PDA

View Full Version : Bangs self trim

Natalia
March 19th, 2015, 05:09 AM
I'm in a bit of a time crunch and my hairdresser can't fit me in. Does anyone have a video or photo tutorial for trimming side swept bands they really like? I've never done my own before but family is visiting I haven't seen in 6 years and I want to look nice. I'm about 3 weeks past due for a trim so it's hard to follow the original cut line

veryhairyfairy
March 19th, 2015, 06:41 AM
I've used this method with much better success than any other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPfWikx-8E

I used to just cut at an angle with all of the bangs combed forward, but this one has a result that looks much more professional IMO. Definitely cut a tiny bit at a time and let it fully dry in between!!! Cutting side swept bangs wet is how I ended up with regular bangs because I went too short!
Hope this helps! :)

ETA: I go farther out toward my ear with the hair to cut (more sideways across my face than down, if that makes sense), because I like a more pronounced angle. And thinning shears are not necessary.

tigress86
March 19th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I like videos from this hairdresser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CSTWzEsYRs

Natalia
March 19th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Thank you both! I will check them out, once i wash its trim time :)

Remi
March 19th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Yes, I like the vid that tigress86 posted! Hope it helps.

Natalia
March 22nd, 2015, 04:35 AM
Ok im back :). I ended up using the video veryhairyfairy posted since it was closer to how i usually get mine cut. I did a longer prelim cut just in case i left myself a bit of room to go shorter. I really dont have the right comb for it but i made do and it worked well :). Going to play with it for another day then maybe go get a finer comb (i have baby fine/thin hair) so i can be more accurate. Its hard to hold the comb from falling out of place while wielding scissors lol. Its certainly a heck of alot better though i need to learn how to properly thin/feather it then i probably wouldnt even need to go get them trimmed anymore.

veryhairyfairy
March 22nd, 2015, 08:30 AM
Glad you've improved the look so far! :) I'm not sure about how to go about thinning/feathering, though, maybe point cutting? Thinning shears on the very ends? Hopefully someone with more experience in that area will chime in.

Natalia
March 23rd, 2015, 01:57 AM
Glad you've improved the look so far! :) I'm not sure about how to go about thinning/feathering, though, maybe point cutting? Thinning shears on the very ends? Hopefully someone with more experience in that area will chime in.

Thank you and yeah thats what i was thinking. My joints are bad i dont trust my hands to point cut plan to get some texture shears when i go to the beauty supply since my mom cant find hers. SAt least i no longer look like a cross between shaggy and cousin it anymore

Natalia
March 27th, 2015, 08:50 PM
Just checking back in since i finally got my pintail fine tooth comb (so i can separate the part better) and some 40 tooth texture shears. So i hope after some experimenting tonight ill have happy bangs again :). The blunt cut was better than none but they dont lay well so im hoping a little texture will help. Thats what my lady does at the salon but she does it freehand.