PDA

View Full Version : come cringe with me [wella hairstyling video]

bradlea
March 26th, 2015, 01:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6sfDt9Hck8

i admit it looks really cool, but UGH i can't. i had to post this here where i knew people would understand how painful this is to watch. :(

(it's been awhile, hi!)

KittyBird
March 26th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Oww oww oww!!! I thought the fluffy thing was a hairpiece he had attached when I saw the first picture, but it's her own hair! Watching him remove the white thingy made my scalp hurt. shudder: :couch:

bradlea
March 26th, 2015, 01:55 PM
ughhh i know. i was literally watching through my fingers. also as someone who has worked on things like that professionally, i know that usually the model is left to deal with the aftermath of all that nonsense >_< poor girl!

Squiggy
March 26th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Watching him pull that thing off her hair was horrible torture! The look on the model's face clearly said that she was not at all amused with what was happening. **Shudder**

queenanne
March 26th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I have lurked here for years - not even sure I posted an intro or not, but this brought me out of lurkdom to comment. It was horrifying. I have worked so hard to grow out dye and get my hair past my shoulders (BSL now, yay!), if someone tried to come at me with a crochet hook and rug canvas...it would not end well for them. YIKES!

bradlea
March 26th, 2015, 02:02 PM
haha that's funny queenanne, i also rarely post or comment but this video inspired me to share as well! we're all being brought together by the horror

DreamSheep
March 26th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I wonder what her hair looked like after washing, and whether that method would cause a lot of permanent damage (would she need to cut it all short after that?).

I'll say it looks pretty cool, but was also surprised to see the fluff was her own hair >.<
Definitely not for me and my hair, and probably not for many people :p

woodswanderer
March 26th, 2015, 02:06 PM
:brainbleach:I don't think her hair will ever be the same!

slynr
March 26th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Egad!!! That makes me uncomfortable on so many levels
I can't imagine letting someone do that to my hair. I guess I'll skip the "allegra" look.

bradlea
March 26th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I wonder what her hair looked like after washing, and whether that method would cause a lot of permanent damage (would she need to cut it all short after that?).

as long as she was careful with the detangling after, i think it wouldn't cause so much damage that she'd need to cut it. i had dreadlocks for a decent amount of time, and i was able to comb those out and have hair in nice condition after. it did take about a full day of combing though, hahah

kaydana
March 26th, 2015, 02:45 PM

I doubt it caused much damage at all to be honest. Certainly less than back combing. It's not tangled up, just in little loops, all it would need is a bit of conditioner to comb it out.

cathair
March 26th, 2015, 02:57 PM
He bleached it (pre-lightened it) to dye it darker , then blow dried it straight to curl it? Well that makes sense :/

velorutionista
March 26th, 2015, 03:04 PM
that dude just made a latch hook rug out of her hair!??!?!!?!?!? shudder:

MINAKO
March 26th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Oh my lord! I can only dream of ever getting all the tangles out if someone did this to my hair. The modl looked so uncomfortable. already at the beginning when he sectioned the hair she had these subtle twitches. Poor girl! I know how this goes for a model. They pay them like 1k for stuff like that at presentations sometimes, which is nothing to begin with and then you gotta see how to get decent hair again for future jobs.

lapushka
March 26th, 2015, 03:30 PM
I don't think it's that hard to remove. Just cut the mesh, and pull the loops out. Removing a balayage cap is far worse, I think. Same kind of deal where you pull hair through a hole with the back of a rattail comb.

meteor
March 26th, 2015, 03:31 PM
:lol:
Thanks so much for sharing this funny video - I think it was the contrast between the hairstyle and the guy's overall serious pose and the dramatic music and the words he chose that made me giggle. :D

About the style: to be honest, I don't get the aesthetic of it, but I think you can just dye a fur hat or get short wig in matching color, tease/fluff it out like that, and put that on top of your long hair to rock that same look damage-free, if you happen to like it. :)

Islandgrrl
March 26th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Oh Myyyyyyy!

Breanna
March 26th, 2015, 03:48 PM
This is the worst thing I have ever seen........ (but that hair color was pretty)

Daylilly
March 26th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I liked her hair before he did anything too it. I didn't know what he was doing at first and once I realized I was shocked!

endlessly
March 26th, 2015, 04:04 PM
This gave me a headache just watching! I'm hoping that model was paid well for her troubles because I can't even begin to imagine the pain she had to go through to detangle that mess. I would've been curled up in the corner crying with my head in a bucket of conditioner if I was her!

AspenSong
March 26th, 2015, 04:05 PM
http://i62.tinypic.com/dzcv9g.jpg

I get that it's not the MOST damaging thing that could have happened to it, but yeah...No. I've been mildly horrified by some hair stuff I've seen, but I literally watched that one with my jaw agape and a total WTH look on my face.

omidaverde
March 26th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I'm just... *picks jaw up off the floor* ... what was that?! Poor model, wonder if she got work after he got loose on her hair...

Ferryl
March 26th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I think the thing that made me cringe the most was that the model actually had a good length going. When stylists do crazy things with short hair, I'm not disturbed. Short hair can take a lot more damage and takes a lot less time to grow back out. You'd have to pay me a lot more than $1K for a stylist to "do his vision" using my hair. Everyone has a price I suppose. For $100k, I might even let a stylist shave my head.

JellyBene
March 26th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Yeah she probably needed quite a deep conditioning after that... Plus the breakage from the canvas. Though I have to say that's impressively creative

Larki
March 26th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Yikes!!

If that's level 8, maybe my hair is actually level 9? I thought it was 8, but her hair is darker than mine and she's an 8.

butter52
March 26th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Ohhhhh myyyyy gaaaawd
How long did it take the poor model to detangle that huge mess???

molljo
March 26th, 2015, 04:51 PM
I spent the whole thing laughing and cringing (Craughing? Linging?). His voiceover was soo serious. He's an artist, ok. Her poor hair. lol

schnibbles
March 26th, 2015, 05:04 PM
:popcorn:
I personally enjoyed his expression around 8:20 :ohmy:
You can tell he's *trying* to be gentle when removing that contraption.
It totally resembles fur, which is exactly what he was going for, so I give him points for... creativity.

Nadine <3
March 26th, 2015, 05:10 PM
The worst part was it seemed like that canvas was actually stuck to the hair somehow and he was pulling it off...yeah OW...and she had really pretty hair and some nice length going too!

bradlea
March 26th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I spent the whole thing laughing and cringing (Craughing? Linging?). His voiceover was soo serious. He's an artist, ok. Her poor hair. lol

oh my god, i love craughing. it could also be cry laughing, which also applies to how i react to this video

Colochita
March 26th, 2015, 05:44 PM
I've seen some things, but yeah no that was pretty bad. I Always assumed pictures of hairstyles like that used hairpieces.

MINAKO
March 26th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Yikes!!

If that's level 8, maybe my hair is actually level 9? I thought it was 8, but her hair is darker than mine and she's an 8.

The model is a level 8 in my opinion too and you would definitely be in the 9s. Keep in mind that 1-10 refers to natural shades with 10 being the lightest natural blonde, and then theres 11-12 to categorize amplified blonde shades.

Carolyn
March 26th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I thought the final style was hideous. I hope the model was well paid for doing that. I imagine careful detangling and lots of conditioner would save her hair. I hope the had the patience and know how to undo that mess.

Shibe
March 26th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I thought he said level 5? Maybe my hearing is off.

mz_butterfly
March 26th, 2015, 08:17 PM
no no no!

Let me think about this. Weave my hair through plastic mesh, then pull it out. Looking like I am wearing a Russian fur hat at the end. Then heat style my hair making it look like a mullet. Russian fur hat mullet. no thanks. Can you imagine the tangles and breakage?

Lady Mary
March 26th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Reason not to be a hair model #148 :p ;)

teddygirl
March 26th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Wow some people on here are catty... I don't think you'd appreciate people linking your videos to make fun of.
Anyways, I don't think it's that bad. For me? No thank you. But it did look like fur, and it's a very unique/creative idea. I doubt it would be that difficult to remove. I highly doubt it ruined her hair and that she had to cut it short :rolleyes:

bradlea
March 26th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Wow some people on here are catty... I don't think you'd appreciate people linking your videos to make fun of.
Anyways, I don't think it's that bad. For me? No thank you. But it did look like fur, and it's a very unique/creative idea. I doubt it would be that difficult to remove. I highly doubt it ruined her hair and that she had to cut it short :rolleyes:

it's a professional video representing a company, and it is more than fair to critique it. however, the reason i linked it was simply because the damaging aspect of it made my skin crawl, nothing to do with the artistry of the look or the execution. additionally, you realize that this comment is probably more "catty" than what we've been saying? ;]

Nedertane
March 26th, 2015, 09:11 PM
I thought he said level 5? Maybe my hearing is off.

I think he meant that her hair was PREVIOUSLY a level 5, so a light brown beforehand. I thought he said that her color now was level 8 with a gold tone. What confuses me though, is that he mentions dye with 7 in the name. Does that mean he darkened it a bit too? Haha, I admit I'm very curious now, because her hair in the video is close to mine, but a bit lighter and brighter. Except it seems to be all one color, with no highlights or lowlights.

teddygirl
March 26th, 2015, 09:15 PM
it's a professional video representing a company, and it is more than fair to critique it. however, the reason i linked it was simply because the damaging aspect of it made my skin crawl, nothing to do with the artistry of the look or the execution. additionally, you realize that this comment is probably more "catty" than what we've been saying? ;]

Pointing out cattiness =/= catty
You are correct that it's 'fair' to critique it (and really, what on the internet isn't). But some of the comments here a bit over the top IMO. I still disagree that it is that damaging. Not anymore so than the other millions of colour/style vids out there at least.

mz_butterfly
March 26th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Pointing out cattiness =/= catty
You are correct that it's 'fair' to critique it (and really, what on the internet isn't). But some of the comments here a bit over the top IMO. I still disagree that it is that damaging. Not anymore so than the other millions of colour/style vids out there at least.

In general, people on a long hair forum are all about growing out their hair and the only way to grow hair to long lengths is to keep it relatively healthy. When we see hairstyles that are obviously causing damage, we tend to cringe and we're vocal about it. I don't see how he can weave that womans hair through plastic mesh and then rip it out and it NOT damage her hair. Then he went on to heat style it and he colored it prior to making the video.

If that lady wants hair of any length, I hope she doesn't have him as a stylist for too many sessions. Her hair will not survive it. She won't have to cut it short after one solo session, but too many sessions of the kind and she'll be sporting a pixie.

When you have a public video for the masses to view, you can expect to have mixed reactions. I was horrified. I didn't find it creative at all. I found it to be ghastly. Weaving someones hair through plastic mesh and then ripping it out is not my idea of creative, it's more like "what other craziness can we do to hair"? He seems a little sadistic with hair. That is why I rarely go to salons and have been using the same stylist for 30 years. I prefer to have some hair left after a styling session.

teddygirl
March 26th, 2015, 10:06 PM
In general, people on a long hair forum are all about growing out their hair and the only way to grow hair to long lengths is to keep it relatively healthy. When we see hairstyles that are obviously causing damage, we tend to cringe and we're vocal about it. I don't see how he can weave that womans hair through plastic mesh and then rip it out and it NOT damage her hair. Then he went on to heat style it and he colored it prior to making the video.

If that lady wants hair of any length, I hope she doesn't have him as a stylist for too many sessions. He hair will not survive it. She won't have to cut it short after one solo session, but too many sessions of the kind and she'll be sporting a pixie.

When you have a public video for the masses to view, you can expect to have mixed reactions. I was horrified. I didn't find it creative at all. I found it to be ghastly. Weaving someones hair through plastic mesh and then ripping it out is not my idea of creative, it's more like "what other craziness can we do to hair"? He seems a little sadistic with hair. That is why I rarely go to salons and have been using the same stylist for 30 years. I prefer to have some hair left after a styling session.

Ok, I was going to concede a bit until the bolded. That's kind of what I was talking about lol.

mz_butterfly
March 26th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Ok, I was going to concede a bit until the bolded. That's kind of what I was talking about lol.

Out of the whole post, you choose 7 words out of my entire, honest opinion to harp on.

That is MY perception. It may not be yours and that's ok. That doesn't make me "catty" or wrong. When he was ripping that mesh out and they fast forwarded it, I was relieved. My eyes were probably as big as cake plates and I am sure I could have caught a couple of flies with my mouth agape. I was aghast.

spidermom
March 26th, 2015, 10:35 PM
I'd go with a fluffy angora band before I'd let someone do that to my hair. It would probably be prettier, too.

tigress86
March 27th, 2015, 01:50 AM
I have to give credit to the guy for creativity. I don't think it's about haircare at all, it's about hairstyling as "art". I feel sorry for the girl's hair though, I hope she knew what she was getting into. If it was only this one time, her hair will survive.

jackie_brown
March 27th, 2015, 04:01 AM
When I was a teen, home hairdressers used to do highlights with a similar tecnique: they put on my head a silicon cap with tiny holes in it and pulled out strands of hair with a hook... in the end my head was similar to a weeping willow (and i was almost weeping too, because that tecnique really hurts, plus the lady who was turturing me wasn't gentle at all :().
Watching this video make my scalp almost hurt :(

Oh and I don't want to tell you the part when you need to wash out the bleaching... they used to shampoo first the bleached strands and then pull out the silicon cap with all the strands frictioning against the silicon :horse:
How silly I was :whip::doh:

This is what i'm talking about: http://www.kimustore.com/media/catalog/product/cache/5/image/800x800/e5c3f25dbe2a3021345b55270d5894a1/f/l/flashlight_modella_3.jpg

tigress86
March 27th, 2015, 04:17 AM
I have given myself highlights in the past using that kind of cap. Pulling out the strands was easy, but taking the cap off later was pure torture. I can imagine that the girl in the video can feel her hair being pulled the same way or worse.

jackie_brown
March 27th, 2015, 04:28 AM
I have given myself highlights in the past using that kind of cap. Pulling out the strands was easy, but taking the cap off later was pure torture. I can imagine that the girl in the video can feel her hair being pulled the same way or worse.

You did it yourself? :eek:
Now i'm wondering if my past shed was due to this mechanical stress (in addition to school/ex BF/family ones...) :rolleyes:

tigress86
March 27th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Yes, I did it myself once. The highlights turned out beautiful and very natural, but it was frustrating and time-consuming to pull out the strands myself, especially from the back. My daughter did help me a bit there. I can imagine it could be to blame because the crochet needle thingie will pull the strand very close to the scalp.

meteor
March 27th, 2015, 10:49 AM
I have given myself highlights in the past using that kind of cap. Pulling out the strands was easy, but taking the cap off later was pure torture.

I got highlights done this way a couple times years ago. If anybody gets highlights done this way, when you are done, I highly recommend *first* rinsing off all bleach and applying that special conditioner, then using scissors to cut the cap in a couple places where it sits too tight (obviously, ask for help or use a mirror and do it carefully!), this helps slide the cap off much easier. HTH. :flower:

Aleahcim
March 27th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Woah. This video made me a little uncomfortable to watch. My stomic felt like it was sinking as soon as he started waving her hair through the net.

People have compared it to the dye caps for highlights, but I have to imagine this would hurt more because it's gonna be the same section of hair. being looped in and out. I can't see how it was not a painful process, and I hope the model had proper Detangling knowledge. I've seen how people have ripped through their hair for just normal tangles. If she did not know how to deal with tangles like that I could be a potential hair nightmare.

bradlea
March 27th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Woah. This video made me a little uncomfortable to watch. My stomic felt like it was sinking as soon as he started waving her hair through the net.

People have compared it to the dye caps for highlights, but I have to imagine this would hurt more because it's gonna be the same section of hair. being looped in and out. I can't see how it was not a painful process, and I hope the model had proper Detangling knowledge. I've seen how people have ripped through their hair for just normal tangles. If she did not know how to deal with tangles like that I could be a potential hair nightmare.

that's exactly what i was thinking, it's going to end up a lot more tangled because each section isn't being separated from the rest and pulled all the way through.

Shibe
March 27th, 2015, 12:53 PM
I'd really like to add that he was using a small mm crochet hook- if you are a crocheter and own the smaller hooks, you will realize they they are VERY sharp. I would not put the hook ends of those near anything fine like hair strands.

Shibe
March 27th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I think he meant that her hair was PREVIOUSLY a level 5, so a light brown beforehand. I thought he said that her color now was level 8 with a gold tone. What confuses me though, is that he mentions dye with 7 in the name. Does that mean he darkened it a bit too? Haha, I admit I'm very curious now, because her hair in the video is close to mine, but a bit lighter and brighter. Except it seems to be all one color, with no highlights or lowlights.

OH, that is probably it. Her hair looked very light so I was confused about that!

Shibe
March 27th, 2015, 12:55 PM

That word..it doesn't mean what you think it means.

LadyLongLocks
March 27th, 2015, 03:04 PM
It was interesting when he was pulling the hair through the little mesh tape thing. Everyone expresses their art in a different way. This is a unique style so I have to give him credit for that. There was no hair cutting, so one wash and the style will be gone.
It was interesting to watch.High fashion style are interesting.

Funny thing is I used similar tape not long ago to patch a hole in a wall and put the wall compound over it, sanded and painted...

Shibe
March 27th, 2015, 05:10 PM
ohmygosh, I've closed my old account (this is my new one) and I've never seen you post before :O

JJJ sighting :D :thud:

Aspsusa
March 28th, 2015, 02:58 AM
It was interesting when he was pulling the hair through the little mesh tape thing. Everyone expresses their art in a different way. This is a unique style so I have to give him credit for that. There was no hair cutting, so one wash and the style will be gone.
It was interesting to watch.High fashion style are interesting.

Funny thing is I used similar tape not long ago to patch a hole in a wall and put the wall compound over it, sanded and painted...
Yeah, I too thought the mesh-loops was an interesting technique. But for my taste the end result wasn't really worth it - but then I usually never like High Fashion hair.
(All the colouring and the heat-curling was what made me cringe more than the mesh.)

I wonder if this mesh-technique could be used to do just a "fur" fringe?
I haven't had bangs/fringe for 20+ years and sometimes it feels like it would be nice to have some hair covering my forehead. But only for a day or so.

I too have had some (far too gentle IMO) highlights done with a cap some 25+ years ago, but I don't remember any pain at all in getting the cap off, and I'm notoriously sensitive to having my hair pulled in any way. Unfortunately I can't remember what my hairdresser did to make it so painless.

Anabell
March 28th, 2015, 04:55 AM
The thing that most bother me beside the hair abuse was the hair that cover her eyes the whole time. Back in the days when I used to go to the hairdresser it really bother me sitting with all my hair combed in to my face and need to sit there still without the ability move my hair away. But it wasn't as long as she need to be like that- this hair lace thing probably take a several hours. And she need to sit with all the hair in her face like that without moving...

jackie_brown
March 28th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I too thought the mesh-loops was an interesting technique. But for my taste the end result wasn't really worth it - but then I usually never like High Fashion hair.
(All the colouring and the heat-curling was what made me cringe more than the mesh.)

I wonder if this mesh-technique could be used to do just a "fur" fringe?
I haven't had bangs/fringe for 20+ years and sometimes it feels like it would be nice to have some hair covering my forehead. But only for a day or so.

I too have had some (far too gentle IMO) highlights done with a cap some 25+ years ago, but I don't remember any pain at all in getting the cap off, and I'm notoriously sensitive to having my hair pulled in any way. Unfortunately I can't remember what my hairdresser did to make it so painless.

Probably because you're a 1A with fine hair :) so it easily slipped away from the silicon cap holes :confused:
When my hd did highlights on my hair, i had frizzy, dry and previously bleached hair, so it was very painful get it out of my scalp :(