PDA

View Full Version : Unsure about having my hair trimmed...

endlessly
March 24th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I have always trimmed my hair myself when needed after having one too many terrible hair cuts (or hack jobs, depending how you look at it). So, for the past 4 years, I've been trying to grow out some particularly bad and uneven layers just so my hair is finally at one length again, but no matter how much I trim, I just can't seem to get my hair even. Recently, I cut off about 8 inches, took off most of the remaining layers, but I still have a few bits that are shorter than the rest and while they aren't glaringly obvious to anyone else, they are to me. I don't want to keep cutting and make the problem worse, but I'm also incredibly apprehensive about having a professional hair stylist anywhere near my hair.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Eastbound&Down
March 24th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How much shorter are the other layers? I would say do some small monthly trims and try it that way. However, if you don't think you can go that long without it driving you nuts, try to find a good stylist and make sure they know what you want before you even sit down. My friend has sometimes even let them know she wouldn't pay them if they didn't do what she asks haha

Arctic
March 24th, 2015, 11:17 AM
You will probably need to section your hair into thinner sections, because your hair is so thick. Like a hairdresser would do it. It's much easier to trim that way. I usually section my hair too, even though it's on the thinner side of ii.

Have you normally used the Feye's method? I think it could be used with sectioning too.

MINAKO
March 24th, 2015, 11:18 AM
If you want it perfectly even and nothing else, why not ask a skilled friend to help you out? Maybe you could use a crea clip which makes it even easier to get a very sharp line.

veryhairyfairy
March 24th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I've read that barbers will do straight across small trims without all the rigmarole of most stylists. That'll be my route if I ever decide to have someone else cut my hair.

Sectioning to cut yourself is also a great suggestion. That's what my mom always did when cutting my hair and it definitely makes it easier to cut thick hair. (I don't need to section for my self trims because my ends are very thin right now, but I'll be doing that when they get thick enough to warrant it.)

Seeshami
March 24th, 2015, 11:49 AM
I second a barber. Muffin's barber when we went there use to tease me when I was growing from chin the mid back about getting it cut but as soon as it got long in his eyes when I walked in he'd point to the door and say I am not cutting your hair. If I asked for a trim he'd do it, probably less then what I asked for. My cousins are the same but they are also my cousins One specialized in male hair care and the other has always told me to keep it longer and begrudgingly cut it short when I asked.

spidermom
March 24th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Be careful; what you seek may not be achievable. Some areas of your hair will never grow as long as the area with the longest potential. In particular, I've seen a lot of mention of hair around temples and ears seeming to have a shorter length potential than hair in the back. Also, a head of hair will always have lots of different lengths because of the shed and regrow cycle. You're never going to get it all completely evened out.

lapushka
March 24th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Microtrimming might be the solution. Go slow, in any case. After those last 8 inches, you don't want to keep cutting huge chunks off.

endlessly
March 26th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks everyone!

I tried to trim it myself again, but since I have such limited movement in my back, I still was having a lot of issues. Long story short, I decided to go in and have it trimmed just to be on the safe side. She ended up taking off anywhere from 1/4 of an inch to 2 inches in some places and surprisingly, there were still some sections with the butchered layers from several years ago. My hair is now officially one length and I'm glad I had someone else do it!