thank you so much for the encouragement and compassion. Sorry I didn't get the pics up right away.

I think you're right, I guess a clean slate is the best place to start from, and BSL isn't bad at all... but. It just took me SO long to get my hair waist length. Like over a year. But, I'm wondering if that could have been because the ends were so very damaged, any growth progress I made was hard to see. I did the ombre bleached ends in 2013, so, that's what really killed my ends. Did it myself. Regret it ever since deciding to "go long."

Cannot thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction with cutting my own hair, and in layers! I do prefer some layers; if I can learn to cut those myself, then I'll not only be in control of my length but I won't be panicking in the chair getting asthmatic and feeling judged.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/bwsblog/20150220_043218_zpssbr7dv6o.jpg
This is how long my hair was, and this was after I straightened it to death to disguise the damage. You can't tell here, but there is a ton of damage in the last few inches of length.... if I didn't straighten with damaging heat, perpetuating the problem, it looked pretty bad...

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/bwsblog/20150308_191705_zpsy4wfqhtt.jpg
After straightening pic #2... you can see the damaged ends here. At first they might look like fairy tails but it's really just damage from the ombre bleach of 2013.

http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s410/bwsblog/20150403_174402_zpsoiia3p9n.jpg
After the chop. My hair is natural curly and it's nice to be able to wear it that way now without so much frizz and tangling, but I really miss my waist length.

It feels a lot better and I have been going ham on conditioning products, I'm co-washing (never even heard of it term before visiting the LHC!) instead of washing every other day. Really want to keep up the health and learn how to trim layers myself. Really looking forward to it!

MINAKO
April 4th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Your natural loose curls look super lovely. I think by the end of this year you could be reaching waistlength again, so theres really nothing to worry about. Your hair before, damaged or not, looked beautiful the way you styled it and you have a very aristocratic face. that hairdresser friend must indeed have an odd imagination.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 4th, 2015, 03:36 AM
Aw I completely understand your pain, I had a permanent straightening gone terribly bad over 2 years ago, and I had to chop off my waist length hair to shoulder length in the end because it looked and felt horrible.. I felt so bad about it, but the new non damaged hair that was growing out was way better than having the damaged long hair. I just made sure to treat it right and do a lot of oil treatments, and I self trimmed also, and before I knew it my hair grew out again healthier than ever :D ( although I've cut it after that so its not waist length now, but it will be hopefully in not so long :) ) And btw your natural curls are really pretty :*

nakima
April 7th, 2015, 06:57 PM
your hair looks very healthy and beautiful!

Nellon
April 7th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Aw, you and your hair are beautiful, just gorgeous! And your hair looks really healthy and nice! :) Just wanted to say that.

LandyNova
April 7th, 2015, 07:22 PM
Oh, thank you! I really hope to get my length back sooner than later tho. I know, I know. It is long, but I guess I miss that Rapunzel conversation piece, hehe. You know, the kind of length that people have to ask about.

The interesting thing is that I am still getting really bad tangles. I'm beginning to wonder if it's because I haven't been straightening as much. When I straightened every day, my hair was always tangle-free when wet, but it was also super damaged when dry, I had to brush it a lot to keep it smooth. Leaving it go curly means less brushing when dry, so I'm wondering if less brushing when dry = more tangles when wet...

Jumper
April 7th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Yes, your straightened hair will feel smoother and less tangled than your natural hair. The last time I had my hair straightened (almost two years ago now, wow! I just can't do it myself and that was the last time I had friends around to straighten it) I still remember I just couldn't stop running my hands through it. I keep meaning to ask my mom to straighten it for me but I forget all the time.

I have naturally wavy/a few curls here and there (aka wurly) hair and if I'm treating it nice I cannot run my hands through it. If I brush it quite a bit I can run my fingers through it but that effect doesn't last long because it just likes to curl back around itself.

Jumper
April 7th, 2015, 07:49 PM
And yay for trimming off damaged ends! Try to put the length loss out of your mind and enjoy the fresh ends.

I recently had two inches taken off my hair by my own specification and I am sad to be two less inches from my "goal" but I enjoy my hair more than being frustrated with the ends being nasty so it's a worthwhile trade off.

TangledUpInBlue
April 7th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Wow, your hair is lovely! Maybe I should cut out my damaged hair and start with a clean slate (I'm a newbie :) ). In any event, I definitely would consider finding a new regular stylist since yours seems to think that no one should have long hair, and that there's something wrong with poor people.

Last thought: Is it possible that the stylist cut off less hair than you think she did? I know that my hair gets straighter as it grows out, so it appears longer. Alternately, it's entirely possible that she cut off more than she was planning to based on a bad estimate of the difference in length of your hair wet and dry.

pinchbeck
April 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM
My hairdresser took off more than I wanted this week and it wasn't due to damage. It was due to overcorrecting his work and bad lighting. However, my hair is easier to manage and my ends look awesome (they weren't bad before but are better now). I've also had hairdressers cut my hair on an angle and I had to go back to have it corrected by a different stylist which meant I lost more lenght than I originally wanted.

