PDA

View Full Version : Dry sebum

ChloeDharma
October 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm wondering who else has this. Mine doesn't spread down the length in that oily way, it just kinda collects at my scalp being.....hard and white....really when i think about it it's quite rank.
Anyway i tend to try to make sure i get EFA's in my diet but still have hard sebum, i oil my scalp with coconut oil which helps....but i think i need something stronger. I'm thinking i should do a jojoba oil scalp oiling, i mostly herb wash, or CO wash with a cone free conditioner (original source sweet almond and coconut). I used to think it was my coney conditioners building up but i think i can rule that out now.
I don't use shampoo because my hair just can't take it, even when it's coated in a heavy oiling AND covered in conditioner to wash CWC style.
I vinegar rinse after each wash with rosemary, lavender and ylang ylang EO's added, though the ylang ylang i only just started using again.
Thinking about it last night when i washed my scalp felt really clear and tingly like it was breathing again, it's just now that it's got that stuff on it that i'm noticing but surely one day is far too soon to be building up?....i know i can't proper wash daily....maybe a rinse each day might be needed....now i'm just rambly musing.....but for those of you who also get this how do you deal with it?

Pegasus Marsters
October 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM
Scalp massages might help, but that's all I can think of.

Myrddin
October 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
Scalp massages might help, but that's all I can think of.

Yes, scalp massages, bbb or another brush or comb you like for massaging the scalp.

You can also mist your scalp lightly before massaging. If I do it properly my scalp feels pretty clean afterwards, but my hair is greasy...

maskedrose
October 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
I get this too, although I seem to have a mix of hard white sebum and sebum that actually makes my roots oily. If I scritch lightly with my nails I can almost always pull off some hard white balls, even if I washed earlier that day. So, while I don't have any recommendations I will be watching this post to see what others have to say!

Slug Yoga
October 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM
I wonder if it's genetic? For instance, there are 2 kinds of earwax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwax#Production.2C_composition.2C_and_different_ types), dry and wet, and earwax is produced by sebaceous glands.

spidermom
October 1st, 2008, 06:24 PM
It could be residue from a product that you're using. A few years back I tried a Biolage shampoo that left white residue on my scalp. It itched like crazy. I'd scratch and get this flaky, white, waxy stuff. I've gotten it after COing a few times, too.

mira-chan
October 1st, 2008, 07:09 PM
It is genetic at least in part.

I have this dry sebum. None of it goes on the length, jsut collects at the scalp level. It is not product build up, as there is no product there to build up most of the time.

Massage helps but it doesn't dissolve the gunk. "Like dissolves like" So oil works do do that. Combination of oil and massage works best. Even scritching doesn't do anything.

BBB doesn't reach my scalp and again doesn't dissolve it so nothing moves down. I've tried it even with a kent quality BBB. No go.

ChloeDharma, the oil that worked best for me in clearing this is Sesame. Jojoba didn't do anything. Neither did camellia (Japanese or Chinese). I use a mix of sesame infused with amla and brahmi (ordered from FNWL) with EOs. I use jsut a few drops, and massage my scalp while using that. I do that between washes as needed. As in when my scalp starts to feel gunky. It clears things up rather nicely.

I completely understand the feeling of the scalp finally breathing after a wash. Just rincing the scalp more often doesn't help as water doesn't dissolve the stuff. If I've not oiled before washing I'd have to scrub the gunk off my scalp with nails to get it off.

Friesiangirl
October 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
I have the same problem, and for me, it can be quite itchy. I cut out most of my CO ing, and every 3 days I WO and then oil heavily with EVOO or Almond Oil, I make sure to get the oil down to my scalp too. I figure that if my hair is up anyways, if my scalp is oily, it won't matter.

Hayley

ChloeDharma
October 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the replies.....i must ask my sisters if they get it, my dad's sort of bald and has no idea what sebum is anyway so it's pointless asking him, and my mums, well she's no longer with us so can't ask her. Though it does make sense for genetics to play a part.
BBB'ing i do anyway and was quite disappointed that it doesn't seem to shift the stuff...though mostly it does get to my scalp, i'm guessing the sebum needs to be a bit more fluid for that to work.
Scalp massage i do too, and by itself it doesn't seem to really shift it, just leaves the pads of my fingers feeling waxy (i can't believe i'm being this graphic about it).
Oils i thought helped, i still love my bhringraj oil which is in a coconut oil base, but i don't think it quite does the job for dissolving sebum on me, or, maybe it does a bit, i hadn't heavily oiled my scalp before my last wash so that might be a reason.
product buildup.....i'd be surprised because i mainly use herbs and things like that, plus it very much looks like sebum, and it develops rather than being evident straight after washing. But, i do CO wash a bit too so maybe i need to keep an eye on that.
Sesame oil i actually have but have more been using it in cooking though the one time i tried it as a hair oil i loved it, and am planning on getting more to make a herb infused scalp oil for winter because i'm just not enjoying having to sit with bottles between my legs or down my top trying to melt the coconut oil base.
Mira i'm surprised the jojoba didn't work for you as it's meant to be ideal for dissolving sebum, though i've only heavily oiled with it a few times really and more kept it for light oilings and face moisturising so never tested the theory.
Almond oil also sounds a good idea as it definately clears out my pores for me on my face, and my hair loves it.
I get the itching thing too and for some insane reason i never really linked it, i just thought it was something i had to put up with because i felt my hair couldn't take being washed lots though now i'm thinking i will wash it more which also gives the the excuse to try some experiments i've been wanting to try for, well....since earlier this year.
Actually, Mira....how do herbs like shikakai and/or reetha do at removing yours? I've been diluting my shikakai alot with much more conditioning herbs or using it as an infused strained rinse so maybe i need to try it as a stronger paste. I've also heard that it's good in a hair oil for what was described as "scurf" which i'm wondering if it might be the same thing.
Thanks again for the replies :flower:

ps, good to see you posting again peggy! ;) xxx

mira-chan
October 1st, 2008, 08:38 PM
I use herbs, when powdered, without straining them. They have a nice scrub effect then and clear the crud up better. If oiled and sebum nicely dissolved through massage then strained works fine too.

I actually either do a rather strong shikakai mix paste or a methi or hibiscus mask that is left on for a while. Anything in between doesn't work as well. The first one is strong enough to cut through the crud plus the scrub effect. The second one makes the crud mush softer so it clears up with minimal massage while washing it out.

Almond oil I'm sure would work well. I sadly can't use it as it reacts strangely with my skin. I never want to feel crunchy skin again. I believe Icydove used apricot kernel oil successfully and finds it better than almond. I want to try it when I work through my monster oil stash.

My problem with Jojoba and camellia may be similar to the almond oil reaction, though not as bad. The oils stick to the hair and scalp differently than coconut or sesame do. They also don't "dissapear" after an hour post oiling like the other two. Castor oil mixed with coconut also "dissapears" like that. The hair just feels smooth but not oily. Sebum crud goes away with them. I'm guessing they get absorbed or very thinly spread through the hair and scalp, taking the sebum with them. Jojoba and camellia just sit there with no ill or particularly good effect except on the ends where they act like detangler and smoother.

ChatoyantLocks
October 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
I have a wooden comb with slightly pointy tips I use for scritching the scalp, followed by massages and preening.

Have you tried shampoo bars? I've been using them lately (followed by a diluted vinegar rinse), and I've been very happy with the results!

mira-chan
October 1st, 2008, 08:55 PM
I have a wooden comb with slightly pointy tips I use for scritching the scalp, followed by massages and preening.

Have you tried shampoo bars? I've been using them lately (followed by a diluted vinegar rinse), and I've been very happy with the results!

Tried scritching. I got some gunk off, but to get anything significant off I'd end up with an achy scalp first. The crud sticks on stongly. :mad:

Shampoo bars don't work with certain water. My water is relatively soft but very chlorinated. Shampoo bars don't work here. ACV rinses don't help at all, they just my my hair feel dryer. Herb tea rinces (rosemary or nettle) worked better actually. This was tested by both me and neoma, as we are in the same area.

ChloeDharma
October 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I think i'll have to do that with the shikakai next time i wash.....i've just been nervous because my hair even though it's now virgin is quite fragile naturally and i was nervous of over-stripping it despite the fact i never wash my hair unless it's been heavily oiled.
Methi is my constant with herb washes and the experiment i was thinking of involved washing with that every day or every other day for a month to see if it effected my growth/regrowth. So that might be a way to go with it.
I know what you mean about monster oil stashes, i had settled on coconut but then recently have gone back to how i used to be wanting to try all of them again....just added rice bran oil, and canola with red palm oil mixed in with it to my stock.....and STILL want to buy more!
I'm glad you said that about castor oil, it's another one i have and keep meaning to use more....i usually mix it with sweet almond or occasionally coconut if it's summer and liquid and my hair loves it. Camellia i've not tried yet but it's on my "to get if i see it" list, though reading through a bit of the monster thread on it i figured it's best for light oilings "serum" style, like broccoli seed oil....though i find the smell of that stuff so off putting but loved the effect.
Jojoba i must admit i rarely use nowdays, i used it more when my hair was chemically fried....i did find it absorbed overnight, but my hair then would suck anything up and still look dry so prolly not the best one to go by....i should try it again to see how it behaves now, though because of the price i'd probably still only use it for light oilings i think especially given the other selection of oils i have to agonise over when deciding what to use.
ChatoyantLocks...i do need to invest in a new comb so i might use that as an excuse, or the wooden brushes the body shop do which i remember thinking looked good......shampoo bars, yeah i tried a CV one earlier this year and i really didn't get on with it, though i really wanted to. But my scalp was awful with it and it really refused to remove the sebum plus seemed to leave a residue added to it and on my hair, even with vinegar rinses straight after it. Plus i seemed to develop a "wet dog" smell in my hair that got stronger the longer i tried the experiment for, even with adding EO's to the rinse. I do live in a hard water area though, maybe if i was in a soft water area it would be different.....but here soap always leaves scum on sinks and baths etc.

mira-chan
October 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Yea the monster oil stashes. I'm finishing up the last of my coconut oil for hair as the weather turns colder. I still have a huge amount of it and palm oil for soap making but I can use that for hair if I chose to.

Jojoba I got a bunch on sale and it didn't work great for hair so using it for body now. I have broccoli seed oil too and that didn't work that great. It actually gave more friction to the hair. It's going to a good home at the next meet. Some avocado oil, cocoa butter and shea butter.

