PDA

View Full Version : Had to trim

nakima
March 19th, 2015, 06:01 PM
It seems that as soon as I reached Tailbone My hair started splitting and breaking something awful! so I have been S&Ding a lot lately along with micro trims.Today I just went ahead and took off about an inch and I think it may need more. I have not done a good trim in quite a few years. Do you think I should just take the plunge and trim back to hips or give it until fall when I should reach tailbone again. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! ha! it looks good otherwise. I made a mistake and colored it in Jan. I think I'm ready to go grey now. It's not worth the damage.

Remi
March 19th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Well, trimming all the way to hip might be too much. (but it's up to you) Could you try a microtrim once a month? That usually works for me and some others here on the forum. That way your ends can thicken up and still keep growing. Tailbone is hard for some because of brushing against chairs and such unless it's worn up all the time for protection. Wish you luck!

hannabiss
March 19th, 2015, 07:07 PM
meh i say do what youd like. If you have been trimming but feel it needs more then do more. Itll grow and in stead of slowly waiting for the ends to feel fresh they feel fresh right away. but as always the choice is yours.

vega
March 19th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Trimming isn't a negative, I think it healthy to maintain hair after all with neglect it usually results in alot more hair having to be cut off

endlessly
March 19th, 2015, 07:38 PM
If your hair feels healthier now after trimming an inch, then I would say there isn't the need for you to trim it any shorter unless you're noticing more damage on your ends. Trimming hair frequently is sometimes necessary when it comes to growing longer, stronger, healthier hair - so certainly don't feel bad about needing to do it. The benefit of making several small trims is that you don't have to make the decision to have a huge cut and lose quite a bit of length later on.

lapushka
March 20th, 2015, 08:56 AM
If your hair feels healthier now after trimming an inch, then I would say there isn't the need for you to trim it any shorter unless you're noticing more damage on your ends.

This. ^^ You already took an inch. Assess and re-evaluate. :)

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Well, you already took an inch. If it feels okay and you've eliminated the damaged ends, leave it alone for a while. See how you feel about it in a month, do a microtrim and then re-evaluate things. That's what I would do.

nakima
March 20th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Thank you all so much for the advice. I think I will let it go another month and see where it's at and micro trim when needed. I think I freaked out because I had finally made my goal to tbl and then had to trim back :( kinda bummed me out. I really didnt want to go all the way back to hips because it seems like such a long journey for me to get to tbl from there ha! I think I will do as suggested and wear hair up more often as well. Once again thanks so much everyone!

Remi
March 20th, 2015, 04:57 PM
You're welcome! Glad all the advice worked for you, keep us updated!

ositarosita
March 20th, 2015, 05:03 PM
You could just take off 1cm every month, that way you remove damage and gain length. Then when you reach tailbone just maintain

omidaverde
March 20th, 2015, 05:39 PM
I was about ready to trim my hair when I decided to give coconut oil a whirl on the ends...I now look like I've had a hair cut, but minus the scissors. If you think the inch isn't enough then I would really recommend doing this before you make the decision to cut again! Best wishes :)

nakima
March 20th, 2015, 05:43 PM
Yes I will keep you updated and ositarosita I will try the one cm for a while. That sounds good because my hair is getting thinner and I think that will help to thicken it up as others have said and keep those ends healthy! Has anyone else had this problem when reaching these longer lengths? Just curious :)

nakima
March 20th, 2015, 05:45 PM
omidaverde, Did you oil your ends every day?

nakima
March 20th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Good advice! Thank you!

AmberJewel
March 20th, 2015, 08:24 PM
I'm having the same problem, nakima. Now that I've hit BCL it seems like there is an amazing number of split ends popping up. I keep doing S&D, but I think I'm going to have to trim again. I just can't keep up with all the splits. I wear it up almost constantly and braid for sleep... maybe it's just time for a trim. Unfortunately I need new scissors since mom "borrowed" them for cutting duct tape and then loaned them to my dad for cutting sandpaper strips! Lesson learned: keep hair scissor hidden.

nakima
March 21st, 2015, 01:11 PM
I'm having the same problem, nakima. Now that I've hit BCL it seems like there is an amazing number of split ends popping up. I keep doing S&D, but I think I'm going to have to trim again. I just can't keep up with all the splits. I wear it up almost constantly and braid for sleep... maybe it's just time for a trim. Unfortunately I need new scissors since mom "borrowed" them for cutting duct tape and then loaned them to my dad for cutting sandpaper strips! Lesson learned: keep hair scissor hidden.

I hadnt trimmed my hair for a very long time also, so there must be something to that because all of a sudden it was just awful, splits everywhere! but that inch off did seem to help and your right about keeping the scissors hidden from others you never know what they'll use them for ha! I wear my hair up when home and at night but I think I"ll heed the advice of others and try wearing it up more often for awhile and oil the ends. hopefully it will all turn around and I can get back to growing :)

swearnsue
March 21st, 2015, 01:53 PM
...Unfortunately I need new scissors since mom "borrowed" them for cutting duct tape and then loaned them to my dad for cutting sandpaper strips! Lesson learned: keep hair scissor hidden.

Reading that really made me cringe! But funny too because it's such an awful thing to do to hair scissors!

nakima
March 24th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Reading that really made me cringe! But funny too because it's such an awful thing to do to hair scissors!

Yes I agree lol!