PDA

View Full Version : question for those sensitive to oils, but wanting to essential oil massages

mamaherrera
March 28th, 2015, 06:47 PM
I want to start getting more religious about doing essential oil massages, but I know they have to be mixed in a carrier oil. So I'm wondering if I want to do them daily, but I only wash my hair twice a week, am I going to get clogged pores, irritation, acne, buildup from leaving oil on two or three days??? Just wondering how you all do it because I did try doing castor oil daily on my edges for while, and man were they oily by the third day, now imagine my whole scalp like that, but just curious!

curlymarcia
March 28th, 2015, 07:34 PM
My hair seems to hate oils, at least the ones I've tried. But seeing the amazing results with coconut oil, I want it so bad to work for me. Heavy oiling doesn't work for me, so I started to use a few drops every other day (not touching scalp yet).

I've being using home made aloe vera gel, onion juice or flax seed gel for the scalp massage with great results. I have less shedding and faster growing. My scalp love all of them, and the growing hair quality is amazing. I never mix them, they are gold by themselves. And I try to use them as fresh as possible.

curlymarcia
March 28th, 2015, 07:34 PM
My hair seems to hate oils, at least the ones I've tried. But seeing the amazing results with coconut oil, I want it so bad to work for me. Heavy oiling doesn't work for me, so I started to use a few drops every other day (not touching scalp yet).

I've being using home made aloe vera gel, onion juice or flax seed gel for the scalp massage with great results. I have less shedding and faster growing. My scalp love all of them, and the growing hair quality is amazing. I never mix them, they are gold by themselves. And I try to use them as fresh as possible.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 28th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I find my scalp prefers not to have oils on it at all, though my hair likes oil in small quantities. However, scalp massage - my scalp loves! Since my scalp is happy with the status quo - I don't want to risk upsetting it!

mamaherrera
March 28th, 2015, 07:54 PM
with onion juice, I assume you'd only do it right before a wash day no?

curlymarcia
March 28th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Yes, you will need to wash your hair after. But the other two can be leave in scalp without problem.

Nadine <3
March 28th, 2015, 08:01 PM
My scalp would throw a fit if I oiled and left it on. My head prefers if I just oil the ends. I feel like my greasy head doesn't need any more oil put on it.

Panth
March 29th, 2015, 04:25 AM
Some people do fine with leaving oil on their scalp. Others find it causes outbreaks of seborrheic dermatitis (which can then become recurrent and very annoying - itchiness, unslightly welts, hairloss, hair growth slowing, etc.). Be careful and monitor your scalp health whilst you do this experiment. At any sign of itchies (especially itchies that are relieved by an initial application of oil but rapidly get worse the longer you leave the oil on) wash it all out and stop trying to leave oil on your scalp. Remember: you can want to do something as much as you like, but if your scalp/hair doesn't like it, there's no point forcing the matter.

lapushka
March 29th, 2015, 05:14 AM
I'd only do a scalp massage with any oil right before a wash - besides it can be unsightly oil on your roots after a massage. And twice a week sounds about right! If you have SD, like Panth said, be careful with oils!

Arctic
March 29th, 2015, 09:06 AM
My skin can't take oils at all - excluding essential oils. I get horrible breakouts from regular oils.

I use aloe vera gel for my scalp massages (aloe + essential oil mix), and leave it. Mind you I wash my hair every 24-48 hours or so. Usually I do the massage in the evening and wash the next day. Aloe doesn't leave my hair/scalp visibly oily or gunky or product-y, so I could imagine doing these massages nightly even with more irregular washing. My aloe gel is the purest I could find, it says 99,9% pure aloe gel in the package, but it has other ingredients in it too, mainly water, thickening ingredients and some natural precervatives. I also add a tiny bit of water into the gel just before massaging to make it more runny (doesn't tangle my hair this way, like neat gel would).

I have read people using vinegar+ EO blends for their massages too, that would leave even less coating on the scalp.

Maybe you can do a creative mixing of carriers: castor oils on night before washing, non-oil base on other nights. I think aiming to massage every other night would be good, that's the approximately frequency many on the EO threads seem to have had success with.