I have both versions of Camellia oil. If you do want to try it, get the Japanese one, it's much better. I have my sesame mix, then curry leaf infused sesame batch. Some extra brahmi sesame and amla sesame. A bottle of Kama neeli that I will start on again once the coconut mix is done. A couple of scalp oil mixes from Russia. Rosehip oil for face and don't ask me how many EO's I have as I get them at cheaper prices in Russia (Sandalwood for less than $10? Yes please!).

I have banned myself from buying anything more till I'm done with most of them. Its gotten to absurd levels. :rolleyes:

ChloeDharma
October 1st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Hehehe i can really relate Mira, i only just recently got some more avocado oil because i know how good it is for the skin and i remember how much my hair liked it before plus i wanted the added nutrients on the scalp. And some wheatgerm oil, similar reasons...i've resisted buying Argan oil but i keep seeing it in the supermarket and my resolve is fading fast.
I'm hopefully going to one of the areas tomorrow where there's loads of indian grocers to stock up on oils and herbs.....now is the time i set for myself to make up some homemade oils you see, curry leaf being one of them, but also a mix that i started a thread on which i found a study on that showed it increased hairgrowth....a mix of curry leaf, brahmi, amla and methi....but i was going to add some bhringraj to it as well, though in the study they used coconut oil as a base but i think it'll probably be ok to substitute sesame for the winter.
Essential oils i'm jealous of you getting cheap! Though luckily most of the EO's i want to stock up on aren't the more expensive ones with the exception of Jasmin :(
Ok i think i just hijacked my thread :o

mira-chan
October 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
:laugh: I'm not helping in the hijacking department either.

I tried wheat germ butter but it didn't work for me and I absolutely hated the smell. Mum was happy to take it off my hands.

I have oils of all of the above for the oil mix, except methi. I should make that and mix them all.

ChloeDharma
October 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
I've not heard of wheatgerm butter, i just get the cold pressed oil.....is it mixed with something?
I agree the smell is vile at first, it took me years to get used to it....but after smelling neem oil i think i'm able to handle anything lol

Here's a link to that thread....which has the link to the actual study
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11251
They tested various strengths and found the strongest that they tested (about 7% for each herb) gave the best results. I figure this is still kinda scalp talk so not such a bad hijack ;)

mira-chan
October 1st, 2008, 10:39 PM
I've not heard of wheatgerm butter, i just get the cold pressed oil.....is it mixed with something?
I agree the smell is vile at first, it took me years to get used to it....but after smelling neem oil i think i'm able to handle anything lol

Here's a link to that thread....which has the link to the actual study
http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11251
They tested various strengths and found the strongest that they tested (about 7% for each herb) gave the best results. I figure this is still kinda scalp talk so not such a bad hijack ;)

Thanks for the link, I was following that thread when it was active.

If you think neem is bad. Try the KPN coconut neeli oil (do not buy!). That was neem + wheatgerm + my vilest childhood experimental plant mix after being forgotten for month.:tbear::puke: I couldn't handle it and I'm relatively fine with neem.

ChloeDharma
October 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Lol if i see that in a grocers i really hope i remember your warning and don't buy it! Mind you, i'm realy cautious of pre-made oils in the grocers because of the weird obsession manufacturers seem to have with mineral oil....but i won't get on that soap box ;)

HotRag
October 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
I use herbs, when powdered, without straining them. They have a nice scrub effect then and clear the crud up better. If oiled and sebum nicely dissolved through massage then strained works fine too.
What i "strained"?
(I have tried googling.)

AnimaSola3o4
October 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
I have this same problem! Mine itches quite a bit and is pretty miserable. It's why I went back to S&C.

And this problem is worse in the winter, anyone else notice that?

I sometimes wish I had the opposite problem cuz I'd love to go WO someday, but I don't see it ever working with my scalp and the flaky buildup crap. :(

ChloeDharma
October 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM
HotRag, straining is where you pour an infusion through a fine sieve or piece of material so that the liquid can be used without the solid bits in it. HTH :)

AnimaSola, shampoo doesn't really seem to help for me, if anything it just ends up feeling weirder and more itchy over time....plus it just brings up too many more problems for me to bother dealing with lol.
I can't say i've thought of a seasonal thing before, but it's annoying me more now and the season is changing so maybe you are onto something....though i put it down to not oiling my scalp as much because of the solidifying coconut oil for me.

HotRag
October 2nd, 2008, 02:37 AM
HotRag, straining is where you pour an infusion through a fine sieve or piece of material so that the liquid can be used without the solid bits in it. HTH :)
Thanks!:blossom:

mira-chan
October 2nd, 2008, 06:01 AM
Lol if i see that in a grocers i really hope i remember your warning and don't buy it! Mind you, i'm realy cautious of pre-made oils in the grocers because of the weird obsession manufacturers seem to have with mineral oil....but i won't get on that soap box ;)

This one doesn't have mineral oil. I'm pretty militant about not using it too. It solidifies fully in the cold. It's just smells foul. It is this dark green color but then Kama neeli is black and that is a definite good quality one.

I have this same problem! Mine itches quite a bit and is pretty miserable. It's why I went back to S&C.

