PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner not washing out and/or oily hair..?

DeadlyUnicorn
March 24th, 2015, 08:58 PM
So there have been times where I don't get all the condition rinsed out of my hair and it's usually by my ears if it happens.. I had a shower last night and went to bed while my hair was still wet. I braided it, and when I woke up it seemed like I still had conditioner near my ears so I hopped in the shower to rinse my hair. Now that it's finally dried it seems even worse. I normally use a different shampoo and conditioner but this time I tried redken. It's in a gold bottle if that helps, I don't know the exact type it is but I could go look. Could it be the redken that made my hair this way? I've never had it do this.

MINAKO
March 24th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Hmm, maybe you could try to control the amount of conditioner better by dilluting it with water before you apply. I would normally just suggest to rinse longer, but if ypu say i still didnt come out then thats what it is maybe, a conditioner heavy enough to leave some residue intended for very dry and unruly hairtypes. Either way, you will find out if its useable in smaller doeses or not suitable to your needs at all.

ETA: you could also try to apply it just from the chin down to the ends of course.

gthlvrmx
March 24th, 2015, 09:09 PM
It sounds like you need to focus on scrubbing your hair and scalp with your finger-pads. I read on some old LHC post about CO washing and it said that if you are using conditioner, you really need to scrub it more to get it out. The rule was to lather it in for 5 minutes (and time yourself somehow) and then when you are rinsing it out, do it for at least 5 minutes. That should get the conditioner out.

MINAKO
March 24th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Oh wait, this was a CO wash or a Shampoo/Conditioner wash? Im confuzzled now! :confused:

gthlvrmx
March 24th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Oh wait, this was a CO wash or a Shampoo/Conditioner wash? Im confuzzled now! :confused:

I think it's a Shampoo/Conditioner wash but I'm sure the same rules apply when you use conditioner at any time. Conditioner is a little harder to rinse out than shampoo so you'll have to scrub a little more and rinse longer.

DeadlyUnicorn
March 24th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Shampoo and conditioner sorry. :) I like to put a very small, light amount on my head after I use shampoo. Then I put a lot on the rest of my hair. I'm just puzzled to why it's WORSE after I rinsed it :x I've considered doing conditioner only but I'm not sure yet, I'm still new to all these different techniques and this is just what I've been doing for forever. I believe the conditioner is for dry brittle hair, or something along those lines.

MINAKO
March 24th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Indeed strange that it felt like more residue afte rinsing again. Maybe your conditioner dosnt react well with you water hardness (in case you have hard water in your area) or something. next time i would try not applying it above the chin and maybe do a mildlyacidic rinse as a final step. Either ACV or ascorbic acid.

meteor
March 24th, 2015, 09:49 PM
I often have issues rinsing out conditioner completely, especially when the formula thick, so I simply don't apply it above shoulders. I think it's OK to leave a bit of conditioner behind, but for scalp that would be problematic, so yes, I'd recommend focusing conditioner on length and ends.
MINAKO's recommendation to dilute it with water is a great one, too - it does make it easier to apply evenly and to rinse out later.

DeadlyUnicorn
March 24th, 2015, 09:58 PM
We do have hard water. The length of my hair feels fine, pretty nice actually, so ya'll are probably right. Thanks for your replies and if anyone else has anymore suggestions feel free to respond :)

endlessly
March 24th, 2015, 09:58 PM
I've had this issue with conditioner in the past where you scrub and scrub, but it just will not rinse out and then you're left with that awful sticky residue feeling on your scalp. In my experience, the conditioner was always too full of silicones and I'd typically have to wash my hair the next day (if I could even stand to wait that long) with a really strong, clarifying shampoo. Then, I'd have to over-condition my hair after that to help with the dryness, so it was always an endless circle. Once I cut out silicones, I didn't have that problem anymore - unless I put in too much oil accidentally, then that's another issue.

If you still want to continue to use that particular product, just try to avoid letting it touch your scalp and just focus on your ends instead. And, if you absolutely have to put conditioner on your scalp, try to use the tiniest amount possible - less than pea size would probably be ideal - then make sure you rinse really well.

spidermom
March 24th, 2015, 10:42 PM
I have to keep conditioner away from my scalp. Another option is to condition first, rinse, then wash with diluted shampoo, rinse again. I do this when it's hot and I'm sweating a lot. Otherwise my hair goes limp and flat.

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I'm not much of a rule follower when it comes to shampoo and conditioner, so my thoughts on this may be totally wrong.

I apply conditioner just to my length, below the ears. Then, with whatever minimal residue is left on my hands, I work my hands through the hair above my ears. So that hair is just getting the tiniest little bit of conditioner. I rinse upside down - for a couple of reasons. I can *see* when all the conditioner is out of my hair, and I get pretty nice lift at the roots (nothing to do with conditioner). I never seem to have issues with conditioner staying in my hair. I will mention that it takes a pretty long time to get all the conditioner out - our water is pretty soft.

hananabread
March 25th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Some conditioners that I have used act like you have described. I don't seem to have an issue if I wash it out with warm water. I usually switch from these after a few uses because I prefer to rinse cold. This could be different with your hair/water/conditioner of course!

DeadlyUnicorn
March 25th, 2015, 08:05 PM
I'm not much of a rule follower when it comes to shampoo and conditioner, so my thoughts on this may be totally wrong.

I apply conditioner just to my length, below the ears. Then, with whatever minimal residue is left on my hands, I work my hands through the hair above my ears. So that hair is just getting the tiniest little bit of conditioner. I rinse upside down - for a couple of reasons. I can *see* when all the conditioner is out of my hair, and I get pretty nice lift at the roots (nothing to do with conditioner). I never seem to have issues with conditioner staying in my hair. I will mention that it takes a pretty long time to get all the conditioner out - our water is pretty soft.

That's exactly how I do my hair :) Minus rinsing upside down. That does seem like it would work better.

Remi
March 26th, 2015, 05:53 AM
That used to happen to me with a few select conditioners I don't use them any more, but I found that if I rinsed for a long time with warm water first, then changed to the final rinse with cool water, it felt much cleaner and softer. I have never had a problem with the Redkin (in the gold bottle) in fact, it is one of the better ones that always works. :)

evalina
March 27th, 2015, 01:49 AM
Never had the issue before I started to use AO White Camellia Conditioner. Think it's a bit more rich then what I used before.
Rinsing longer, scrubbing a bit and only applying to the length is my way to deal with that problem. I don't care about slightly oily length after washing, usually my hair absorbs it and eventually the next it's normal again. If not, doesn't matter I wear buns most of the time.