PDA

View Full Version : Need Help for "Sudden" Damage Please!!

Clarkie
March 22nd, 2015, 07:12 PM
Ok, a little background. I haven't had a haircut in a little over a year. My current routine is CO wash about every 5 to 7 days. I "plop" my hair to dry it, I don't use any heat whatsoever and haven't in nearly a year. I use Wen as a leave in conditioner on my ends and oil my ends several times a week using Orofluido and/or Nightblooming salves.
My longest layer is about and inch and a half from waist length.
I inspect my ends regularly and although my hair is layered (to my great frustration) I haven't seen any white spots or splits.......until today. WTH??? The vast majority of the damage seems to be in the shortest layers around my face which are mid-chest length.

The last few weeks I've been playing around with overnight heatless curl methods and wearing my hair down or in a half up a couple of days a week but I bun my hair when I'm home and sleep with a high bun as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to cut, especially on the shortest layers but I will if I have to.

Please help ladies and gents. I value your opinions.

MINAKO
March 22nd, 2015, 07:19 PM
There is no such thing as sudden damage if you havent done anything harsh to your hair. It accumulates until it shows and you eventually notice it one fine day. No need to freak out. Just up your S&D and/or get a small trimm and then lay off the things that could have contributed to that sort of damage, namely the manipulation of heatless curling methods and probably wearing it down too often. In times like this i would always advise to slow down any kind of mechanical action and wear simple and comfortable buns. Apart from that theres not much you can do but also deep condition a few times more than you normally would to prevent new damage and preserve the strength of your ends

lapushka
March 22nd, 2015, 07:30 PM
No esp. white dots aren't "sudden" damage, unless you did high heat recently, that is. I'd S&D those dots out. That's all.

meteor
March 22nd, 2015, 07:32 PM
So sorry to hear that, Clarkie! :grouphug: This really sucks, especially when you didn't do anything wrong and treated your hair very well!

Is there a chance that brutal Ontario winter (Wasn't it supposed to be the coldest February on record :bigeyes: ?) did a number on your hair? :hmm: It could be just a coincidence, but my own hair tends to suffer a lot from dry cold winters and central heating, and I always imagine that others probably suffer from it, too.

Another potential suspect: maybe wearing hair down or in half-ups and those curling methods were a bit too aggressive for you? For example, some long-hairs can't do any headband curling or pin curls at all. Torrinpaige had to cut out some hair from (properly done!) pin curls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV6DIWc0qj4

Either way, I'd keep hair in very low-manipulation updos (whatever has always worked for you) and I'd keep it well-oiled and avoid excessive detangling, brushing, washing and other grooming. Just let it be, but keep it moisturized (maybe SMTs, oils and serums, if your hair does well with those). Also, I'd get a silk/satin (or any smooth) pillowcase or sleep cap and I'd carefully examine all hair tools - make sure you don't use snaggy plastic ones (they can cause damage over time), but use a seamless wide-tooth wooden/horn comb instead.
And in case you happen to have any old damage (chemical, mechanical, heat), you might want to consider a hydrolyzed protein treatment followed by an intense moisturizing one.

MINAKO
March 22nd, 2015, 07:46 PM
As much as i love Torrin, i think shes a good example. I sometimes think that trying out all these things because she has that Youtube obligation to do so isnt good for her hair. I mean its gorgeous, but even she had incidents where heatless curling did lead to damage and tears. Its not all harmless just because there aint any electronics involved. Manipulation leads to mechanical damage, slowly but steady. Thats why i dont braid or do heatless curls, neither do i wear my hair out on a normal day when im busy running around. skipping all these chances to damage my hair does wellallow me to straighten it if i really want to make the best out of it on a particular day.

Clarkie
March 23rd, 2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies.:blossom: I did a deep conditioning treatment last night and feel a bit better. I think the combination of the harsh cold winter and me messing around with heatless curls was too much. I'm going to S&D those white dots out and then stick to my trusty LWB for a while.

Nique1202
March 23rd, 2015, 04:18 PM
Yeah, on some of Torrin's older vlogs she even acknowledges that all the things she does to it (manipulating it for styles all the time, wearing it down, blow drying it even just twice a month) mean that she does have to sacrifice some length potential because of the damage. She'd get to classic and her ends would look ratty and thin and damaged, and she'd have to cut back to tailbone where the damage wasn't visible yet. She's gained some healthy-looking length more recently, but her lifestyle and the way she wants to wear and style her hair means accumulating damage that way, and she's found a balance she can live with.

No matter what you do to it, hair accumulates damage as it grows because the length we see is dead and can't repair itself. If you used heat until a year ago, then hair that's more than a year old at the ends will have accumulated damage from that heat styling. You can patch it up with silicones and treatments to some degree, but we all have to choose a level of damage that we can live with, and it all becomes visible sooner or later.

Clarkie I hope that once your white dots are snipped out, your hair looks and feels a lot healthier, and that the changes you've made more recently mean that the same scare won't happen for a long time. :pray:

MINAKO
March 23rd, 2015, 04:25 PM
Nique, you are totally right. Its kid of like you can pik your poison and learn to live wih it, for soe its mechanical damage, for me it is heat. I love my hair straight, so i would rather compromise some of its length then wearing it differently. That of course gos for other styling techniques as well.

meteor
March 23rd, 2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies.:blossom: I did a deep conditioning treatment last night and feel a bit better. I think the combination of the harsh cold winter and me messing around with heatless curls was too much. I'm going to S&D those white dots out and then stick to my trusty LWB for a while.

Clarkie, I'm so happy it's already feeling better! :happydance: I sure hope this breakage will stop very soon and the hair will feel better! :pray:

Apart from all the TLC, oiling, SMT, protein treatments (if there is breakage), deep conditioners with ceramides, I'd also consider applying some protective serum to the ends regularly. For example, I'd recommend looking into this PEC technology to help slow down the development of split ends. I can't vouch from personal experience, but I had friends reporting back that it helped reduce their breakage and split ends quite a bit.
PEC consists of negatively charged ion (PVM/MA copolymer) and a positively charged ion (Polyquaternium-28 ) - this combination of positive and negative charges creates a single complex with the ability to stick to damaged hairs and to itself.
http://thebeautybrains.com/2012/02/01/hair-repair-new-technology-really-works/
(Joico, Nexxus, Tresemme and other brands have products with this technology.)