I sometimes wish I had the opposite problem cuz I'd love to go WO someday, but I don't see it ever working with my scalp and the flaky buildup crap. :(

My problem is worse in the winter too, I think it's because of lower humidity (it's very humid here in the summer). My hair and scalp in general like more humidity so I don't know if that applies for anyone else.

I tried WO and failed too. There was no sebum moving down and plain water dries out my hair (thank you chlorine happy city water people). It worked better when I oiled but the scalp gunk got to me in the end. When trying without oil I could go outside with hair loose and looking normal on week 3 no wash (SO). My scalp hated me, but that wasn't visible.

Rain76
October 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM

I have severe flaking, too. It is incredibly frustrating wasting my $ on products, only to find they don't work. I even tried brewed organic green tea left on my scalp for 1 hr. No change:( I guess compared to a lot of people's problems, this is really just a minor inconvenience. It is major to me, though.

bgarrison
October 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Does anyone have dry, itchy scalp and can _feel_ gunk, but nothing comes off?? I can feel it ( balls and some small flakes, bumps) but there's nothing under my nails or visible to other people? I feel like a looney tune. I even had a dermatologist look at it ( she was not very thorough though) and she said my scalp was totally healthy.

Ok, now I know I sound nutty, but it's true! My scalp has been wonky since May when I decided to go off SLS. I've tried all sorts of routines (shampoo bars, zinc and salysilate shampoos, CO, "natural type shampoos, and going back to my old products) and nothing is helping for long.

The balls and gunk are there right after I wash, and I'm scritching well, rinsing well, massaging etc.

I do have Sjogrens' which is an Autoimmune disorder that effects salivary glands and other mucous membranes. I'm thinking it must effect my scalp as well. It's all body moisture right? Does anyone else have this? Dare I ask about yeast infections on the scalp? Candidiasis?

mira-chan
October 16th, 2008, 08:07 AM
bgarrison, my scalp doesn't easily shed the gunk. It comes off but with effort. My mother has looked at my scalp and said it looks normal, no gunk to be seen. Then I scratch with a nail and gunk is right there. Hmm... I feel gunk now but getting very little in a nail scratch test.

If you are worried about candida ( I don't think it is, believe me it's more noticible.) you can get an anti fungal treatment. An oil with sulfur, pine tar shampoo/ soap, or similar things. Though since you tried the shampoos and they didn't help I'm pretty sure it's not an infection. If the gunk feeling improves than it's a fungal infection.

Since it doesn't then it's something else. It could very likely be related to your autoimmune disorder.

rhubarbarin
October 16th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I have both hard and soft sebum. Some collects in little hard balls, some makes my hair greasy. If it's been a while since I washed and I rub my scalp, it sheds a very fine sebum dust.

I use shampoo now so I don't have a problem with getting rid of it. And it only really starts to build up if I haven't shampooed in 5 days or so - I usually wash every other day.

ETA: It does make my head VERY ITCHY.

bgarrison
October 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the input, Mira-Chan. Nice to know I'm not the only one who can feel it when others can't see it!

Rhubarbin, what shampoo are you using? Anything special? I too get those balls, as well as oily hair. My scalp gunks up so quickly-- within 24 hours. Anyone else?

Itchy, itchy. I feel like a monkey if I don't watch myself.

DarkChocolate
October 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I have this too and scalp massages help as well as my boar bristle brush.
I have tons of white flakes fall when I use my boar bristle brush after my hair dries from washing.

WavyGirl
October 20th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I think I must have this too. Sadly I also have the sebum that makes my hair look greasy. I can always get a nailful of sebum if I scratch my head. Even if I've washed with shampoo that morning. I was thinking it was skin, but it feels waxy so I guess it's not.

I too get the flakes and with my dark hair and pale skin they're very noticeable. It's aggravating because I know washing with an anti-dandruff shampoo will get rid of them temporarily but after a couple of washes that irritates my scalp too. It doesn't make sense to me that I can have all this stuff on my scalp and still have dry flakey skin.

It makes life hard because I can't find a washing method that covers all the bases. My scalp needs the gunk off, but I think that the SLS irritates it instead. It also makes my hair dry and brittle which I hate. It itches if I don't wash and for a different reason if I do. :( I just got some shampoo bars and have been washing daily with them and doing a vinegar rinse. They don't feel great to me at the moment, but it's a learning curve with any new routine so I'm persevering. WO didn't work for me as I got way too much buildup at my scalp and just looked greasy to my shoulders. I couldn't get any of the sebum to the ends which looked dry and frizzy.

mira-chan I tried the massage with sesame oil after reading your post and it seemed good, but I've only done it once so I'm not sure. I have tried jojoba, coconut, sweet almond and olive oils in the past. My hair doesn't really like any of them too much.

It's been an eye opener reading this thread. I never really realised that this was happening at all until I read your posts. I often feel I'm just blindly trying things because I can't really define what the problem is. So thanks everyone for sharing the gory details.

bgarrison
October 20th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Well, no matter what the dermatologist said, something is wrong with my scalp. If I don't scritch/oil it, something crusty builds up after a day or so. And I know this is new, because no way could I have ignored this my whole life!Not sure how to help it because like you, wavygirl, medicated shampoos leaves the roots crunchy, dry and pull all the volume from my hair. Definitely won't work for the long haul.

