PDA

View Full Version : People who never cut their hair

Annalouise
March 28th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I was reading articles today on the Sikh religion and how they never cut their hair.

http://www.realsikhism.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1248364871&ucat=7

http://www.mrsikhnet.com/2009/06/08/your-hair/

I was wondering if anyone here never cuts their hair?

What do you think about this practice of never cutting one's hair?

lapushka
March 28th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Never is a big word... My hair was last trimmed (layered, so didn't lose length) on November 2013. I've been on the no trimming thread for 2014, and now for 2015. Maybe I'll be on the 2016 thread as well. Who knows. It all depends on what length I wish to attain. :)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 28th, 2015, 05:34 PM
I have seen several people on here who never cut their hair for spiritual reasons, however I can't remember who they are... not only do they not trim their hair but they do not S & D either.

Ferryl
March 28th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Diversity is the spice of life and culture diversity is awesome. Pseudo-science is my only issue though (e.g. "On both sides of the legs there are hairs. Those hairs create an electromagnetic field which balances the movement of the pituitary. You shave it and it is your problem; they say it can make you insane"). Just say we do this because of cultural/spiritual reasons. Don't try to use fear mongering.

On a side note, in college we went to a Sikh temple and it was really awesome. We met the sweetest people there and they told us about some of their tenants, like how if they see someone who needs help, they are morally obligated to help that person. I suppose most religions have an emphasis on helping others, but the people we talked to seemed to have a passion regarding it.

embee
March 28th, 2015, 05:43 PM
The last time I cut my hair was the week before I found LHC. That's 2005, and was a fit of insanity if I ever had one.... I'm at terminal. I like fairytale ends. I wear my hair up always. Why should I cut? ;)

Thinkrgrl
March 28th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Thanks for sharing these links Annalouise. Very interesting comments, as well. So everybody has a terminal length for hair growth? And then the hair just doesn't grow any longer.? I think I read somewhere on this site that one woman said her hair didn't grow longer for two years and then it started growing again.

meteor
March 28th, 2015, 05:47 PM
(For Sikhism, the no cutting requirement is called "Kesh" / "Kes" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kesh_%28Sikhism%29) and is part of The Five K's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Five_Ks)

Personally, I do get my hair cut whenever I want, but I like to follow some hair advice from people who don't cut their hair (for example, for religious reasons, e.g. the Sikh), for example, this YouTuber has a few helpful videos, I believe :) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R6q0rSha6o

Seeshami
March 28th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Nothing tells me what to do with my personage. If I feel the need I cut my hair.

The naughty mess says, "I tell you what to do all the time. You're just incapable of being agreeable"

Pretty much.

cathair
March 28th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I was reading articles today on the Sikh religion and how they never cut their hair.

http://www.realsikhism.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1248364871&ucat=7

http://www.mrsikhnet.com/2009/06/08/your-hair/

I was wondering if anyone here never cuts their hair?

What do you think about this practice of never cutting one's hair?

It's interesting they say hair will never touch the floor. Some interesting ideas about shaving too. While I don't think shaving will make you 'insane', I wonder if there is any science behind the claims about the nervous system.

I think never is a really long time. Unless you family is religious, then the chances of a person never having cut their hair as a child, I would imagine are quite low. I think it's natural to want to try different lengths out. Perhaps committing to it once one is an adult is more realistic?

It will be 6 years this summer since I last had a real trim. I think I could go on like this indefinitely, but I don't think I could commit to never cutting.

MINAKO
March 28th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Hair provides vitamin D to the brain and its "protein oil" is essential to support is activity??
I seriously dont get what they are trying tosay about the antenna function.

-____-' Does not make sense at all. I dont wanna disrespect anyones religion, but i believe in science first.
Now personally, i couldnt get away with not cutting my hair ever. My ends would get so tangly at some point that i would rip off more theni usually cut during a trim or s&d.

Ceridwen Iris
March 28th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I have a student at school who has never cut her hair (ie. it has grown since birth). It is only around classic length but she wears it down a lot and it is very fine.
(I know this because I do the hair for our school plays)

spidermom
March 28th, 2015, 09:32 PM
There used to be 2 or 3 very active members who never cut hair, but I haven't seen them around in a long time.

Atira
March 28th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I haven't touched scissors at all to my hair since October 2009.

