PDA

View Full Version : scalp equavalent of 5 o'clock shadow

Arctic
March 24th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I'm seeing some new growth all over my scalp. I also noticed an interesting "shadow" around my hairline, at the front, sides, and back. It's hard to explain in any other way that with the word "shadow" - think the infamous 5 o'clock shadow of men's shaved beards.

My theory is, that there is lot of new hairs coming through the scalp, and it makes the skin look shadowy untill they emerge.

I tried to google this phemonenon, but didn't get almost any hits.

Has anyone experienced the shadow phenomena when they had lot of new growth? Or for some other reasons? I'm curious. I am also nervous if it's indicating something bad. I try to not to get excited yet with the new growth, but it's definitely there!

meteor
March 24th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Yay! Congratulations on the new growth, Arctic! :joy: That's always awesome news! :happydance: Is that the result of the scalp EOs you've been using?

I wish I knew what's going on with the "shadow", but I don't have any personal experience with this one, and to be honest, I'm having trouble picturing it. If it's not worrisome for privacy reasons, could you maybe take a picture of it or maybe just link us to some random photo on the Internet that would show it?

I want to say it's new growth related, but I'm not 100% sure. Does it feel like light fuzz/soft fluff? Does it look like tiny new growth under magnifying glass? That would definitely point to it being new growth! :applause
(I'm pretty sure and I hope it's not some sort of darkening from some EOs, like a minor burn or irritation... It doesn't feel irritated at all, right?)

Arctic
March 24th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks! I'm happy too, but try to keep calm :D

I think this is a natural re-growth from my long shed I had last autumn and winter, plus perhaps the caffeine rinses (which are colourless) I've been doing for a month or so have also helped. I just started the essential oils and massages, so the new growth can't be from those. And the "shadow" appeared before I used essential oils on scalp.

I seem to have baby hairs of 1 cm to 2,5 cm (1 inch) lengths all over, they stick up at the top and grow more along the scalp at the sides and back, but I can feel there is these baby hairs too with my fingers. The hairline where the shadow is, there isn't as much new hairs but it does seem like these areas might be growing thicker too. When I look the hairline really closely, it looks like the follicles would be darker, but it's not dirt or blackheads :D And looking from little more distance, the skin looks darker and as if blurred and shadowy.

Oh, and my scalp feels great, no irritation, itching or anything, it's in good condition! :joy:

I'll have to see if I have a picture that shows it; if not, I can try to capture it.

meteor
March 24th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I seem to have baby hairs of 1 cm to 2,5 cm (1 inch) lengths all over, they stick up at the top and grow more along the scalp at the sides and back, but I can feel there is these baby hairs too with my fingers. The hairline where the shadow is, there isn't as much new hairs but it does seem like these areas might be growing thicker too. When I look the hairline really closely, it looks like the follicles would be darker, but it's not dirt or blackheads :D And looking from little more distance, the skin looks darker and as if blurred and shadowy.

Yessss! :joy: That sounds like new growth! Of course, from a good distance it would look like some darkness/shadow. But if on close inspection, you see those baby hairs, you hit jackpot! :happydance:
I'd recommend babying those hairs and making sure to be gentle with your scalp and hair: new regrowth is often really fine and fragile at first and then it grows in more robust with time. :)

Arctic
March 24th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Thanks meteor of being happy with me!

Yeah, there definitely is lot of new growth, and I hope the shadow areas grow out some more too :D

Here's a recent photo which shows the shadows at the side and at the nape:

[photo removed]

The shadow is only in the area where hair grows, and not, for example on my face. Quite frankly it might look like it's dirt, but it isn't; I shampoo almost daily, and haven't changed my routines other than started the caffeine rinses (colourless) month ago and just recently the aloe gel + essential oil scalp massages (also colourless).

lapushka
March 24th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Just continue what it is you're doing right, whatever it is. That's awesome news on the new growth! :D

Arctic
March 24th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Thanks Lapushka! I was a bit unsure whether to continue the caffeine rinses because at first they didn't seem to do anything to me. Now that there is visible new growth, I think I'll continue them, as I haven't noticed anything harmful from them either! And the scalp massages are very relaxing, I used to do them, and was lovely to re-start them!

I'm also trying to remember to take my supplements and eat better! :)

Beborani
March 24th, 2015, 01:48 PM
I have learnt to recognize new follicles on my scalp. I need magnifying lens or mirror to see them up close--Or take closeup pictures with macro setting and then zoom in some more on the screen.

Arctic
March 24th, 2015, 02:08 PM
That's a good idea, Beborani, I'll have to take some better macros than I already have.

meteor
March 24th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Yay! Arctic, I think the photo confirms it! :D Looks like quite a lot of new regrowth! :joy:
Oh and by the way, great job keeping all the records of which products you used when! :thumbsup: It really helps to pin down what works. ;)

Arctic
March 24th, 2015, 04:10 PM
That would be wonderful, Meteor! It's easy to see babyhairs on those areas where older hairs are long, but the hairline hairs are always shorter and it's very difficult to say if there is new growth. But logically, if there is elsewhere on scalp, then there should be at the hairline too.

I'm curious to see what happens to the shadows with time, as the hairs grow. I have a feeling there are hairs that haven't yet come to the surface which causes the shadow effect.

I'll be updating this thread sometime in the future, and tell what happened to the shadows and the new hairs :) I am still trying not to get too excited :)

ETA: Oh yes, I forgot to say, that I've always tried to keep tabs on my hair care and experiments, I type most of the info in my blog and/or specific threads. It's been very helpful many times!

Five of Five
March 24th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Congratulations on the new growth, Arctic! I'm looking forwards to seeing the results :o

DKSABS
March 24th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Wow, congratulations!!! Wish my hair would start growing again in the really thin areas. Way to go!

Luminaria
March 25th, 2015, 07:58 AM
It is very fine new growth, so it makes it appear as a "shadow." My hairline looked similar to that.

hanne jensen
March 25th, 2015, 09:06 AM
In about 2 weeks it will feel plush. Like a buzz cut. I've had this happen to me after a massive shed. Be happy that you're getting a lot of new hairs in. In about a month you'll have a HUGE canopy. Don't curse it, rejoice!

truepeacenik
March 25th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Reading the Op, I was wondering about hair color.
As you now know, that is new growth, and the fact that is seems so solid is very good news.

Arctic
March 25th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Congratulations on the new growth, Arctic! I'm looking forwards to seeing the results :o

Wow, congratulations!!! Wish my hair would start growing again in the really thin areas. Way to go!

It is very fine new growth, so it makes it appear as a "shadow." My hairline looked similar to that.

In about 2 weeks it will feel plush. Like a buzz cut. I've had this happen to me after a massive shed. Be happy that you're getting a lot of new hairs in. In about a month you'll have a HUGE canopy. Don't curse it, rejoice!

Reading the Op, I was wondering about hair color.
As you now know, that is new growth, and the fact that is seems so solid is very good news.

Thanks all! I'm very reliefed to hear others have experienced this phenomena too! I am very excited to see how the new hairs will come out and play! I will update this thread!

Truepeacenik my hair is medium brown (some pople here say it's light brown, but to me it's medium :D) and I have very pale skin. The baby hairs at the hairline in general tend to be finer and lighter, often almost colourless, than my hairs with longer terminal length.