Vinegar rinse after my last wash helped with itches, so maybe I'll stick with that, but the crustiness came back very quickly. I really like the idea of shampoo bars (because I have autoimmune issues) and want them to work-- has any one had good luck with one of those? A neem or tea tree? Or maybe a super moisturizing one? I keep feeling if the sebum/ scalp is dry then I must need moisture....???

mira-chan
October 20th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Well, no matter what the dermatologist said, something is wrong with my scalp. If I don't scritch/oil it, something crusty builds up after a day or so. And I know this is new, because no way could I have ignored this my whole life!Not sure how to help it because like you, wavygirl, medicated shampoos leaves the roots crunchy, dry and pull all the volume from my hair. Definitely won't work for the long haul.

Vinegar rinse after my last wash helped with itches, so maybe I'll stick with that, but the crustiness came back very quickly. I really like the idea of shampoo bars (because I have autoimmune issues) and want them to work-- has any one had good luck with one of those? A neem or tea tree? Or maybe a super moisturizing one? I keep feeling if the sebum/ scalp is dry then I must need moisture....???

I got this problem in addiction ot a huge shed and a hair type change thanks to exiting puberty. Thank you hormones.:mad: I don't remember having my scalp build up crud like that before then.

Shampoo bars didn't work for me because of the local water, too much chlorine bust soft, ACV didn't help much either.

I use tea tree EO in my scalp oil mix and Neem was in my pre-wash mix. They do help a bit.

I'm not sure about moisturization because even when I used CO washing my scalp produced crud galore and rebelled even more. If you don't have problems with aloe (like I do, grrr) using aloe juice or gel straight from the plant before wash on the hair and scalp would help in moisturization.

bgarrison
October 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM
Hormones, friend *and* foe. I'm at the other end and again they are a huge part of my life. Can't ignore them, so I'm trying to work with them, but lord it's hard.

CO was _not_ good for my scalp either. At All. I'm going to try the aloe though. For some reason that seems like a good possibility. I've seen it sooth irritated skin, which seems to be a huge part of my problem.

Yesterday I washed with a very dilute mixture of EO shampoo, WF conditioner and a 2% salycilic acid shampoo. Still cruddy. Oh, and a vinegar rinse. A little less itchy, however.

mira-chan
October 21st, 2008, 07:58 AM
Salicylic acid didn't help me either. I made a sulfur oil this week and will try it before my next wash to see what effect it has. If it does work, I'll post up a recipe here.

I do use a light scalp mix that I massage in without washing out.
Base: Amla infused sesame (75%), Brahmi infused sesame (25%) (Bought from From Nature with Love.)
Essential oils: Lavander, Tea tree, Rosemary, Jatamansi (Indian Spikenard), Texas Cedarwood, Bay Laurel. 2-5 drops each (Listed according to amount added.)

This gets rid of itchies and helps break up the crud very well. It also helps with growth.

Some of those EO's are hard to find, especially Jatamansi and bay laurel.

ChloeDharma
October 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
Salicylic acid didn't help me either. I made a sulfur oil this week and will try it before my next wash to see what effect it has. If it does work, I'll post up a recipe here.

Base: Amla infused sesame (75%), Brahmi infused sesame (25%) (Bought from From Nature with Love.)
Essential oils: Lavander, Tea tree, Rosemary, Jatamansi (Indian Spikenard), Texas Cedarwood, Bay Laurel. 2-5 drops each (Listed according to amount added.)

This gets rid of itchies and helps break up the crud very well. It also helps with growth.

You made the sulphur oil? Excellent, i'll look forward to reading your results with that! I've still not got to the shop that sells it yet but it's definately on my (very long) to do list.

I tried the sweet almond oil and it did seem to really help.

bgarrison
October 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the ideas, mira chan. I've been using jojoba on my scalp, mixed with a little rosemary and tee tree, but I find it hard to only apply a small amount. Usually it feels so good, I apply a fair amount at night then need to wash the next day, which gets to be a lot of work.

Last night I tried some aloe which did quell the itchies, but today my hair looks pretty goofy. Application was hard, though.

( grouse: I am so tired of this!! If I'm not itching like a monkey I look like an ick!! :( )

mira-chan
October 22nd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the ideas, mira chan. I've been using jojoba on my scalp, mixed with a little rosemary and tee tree, but I find it hard to only apply a small amount. Usually it feels so good, I apply a fair amount at night then need to wash the next day, which gets to be a lot of work.

Last night I tried some aloe which did quell the itchies, but today my hair looks pretty goofy. Application was hard, though.

( grouse: I am so tired of this!! If I'm not itching like a monkey I look like an ick!! :( )

For the aloe, my DBF's mother uses it a lot. She puts it on all over the hair and saturates it so it looks like she has gel on. After a couple of hours to a day she washes it out. She uses the gel from leaves not pre-packaged stuff. Application is a bit messy.

Applying a smaller amount of oil is tricky. For me using a bottle with a dropper helps. I put two drops on my palm then pick it up with the finger of the other hand, rub it between my fingers and dive under the hair to massage it in. That way as little as only two drops can be used.

That said, my hair hides oiliness much better than most so I use 10 or so drops at a time and have no problem.