MeAndTheMaz
March 28th, 2015, 09:49 PM
At the risk of hijacking this thread, if you don't cut your hair for a complete shed cycle, would that count as "never cutting" your hair? It would be pretty much the same thing, wouldn't it?

Hairkay
March 29th, 2015, 03:09 AM
I never had hair cuts as a child. Since my kinkly curly hair is dry and had my BSL down all the time the hair would just break off at the ends. I rarely had hair conditioned. I also had a habit of pulling on my hair and pulling, snapping and biting off all of those split ends I could see. I'd see little inch pieces of hair in little C or O curls on my clothes and on my bed all the time. Now that I've finally started to wear a hair cap at night that has changed.

lapushka
March 29th, 2015, 06:58 AM
At the risk of hijacking this thread, if you don't cut your hair for a complete shed cycle, would that count as "never cutting" your hair? It would be pretty much the same thing, wouldn't it?

I don't think so. One because it would be hard to see whether or not you cut some hairs mid-cycle. And all the hairs on your head have a different cycle - so it's impossible to determine that. If you'd cut, you'd be cutting a lot mid-cycle.

MeAndTheMaz
March 29th, 2015, 07:10 AM
Well, no. What I mean is, if you actually waited till all of your hairs have shed, would that count as never cut? Technically, you won't have cut any of the hair currently on you head (but in reality, no, you can't claim to have never cut).

Panth
March 29th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Well, no. What I mean is, if you actually waited till all of your hairs have shed, would that count as never cut? Technically, you won't have cut any of the hair currently on you head (but in reality, no, you can't claim to have never cut).

The other problem with this is that no one knows what their individual terminal length is (i.e. the length of their anagen cycle). Also, different hairs have different anagen cycles - it's not uniform throughout your whole head.

It's an interesting point of theoretical conjecture but not something that anyone could actually physically do.

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 07:22 AM
I have been checking on this to see how exactly the traditional Sikh bun is tied and apparently traction alopecia is a thing when it comes to this due to positioning so close to the edges. So pulling them antennas out is alright, but cutting is not (?)

A full shed cycle should be possible to calculate in years no? or you could dye the very ends in an obvious color after cutiing it and just wait for them to be all gone, which means they must have fallen out.

Radiant
March 29th, 2015, 07:42 AM
The Amish women also do not believe in ever cutting hair, but some will during their teens while in "rumspringa" when they're allowed to experience some of the outside world. You'll never see the true length of the Amish women's hair though as they always wear it buned and under their covering.

EdG
March 29th, 2015, 07:43 AM

I don't think so. One because it would be hard to see whether or not you cut some hairs mid-cycle. And all the hairs on your head have a different cycle - so it's impossible to determine that. If you'd cut, you'd be cutting a lot mid-cycle.

The other problem with this is that no one knows what their individual terminal length is (i.e. the length of their anagen cycle). Also, different hairs have different anagen cycles - it's not uniform throughout your whole head.

It's an interesting point of theoretical conjecture but not something that anyone could actually physically do.
I think MeAndTheMaz is right.

While the duration of the growth cycle can vary widely, the rate at which hair grows is fairly constant. I have observed that my scalp and beard hairs grow at the same rate (half an inch per month).

I can place a bound on the length of time that my longest strands have been growing, maybe 7 years. By MeAndTheMaz's definition, I have never cut any of the hairs that are presently on my scalp (other than infrequent removal of split ends).
Ed

cathair
March 29th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Well, that's made me think a lot. I suppose it would be like never cutting it, if all of the cut hairs had shed out. Well... end product, not the process. It's not the same as saying I have never cut it, because I would have.

I'm pondering aloud about my own hair here I suppose... it would be different for every head.

I don't know if I could calculate it like that though. I am not confident enough about what my growth rate is, or even if it is the same every month. My hair growth photos were quite inconclusive about that.

My hair is no where near as long as Ed's and I am coming up to six years uncut. However my hair still retains some of the shape of it's original hair cut. So even though it's shorter, I don't think all the hairs have shed out in 6 years. Then trying to account for the ones that have been cut in different parts of the cycle...

Would't it only work if all of your hair had shed out once and then was grown to terminal length? If you could even be sure about what your terminal length is?

