PDA

View Full Version : Spring/Summer VS Fall/Winter Hair Care Differences

StellaKatherine
March 19th, 2015, 02:22 PM
So last year somewhere at the begining of May I suddenly realized my hair needed some better care if I wanted it to look the best it could. I started making the coconut oil treatments over night, SMT's, coconut milk treatments, honey-olive oil-egg yolk prewash treatments.. Continued with tons of experiments, buying some hairtoys, make new hairstyles and ofcourse take tons of photos. I enjoyed it all so much. And I must say my hair never felt or looked as good! :o

Then fall came and I still was all in to taking care my hair, but the days started to get shorter and colder.. The darker the days became to less I started to care for my hair. I made maybe two coconut oil treatment in 4 month time and those were after I FORCED myself to put on. I would just put my hair in a bun and do my best to forget about. At some point I even was afraid, that I will just cut it off.... :rolleyes:

And last week it is like I wokeup again! The days are getting longer and I care more. Still no photos though ;)

Anyway... Anyone else has this ? At spring and summer wanting and needing and enjoying taking care of the hair and then at the fall and winter complete ignoring it ? Or maybe some other differences in your hair rutines ?

Nemain
March 19th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Now that I think about it, I do experiment more in the warmer months, even though I dislike extremely warm weather. The other day I was just thinking about new treatments I could do :) usually when it's cold outside, even washing it is a pain since it makes me even more cold.

I am also way overdue for a new hair photo. :D

lapushka
March 19th, 2015, 03:12 PM
My routine stays the same year round. I don't notice any differences during colder months or hotter months. :o

StellaKatherine
March 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM
There is only one thing, that I kept through out the winter . That is your WCC lapushka! Will never give that up for no reason ;)

Arctic
March 19th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I do get a waxing and waning hair enthusiasm waves, but I don't think they correlate with nature's seasons. My basic routine stays the same, and just a month ago I would have told you I am done with all experimenting - only to find my self immersed into few new ones. Plus lately I have loved trying new hairstyle, and take photos of them and post the best to my blog as a collection (for shoulder length hair). Non of these is based on seasons, more likely on the other, stressful situations and aspects of my life. I tend to feel the need for a lighthearted hairtalk more when I am stressed, and that's usually when I seem to navigate my way back here.

lapushka
March 19th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I'm glad to hear you're so happy with it, StellaKatherine! I love it too. And it puts quite a dent in my stash as well. That's the thing, you use up *so* much conditioner. :lol:

StellaKatherine
March 19th, 2015, 03:42 PM
lapushka, I finally used up ALL the bottles of the conditioner laying around the bathroom :laugh:

lapushka
March 19th, 2015, 03:43 PM
lapushka, I finally used up ALL the bottles of the conditioner laying around the bathroom :laugh:

Yay! :thumbsup: :lol:

Nadine <3
March 19th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Hmm, I go through waves of interest, but not really based on the weather. I'll be really good about DT's for a few weeks and then suddenly for a few weeks I don't do anything but wash and condition it. I know my hair NEEDS the extra attention in the winter, in the summer (when it's very humid) most of my experiments just end with tangly irritated hair because my hair HATES humidity. This summer my goal is to nail down a gel that keeps my waves and frizzes in check

molljo
March 19th, 2015, 09:07 PM
My routine has been more or less the same, but I notice that I'm much less likely to try to make my hair look cute or have much fun with it. It was going to end up under a hat and get messed up anyway. I don't think I've taken a proper length picture since November. Now that the weather is getting much nicer I'm starting to feel a lot more enthusiasm for the whole growing process rather than ambivalent/frustrated.

Nanna
March 20th, 2015, 01:26 AM
Hm, I seem to pretty much the opposite of you, StellaKatherine. During the winter I have the patience and energy to oil my hair and make all kinds of fancy buns and braids, but come summer I'll only throw my hair up and forget it. :)

Auni
March 20th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Hm, I seem to pretty much the opposite of you, StellaKatherine. During the winter I have the patience and energy to oil my hair and make all kinds of fancy buns and braids, but come summer I'll only throw my hair up and forget it. :)

That's me too. I think I do it to avoid dreaded frizzshudder:.On the upside, I don't heat style my hair much in the summer since no matter what, moments later it looks however it wants! At least in the winter I can wear my hair down if I want! My goal this spring is to play with honey to help combat humidity!

meteor
March 20th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Yes, seasons affect me this way, and it's unfortunate, since my hair needs all TLC it can get in harsh winter, but that's when my energy is low and I hate getting my hair wet for long periods of time when it's cold. In summer-time, I can do lots of treatments on wet hair, but my hair doesn't seem to need them. Conundrum... :lol:

hinabelle
March 20th, 2015, 09:24 PM
I sweat easily and heavily, and the fact that summers are VERY hot where I live
doesn't make it fun at all. My hair is thick and dark, so it sucks all the heat in and
holds it there. Then when my new, 4x growth comes in, it gets extra puffy and
frizzy with the heat. Even walking around with my hair up can be hard on me.
So I just have to make sure I stay cool and my hair is okay. I bought a parasol
for this summer, but I'm also really sad to use it because my hair color loves
the sun and soaks up the rays and makes my auburn-reddish highlights come out...
and stay out! :o So I'm super conflicted about hiding underneath a parasol.
But I read a few guides about using lemon juice in your hair and doing a
"hair tanning" in the sun that can lighten the highlights. Anyone done this?

kallarina
March 20th, 2015, 09:45 PM
OP's story is the story of my life. I do exactly that, take amazing care of my hair in the summer, and neglect it (mostly benignly) in the winter. I do believe I suffer from seasonal depression, however. Wintertime makes me very pessimistic, moody, and lethargic. It's difficult for me to do normal tasks, and even get out of bed, let alone fuss with my hair. it really could be seasonal for you, OP

meteor
March 20th, 2015, 10:32 PM
I sweat easily and heavily, and the fact that summers are VERY hot where I live
doesn't make it fun at all. My hair is thick and dark, so it sucks all the heat in and
holds it there. Then when my new, 4x growth comes in, it gets extra puffy and
frizzy with the heat. Even walking around with my hair up can be hard on me.
So I just have to make sure I stay cool and my hair is okay. I bought a parasol
for this summer, but I'm also really sad to use it because my hair color loves
the sun and soaks up the rays and makes my auburn-reddish highlights come out...
and stay out! :o So I'm super conflicted about hiding underneath a parasol.
But I read a few guides about using lemon juice in your hair and doing a
"hair tanning" in the sun that can lighten the highlights. Anyone done this?

Yes, it would work, but sun-bleaching is damaging, I'm afraid. That sun lightening we get is due to hair keratin degrading under UV rays.
Lemon juice lightens hair, but its pH is around 2.0, which is extremely acidic. It dries hair out, sadly.
There is no no-damage way of significantly lightening hair. If one is really dead-set on lightening hair, I'd try some honey lightening or (*gasp*) bleach with a heavy dose of coconut oil and hydrolyzed proteins to buffer the damage a tiny bit. But yeah, it will still be damaging.

hinabelle
March 22nd, 2015, 04:02 PM
Oh, goodness! I had no idea sun lightening was damaging! Thank you for letting
me know, meteor! I also didn't know that lemon juice was damaging either.
I guess I'll be hiding under my parasol then without any regrets! :)