PDA

View Full Version : Do looped ponytails cause damage?

diddiedaisy
March 22nd, 2015, 03:50 AM
Hi all, I just wondered if looped ponytails cause damage? I ask as at the back middle of my hair my hair is noticeably thinner at the bottom 3-4 inches.

I wear ear my hair up almost everyday in this style for a few reasons. Firstly, I have zero skills at updo styling, secondly , I don't suit hair just scraped back and need some height on the top of my head.

I never do it tight though and am growing out a severe shed.

So, could this mysterious inverted v be my updo or something else? And if it is my updo can anyone suggest a different one that would give me height on the top? Thanks

Arachnid
March 22nd, 2015, 04:11 AM
I used this style from as soon as I could tie my hair back until it was an inch or so past APL (about a year and a half) at which point it was long enough to put into a simple bun with a hair stick or steel U-pins (amish pins if you buy them online). I never noticed any damage using silicone hair band though I did have to be care full taking them out as sometimes, especially when it was past APL, my hair would wrap around the band.
Just because I didn't get damage doesn't mean that isn't what is causing yours. What kind of hair band are you using? The area where you have the thinning do your ends look snapped/ stretched or more damaged than the rest of your hair? if they do it might be a sign that they were broken through mechanical damage rather than having thinned from naturally shed from the root.

not sure how much sense my rambling made but I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Nique1202
March 22nd, 2015, 04:17 AM
Anywhere that your hair comes into contact with an elastic band is going to get damaged over time. Updos take practice to get the hang of, and if your profile is right about your hair length (apl-mbl) then you're just getting to the part where they're do-able for you, so "zero skills at updo styling" could have owed to your length as much as to lack of practice.

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcSaBWbBYug) shows four quick, pretty, and easy buns that you can start practicing (one or two might be out of reach for you still) and I also found that I could do this bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iViNkltTb9Y) pretty early on, even with my thicker hair.

As for height on top, have you tried not parting your hair on top? I find that this gives me a little more actual volume and the appearance of a LOT more volume on top, because there's less or no visible scalp. I also found that having a full fringe (bangs that go all the way across my eyebrows) helps to give the illusion of volume on top, but I realize that not everyone likes going that route.

Nemain
March 22nd, 2015, 05:18 AM
I always read and hear about how those things are evil. My hair used to be in a looped ponytail often a few years ago, and I don't remember any damage, but if I try it nowadays (BCL hair) it just turns into a huge dreadlock, which surely isn't very good.

As far as volume goes, maybe this could help, and it could be incorporated into buns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Oi2iIvQgw

Arctic
March 22nd, 2015, 05:22 AM
Yes they can. In fact any style, when worn repeatedly, in same spot, with same method (elastics in this case) can cause damage. That particular style isn't really protecting the hair at all.

Updos aren't all difficult to make, and on this day of millions of video and other tutorials I bet you can learn several.

I do disagree on Niguel1202 on one point: updos/braids/hairstyles are very much possible on shorter than APL-BSL hair. It's my pet peeve to see members here say that. To prove this wrong, I have been collecting styles for shoulder length hair in my blog. I am positive, that even people with much thicker hair (than mine) can do several different styles with modifications and creativity!

lapushka
March 22nd, 2015, 05:57 AM
Maybe consider switching it out for a peacock twist with a claw clip. I wore this style all the way from shoulder/APL (around that length) until waist/hip, by then I could wear a bun. I am TBL+ now and have no white dots or splits. Claws are pretty safe, elastics maybe not *so* much, if you're going to wear the style for a long long time!

schnibbles
March 22nd, 2015, 06:02 AM
What about if you do the looped pony with a silk scrunchie instead of an elastic? (I have been known to occasionally, and I don't see any ill effects. But I do it low at the nape, not high...)

Nique1202
March 22nd, 2015, 06:30 AM
I do disagree on Nique1202 on one point: updos/braids/hairstyles are very much possible on shorter than APL-BSL hair. It's my pet peeve to see members here say that. To prove this wrong, I have been collecting styles for shoulder length hair in my blog. I am positive, that even people with much thicker hair (than mine) can do several different styles with modifications and creativity!

Well, it depends on thickness and on slipperiness. If hair is thinner but more slippery, it can still be a hassle to get into an braid, let alone a bun. Twin French and Dutch braids are definitely possible around chin/shoulder, single French/Dutch braids somewhere between shoulder and APL, but they take a lot of work when you're not used to doing them regularly. Slipperiness is also a huge factor in securing braids: when I do a single French braid, I start the crossovers at my front hairline, and in an hour the first crossovers are at or below my crown and my shoulder-length front layers are falling out of them.

At shoulder, most hair textures don't seem to have enough hair to secure most buns with just a stick/ficcare unless they're worn right up on top of the head or on the crown, and then there's the bits by the nape sticking out unless you want to pin all the hair up smoothly. By APL, all the hair growing at the nape will generally stay in a ponytail or bun done on the back of the head even if it's a little slippery, though the particular styles of buns might still be limited by thickness and slipperiness. I've seen a lot of people start doing the common buns (lazy wrap/nautilus, cinnabun without extra pins, disc bun, etc.) securely around apl/mbl, which is why I said that's where most of the fun buns open up as possibilities.

diddiedaisy
March 22nd, 2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys. I'm using a soft thin stretchy band with no seams. My hair doesn't get caught in them and I'm careful when I take it out. I also have bangs. I think I'm just going to have keep practising up dos. I think one of the problems is that even though I'm nearly bsl, after cbl my hair is very thin and compactable. I can make a bun the size of a golf ball. He he

I'll try another kind of updo for another and see if I notice a difference, hmmm now to find some I can do.

meteor
March 22nd, 2015, 12:28 PM
Some great ideas on this thread!

