PDA

View Full Version : Oil for fine hair??

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 19th, 2015, 02:49 PM
My hair is waist length and fine. It is not really damaged as I don't do much heat styling or processing. I wash my hair w/good products every other day because I tend to have oily roots. However, the ends of my hair are dry.

I noticed that some of the ladies on here have mentioned oiling the ends of their hair. How should I do this with fine hair without my hair ends getting ratty and gross looking? Which products do you recommend?

**Another question: Does the rinse-out oil method help prevent split ends? I don't do too much that would damage my hair, and I use good products, but I still get split ends... even with trims. What's up with that?

lapushka
March 19th, 2015, 03:09 PM
You could try the rinse-out oil method. The link is in my signature. It consists of using a tiny amount of oil after shampooing, putting it in your hair and then rinsing it out. Just 10 drops of your favorite oil is enough (mineral oil is what I use). Then you use your rinse-out conditioner. Then after that your styling products (leave-in and such) if you do that.

sourgrl
March 19th, 2015, 03:20 PM
I am a big fan of the oil rinsing method lapushka mentioned. Of the oils I've tried (olive, coconut, mineral oil) I prefer the mineral oil. That said I'll be trying avocado oil with this method tonight.

As a leave in oil I love plain argan oil. It is pricey but a little goes a long way. I use 6 drops (3 drops per half of my hair) on my length from the ears down. I use it everyday. A 4oz bottle last me over a year

Orange Queen
March 19th, 2015, 04:30 PM
The rinsing out method for me too.
I have super fine hair, and really have to put in the tiniest bit of oil. So far for me coconut oil works the best.

Remi
March 19th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I hope you try lapushka's method, I really like using it that way.

elvenelk
March 19th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Jojoba oil is really light. but I currently use argan. Its pretty amazing. I use it on my skin as moisturiser then wipe the remainder on the tips of the hair every day.

Nadine <3
March 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Another vote for trying out the rinse out oil method! I've used 1/4 a cup of coconut oil and didn't have greasy hair at all and mine is usually very easily weighted down. I love this method!

Otherwise, if my hair does get dry I spritz a bit of water on my dry ends and then put coconut oil or something over the top and then tuck it into a bun.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 19th, 2015, 09:17 PM
Thank you ladies!! I literally just went to the store and bought a bottle of pure, organic Argan Oil. I also have a bottle of Mythic Oil (have you tried?) sitting in my cabinet gathering dust. Going to do a little experimenting.

Both of my products come in pump form, not a dropper. Roughly how much should I be aiming for for waist length, fine, straight-ish hair?

Five of Five
March 19th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Your hair is beautiful in your avatar, oOoAMANDAoOo!

I also have very fine hair, and I find mineral oil to be the best. It doesn't weigh it down as much as other oils, and leaves no sticky residue (which can cause tangles in fine hair)! I only use a couple of drops every wash on damp hair, and it makes detangling a breeze until I wash it off again.

Larki
March 19th, 2015, 09:21 PM
I use argan and coconut oil as leave-ins. I find that 3 or 4 drops is enough for me (or a nail-sized scrape for coconut oil, which is solid). As for the pump bottles, I'd start with one pump and go from there. More or less as needed. You'll be able to tell if it's making your hair too greasy.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 19th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Your hair is beautiful in your avatar, oOoAMANDAoOo!

I also have very fine hair, and I find mineral oil to be the best. It doesn't weigh it down as much as other oils, and leaves no sticky residue (which can cause tangles in fine hair)! I only use a couple of drops every wash on damp hair, and it makes detangling a breeze until I wash it off again.

Thank you so much! I just tried Argan Oil. I'm reading a lot of input about Mineral Oil. May have to give that one a try also.

lapushka
March 20th, 2015, 08:50 AM
Both of my products come in pump form, not a dropper. Roughly how much should I be aiming for for waist length, fine, straight-ish hair?

Try using one pump first, and see what that does. If that doesn't do much, then next time do two pumps. Go slow!

MINAKO
March 20th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Seriously, i think regardless of the thickness, any oil can be a hit or miss. To avoid overoiling its really just a matter of getting the application right. When i wear my hair straight i like to be really careful. So i rub the oil in the palms of my hands and then rub them over the surface of my BBB, then use that to brush the lengths and ends. This way its almost impossible to have stringy spots anywhere.
As for personal favorites, i like Avocado, Sesame, Argan and Hempseed best. Especially Sesame is highly umderestimated in my opinion. I do use Coconut and Castor too, but very sparingly.

animetor7
March 20th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I like Coconut oil, I use a bit on the ends whenever they feel dry, and a heavier oiling before washing.

DweamGoiL
March 20th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Seriously, i think regardless of the thickness, any oil can be a hit or miss. To avoid overoiling its really just a matter of getting the application right. When i wear my hair straight i like to be really careful. So i rub the oil in the palms of my hands and then rub them over the surface of my BBB, then use that to brush the lengths and ends. This way its almost impossible to have stringy spots anywhere.
As for personal favorites, i like Avocado, Sesame, Argan and Hempseed best. Especially Sesame is highly umderestimated in my opinion. I do use Coconut and Castor too, but very sparingly.

I mainly use Monoi (fractioned and infused coconut oil) as a leave in when I wash my hair. Other than that, I don't use oil anymore because my hair just gets totally limp. I do agree with MINAKO that Sesame Oil is highly underrated. I love that it's so light and does not weigh my hair down although it does have a strong scent.

MINAKO
March 20th, 2015, 09:59 AM
I mainly use Monoi (fractioned and infused coconut oil) as a leave in when I wash my hair. Other than that, I don't use oil anymore because my hair just gets totally limp. I do agree with MINAKO that Sesame Oil is highly underrated. I love that it's so light and does not weigh my hair down although it does have a strong scent.

I have not used Monoi yet, just different types of standard coconut oil. All of them make my hair very shiny and give a good amount of firmness, not crunchy tho as some people expirience it.
As for Sesame its often a big difference between brands how strong the scent is, i have found a cold pressed one that i can identify as what it is in the bottle, but the smell doesnt linger in my hair. Usually i would say the lighter the color of a cold pressed one the less its going to smell, at all costs stay away from anything roasted.

gwenalyn
March 20th, 2015, 02:17 PM
I also have fine hair, and I just use coconut oil. Aside from a few over-oiling incidents when I first started, it's been working well for me. The ends don't get stringy/clumpy or anything, and if they do, a braid or ponytail hides it just fine.

Really, people's results from different oils/oiling methods seems so individual and unpredictable--you don't know until you try.

yahirwaO.o
March 22nd, 2015, 03:14 PM
Really, people's results from different oils/oiling methods seems so individual and unpredictable--you don't know until you try.

This!!!! Me for example cant deal with coconut oil or mono near my hair...... Jojoba is the winner for me, its very light and easy to rinse out and makes my hair incredibly shiny.
Olive oil and castor oil are great too.

One or two little drops are perfect with my very prone stringy clump hair.

roseomalley
March 22nd, 2015, 08:32 PM
I have fine, thin hair. The best oil I have found is Camelia oil. My hair is APL, and I use two, wee drops on my ends as a leave in.