PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Had Sleep Study & Need To Get Glue Out Of Hair!

Komao
March 19th, 2015, 06:13 AM
I'm hoping someone can advise me of the best way to get glue off scalp and hair. To make electrodes stick to scalp they used glue all over my scalp. It was not pleasant when taking out electrodes.
Do you think I should use a moisturizing conditioner on hair and scalp to loosen glue? I don't use shampoo as I CO but would that be better for loosening up the gloppy mess.
Thanks for any help. It will be greatly appreciated. Now I need to get some sleep after sleep study as it was exhausting!

Wildcat Diva
March 19th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Mineral oil? It helps me with getting glue reside from labels I want to take off of bottles.

veryhairyfairy
March 19th, 2015, 06:18 AM
I would try oil before conditioner, since that gets out nasty sticky stuff like gum. Good luck! :flower:

Nique1202
March 19th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Apparently some of the glues/pastes they use are sensitive to heat, so washing/rinsing with the hottest water you can handle might help, too.

Komao
March 19th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Mineral oil? It helps me with getting glue reside from labels I want to take off of bottles.

Is mineral oil the same as baby oil? If not could you tell me a brand of mineral oil, you would suggest?

veryhairyfairy
March 19th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Is mineral oil the same as baby oil? If not could you tell me a brand of mineral oil, you would suggest?

It is. You can also get it unscented in the pharmacy section of most stores as it's a laxative when taken internally (I believe).

I hope you'll tell us how it goes, I feel so bad that you've got sticky nastiness stuck on your hair and scalp!

Komao
March 19th, 2015, 07:04 AM
It is. You can also get it unscented in the pharmacy section of most stores as it's a laxative when taken internally (I believe).

I hope you'll tell us how it goes, I feel so bad that you've got sticky nastiness stuck on your hair and scalp!

Thank you & you are very kind. :) I will certainly let everyone know my results as I was sort of horrified & would like to help others out that might experience this problem.

ouseljay
March 19th, 2015, 07:17 AM
When I had this stuff, normal shampoo and hot water was sufficient to get the goo out of my hair. It was surprisingly easy, actually.

Komao
March 19th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Apparently some of the glues/pastes they use are sensitive to heat, so washing/rinsing with the hottest water you can handle might help, too.

When I had this stuff, normal shampoo and hot water was sufficient to get the goo out of my hair. It was surprisingly easy, actually.

Thank you both. I think I'll try mineral oil first. See how that goes & then shampoo if I need to. I CO except to clarify & I've been staying away from hot water for along time but if it's necessary in the end I'll do whatever I have to to get junk off scalp & out of hair. It's good to know that your method worked for you, ouseljay:)

Wildcat Diva
March 19th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Mineral oil is same as baby oil. And with a heavy CO I believe that you won't end up too greasy. Leave CO on a good long time and massage in with warm water.

lapushka
March 19th, 2015, 07:35 AM
MO is the same as baby oil, but I believe the laxative option is a heavier MO? No?

veryhairyfairy
March 19th, 2015, 07:53 AM
MO is the same as baby oil, but I believe the laxative option is a heavier MO? No?

That's a good point, I found it to be much thicker in consistency that Johnson's baby oil.

Stormynights
March 19th, 2015, 09:31 AM
I just used conditioner to get it out. It was surprisingly easy to remove. I have sleep apnea. If you have any questions about this feel free to PM me.

Islandgrrl
March 19th, 2015, 09:37 AM
I used heaps of conditioner after my daughter had her EEG studies. I slathered it on her scalp and massaged it in really well (she liked that part), then covered it with a plastic shower cap and a wool hat for an hour. Everything came out very easily when we rinsed it off.

lapushka
March 19th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I once had a SSEP, and it's the same thing, they glue electrodes to your head; they just came out, and with a normal, regular wash it was okay.

hinabelle
March 19th, 2015, 12:35 PM
When I had my sleep study done, I just used water and pulled it out gently while I was still at the doctor's. I missed a spot that I found later, but it came out super easy with just water for me. I think a normal wash will also be okay. :)

Shibe
March 21st, 2015, 02:37 PM
When I had my sleep study I just let it fall out itself. I was so paranoid! Happy it came out easy :)