Now that your ends are as healthy as mine (lol) try to baby your hair while it grows. No more straightening. You have a nice wave so embrace it! BTW in the photos where your hair is straightened vs. the one where it isn't - it's hard to compare how much was cut off. Your ends were sparse but are no longer.

LandyNova
April 8th, 2015, 01:36 PM
Well that certainly makes more sense now. Thanks Jumper. Less straightening = more tangles. I'd say my hair is naturally "whirly" too, at least when it's dry out. When it's humid, my hair turns to loose curls. It is a good trade off to be able to start anew when I screwed up the ends so bad when I first began my journey into long lengths (late 2013). I was so stubborn, and just dyed over the bleached/severely damaged ends rather than cutting them off.

@ Tangled I do think this stylist took off more than 3". My usual stylist who knows her stuff about long hair (but obviously doesn't like long hair....based on the kind of rude commentary!) I think has a better idea of how much 3" is, whereas this other stylist (my usual one is on leave), I think she thinks 3" is more like 4-5". I should probably post a straightened "after" pic, since we do lose length with curls, eh?

@pinch - When you say they cut your hair on an angle, o you mean the V? I have mixed feelings about the V and shorter layers - tends to make my hair appear shorter than it is, but it also provides more volume. It's a tough one. But like me, we get some better ends to start anew.

Is it okay to straighten at least once a week? Maybe even every couple of weeks? (I use a Barbar infrared straightener, supposedly a more gentle heat than ceramic, but who knows.. heat is heat). I only ask because straight hair seems to do better with my facial features. Ideally I'd like for my ends to be loose curls with the rest of my hair being straight. I've actually been doing this look a lot, and using two "shirt halos" instead of one to get a nice straighter volume around the crown with the ends being more of a long loose curl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Mo0XCeJqw simple, cheap, effective.

lapushka
April 8th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Is it okay to straighten at least once a week? Maybe even every couple of weeks? (I use a Barbar infrared straightener, supposedly a more gentle heat than ceramic, but who knows.. heat is heat). I only ask because straight hair seems to do better with my facial features. Ideally I'd like for my ends to be loose curls with the rest of my hair being straight. I've actually been doing this look a lot, and using two "shirt halos" instead of one to get a nice straighter volume around the crown with the ends being more of a long loose curl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Mo0XCeJqw simple, cheap, effective.

I'd not do it. That much heat 4 times a month is a *lot* for your hair to handle. I'd blowdry it as straight as you can (lowest heat setting), and leave it at that.

cat11
April 8th, 2015, 03:10 PM
she was always dropping remarks here and there about how sometimes people might think I'm struggling financially or something because my hair is so long.

what the @@@@!! That's bizzare and it makes no sense. If anything it's more expensive to properly care for long hair because 's more fragile. What an ignorant sales cheat. She just wants you to go there more often or something. And I thought I heard it all...

Your hair is beautiful!! Three inches will grow before you know it. Looking at your avatar picture I can see three inches bringing it to just under your breasts like your described. If I were you, I wouldn't straighten it just to make it look longer because it will damage it and then you will be back where you started. On the other hand, if you are patient with it and leave it alone before you know it it'll grow back healthier than before :) Juts my two cents. Hope its grows fast!! My hair is around the same length and I hope to get to waist before the end of the year.

oOoAMANDAoOo
April 8th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Why can't I see the picture? :confused:

TangledUpInBlue
April 9th, 2015, 09:47 AM
I just wanted you to know that your post inspired me to chop off a bunch of my hair so that I can start afresh. I've got a good five inches in my trash can now. :)

pinchbeck
April 10th, 2015, 03:42 PM
@pinch - When you say they cut your hair on an angle, o you mean the V? I have mixed feelings about the V and shorter layers - tends to make my hair appear shorter than it is, but it also provides more volume. It's a tough one. But like me, we get some better ends to start anew.

Many stylists have cut my hair uneven where one side is longer than the other. IMO stylists should sit while cutting longer lengths rather than stand so they can be more accurate with cutting a blunt hemline.

LandyNova
December 6th, 2016, 01:02 PM
It happened again. I went to a salon asking them to shape my very long hair into the famous V. I had gotten it long enough to the point where I was finally, finally happy with it, and it was so long that it was even time for a trim. I told the stylists that while she's shaping the V to add some long layers, and she can trim some of the dead ends away, but please don't mess with the overall length.

She just flat out didn't listen and took about a half of a foot off my total length. She told me she took a "couple" inches of dead ends off. She tried to tell me it just appeared that way because of the V shape, and I understand that in order to get the V shape you have to cut more off the sides - but I used to be able to pull all of my hair forward and it would be down at my waist. And now when I pull all of my hair forward, it just hits the middle of my breasts where my nips are.

