PDA

View Full Version : Fairytale ending questions

Lavendersugar
March 19th, 2015, 05:25 PM
I found this archived thread http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=56238
it was mostly helpful but still have a few questions. Not sure if they can even be answered but here goes:

*About how long after stopping cuts will someone know if they will have a fairytale ending?
I realize this is based off of personal growth but wondering if there might be a general time frame. A year?

*Can you maintain a certain length and keep the fairytail ending?
My guess is no unless it is cut back into a v which is not really the same. I was thinking it might mean cutting off the ending then letting it grow back.

*Any hair tips from those with happy fairytail endings to help maintain the ends?
I have zero clue if mine will do it. I have not cut in almost 6 months but it is clear my hair grows pretty even. I have gained about 4 inches in that time and it has not needed a dusting until recently.

I'm a long way from my goal but nothing wrong with a little pre-planning. ;)

lapushka
March 19th, 2015, 05:32 PM
I think whether or not hair starts to fairytale is something *very* individual, and also when it happens. And yes, judging from a few posters here, you can go years with fairytale endings... years!

spidermom
March 19th, 2015, 05:35 PM
I think nearly everybody will end up with some form of fairytail ends if they grow without trimming or only do S&D (cut off individual splits).

cathair
March 19th, 2015, 06:00 PM
I think looking back through pictures at some point I realised, my ends got thinner before they fairytailed. I think it took multiple years. I think 5.5 years after having my last cut, even though they are fairy tailed the over all shape still (vaguely) resembles that of the original cut. That surprises me sometimes.

I agree with you about a V not being the same. I think fairy tails are more like individual clumps of hair each tapering than an overall taper. That is my opinion of course. S&D probably will help (I do). But you won't be able to stop at a certain length with that, it will keep going. Which may not be a bad thing :)

I think the ideal balance is probably not having massive amounts of taper over all, so it doesn't look thin. But still having some taper to the very end each clump.

I am unsure if it can be maintained. I'm curious to see how that will work out when I do start maintaining. I think it would depend how much they have fairy tailed. If each clump tapers in quite an extreme way, if you cut a few inches off in a straight line, there would still be taper in each clump. It just wouldn't be as pointed at the end. I don't know how long it would take to get the point back. If there was less clump taper and you cut it, they would obviously all be chopped off.

You could have a look at Quahatundightu's hair in the Microtriming and Maintaining thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468

She has been trimming her fairy tails for a while now. It probably shows what I mean because we have similar hair, we both have/had quite extreme fairy tailing so it's quite easy to see. Her's has been gradually thickening up nicely.

Lavendersugar
March 20th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I think whether or not hair starts to fairytale is something *very* individual, and also when it happens. And yes, judging from a few posters here, you can go years with fairytale endings... years!
As you can tell I'm a bit of a dreamer so years with it sounds good to me!

I think nearly everybody will end up with some form of fairytail ends if they grow without trimming or only do S&D (cut off individual splits).
I might do that after my next dusting/micro trim. I've been lucky enough to never have split issues even before when I had long hair abused it. Of course then it just was greatly abused and very dry. But that was many moons ago.

I think looking back through pictures at some point I realised, my ends got thinner before they fairytailed. I think it took multiple years. I think 5.5 years after having my last cut, even though they are fairy tailed the over all shape still (vaguely) resembles that of the original cut. That surprises me sometimes.

I agree with you about a V not being the same. I think fairy tails are more like individual clumps of hair each tapering than an overall taper. That is my opinion of course. S&D probably will help (I do). But you won't be able to stop at a certain length with that, it will keep going. Which may not be a bad thing :)

I think the ideal balance is probably not having massive amounts of taper over all, so it doesn't look thin. But still having some taper to the very end each clump.

I am unsure if it can be maintained. I'm curious to see how that will work out when I do start maintaining. I think it would depend how much they have fairy tailed. If each clump tapers in quite an extreme way, if you cut a few inches off in a straight line, there would still be taper in each clump. It just wouldn't be as pointed at the end. I don't know how long it would take to get the point back. If there was less clump taper and you cut it, they would obviously all be chopped off.

You could have a look at Quahatundightu's hair in the Microtriming and Maintaining thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468

She has been trimming her fairy tails for a while now. It probably shows what I mean because we have similar hair, we both have/had quite extreme fairy tailing so it's quite easy to see. Her's has been gradually thickening up nicely.

Thank you for the link and your detailed reply! It really helped! As much as I'd love a natural wispy v fairytail ending if It didn't work out I would be just fine with a blunt.
Wow 5.5 yrs is a long time but that makes more sense than my thinking of a year.

lunalocks
March 20th, 2015, 11:53 AM
2 years for me of no trims and just S and D. But I think everyone is different. Some never trim for years and still have a decent even hemline. Why not just try it and see how it looks in a year?

Sharysa
March 20th, 2015, 01:43 PM
*About how long after stopping cuts will someone know if they will have a fairytale ending?

*Can you maintain a certain length and keep the fairytail ending?

*Any hair tips from those with happy fairytail endings to help maintain the ends?

1) Fairy-tale ends can often mean a V or U shape to your hemline, but if you can spot the individual locks/clumps of hair, I consider that to be fairy-tale ends even with a straight-across hemline. Obviously, the clumping is more evident on wavy and curly hair, but I've seen straight hair with lovely fairy-tale ends.

2) You most certainly can! You know how most people who search-and-destroy their split ends advise to go easy on the ends in case you thin them out too much? For maintaining fairy-tale ends, razing the last couple of inches helps a lot with making the locks clump together, and it's a nice midway point between intentional layers and fairy-tale ends.

3) Lots of search-and-destroy after trimming your hemline back.

My hair tends to grow blunt in terms of hemline shape, but thanks to my waves, it takes to fairy-tale ends VERY easily.

Lavendersugar
March 20th, 2015, 10:15 PM
2 years for me of no trims and just S and D. But I think everyone is different. Some never trim for years and still have a decent even hemline. Why not just try it and see how it looks in a year?

I am almost 5/6 months with no trim. Might as well go for the year. It is maintiaining the straight blunt even with just over 4 inches of growth since the cut in September/October. Not sure now which month.

Looking at kid pics I had a v. Mom never cut my hair until I was in school and a kid cut it.

1) Fairy-tale ends can often mean a V or U shape to your hemline, but if you can spot the individual locks/clumps of hair, I consider that to be fairy-tale ends even with a straight-across hemline. Obviously, the clumping is more evident on wavy and curly hair, but I've seen straight hair with lovely fairy-tale ends.

2) You most certainly can! You know how most people who search-and-destroy their split ends advise to go easy on the ends in case you thin them out too much? For maintaining fairy-tale ends, razing the last couple of inches helps a lot with making the locks clump together, and it's a nice midway point between intentional layers and fairy-tale ends.

3) Lots of search-and-destroy after trimming your hemline back.

My hair tends to grow blunt in terms of hemline shape, but thanks to my waves, it takes to fairy-tale ends VERY easily.

I wish I could find a pic. This gal I saw on Instagram pic had hair to her knees and beautiful ends. Straight hair.

Never had a split issue luckily. I do get dry tips that tangle into tiny knots. Drives me knots.

Oh love wavy mermaid ends!!! So pretty! I noticed a good bit of ladies have that look here. Lovely!