WavyGirl
October 27th, 2008, 01:20 AM
*snip* Applying a smaller amount of oil is tricky. For me using a bottle with a dropper helps. I put two drops on my palm then pick it up with the finger of the other hand, rub it between my fingers and dive under the hair to massage it in. That way as little as only two drops can be used.

That said, my hair hides oiliness much better than most so I use 10 or so drops at a time and have no problem.

That's how I've been applying sesame oil all week before washing (2 drops only). It really seems to be helping. I've managed to cut back to every other day again using it. I haven't had an itchy scalp all week and my hair still seems happy. :cheese: Thanks mira-chan for that suggestion.

mira-chan
October 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM
You made the sulphur oil? Excellent, i'll look forward to reading your results with that! I've still not got to the shop that sells it yet but it's definately on my (very long) to do list.

I tried the sweet almond oil and it did seem to really help.

I have tried out the oil on Thursday. I'm waiting till after second application and wash to give a fill report (End of this week). I have posted my results so far in my blog. So far so good.

That's how I've been applying sesame oil all week before washing (2 drops only). It really seems to be helping. I've managed to cut back to every other day again using it. I haven't had an itchy scalp all week and my hair still seems happy. :cheese: Thanks mira-chan for that suggestion.

You're weolcome. ^_^ I'm glad the technique helped you.

RetroKitten
December 19th, 2008, 06:33 PM
How does having candida relate with your scalp? Would love to hear more about that, I had the suspicion that I might have c. before...!

Applying a smaller amount of oil is tricky. For me using a bottle with a dropper helps. I put two drops on my palm then pick it up with the finger of the other hand, rub it between my fingers and dive under the hair to massage it in. That way as little as only two drops can be used.

The second method doesn't work for me, I never touch my scalp just hair with my fingers :mad:. The amount of oil I need is rather large, too.
I wonder if I do something wrong :confused:

mira-chan
December 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
How does having candida relate with your scalp? Would love to hear more about that, I had the suspicion that I might have c. before...!

The second method doesn't work for me, I never touch my scalp just hair with my fingers :mad:. The amount of oil I need is rather large, too.
I wonder if I do something wrong :confused:
Candida infection? That should really be checked by a doctor.

You don't have your hair type posted but do you have very thick hair? I don't feel the scalp fully in most spots when I scalp massage. I do use a lot more than two drops unless it's spot specific just tend to recommend to start small and work your way up in amounts as needed.

RetroKitten
December 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Candida infection? That should really be checked by a doctor.

You don't have your hair type posted but do you have very thick hair? I don't feel the scalp fully in most spots when I scalp massage. I do use a lot more than two drops unless it's spot specific just tend to recommend to start small and work your way up in amounts as needed.

I already have an appointment with a doc, but I would really like know how an infection does show on the scalp!!??

My hair is fine and I _think_ I have lots of it. Tried oiling with fingers yesterday again, didn't work, I got most of the oil on my hair.
The only method that works for me is applying with a dropper which always takes a lot of time.

mira-chan
December 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
I already have an appointment with a doc, but I would really like know how an infection does show on the scalp!!??

My hair is fine and I _think_ I have lots of it. Tried oiling with fingers yesterday again, didn't work, I got most of the oil on my hair.
The only method that works for me is applying with a dropper which always takes a lot of time.
Oil will always get on the hair in addition to the scalp and will be visible on the hair first. I don't think there is a way of oiling the scalp without getting the oil on the hair.

As for Candida, it usually overgrows in the mucus membranes (such the oral cavity thrush). There is always some candida on everyone, this is normal, the problem is when it overgrows. It tends to give a white color to the mucus membranes but a bit of a white yellow on outer skin which is not as common. It thrives on high glucose foods so if a lower glucose, sucrose, lactose and starch diet helps with the problem then candida is a possible culprit.

marajade
December 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm wondering who else has this. Mine doesn't spread down the length in that oily way, it just kinda collects at my scalp being.....hard and white....really when i think about it it's quite rank.
Anyway i tend to try to make sure i get EFA's in my diet but still have hard sebum, i oil my scalp with coconut oil which helps....but i think i need something stronger. I'm thinking i should do a jojoba oil scalp oiling, i mostly herb wash, or CO wash with a cone free conditioner (original source sweet almond and coconut). I used to think it was my coney conditioners building up but i think i can rule that out now.
I don't use shampoo because my hair just can't take it, even when it's coated in a heavy oiling AND covered in conditioner to wash CWC style.
I vinegar rinse after each wash with rosemary, lavender and ylang ylang EO's added, though the ylang ylang i only just started using again.
Thinking about it last night when i washed my scalp felt really clear and tingly like it was breathing again, it's just now that it's got that stuff on it that i'm noticing but surely one day is far too soon to be building up?....i know i can't proper wash daily....maybe a rinse each day might be needed....now i'm just rambly musing.....but for those of you who also get this how do you deal with it?

My scalp gets crusty buildup, not sure if this is the same thing you are describing. . tea tree oil really helps, vinegar rinses (with water) and some shampoos. Also, make sure you are getting good nutrition (sounds like you are) and LOTS of water intake. Maybe a dehydration issue?

marajade
December 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM

Actually, when I used Miconazole i.e. a sulfur based product, right?, it seemed to really help break up my buildup. Oh, and with it having I guess mineral oil in it it helped moisturize my scalp, but you could mix it with another oil if you felt you needed to.