Komao
March 21st, 2015, 02:47 PM
Well I guess I made a mountain out of a molehill! I was very tired, had not been feeling well & the one thing going right was my hair. It's been growing & feeling really good. So when I came home with scalp covered and parts of my hair in glue, I was depressed & not sure of damage that might occur. My SO picked up some MO for me. I put some of that on scalp. Waited a few hours and then did a treatment with conditioner, left it on for 3 hours and rinsed with warmish water & then cool water. Hair and scalp are fine.
Thank you all so much for your help. I feel like a new woman. :D

embee
March 21st, 2015, 05:27 PM
Good. I hope you get some good sleep too! :)

Jadestorm
July 11th, 2016, 03:35 AM
I'm glad it came out well for you! I cannot believe reading how easily some of you got it all out. Where did it go wrong for me? Because, when I had my sleep study in December 2014 it was quite disasterous and now I have to do one again. :rolleyes:
They just kept adding glue and there were many sticky 'bandaids' (like bandages but with adhesive) they stuck in my hair. It was not just the regular sleep study, I also had nap tests the next day, so they did glue everything down extra firmly because everything had to stay put from noon on the first day until in the evening the next day. During the night as I was moving, I felt my hair breaking underneath the 'bandaids'. I was literally pulling out my hair every time I moved. When the 'bandaids' were pulled out the next day in the evening, they also pulled out a lot of my hair and I still have short parts in my hair from the breakage. The glue from the electrodes on my scalp did not come off well at all, it took me a week to get all the glue out and I tried everything. At the clinic they used some chemical to try and get it out but they said 'oh my, what did they do to you? It's like they poured an entire bottle of glue onto your scalp, it's not coming out'. At home I tried with oils, that didn't work. Then I used lots of shampoo and conditioner and then a rescue hair mask. Then most of it finally came out, but I was picking out pieces of glue for the rest of the week.

And now, I have to do a sleep study again. My hair breaks very easily due to medical problems and I already have to be pretty careful with it. So of course I'm really worried about what's going to happen to my hair this time... It sucks that I cannot protect it from breaking and being pulled out from the 'bandaids'. So I'm probably going to have even more breakage this time... As for the glue... I think this time I'll try CO right away. Leaving a light conditioner on my scalp for a while and afterwards using the rescue mask. Perhaps this time things will be different, who knows. I hope so.

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 04:33 AM
I hope things will go much easier for you this time, Jadestorm!
When is your study, so we can root for you? Or, would you rather not say?

pailin
July 11th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Oh, I hope it does go better, Jadestorm. My later sleep studies weren't so bad, my first sleep study I also had the daytime study, and it was awful. I had to get great wads of adhesive off my head afterwards. Mostly I used tons of conditioner plus a regular comb (not wide tooth) to scrape underneath and loosen it.
I might add, I only had about SL hair at the time.

Jadestorm
July 11th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Thanks ladies!

It's this week, Lapushka.

Yes, Pailin, I had that daytime study afterwards too! Since you're saying the same thing, I'm assuming the reason for those big amounts of glue were due to both our sleep studies not only being one night. I hope so at least, lol! Glad to hear your later ones weren't so bad, maybe it will be the same for me now too. This is already making me feel a little better, thanks for sharing! :)

lapushka
July 11th, 2016, 11:23 AM
It's this week, Lapushka.

Ooh that's soon already. I hope everything goes well and that your results are fine, first and foremost! :) :flower:

Jadestorm
July 11th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Ooh that's soon already. I hope everything goes well and that your results are fine, first and foremost!
Thank you! Yes, that is the most important part :)

mindwiped
July 11th, 2016, 04:33 PM
I'm not CO, but I had a sleep study done over the U.S. Memorial Day weekend this year. My heavy duty clarifying shampoo followed by a double conditioner got everything out for me. This was my 3rd or 4th study. The one time, they actually gave me a little bottle of shampoo that got everything out without stripping away all my sebum. Wish I knew what it was but it was just a 'hotel' type bottle. Both times my hair was around bsl. I'm just thrilled that I've got a cpap with the correct settings. And this one is new enough it can be set on auto-pap, which will change my settings as I need them through the night.