PDA

View Full Version : Weeping Scalp

BusyBeeMommy
March 20th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Sounds gross, right? A little background.

I live with really hard water. It's been murder on my ends and scalp. Issues with dandruff and splitting like crazy. So I decided to try washing and conditioning and the rising my hair with a diluted vinegar solution (with bottled water) and a second (cold) rinse with bottled water. That's been going great. I was able stretch washes and not end up a greasy itchy mess. I also purchased a tangle teaser to replace my old brush. Was having some dandruff issues so I picked up my bottle of head and shoulders from my boyfriend house. Used it a few days ago without issue. Last night I washed my hair (with suave shampoo and conditioner I've used before), but was in a rush so I didn't get a chance to do my normal rinse routine.

This morning I woke up with this weeping patch of scalp near the crown of my head. The fluid is clear and had no smell, but is sticky to touch. I can't really see the spot myself, but the area is reddish looking.

Any idea what this could be? I'm thinking about washing my hair again today and making sure to do my rinse to see if it goes away.

missblueeyes
March 20th, 2015, 06:26 AM
I really don't want to demonise a particular product but I've heard of a lot of cases where Head and Shoulders only made the dandruff situation worse after improving slightly for a while. My suggestion would be to proceed with your usual routine, which sounded like it worked. I can't help you with your scalp problems but you might want to head over to the seborrheic dermatitis thread and see if your symptoms are similar. If everything fails, consult a doctor.

Isilme
March 20th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Dandruff is a fungus, are you sure you're not having just a dry scalp? H&S won't help dry skin.

lapushka
March 20th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Go see a doctor, please.

BusyBeeMommy
March 20th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I think I figured it out, thanks to my sister. When I described what happened, she said it sounds like blisters when they pop (the clear fluid) I'm thinking chemical burn/reaction. It's no longer weeping and seems to have scabbed over, so I'm gonna be gentle with it and keep an eye on it. Oh and throwing out that shampoo lol

I will definitely head to the doctor if it's not healing up in a few days or starts getting bad again.

Nadine <3
March 20th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Go see a doctor, please.

Absolutely this! your situation is not something I would mess with, that weeping area could become infected if not treated properly.

Fericera
March 20th, 2015, 01:18 PM
You sister was probably right about it being a bad reaction. Just keep your scalp clean while it heals and wash over that area gently.