Just using that 6 years for arguments sake. I'm not sure I could say I have 6 years worth of growth and I haven't cut for 6 years, therefore I haven't cut any of my current hair. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Maybe after twice that period of time I could feel a bit more confident about it.

I can agree the end result of the hair could be very similar. But I think it would be a nightmare trying to work out when that was actually true.

EdG
March 29th, 2015, 09:37 AM
cathair - The way to reason about this is that individual hairs periodically replace themselves at intervals set by the growth cycle. In my case, this is seven years. So, no hair retains any history for more than seven years. I can truthfully claim that my hairs have never been cut, are 100% vegan, and 100% LHC-cared for, because the history goes back at most seven years.

We see this effect on LHC'ers who are growing out dyes, bangs, layers, etc. After a certain time period, the hair's history stops.
Ed

yogagirl
March 29th, 2015, 09:57 AM
What an interesting proposition. If I assumed my anagen phase to be x years, I'd probably say I've never cut any of my currently present hairs about x+10% or x+20% years after my last cut. The fudge factor in percent would be to account for random marathon hairs that happen to have a slightly longer anagen phase.

Ed, how cool that you've been growing for long enough to be able to say you have never cut the hairs currently present on your scalp! They are truly "virgin hair"! And on top of that, vegan :) :thumbsup: So neat!

endlessly
March 29th, 2015, 10:14 AM
I know I'm definitely not one of those who can qualify for the "never cut their hair club". My mom constantly took me for haircuts when I was younger and at least always every 6-8 weeks to maintain my "bowl-cut/Dorothy Hamill" hair mess. She did this until I was in 2nd grade and I finally couldn't take the bullying from other kids anymore, sad to say! I like cleaning up my ends and trimming every now and again to keep my hair looking healthy and well-kept, so I couldn't even imagine never cutting my hair and how raggedy it would look. That being said, I wish I'd never been introduced to hair coloring when I was younger, though, and that's probably the only thing I wish I'd never done when I came to my hair, but I think for most, haircuts are very important.

cathair
March 29th, 2015, 10:19 AM
cathair - The way to reason about this is that individual hairs periodically replace themselves at intervals set by the growth cycle. In my case, this is seven years. So, no hair retains any history for more than seven years. I can truthfully claim that my hairs have never been cut, are 100% vegan, and 100% LHC-cared for, because the history goes back at most seven years.

We see this effect on LHC'ers who are growing out dyes, bangs, layers, etc. After a certain time period, the hair's history stops.
Ed

I know that they replace themselves, but how did you determine that all of them on your head will have replaced themselves after seven years? Not doubting that is so for you, but genuinely curious how you worked that out. I am assuming that you hair wasn't dyed etc?

Islandgrrl
March 29th, 2015, 10:24 AM
There are a great many hairs on my head that have never been cut, but some have. I'm not at terminal length yet, so I can't calculate my growth phase, but I've been actively growing for about 9 years. I had plenty of maintenance cuts in the earlier years, but the longer it gets the less frequent maintenance is needed. I was trim free last year, and so far this year. No signs of slowed growth or actual fairytailing yet (though I suspect I could be getting close). I'm looking forward to being able to say my hairs have never been cut. My hair is, at this point, 100% LHC grown, though.

leilani
March 29th, 2015, 10:28 AM
I know I'm definitely not one of those who can qualify for the "never cut their hair club". My mom constantly took me for haircuts when I was younger and at least always every 6-8 weeks to maintain my "bowl-cut/Dorothy Hamill" hair mess. She did this until I was in 2nd grade and I finally couldn't take the bullying from other kids anymore, sad to say! I like cleaning up my ends and trimming every now and again to keep my hair looking healthy and well-kept, so I couldn't even imagine never cutting my hair and how raggedy it would look. That being said, I wish I'd never been introduced to hair coloring when I was younger, though, and that's probably the only thing I wish I'd never done when I came to my hair, but I think for most, haircuts are very important.

I also wish I had never been given a bottle of sun-in when I was 11.
Took me 24! Years to get off the cycle.

yogagirl
I'm not Ed, but I could see that, if you had been growing for a long time without trims and you had reached your terminal, the length of your maximum anagen phase would be roughly how long it takes for one hair to grow from scalp to terminal. You could get this number by dividing your hair length by your growth rate (that you have observed before reaching terminal). This would be a rough number of course because both terminal and growth rate can vary hair by hair, by season, by nutrition, etc. Plus this would assume no breakage.

