PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Very short, damaged hair

DizzyGinger
March 28th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Hi, I've been browsing threads getting general ideas but I'd like some specific advice.

I used to have extremely healthy hair. Wavy, thick, and so shiny it sparkled (lol) That was when I never styled or dyed it, just braids and buns and natural hair

The last four years I've been dyeing my hair. It's been bleached a few times as well. I'm giving that up and going natural but as my hair is so short (very tiny bob) I want to care for it the best I can while growing it. I know I'll have to cut the damage off eventually but I hope to do that with trimming as it gets longer

My hair has gotten very...dirty-feeling, all the time. I got a clarifying shampoo (Suave) but I've only used it a couple times. It manages to feel greasy and straw-like at the same time. Even in the shower, right after washing and conditioning my hair feels so gross...dry and tangled but also waxy and sticky

I can't figure out if my hairs super dry or super oily or what. I don't even know where to started >.< helllppp

DizzyGinger
March 28th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Oh geez, what happened here...I can't figure out how to edit my post. Sorry for the text weirdness

lapushka
March 28th, 2015, 05:59 PM
I think you might need a protein treatment? Have you tried that?

meteor
March 28th, 2015, 06:09 PM
What you are describing (combination of greasy and dry feeling) is actually pretty common with bleached, very processed hair - you'll probably need to give your hair a lot of TLC while growing the damage out.

I'd recommend hydrolyzed proteins (DIY gelatin mask: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html or a deep treatment like Aphogee 2-Step or Joico K-Pak Reconstructor or Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus, something rich in proteins).
I'd recommend pre-poo oiling - it's great for porous/damaged hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html
Also, use penetrating oils (coconut, olive, avocado, palm...) whenever you can - as a leave-in shine serum, in oil rinses, in LOC method... It's all helpful for temporarily reducing porosity and increasing hair elasticity.
Other things that can help are products rich in silicones, ceramides, 18-mea and humectant-rich treatments like the SMT.
I'd recommend products marketed for "damaged/chemically processed" hair. HTH. :flower: