PDA

View Full Version : My bangs are growing too quickly...

endlessly
March 18th, 2015, 02:13 PM
I recently took the plunge and gave myself bangs and then went through several periods of hating, loving, and being irritated by them. Now, however, I've come to the conclusion that they flatter my face shape much better and oddly enough, the rest of my hair feels so much healthier now than ever before. However, my bangs need constant trimming and it's getting to be very frustrating. My initial cut was done a little over one month ago and the hair just reached below my eyebrow - so not too short and not very long. Within one week, I had to trim an inch off the length - yeah, that's right, ONE INCH. Now, I know my hair isn't growing that quickly because while it grows fast, it certainly doesn't grow that fast. Another two weeks passed, and I trimmed an additional inch off my bangs. Now approaching about 1 1/2 weeks later and I'm already in desperate need of a trim because I can't see.

So, I have to ask, what the hell is going on with my bangs? I've grown my normal amount on the rest of my hair, but my bangs are just out of control every day. I haven't had bangs since I was very young, but I never remember them doing this. Could it be that my hair is just settling differently every day and giving the appearance of being much longer than it really is? I don't want to keep cutting and then have them accidentally be too short, but no matter how much I trim, I don't seem to get to that point. Any ideas? Do bangs just require daily trimmings? Is my hair possessed?

That last one was meant to be a joke, but now I'm curious...

ositarosita
March 18th, 2015, 02:28 PM
My fringe / face framing layers are the same way. If I cut them to above / around my eyebrow area they grow like weeds but as soon as the hair gets to my bottom lip the growth rate slows down. I have no idea whats going on, just know that you're not alone in this.. I do wish however that the rest of my hair would have the same problem

Nique1202
March 18th, 2015, 02:53 PM
I think it all depends on how much you play with them to keep them in place. Full bangs fly every which-a-way and need to be ruffled back into place a lot, so the roots get a lot of stimulation which can encourage growth. Side swept bangs sometimes need to be swept aside again but less so, so they grow slower than full bangs, and from about nose- or mouth-length and down, bangs hardly need to be moved around at all so they grow the same as the rest of your scalp.

If I played with all my hair the way I play with my bangs to get them to sit in place, I'm sure it would grow faster BUT it would also get greasy as all get out and I'd have to wash it a lot more often, aside from my arms getting tired from playing with the hair all over my head. I'll take the slower growth, in this case.

Shibe
March 18th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Sounds like a wonderful first world hair problem http://www.dayonepatch.com/public/style_emoticons/default/face_daydream.gif

Arctic
March 18th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Maybe all of your hair is growing that fast but since they are very long and the length are old, they also break a bit, which the young length of the bangs won't do. Although that is some crazy growth you got there, just bang or not!

battles
March 18th, 2015, 03:39 PM
When you want to keep your bangs, they grow too fast. When you want to grow them out, they don't grow at all. ;)

Anje
March 18th, 2015, 03:50 PM
When you want to keep your bangs, they grow too fast. When you want to grow them out, they don't grow at all. ;)

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7nyqunANL1rziwwco1_400.gif

butter52
March 18th, 2015, 03:55 PM
Maybe it is because there is very little distance between eyebrows and just a bit of growth will start bothering and annoying so it will seem they grow all the time?

lapushka
March 18th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Maybe it is because there is very little distance between eyebrows and just a bit of growth will start bothering and annoying so it will seem they grow all the time?

Just what I was about to say. Just below your eyebrows? Then your bangs won't need much to start to annoy you. It may look like an inch, but it might very well not be.

Larki
March 18th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I usually trim mine a third or half an inch every two weeks or so. When they start becoming unruly. It only takes like thirty seconds to trim them though, it's not a big deal.

endlessly
March 18th, 2015, 06:30 PM

I thought this at first, too. As much as I would love straight across, blunt bangs, my hair doesn't want to cooperate that way, so they've become more sideswept. Also, they have a bit of a curl at the ends, so I tend to pull them straight before I cut them, which typically means they should lift quite a bit...but they never do.

endlessly
March 18th, 2015, 06:33 PM

That's exactly it. First world problems, am I right?

endlessly
March 18th, 2015, 06:35 PM
My fringe / face framing layers are the same way. If I cut them to above / around my eyebrow area they grow like weeds but as soon as the hair gets to my bottom lip the growth rate slows down. I have no idea whats going on, just know that you're not alone in this.. I do wish however that the rest of my hair would have the same problem

Right? I wish the rest of my hair grew like this and that it wasn't just limited to my bangs. I've even measured them just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind and the measuring tape proves they're growing - I just wish they would stay still for a little while once I have them looking just right, you know?

arr
March 18th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I think since bangs are so much shorter than the rest of the hair they seem to grow faster, kind of like when you have really short hair, but actually it's all growing the same. Anyway, I have bangs that I keep at that just below the eyebrow length and yes, you have to just get used to trimming constantly, at least two to three times a month.

chen bao jun
March 19th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Yeah, bangs need constant trimming, that's what I found when I had straightened hair. Now that I have curly hair bangs, I haven't trimmed in forever, although they are way past my chin at this point, they partly shrink up and --I curl them up at night on a small satin covered sponge roller.
I kind of like this as they can be bang-not bang as I choose, they are definitely long enough to sweep back with the rest of my hair, but are also definitely bangs.

I think I partly love my bangs because being cut much more than the rest of my hair, they don't have those long hair issues, dry ends. ssks, tangling, etc. Reminds me that if I want short(er) hair, those issues would all go away--and that i DONT want shorter hair.

I agree that the OP's hair grows fast--but that this is always even more so with bangs because just a little bit of growth gets them into your eyes and so you notice.