EdG
Ed, how cool that you've been growing for long enough to be able to say you have never cut the hairs currently present on your scalp! They are truly "virgin hair"! And on top of that, vegan :) :thumbsup: So neat!Thanks! :)

I know that they replace themselves, but how did you determine that all of them on your head will have replaced themselves after seven years? Not doubting that is so for you, but genuinely curious how you worked that out. I am assuming that you hair wasn't dyed etc?It is an estimate based on the length of my longest strands and the growth rate that I measured before I reached terminal length. After reaching terminal, it would be necessary to measure growth rate using some kind of marker as you have described.

Several years ago, I measured the length of my longest shed strand at 60 inches. That would put my growth cycle closer to 9 years. Today, I no longer have any strands near that length. :(
Ed

MeAndTheMaz
March 29th, 2015, 11:20 AM
I think there ought to be a couple new clubs here.

One for hair that is 100% LHC grown. Determined by calculating growth rate v. time here, and factoring in trims/cuts. For example, if you've been here for five years and have 24" of hair, you probably qualify. 5*12*.5=30 minus (at least) 6" of trims. If you came here with 24" of hair, and after 5 years you you have 50" of hair, you've probably got some pre-LHC stuff hanging on. Probably a good many members would qualify for this one.

The other one would be for those that can reasonably claim to have 100% never-cut hair. I suspect that would be a very exclusive club.

Anabell
March 29th, 2015, 11:57 AM

Well, I guess it depends on how you define a shed cycle. If by shed cycle you meant to the time that it will take to all the hairs in the head to shed and start over than yes, I think it will be pretty much the same. All the ends will be tapper because they never been cut(I mean, the individual hair end. Not the whole hemline. Although it will probably will take a shape of a fairytail ends) and you will hit terminal length by this time. But unless you have a really short terminal/shed cycle it will take really long time.

Unnamed
March 29th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Would't it only work if all of your hair had shed out once and then was grown to terminal length? If you could even be sure about what your terminal length is?

I don't think it's necessary for *all* of ones hair to shed out (either at once or over the natural growth cycle), but a huge shed might be enough to obliterate any previously-cut hairs. It was for me. I'd say since late 2009 (a good six months into The Massive Shed, during which I lost an estimated 70-80% of my hair), my hair has for certain been uncut in the sense that none of the hair still on my head had ever been cut (beyond S&D, which for me is mainly cutting off fairy knots). By sometime in late 2012 or maybe early 2013, all the pre-LHC hair had shed out.

So it's possible (albeit not fun, and probably doesn't happen often) to end up with 'uncut' hair before reaching (true? real? final? gah) terminal. The shed *did* result in a false/temporary terminal, though. It's now about 6" longer than where it had stalled out then (and has been for a bit), and may (or may not) be at terminal. I have a shorter underlayer from the massive shed--parts of my hair went through a full shed cycle--so even though those sections are close to my hairline, I don't think I can consider my hair at terminal until those hairs reach the ends. If it's currently close to/at terminal, my hair may have a growth cycle of about eight years.

I wouldn't say I'd never cut my hair, though. It's different to have never cut your hair versus having a head full of hairs that have never been cut.

hairhair
March 29th, 2015, 04:18 PM
By MeAndTheMaz's definition, I have never cut any of the hairs that are presently on my scalp
I'm not suggesting anyone try this, but let's say you waxed your scalp, i.e. pulled out all the hairs including the roots, not just shaved it... would that they start all hairs on a new cycle?

ravenreed
March 29th, 2015, 04:32 PM
When both of my sons were born I lost a ridiculous amount of hair due to post postpartum shedding. Like 1/3 to 1/2 of my normal volume, and it was dreadful. I know that those hairs are all on the same growth cycle now because I have an 'anniversary shed' of their births about every 6.5 to 7 years. I lose nearly that much hair all over again. The first couple of times seriously freaked me out. Now I know it is coming and just roll with it.

ETA: I have no idea if waxing would cause the same effect, but I imagine so. My one experience waxing body hair seemed to put them all on a similar growth cycle.