I have basically resigned myself to NEVER going to a stylist again. I know I said this last time, but I really mean it this time. I'm going to start trimming my own hair using the ponytail method (to maintain the V).

That being said - about how long did it take you ladies to go from mid-breast length hair back down to waist length? I just turned 30, so this came at a time when I'm ALREADY feeling bad about myself.

turtlelover
December 6th, 2016, 06:43 PM
It happened again. I went to a salon asking them to shape my very long hair into the famous V. I had gotten it long enough to the point where I was finally, finally happy with it, and it was so long that it was even time for a trim. I told the stylists that while she's shaping the V to add some long layers, and she can trim some of the dead ends away, but please don't mess with the overall length.

She just flat out didn't listen and took about a half of a foot off my total length. She told me she took a "couple" inches of dead ends off. She tried to tell me it just appeared that way because of the V shape, and I understand that in order to get the V shape you have to cut more off the sides - but I used to be able to pull all of my hair forward and it would be down at my waist. And now when I pull all of my hair forward, it just hits the middle of my breasts where my nips are.

I have basically resigned myself to NEVER going to a stylist again. I know I said this last time, but I really mean it this time. I'm going to start trimming my own hair using the ponytail method (to maintain the V).

That being said - about how long did it take you ladies to go from mid-breast length hair back down to waist length? I just turned 30, so this came at a time when I'm ALREADY feeling bad about myself.

I'm sorry you don't like your haircut. However, at age 30, you are still a young whippersnapper! Life doesn't end at 30, or 40 for that matter. :-) It can and will grow back again, and with self trimming, you won't be the victim of another bad salon experience.

hanne jensen
December 7th, 2016, 09:59 AM
From mid breast to the bottom of my waist took me 2 years. I dusted a lot, 1/2 cm every month. I'm 167 cm tall or about 5 1/2 feet. I'm now 57 years old and creeping down to hip. In about 4 months I'll get there while I still dust every month.

Bookmark this thread and the next time you want to go to a salon, please read this thread again. It's horrible that you pay good money to come home and cry. Been there, done that and forgotten it as I haven't set foot in a salon since 2009.

LandyNova
December 7th, 2016, 08:39 PM
I'm sorry you don't like your haircut. However, at age 30, you are still a young whippersnapper! Life doesn't end at 30, or 40 for that matter. :-) It can and will grow back again, and with self trimming, you won't be the victim of another bad salon experience.

I probably didn't come off right when I said that. I'm sorry. I know 30 isn't old -- I was actually looking forward to this chapter in my life, because my twenties were so ridiculously difficult, consumed with health problems. All I'll recall of them is staring at hospital ceilings. My hope was to start over at 30, and I still think I'm young and all, but you can't tell that to my friends who are still in their twenties. People can be so... well, immature.

LandyNova
December 7th, 2016, 08:41 PM
From mid breast to the bottom of my waist took me 2 years. I dusted a lot, 1/2 cm every month. I'm 167 cm tall or about 5 1/2 feet. I'm now 57 years old and creeping down to hip. In about 4 months I'll get there while I still dust every month.

Bookmark this thread and the next time you want to go to a salon, please read this thread again. It's horrible that you pay good money to come home and cry. Been there, done that and forgotten it as I haven't set foot in a salon since 2009.

That's a really good idea. Thank you. I think I might set this thread as my home page! Ha! I really hope it doesn't take me two years. Do you think you could have gotten by with less dusting? I'm very hard pressed to trim. Usually once every six months, when things start to get tangled, that's when I start to feel like I need a "professional." But I really have to figure out how to be my own professional.

turtlelover
December 7th, 2016, 09:23 PM
I probably didn't come off right when I said that. I'm sorry. I know 30 isn't old -- I was actually looking forward to this chapter in my life, because my twenties were so ridiculously difficult, consumed with health problems. All I'll recall of them is staring at hospital ceilings. My hope was to start over at 30, and I still think I'm young and all, but you can't tell that to my friends who are still in their twenties. People can be so... well, immature.

LOL when I was in my 20s, I thought 30 was old, and when I was in my 30s, I thought 40 was old. ;-) I think it is the nature of growing older to fear what lies ahead, but it isn't always bad. :-)

MidnightMoon
December 8th, 2016, 12:38 AM

1 year in my case. I went from tailbone to around BSL that pulled to the front would be above my breasts in February 2015. I have pictures from April 2016 and it was already at waist. Its now hip and Im hoping it will be back at where it was before the chop in 4-6 months, though Ive been at a bit of a stall for a couple of months :(

hanne jensen
December 8th, 2016, 02:01 AM
LadyNova, I have baby fine delicate hair and my hair grows very unevenly. This is why I dust every month or so. My hair damages very easily and for me it's much easier to lose 1/2 cm a month rather than a major trim every 6 months. If it isn't necessary for your hair, then don't dust often. I'm just cursed with very damage prone hair.