PDA

View Full Version : Static driving me crazy! Please help!

Jeno86
March 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Last November, my husband and I went to the coast and enjoyed the ocean for a few days. While there, our hair was amazing, more waves than normal, a bit more volume and it felt moisturized. Once we came back home, my hair freaked out. I live in Colorado so the change from the coast to here is very drastic. I've always had a problem with static but nothing like this. If I brush my hair, it puffs up more than it has ever done and then clings to my face and neck. If I touch it, same thing. I have tried everything I can think of to stop it but nothing is working. I use a BBB, a wide-toothed wooden comb, oil, extra conditioner, herbal rinses. I'm wondering if changing my shampoo and conditioner will help. I can't wear it down at all. If anyone can think of anything I should try, please let me know. Thank you.

Vanilla
March 22nd, 2015, 03:54 PM
I battle static from time to time, and the only thing that helps me is a few drops of mineral oil (baby oil) on damp hair. You can spray your hair down with a mister bottle to dampen it, and then spread the mineral oil over your hair.

Stellaaa
March 22nd, 2015, 04:18 PM
I haven't used it for while, but when I was working with computers (as in, inside computers, so static was a big NO NO) I swore by Finnesse conditioner (yes, very coney, sorry, but it works). Not the color-treated or moisturizing version, only the regular Finnesse and LOTS of it. I have never found anything, other than copious spraying of Static Guard on my hair and brush and clothes, that would allow me to wear my hair down in winter. Also, cotton clothing only, no wool or synthetics. Lots of moisturizer on your skin, too, helps stop the charge from building up.

meteor
March 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM
A few solutions:

- running a dryer sheet over hair when it's static-y;

- spraying hair with water and oiling it, or using leave-in conditioner or silicone serum;

- avoiding plastic combs/brushes (use wood/horn instead) and avoiding static-inducing clothing;

- keeping hair bunned or otherwise contained;

- moisturizing and conditioning it more (focus on occlusives: oils, silicones, even waxes...).

Nadine <3
March 22nd, 2015, 04:47 PM
I dampen mine and use an oil or coney serum on it and then I bun or braid it. Fixes it right up!

butter52
March 22nd, 2015, 04:58 PM
Have you changed your shoes, slippers or coats, or even carpets and floors?

Jeno86
March 23rd, 2015, 08:35 AM
Have you changed your shoes, slippers or coats, or even carpets and floors?

I haven't. Though most of my clothing is cotton so I would assume it shouldn't gather as much static as it does.

Panth
March 23rd, 2015, 12:22 PM
Do you use 'cones? If not, or if you only use light ones, consider adding more.

Consider more updos / containment systems. ;)

Detangle by fingercombing or using a wooden/bone comb rather than plastic.

Consider cutting out / minimising BBB. (They always cause massive static for me, even if I go by the book and follow each brush-stroke with a static-dissipating stroke with my other hand.)

synchrostatic
March 24th, 2015, 02:37 AM
I totally have been feeling the frizz here lately as well. I'll have to try this as well, since last night I felt like I was suffocating in hair.

Is there a type of 'cone less prone to build up than others? I don't like to use sulfates too often since they dry out my scalp.

Seeshami
March 24th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I spray his highness with monster spray when he's being the devil. Its essential oil, glycern and water. Yes my lazy self bought it, and no I dont feel like making it. Could and can are not should and did. :p

Hallo! From NoCo btw.

Panth
March 25th, 2015, 02:21 AM
I totally have been feeling the frizz here lately as well. I'll have to try this as well, since last night I felt like I was suffocating in hair.

Is there a type of 'cone less prone to build up than others? I don't like to use sulfates too often since they dry out my scalp.

Yup, there are masses of 'cone options.

There are "regular" 'cones (e.g. dimethicone) that take stronger surfactants to easily remove. However, that doesn't have to mean sulphates - cocoamidopropyl betaine (a much gentler, much less irritating non-sulphate surfactant) will remove all 'cones.

There are anti-build-up 'cones (e.g. amodimethicone) which are not technically water soluble. However, they are formulated so that they only stick to hair, not to 'cones, so you won't get layers and layers and layers of them building up on your hair.

There are water-soluble 'cones (e.g. PEG-'cones), which rinse out over time just with water and so won't build up.

There are 'cones (e.g. cyclomethicone), which evaporate and so won't build up.

There's a pretty good list here (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html). Note that ingredients named 'hydrolysed wheat protein something something something' are 'cones but 'hydrolysed wheat protein' on its own is not.

Stellaaa
March 25th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Finesse, I'm tellin' ya, it works.
You can always clarify when the weather changes

velorutionista
March 25th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I find a shea butter based leave in takes care of all my static problems in the winter, just slap a good sized amount in on damp hair after washing.

gwenalyn
March 26th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I recently went camping, and let me tell you, sleeping bags are the worst for causing static. In my experience, the cleaner the hair, the worse the static--so putting oils on would seem to make sense, though I'm lazy so I just don't wash my hair when camping and after a few days things are a lot easier. Also, french/dutch braids keep the hair out of the way really well.

When I was younger and my hair was even finer than it is now, the static drove me crazy. Those invisible strands of hair tickling the skin on your face and neck and shoulders--itchy, itchy, itchy. It's awful. I wish you luck!

donnanoble
April 9th, 2015, 11:04 AM
I haven't tried myself yet, anyone out there try witch hazel and essential oil? I've tried it on static skirts only, so far. Brief google search, it looks safe. Not sure what it might do to products already in hair, but when my hair is static next, might give it a try.

swearnsue
April 9th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I have to have humidifiers running all the time because of low humidity causing static. Humidity yesterday was 5%.