I'm not suggesting anyone try this, but let's say you waxed your scalp, i.e. pulled out all the hairs including the roots, not just shaved it... would that they start all hairs on a new cycle?

butter52
March 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Hair provides vitamin D to the brain and its "protein oil" is essential to support is activity??
I seriously dont get what they are trying tosay about the antenna function.

-____-' Does not make sense at all. I dont wanna disrespect anyones religion, but i believe in science first.
Now personally, i couldnt get away with not cutting my hair ever. My ends would get so tangly at some point that i would rip off more theni usually cut during a trim or s&d.

I think that website is nonsense and is just trying to give totally nonsense pseudosientiphic explanations to the actual religious ritual, but I dont think it has anything to do with the actual religious and spiritual reasons sikhs have.

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I think that website is nonsense and is just trying to give totally nonsense pseudosientiphic explanations to the actual religious ritual, but I dont think it has anything to do with the actual religious and spiritual reasons sikhs have.

Haha, most definitely you are right. It reads like someone flew over a few wikipedia pages and threw all of that together in a very nonsense way.

Nellon
March 29th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Love the comments to the second article:
(quote)"A woman’s hair is supposed to be tied exactly at the solar centers. Why?
Well, she doesn’t have a beard and we never asked why." What if a woman does
have a beard? Or a lot of facial hair? Can you share any thoughts or knowledge
on that please? Can you email me privately on this issue? Thanks!(endquote)

:) It kinda made me giggle!

MINAKO
March 29th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Lol, so are they implying that this is the way for a woman to get her vitamin D, or that she will grow a beard if hair is not tied at the "solar center"? I dont get it.

spidermom
March 29th, 2015, 07:23 PM
All the hairs on my head have received LHC care because I've cut off all the inches that I grew before joining. That's all I can say for sure.

Annalouise
March 29th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Interesting comments.:)

I have a question to those who have not cut their hair for more than 3 years. Do you feel any different than you did when you cut your hair? I mean, in reference to the "antenna's"
the article talks about. Did you experience anything different when you didn't cut for years?

CurlyCap
March 29th, 2015, 11:46 PM
There's a pretty famous sikh woman with PCOS who does not trim her beard or alter her body because of her religious beliefs. She speaks really eloquently about respecting your body as it is made and not how society tells you it should be.

truepeacenik
March 30th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Kour. Belpeet, maybe? She is very well spoken about it.

StellaKatherine
March 30th, 2015, 04:05 AM
It is always been about 3-5 years between my haircuts. Usually I did cut because of family saying that I should, or because I was bored with my hair and didn't really know how to take care of it. I don't think I felt any different by doing that. My intention is grow to classic and then maintain there for a while and get my ends thickened... So if I really do that, this will be the first time in my life that I would be cutting my hair monthly... :D

furnival
March 30th, 2015, 05:02 AM
My sentiments exactly. Preposterous codswallop, bunkum and tripe. :p
It's all very well to do certain things for religious reasons, but to attempt to back them up with nonsensical made-up pseudoscientific hogwash like this demeans any religious reasoning.

...And I'm not going to say anything at all about the claim that the downfall of sexual values is down to women wearing their hair loose, because there is no difference in integrity between a loose-haired woman and a mad dog. :puke:

truepeacenik
April 23rd, 2015, 10:08 AM
This would be equivalent to post chemotherapy hair growth.

Although I'm now curious if waxed scalps would make the equivalent of chemo curls.

mzlbcmami
April 23rd, 2015, 10:19 AM
That would be hard. I can't help it when I see a single split end to not cut it off. I have dedicated my hair to God, but not in an unhealthy way or bondage way. Simply letting it grow and not damaging it witg chemicals. But for sure the split ends got to go.

truepeacenik
April 23rd, 2015, 10:19 AM
Interesting comments.:)

I have a question to those who have not cut their hair for more than 3 years. Do you feel any different than you did when you cut your hair? I mean, in reference to the "antenna's"
the article talks about. Did you experience anything different when you didn't cut for years?

Breaks out the whitelightgirl stick.
Ok. Part of most of my professional jobs has been reading people. Different reasons, same skill.
It requires that I stoke my fires of empathy. As in empathic readings.
S&D doesn't affect my sensing.
Self trimming did, very mildly. I timed it at the beginning of a longer weekend.
Salon cut had me off for weeks until I could reset. This is not counting my own regret. I can compartmentalize.