RetroKitten
December 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
Oil will always get on the hair in addition to the scalp and will be visible on the hair first. I don't think there is a way of oiling the scalp without getting the oil on the hair.

As for Candida, it usually overgrows in the mucus membranes (such the oral cavity thrush). There is always some candida on everyone, this is normal, the problem is when it overgrows. It tends to give a white color to the mucus membranes but a bit of a white yellow on outer skin which is not as common. It thrives on high glucose foods so if a lower glucose, sucrose, lactose and starch diet helps with the problem then candida is a possible culprit.

Actually, when I used Miconazole i.e. a sulfur based product, right?, it seemed to really help break up my buildup. Oh, and with it having I guess mineral oil in it it helped moisturize my scalp, but you could mix it with another oil if you felt you needed to.

When I apply my miconazole gel - water mixture with a dropper my roots are always sticky from it, too, but most of it is on my scalp and that's what I try to achieve with oil, too.

Yesterday I oiled my scalp with sesame oil that comes in a little bottle with a small opening that made it very easy to apply on my scalp - it feels a lot smoother today and there was less white gunk a few hours ago but now it seems to build up again :knuckle:.

When I use the miconazole gel on my scalp it feels like my scalp can finally "breath again" for several hours (I don't know if that is even possible) and there's no white gunk for some time.

I used to have oily hair that would need to be washed everyday. That changed when I did some scalp oiling with Lush's snake oil bar (http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/cheveux/traitements-capillaires/pain-a-lhuile-de-serpent) and a lot of clarifying & massaging my scalp.
It felt like there was a coat covering my whole scalp that was suddenly gone!!!
My idea is that this coat I am speaking of was covering my whole head and my scalp did producte large amounts of oil just to condition the skin somehow, but never have any success, thus producing more oil.
Now my hair is dry and my scalp doesn't produce a lot of oil at all....

Also, it doesn't look like dandruff to me (sometimes it's almost liquid what I scratch off my head!) and I have always had a lot of problems with fungal infections on other parts of my body.

mira-chan
December 21st, 2008, 08:13 PM

Miconazole (C18H14Cl4N2O)is an antifungal and anti parasitic. There is no sulfur in it. I've used sulfur oil ( home made) and that clears up itchies but not the harder sebum production. If it clears up all the problems then your problems came from fungal (yeast like candida is a fungus too) overgrowth.

Oil does not moisturize. It can coat, protect, give slip, shine and maleability but not moisturize. It can dissolve other oils and butters, that's why it clears up solid sebum off the scalp.

I, like many others here, do not use mineral oil becuase the only way to remove it is to use sulfate shampoo. I am sensitive to sulfate detergents, they make my scalp bleed at their worst. Also mixing the mineral oil with other oils will not make it much easier to remove. I learned that the hard way when I first found this site.

If it's dry sebum then when you scratch the it will generally be white and crumbly, not wet feeling.

Oil will not act the same as miconazole gel as I gather the gel is thicker so will stay in place more. Something like lanolin may act similarly but it is MUCH stickier and harder to remove so generaly not used on it's own. From what I read Emu oil may act simialrly too but it is expensive.

RetroKitten
December 21st, 2008, 10:48 PM
Mineral oil can lock moisture ("water"?) in because it covers the skin it is applied to with an air&waterproof layer - a quality you can use in my different ways.
It will only have short - time effects and has been linked to cancer that's why I don't use it.

Sorry, no good English today :rolleyes:.

ChloeDharma
December 22nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
Mineral oil can lock moisture ("water"?) in because it covers the skin it is applied to with an air&waterproof layer - a quality you can use in my different ways.
It will only have short - time effects and has been linked to cancer that's why I don't use it.

Sorry, no good English today :rolleyes:.

Mineral oil has been linked to cancer??? :agape:

mira-chan
December 22nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Mineral oil has been linked to cancer??? :agape:
What hasn't been linked to cancer? :lol: It's as safe as herbs as long as you don't bathe in it constantly. Herbs and oils give problems to people too.

UP Lisa
December 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
I think this is just something we have to live with. And yes, it can build up in a few hours. Actually, for me it doesn't really seem to ever get washed off completely. Shampooing just softens it up. I can scratch it off right after shampooing.

I have both kinds of sebum I think I get it from my Dad. His head is still oily at 83. My Mother has never had an oily scalp. Lucky her.

bgarrison
February 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Just wondering how everyone's doing now that we're dead in the middle of winter. Mine is still dry, itchy and prolific.

No washing routine is helping much on a reliable basis. Has anyone found any method or product to be more helpful? ACV is helping with the immediate itchies for a bit, as are shampoo bars, but I seem to shed more with them, so there's a tradeoff. I do seem to need to wash every other day at least, which just feels like too much! If I'm not washing or drying, I'm itching and oiling!

I also find coconut oil better than jojoba which leaves my scalp crunchy. EVOO was not so great either.

Today I'm getting some sesame oil. I haven't tried it yet. I'm assuming non- toasted right? ;)

UP Lisa
February 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I've never put oil on my scalp. I figure there's too much oil there already. Also, I'm afraid of clogging hair follicles.

rhubarbarin
February 16th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I have hard, dry sebum as well that mostly sticks tight to my scalp. If I massage my scalp it comes off in lovely little balls that stick in my hair and look like dandruff.