I definitely second the Peacock Twist, it's so easy and low-manipulation. Also, you might enjoy doing French Twists and Gibson Tucks. Those styles can only be done until a certain length, and they tend to be sorely missed when the hair gets too long for them.

If you want to bun your hair, but it doesn't yet fit one bun (due to length and thickness), you can always do double/triple buns or sectioned buns.
I would suggest something like Regency buns - they are beautiful, protective and easy to do on shorter hair.
Example 1 (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VivMjITTb0Y/TcTs_hITQ3I/AAAAAAAAAEg/otccK-Yezgg/s1600/DSCN3875.JPG) (braided bun with low accent braids)
Example 2 (https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUAdiIbZjn32Yc0zx1e7kRsi0H5INnm KOZZ6505tuHR6cx_F5y) (cinnabun with accent twists)
Example 3 (https://locksofelegance.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dscn5020.jpg)
Example 4 (http://s3.weddbook.com/t4/2/1/1/2116968/making-braid-with-half-hair-bun.jpg)
Example 5 (http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af129/little_acorn/Untitled-1.jpg)

diddiedaisy
March 23rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
Meteor great buns, they are very pretty. Unfortunately I don't have enough hair for them, I think my hair would need to be to my ankles. When I said my buns were golf ball size I wasnt kidding!!!!!!

Marika
March 23rd, 2015, 09:58 AM
I used to wear ponytails a lot (every other day) and my hair started to have that A shape (longer sides and shorter/thinner middle). I also suggest a some kind of a twist with claw clips to hold your hair up if it's not long enough for proper buns. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with golf ball sized buns! I promise, your buns will get bigger! I know mine did!:D And no more A shape.

meteor
March 23rd, 2015, 11:12 AM
^ I agree with Marika!
Also, peacock twists do look big (especially if you curl your ends) and French twists and Gibson tucks don't even work or look tidy on hair that's too thick/big/long... And anyway, nothing wrong with small buns! They look very elegant, sophisticated and ballerina-like! :D

Arctic
March 23rd, 2015, 11:30 AM
And anyway, nothing wrong with small buns! They look very elegant, sophisticated and ballerina-like! :D

This, Meteor, is what makes you so cool person! Your genuine appreciation of all hairtypes, and the positive encouragement to fellow members! :inlove:

slynr
March 23rd, 2015, 11:35 AM
Meteor great buns, they are very pretty. Unfortunately I don't have enough hair for them, I think my hair would need to be to my ankles. When I said my buns were golf ball size I wasnt kidding!!!!!!

Don't worry about small buns. They are beautiful too:) Some hair types will never have those gigantic buns and that's ok:) Work and love what you have and your hair will reward you!

meteor
March 23rd, 2015, 12:05 PM
Oh Arctic, you are so kind! :smooch: You yourself are super-cool and I'm so happy you've returned to the LHC, because your posts are very informative, detailed and super-helpful! :flowers:

Chromis
March 23rd, 2015, 12:22 PM
I found all ponytail styles gave me damage, no matter how soft the tie.

There are lots of threads about increasing lift in the front, but I would urge you to think instead updos being "scraped back" look to "sleek". Scraped back sounds pretty horrid, but I quite enjoy my sleek styles.

I will also echo the suggestion of French twists, peacock twists, and Gibson tucks. All are very classy styles that are great for shorter or lower volume hair. The Gibson works well with doing little twists in front or lace braids if you still want some lift.

meteor
March 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
Don't worry about small buns. They are beautiful too:) Some hair types will never have those gigantic buns and that's ok:) Work and love what you have and your hair will reward you!

Exactly! I wish people weren't self-conscious about size. And gigantic buns tend to rarely look like what they were intended to look like, anyway. You can't show much intricate detail or dexterity there, unless you have some mad bunning skillz.

If the size really bothers you, I know I recommend braided buns all the time :oops: , but they do work really well to both compact thick hair but also to spread out thinner hair, especially if one braids loosely or can fluff/spread it out a bit.
You could look into different kinds of crown braids, milkmaid braids, Vortex bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FI21DjNp6c), and the braided beehive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8or_RC6wM). They can be done on shorter hair and they really look big and spread out the hair in a way that's voluminous but also very hair-friendly and very secure.

But well-done buns are absolutely BEAUTIFUL at any size! :applause

Arctic
March 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
Oh Arctic, you are so kind! :smooch: You yourself are super-cool and I'm so happy you've returned to the LHC, because your posts are very informative, detailed and super-helpful! :flowers:

Oh my, thank you! :blushing:

diddiedaisy
March 24th, 2015, 02:12 AM
Thankyou for the small bun support :)

Upon reflection I do think my pony is causing this problem. I think my shed did have a part to play as I lost a lot of hair in the nape area. I have been practising a french pleat which should be very simple to do.....humph. I shall continue to endeavour ;)

MINAKO
March 24th, 2015, 02:15 PM
When my hair was too short for a bun i wore looped ponys every single day and its not given me any noticeable damage that a normal ponytail wouldnt. Unfortunately my hair got to the point where it is so heavy that any style with an elstic either is too loose and falls out, or is tight enough and therefore pulls out hair. I decided to avoid them completely for this reason.