By contrast, psychedelics barely affected it after landing. Some amplification remained, but the basics were close enough.
I don't get the huge bumps others do. I suspect because I use mine as a matter of daily interaction, I'm not getting a door blown wide open like many do. I also process empathic and psychedelic events repeatedly after the fact.

So, as woowoo as the antennae comparison is, the effect is very real for the individual. (And I suspect, a bad analogy.)

Alun
April 23rd, 2015, 02:31 PM
I joined LHC in 2004. Think I might have had a small trim in 2009, but can't really remember. Have also done S&D, but rarely.

My hair has always been fine, breaks easily, tangles, etc. It's never grown beyond my natural waist, and I actually lost some length recently. I couldn't comb my hair for a whole week, because I was in hospital and they had stuck me with drips in both arms! The resulting tangles caused the damage.

Annalouise
April 23rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
That would be hard. I can't help it when I see a single split end to not cut it off. I have dedicated my hair to God, but not in an unhealthy way or bondage way. Simply letting it grow and not damaging it witg chemicals. But for sure the split ends got to go.

Aww, well that is nice. I'm sure a lot of people feel that the splits have to go.:p

Breaks out the whitelightgirl stick.
Ok. Part of most of my professional jobs has been reading people. Different reasons, same skill.
It requires that I stoke my fires of empathy. As in empathic readings.
S&D doesn't affect my sensing.
Self trimming did, very mildly. I timed it at the beginning of a longer weekend.
Salon cut had me off for weeks until I could reset. This is not counting my own regret. I can compartmentalize.

By contrast, psychedelics barely effected it after landing. Some amplification remained, but the basics were close enough.
I don't get the huge bumps others do. I suspect because I use mine as a matter of daily interaction, I'm not getting a door blown wide open like many do. I also process empathic and psychedelic events repeatedly after the fact.

So, as woowoo as the antennae comparison is, the effect is very real for the individual. (And I suspect, a bad analogy.)

Thank you for sharing your experience. That is interesting that it effects you and that you are empathic. Your second paragraph was not clear to me perhaps you could explain that further I'm intrigued.

I joined LHC in 2004. Think I might have had a small trim in 2009, but can't really remember. Have also done S&D, but rarely.

My hair has always been fine, breaks easily, tangles, etc. It's never grown beyond my natural waist, and I actually lost some length recently. I couldn't comb my hair for a whole week, because I was in hospital and they had stuck me with drips in both arms! The resulting tangles caused the damage.

Ohh, sorry to hear that. I hope you are doing better now. That's great that you can manage your hair without trims (besides the damage the hospital stay did to your hair).
Oh well, at least your doing better health wise.:)

butterflybutton
April 23rd, 2015, 06:36 PM

No it doesn't. the growth cycles will still remain consistent, and some follicles could be damaged. But no it won't change the way your body grows hair.

It would be awesome though, imagine every few months all the hair on your legs all falling out! Smooth legs with no effort.

truepeacenik
April 23rd, 2015, 06:58 PM
Hope you are well on the mend, Alun.

Unicorn
April 24th, 2015, 06:50 AM
Kour. Belpeet, maybe? She is very well spoken about it.

There's another lady, Harnaam Kaur, who seems to be from my corner of the world. I saw her some months ago while popping to the shops. She caught my eye in a crowded area because this beard had very feminine and very pretty features above it and below it! also unlike the Sikh men I'm accustomed to seeing, the beard line lay very low on the cheeks, which caused me to do a double take.

I'd seen her on the internet once, so I did recognise her on my second "take". More power to her/them I say.

Unicorn

calmyogi
July 6th, 2015, 06:13 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has seen their cut layers change after years of not trimming. Does this make sense? Lol. I mean where as the hairs have gone through their natural growth patterns of falling and growing if the shape the hair dresser cut in with the scissors goes away.

The more I type the more I realize the answer is yes lol. Oh well I'll just post anyways to see what you guys have to say :)

lapushka
July 6th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has seen their cut layers change after years of not trimming. Does this make sense? Lol. I mean where as the hairs have gone through their natural growth patterns of falling and growing if the shape the hair dresser cut in with the scissors goes away.