As long as I wash every few days with sulfate shampoo my scalp is happy. Even in winter, doesn't dry anything out.

When I was doing CO, and washing with soap/doing ACV rinses, I had a terrible problem with itching and much more sebum stick to my scalp, as well as my hair getting greasy very fast. I also used to get painful pimples on my scalp sometimes.

bgarrison
February 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I've never put oil on my scalp. I figure there's too much oil there already. Also, I'm afraid of clogging hair follicles.

Lately, I've been using oil as a pre-cleaner before washing to dissolve the dry sebum. It seems to help keep my scalp cleaner longer, but I also wonder about the concept of overstimulation and overproduction.

rhurbabarin, do you have a sulfate shampoo without cones that you like? One thing I'm getting clearer on is that I prefer the feeling of my hair and scalp without cones, even though the "slip" is nice for the tangles.

HotRag
February 17th, 2009, 12:22 PM
My scalp has also bean cleaner and nicer since pre oiling it.
I also think it is solving sebum.

For me, oil hasn't done any harm, wherever it been put. Even overoiling very often doesn't do anything bad, more than look greasy until absorbed or cleaned out. Both in hair and on scalp.

lora410
February 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Yup, I get this to. It like I itch and a gunk shows underneath my finger nail. I also get the hard ball sebum as well. I tried scrubbing the hell out of my scalp with no luck. I am suprised my hair grows as much as it goes with all the gunk.

SimplyLonghair
February 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I also get this, mine is a mix of the two kinds of sebum, the oilier and the dry crusty type, which makes sense since, I also have the two types of ear wax. I didn't realize that it was an American native trait though. Interesting.

I have recently begun oiling an then using Baking soda washes, using about a 1.5 tsp per cup of water and my scalp felt clean! It felt like it could breath! It was so nice. The oil that I used was emu, my scalp loves it! It absorbed very well. I put it on overnight and then washed in morning and then great hair day! :happydance:

I hope that it stays this way.:D

Yes I have more issues in winter than summer, but not sure if it isn't just due to difference in the humidity here too. In winter it is less and high humidity in summer.

MadPirateBippy
February 17th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I have the same issue (my sebum is about the consistancy of playdough, if not harder).

The only thing that really seems to help me is asprin. Crush a few up, mix it up, put it on your scalp, then rinse later. I have asprin powder (you can get it for cheap in bulk at vetranary stores, or you can buy large things of it at the store and crush them yourself, it's much easier if you put a drop of hot water on each tablet and let them sit first) in my conditioner.

I've run out this month and the itchy on my scalp is driving me mad.

I hope that's helpful!

SimplyLonghair
February 17th, 2009, 05:26 PM
That funny MPB, cuz DD and I were just talking about using aspirin for things like scalps and face just the other day. I think I will experiment with it some, thanks for the idea! :crush:

Dez
February 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I've also always had the gunk under the finger nails. IT looks like dandruff. I noticed that it's worse in winter and I don't get it all the time. Just occasionally. Even when I used S&C. I was having a bad bout with it when I began using CO. I still had a little with the CO but nothing worse than with S&C so I just rinsed extra which always helps. But the CO did seem to soothe my scalp so it wasn't itchy.

But then I tried the dairy whip and my scalp became VERY itchy and lots of the gunk. So I went back to S&C which didn't help. So the other night I scritched a ton with my nails and washed with a clarifying shampoo and now my scalp is clear. Now i'm back to CO.

That's interesting about the aspirin. If I get it back with CO it's worth a try with that in the conditioner to see if it helps. I don't like scritching too much because it makes my scalp sore. But luckily for me this is not a constant problem.

MadPirateBippy
February 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM

If you want to know if you have a yeast infection on your scalp, go over it with a blacklight in a dark room. Yeast glows orange. You'll be able to see little orange spots on your body if you look close, but if you have a big orange patch? Yeast infection.

At the dermotogists office they call it a woods lamp and charge a bunch for the procedure. You can get a black light bulb at the local walmart and do it yourself with a small lamp, though.

That funny MPB, cuz DD and I were just talking about using aspirin for things like scalps and face just the other day. I think I will experiment with it some, thanks for the idea! :crush:

I use asprin for my face and scalp. I haven't noticed it doing anything for my hair, but my skin tends to stick/not exfoliate well and I have the dreaded dry sebum (I described it earlier like playdough, it goes from that to sort of the texture of pencil eraser bits... very hard, does not flow, gets stopped up in my pores something awful).

When I use asprin in a mask and leave it on for long enough, my blackheads all leave. It's fantastic. It's amazing. I cannot live without it. I MISS MY ASPIRN! :cheese:

mamaherrera
November 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I'm getting me a black lamp because the dermatologist always says things are fine, and I have this same issue, the dry stuff. Even attaches to my shed hairs. How do you do the aspirin in the scalp?? I mean, if you dilute it in water, how do you get it evenly distributed and how long do you leave it on. . .etc.

Also, what if you have SD, seborrheic, and dry sebum. Because with SD, you're not supposed to put oil on the scalp ever, so what to do??? Or maybe I don't have SD, just itchies and dry sebum. I just would like to know what I have.

Lis
November 20th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Try scratching your scalp and upping your massage to get the sebum flowing.