PDA

View Full Version : Getting Hair off Carpet

cathair
March 28th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Someone just shared a tip with me for getting hair off carpet. I wasn't expecting much, but I tried it just to humour them.

Oh wow, was I surprised what it dug up! 5 minutes in a metre or so square space I got a huge ball of people and cat hair, the size of my fist. I only vacuumed an hour before hand. Maybe I won't need to get the carpet washed after all...

I know this won't be for everyone, perhaps you have a better vacuum cleaner than I do, you perhaps just 'ain't nobody got time for that', or maybe you know it already. But I thought I should share it in case it helps someone.

All you need is a pair of rubber gloves, or a squeegee with a rubber edge. Put the gloves on and rub them on the carpet, or run the squeegee over the carpet. How much hair can you pick up?

Think it's best is short bursts though, it's quite hard work on your hands.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 28th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Yes, that would work. Using dampened fingers and rubbing the carpet in small circles also "rounds" up the hair well too!

cathair
March 28th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Yes, that would work. Using dampened fingers and rubbing the carpet in small circles also "rounds" up the hair well too!

I can see damp fingers working too :) It's hard and tedious work, but I reckon the carpet might be a whole shade lighter by the time it's finished :)

meteor
March 28th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Sounds really good! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot for sharing! :D

What I do is pretty easy: I use one of those special brushes for long-haired cats (they look a bit like Tangle Teasers) to go over the carpet and I pull out the hairs that way - they tend to intertwine, tangle together quite a bit so it doesn't take long to pick them all off the carpet this way.

cathair
March 28th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Sounds really good! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot for sharing! :D

What I do is pretty easy: I use one of those special brushes for long-haired cats (they look a bit like Tangle Teasers) to go over the carpet and I pull out the hairs that way - they tend to intertwine, tangle together quite a bit so it doesn't take long to pick them all off the carpet this way.

That's pretty nifty :) I'm not sure I've seen brushes like tangle teasers for cats. I've got a rubber one with very large points and a comb for my cat. I am curious about them now :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 28th, 2015, 07:00 PM
I can see damp fingers working too :) It's hard and tedious work, but I reckon the carpet might be a whole shade lighter by the time it's finished :)

Or even a dampened sponge:) Lucky my hair is carpet coloured (or the carpet is hair coloured, lol). I also have a most obliging Roomba robot vacuum and she never complains about the amount of hair on the carpet.

cathair
March 28th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Or even a dampened sponge:) Lucky my hair is carpet coloured (or the carpet is hair coloured, lol). I also have a most obliging Roomba robot vacuum and she never complains about the amount of hair on the carpet.

I wish I had a Roomba :D I bet the cat would find it amusing too. I vacuumed before I did this, I guess my vacuum just isn't picking up enough (even though it always seems full of hair). That's well thought out a carpet than matches your hair. I have dark hair, a black cat and a beige carpet. On reflection, maybe not the wisest choice :D

meteor
March 28th, 2015, 07:14 PM
That's pretty nifty :) I'm not sure I've seen brushes like tangle teasers for cats. I've got a rubber one with very large points and a comb for my cat. I am curious about them now :)

What I meant is kind of like this (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/zsQAAOSwEppUQv-Z/$_35.JPG).
However, I just did a bit of googling and I see some cat/dog brushes that I imagine would be perfect for cleaning carpets: like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Dog_brush.JPG)or this (http://www.thecatsite.com/content/type/61/id/118028/width/260/height/194)

cathair
March 28th, 2015, 07:22 PM
What I meant is kind of like this (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFgxMDAw/z/zsQAAOSwEppUQv-Z/$_35.JPG).
However, I just did a bit of googling and I see some cat/dog brushes that I imagine would be perfect for cleaning carpets: like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Dog_brush.JPG)or this (http://www.thecatsite.com/content/type/61/id/118028/width/260/height/194)

Thanks for the links :) The first one looks really practical. It looks like it's in between the rubber brush I have and another which is like a grooming glove. I could see the working quite well on carpet.

The second two I don't think would work, on my carpet at least. It has quite a long pile and I they would shred/untwist the pile and pull too much fluff out. Maybe on a short pile carpet?

butter52
March 28th, 2015, 07:45 PM
I use a wet cloth or sponge and some of those foams for carpet cleaning, and rub in circles. Is time consuming so I do it like once every few months amd just vacuum in between

Teazel
March 28th, 2015, 07:59 PM
The right pair of shoes can work wonders. If you've got a pair with rubbery soles you can scrape your feet over rugs or carpet and roll up any hair quite effectively, before vacuuming.

cathair
March 28th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I use a wet cloth or sponge and some of those foams for carpet cleaning, and rub in circles. Is time consuming so I do it like once every few months amd just vacuum in between

I've done spots with a cloth before, but never thought about doing the whole thing :)

The right pair of shoes can work wonders. If you've got a pair with rubbery soles you can scrape your feet over rugs or carpet and roll up any hair quite effectively, before vacuuming.

Like the idea a lot! :D Would save an awful lot of arm work. I wonder if any of my shoes would work for that...

Thank you both :)

Hairkay
March 29th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Those sound like good tips for getting out hair. I find carpets too much to maintain for one with allergies so I made the decision never to have any.

Swan Maiden
March 29th, 2015, 04:33 AM

This works, however, I am cringing imagining that feeling on my hands and the heat of the friction. Im strange like that though, I also cant touch towels without it feeling weird to me.

Viola88
March 29th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Hahaha, Swan Maiden, because I am cringing when I think about wet hands scraping up loose hair. Yuck :) No offense to you, cathair, it's just a phobia of mine...loose hair, loose wet hair and loose wet hair on my fingers! :D

Timea
March 29th, 2015, 05:30 AM
I couldn't touch it with my hands either! But I have a rubber brush and it works pretty well on the carpet.

cathair
March 29th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Hahaha, Swan Maiden, because I am cringing when I think about wet hands scraping up loose hair. Yuck :) No offense to you, cathair, it's just a phobia of mine...loose hair, loose wet hair and loose wet hair on my fingers! :D

Hahaha, none taken, that's why I am using dry rubber gloves ;) I also couldn't deal with the friction. I'm not keen on the idea of getting the carpet damp either, although I can see it would work.

Madora
March 29th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I've used the rubber gloves idea too..but I found what really works is this: take a large piece of light colored plastic (I used half of a tablecloth) and place it down on the floor before you begin to brush/comb. Proceed to brush/comb as usual then pick up all the fallen hairs from the plastic when you're finished. If plastic doesn't appeal to you, then use an old bedsheet.

ashke50
March 29th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I use a floor sweeper (much like this one http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/8553267.htm) and it is MUCH more effective at picking hair off the carpet than a vacuum cleaner. Before I got that I used to make circles on the floor with a brush (dustpan and brush, not hair brush) which worked well but was a lot of effort.

StellaKatherine
March 29th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Ok, the best way to get hair from the carpet is.... to get the brush for dogs! And exactly this one, that has metallic teahs that are bended. You brush your carpet and all the hair will comeout :D It is honestly the best solution ever!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTa8OQg5LvwVAktxg9BMUjNAYiHo_hXn UFsRDe-cKCpDuKCCiMh