The more I type the more I realize the answer is yes lol. Oh well I'll just post anyways to see what you guys have to say :)

We used the compact cut method for layers (short layers) here, and my main "cut" is still there after not trimming since November 2013. :)

LongCurlyTress
July 6th, 2015, 07:45 AM
My layers are growing out unevenly and totally messed up my hemline. Cut layers myself by leaning forward and brushing hair forward. Used the creaclip and cut maybe 2 inches off the hemline hair in front of me to lighten my thick, heavy hair. I am still growing out the layers and there is still a noticeable 3 inches thinner area at the bottom of my hemline, even though I have trimmed off a couple of hemline inches during the past year in blunt cut style. Oh what a mistake layers were for me! ugh... :/

calmyogi
July 6th, 2015, 04:28 PM
My layers are growing out unevenly and totally messed up my hemline. Cut layers myself by leaning forward and brushing hair forward. Used the creaclip and cut maybe 2 inches off the hemline hair in front of me to lighten my thick, heavy hair. I am still growing out the layers and there is still a noticeable 3 inches thinner area at the bottom of my hemline, even though I have trimmed off a couple of hemline inches during the past year in blunt cut style. Oh what a mistake layers were for me! ugh... :/

I wish I never got layers. All it's done is cause more set backs in my attempt to grow. The hairdressers I go to since I have moved have not been able to immolate the same layers they did on my hair the first time. I'm over having my hair cut. I'm planning on just going for a few years not trimming at all and then just cutting straight across. I have had two hairdressers from two different salons cut uneven layers into my hair now. I'm frustrated with them and just want them to grow out.

meteor
July 6th, 2015, 04:52 PM

When I was growing out layers, yes, they were growing out pretty unevenly but they were clearly growing towards slowly merging with that soft U-V usual shape that I've seen on people who never cut hair (e.g. for religious/cultural reasons).
Layers were a pain to grow out, I'll admit.

I wish I never got layers. All it's done is cause more set backs in my attempt to grow. The hairdressers I go to since I have moved have not been able to immolate the same layers they did on my hair the first time. I'm over having my hair cut. I'm planning on just going for a few years not trimming at all and then just cutting straight across. I have had two hairdressers from two different salons cut uneven layers into my hair now. I'm frustrated with them and just want them to grow out.

I think the fastest way to grow out (while trimming) is to trim ONLY the longest layer (and ignore other layers, no matter their shape). But yeah, it can be hard. And if you can wait, you could wait for all layers to catch up... depending on the length of layers, it can take years, unfortunately. :blossom:

calmyogi
July 6th, 2015, 09:28 PM
Thank you meteor for the sympathy :D. If letting the layers be and only trimming the longest length, if it needs it, is the way to go, I'm probably doing the right thing then on letting it all go until my shortest length is where I want it because the only part of my hair that seems to get splits is the top layers. Funny thing is is hair stylists seem to find it amusing when I have made this observation to them. They don't seem to think that any section of hair is more prone to splits. Their response is that all hair splits.

Ambystoma
July 7th, 2015, 02:09 AM
I grew a steady inch per month until I had my son, when it halved so going by a join date of may 2012 I've grown around 30" of hair since joining LHC - it's currently 40" so there's 10" of pre LHC hair on the ends, and I've trimmed away 16 since joining - I would never have thought to add it up if it wasn't for this thread - it's interesting!

Also creates a new milestone - All LHC hair at Classic!

eira
July 7th, 2015, 02:41 AM
I wish I had the patience to try no trimming for a few years, but I think my split ends and frizziness would drive me crazy eventually. Maybe if I don't dye my hair again so it has a more natural touch it would work.

majesticgoldenr
July 7th, 2015, 11:30 AM
My hair hasnt seen scissors in over 2 years. Its sort of religious, like I wear a head covering, but I also just like it long and so I dont have to worry about it much. I have no plans to ever cut again and for me it is a lot easier anxiety wise. When I was S&D-ing years ago, it triggered a lot of self hate.

lapushka
July 7th, 2015, 01:12 PM
I personally love my layers; and it's only normal for it to thin out towards the ends. I mean, it's layered. I did the compact cut for short layers (pony on forehead) and *looove* it to bits. My longest layer is nearing classic, and the shortest is circling waist, approximately. It's last been cut November 2013, and yes the last bits are thinner, but... hey, at least my hair is not a heavy curtain of... hair. iii at waist got to be too much already, at all one-length, so I had it layered. Best thing I ever did, I think. But now my shortest layer is waist, and I'm having the same "issues" as I had with my hair all one-length at waist, because a portion of my hair is all one-length at waist now. Wash days are no fun. So I'm quite sure... maybe that my end stage is classic, or a tad over it. I might have to have it trimmed at the end of this year (when the no-trimming 2015 challenge is over), but currently still unsure.

meteor
July 7th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Thank you meteor for the sympathy :D. If letting the layers be and only trimming the longest length, if it needs it, is the way to go, I'm probably doing the right thing then on letting it all go until my shortest length is where I want it because the only part of my hair that seems to get splits is the top layers. Funny thing is is hair stylists seem to find it amusing when I have made this observation to them. They don't seem to think that any section of hair is more prone to splits. Their response is that all hair splits.

I had the exact same experience as you (short, top layer ends being most frayed). And my canopy hair is always somewhat drier than the layers underneath (protected).

I definitely agree that all hair can split, but some hair doesn't (or not so quickly and easily). :flower: Some hair is more protected (e.g. hidden in an updo, under hat, etc) or it's just downright stronger, more resilient, more coarse (thicker individual hair strands) than other. And the stronger, less exposed, more protected hair is likely to split less or take more stress before splitting or breaking. :)

calmyogi
July 7th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I had the exact same experience as you (short, top layer ends being most frayed). And my canopy hair is always somewhat drier than the layers underneath (protected).

I definitely agree that all hair can split, but some hair doesn't (or not so quickly and easily). :flower: Some hair is more protected (e.g. hidden in an updo, under hat, etc) or it's just downright stronger, more resilient, more coarse (thicker individual hair strands) than other. And the stronger, less exposed, more protected hair is likely to split less or take more stress before
splitting or breaking. :)

Very true, all hair can split some is just stronger than others. That upper layer is drier than my rest as well. I think it's the exposure part of it that causes my splits to happen more on the layers. I wear braids some times and the layers stick out. I feel like the only thing I can do with my hair for now until the layers get longer is out my hair in a top knot because the shortest players are too short for a low bun to stay snugly wrapped.

calmyogi
July 7th, 2015, 09:51 PM
I personally love my layers; and it's only normal for it to thin out towards the ends. I mean, it's layered. I did the compact cut for short layers (pony on forehead) and *looove* it to bits. My longest layer is nearing classic, and the shortest is circling waist, approximately. It's last been cut November 2013, and yes the last bits are thinner, but... hey, at least my hair is not a heavy curtain of... hair. iii at waist got to be too much already, at all one-length, so I had it layered. Best thing I ever did, I think. But now my shortest layer is waist, and I'm having the same "issues" as I had with my hair all one-length at waist, because a portion of my hair is all one-length at waist now. Wash days are no fun. So I'm quite sure... maybe that my end stage is classic, or a tad over it. I might have to have it trimmed at the end of this year (when the no-trimming 2015 challenge is over), but currently still unsure.

I can see the advantage to them for thick hair.

meteor
July 8th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Very true, all hair can split some is just stronger than others. That upper layer is drier than my rest as well. I think it's the exposure part of it that causes my splits to happen more on the layers. I wear braids some times and the layers stick out. I feel like the only thing I can do with my hair for now until the layers get longer is out my hair in a top knot because the shortest players are too short for a low bun to stay snugly wrapped.

:agree: I definitely agree on the exposure - it makes a visible difference for me, too (lighter, drier, more frayed). All the more reason to protect hair! ;)

And if it's hard to put hair up at this stage, I'd experiment with sectioned buns (also useful for shorter / thicker hair that is hard to gather in one bun): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w
- make a smaller bun from top section of hair (incorporating shorter top layers), then wrap the remaining hair (loose, twisted or braided) around that bun. This technique can create some beautiful-looking styles and gives some variety. :)

calmyogi
July 10th, 2015, 08:19 PM
Thank you meteor, I'll go check out the video right now :)

Halliday
July 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM
i only trim/microtrim my hair myself, i havent gone to a hairdressers in 2 years. i still hate cutting my hair though and only do it twice a year. hairdressers always get it wrong and fry my hair.