PDA

View Full Version : oils over cones?

Auni
March 25th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I was pondering hair products the other day and a question aroused: Does hair get the benefit of an oil treatment if one uses silicones? I use pantene, and I have used oils on the ends to moisturize them, but, silicones cover the hair, so is your hair actually able to "use" the oil you put on it, or does it just "cover" the hair and float around over the silicones?

endlessly
March 25th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Hmm, that's an excellent question. Based on what I know about silicones and their purpose when it comes to hair, I'd assume that the oils would not be able to fully penetrate the hair since the silicone acts as a barrier, but I suppose it might depend on the type of silicone in your hair products and even the type of oil you're using. I'm sure someone with a scientific background would be able to give you the correct answer, but I'm just working with my own assumptions. I've noticed that since I've gone silicone-free, my hair definitely does a better job absorbing oils and even deep conditioning treatments, so I suppose that's all the evidence I'd need to convince me.

Panth
March 25th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Silcones do not create a completely impermeable barrier. Also, most oils (with the exception of those, such as coconut oil, which contain high levels of lauric acid) do not penetrate the hair and act merely as a surface layer. (Likewise, the oils that do penetrate hair only do so if left on for many hours.)

All in all, no. I don't think 'cones necessarily stop oils from working. However, it's quite possible that your hair/routine may prefer certain ingredients or combinations of ingredients.

Nique1202
March 25th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I'm low porosity so it's not worth a whole lot, but my hair makes as much oil disappear now using a coney conditioner as it ever did when I was cone-free.

Auni
March 25th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Hmm, that's an excellent question. Based on what I know about silicones and their purpose when it comes to hair, I'd assume that the oils would not be able to fully penetrate the hair since the silicone acts as a barrier, but I suppose it might depend on the type of silicone in your hair products and even the type of oil you're using. I'm sure someone with a scientific background would be able to give you the correct answer, but I'm just working with my own assumptions. I've noticed that since I've gone silicone-free, my hair definitely does a better job absorbing oils and even deep conditioning treatments, so I suppose that's all the evidence I'd need to convince me.
We're on the same train of thought here!

Silcones do not create a completely impermeable barrier. Also, most oils (with the exception of those, such as coconut oil, which contain high levels of lauric acid) do not penetrate the hair and act merely as a surface layer. (Likewise, the oils that do penetrate hair only do so if left on for many hours.)

All in all, no. I don't think 'cones necessarily stop oils from working. However, it's quite possible that your hair/routine may prefer certain ingredients or combinations of ingredients.
Thanks! I pretty much stick to the coconut oil since it is the one that is supposedly absorbed.

I'm low porosity so it's not worth a whole lot, but my hair makes as much oil disappear now using a coney conditioner as it ever did when I was cone-free.

I'm low porosity as well, and I only oil after I clairify, condition cone free, and I have to have some warmth to open up those cuticles! But, that said, Your right, the coconut oil is being absorbed, even over my cones. I can tell because it's disappearing, like you said, and improving my hair.:shrug:
I guess cones aren't as impenetrable as I assumed!

brickworld13
March 25th, 2015, 01:39 PM
No they wouldn't be impenetrable. Most silicones originate from petroleum or other oil sources. In the conversion process to silicones they still retain some of their oily characteristics. (Likely why they make hair appear shiny and have nice slip). Like dissolves like, if you will pardon such a simplistic discription of solvent and solute interactions. So yes, you can absorb oils into your hair even through cones. I typically stick with what's already in my kitchen (coconut and olive), but to get the best benefit even when I'm not using cones I have to leave them on for several hours.

eta: silicones are organic molecules and other organic molecules should be able to pass through the gaps. Organic here means carbon containing, and often also oxygen containing. Oils are lipids and the lipids pass into your hair.

Eta2: it's been several years since I had organic chemistry so I'm kind of rusty. I would have to dig out my old textbook for a better explanation.

Auni
March 25th, 2015, 02:03 PM
No they wouldn't be impenetrable. Most silicones originate from petroleum or other oil sources. In the conversion process to silicones they still retain some of their oily characteristics. (Likely why they make hair appear shiny and have nice slip). Like dissolves like, if you will pardon such a simplistic discription of solvent and solute interactions. So yes, you can absorb oils into your hair even through cones. I typically stick with what's already in my kitchen (coconut and olive), but to get the best benefit even when I'm not using cones I have to leave them on for several hours.

eta: silicones are organic molecules and other organic molecules should be able to pass through the gaps. Organic here means carbon containing, and often also oxygen containing. Oils are lipids and the lipids pass into your hair.

Eta2: it's been several years since I had organic chemistry so I'm kind of rusty. I would have to dig out my old textbook for a better explanation.

I totally understand! Thank you, it was great explanation!

lapushka
March 25th, 2015, 03:40 PM
I do oil first, then silicones. I use the rinse-out oil method (everything's in my signature), and then I LOC everything in with silicones when my hair is styled.

Auni
March 25th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I do oil first, then silicones. I use the rinse-out oil method (everything's in my signature), and then I LOC everything in with silicones when my hair is styled.

I just read through your rinse out oil thread and I'm giving it a try tomorrow. Sounds promising!:flower:

lapushka
March 26th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I just read through your rinse out oil thread and I'm giving it a try tomorrow. Sounds promising!:flower:

Hope you like it! Let us know how it goes, okay? Good or bad. :D