PDA

View Full Version : Dish soap for hair?

maesabeth
March 17th, 2015, 09:07 PM
I looked for a similiar thread and found none, so I hope it's okay I start this! Ahem.
Sometimes things get tough and I have to cut corners or (more likely) my ninteen year old car is broke again and I can't get to the store to buy shampoo, so I picked up something my mom does on occasion: wash my hair with dish soap (I've only ever used Dawn).
And wowy! My hair is always so soft, silky, and shiny after sudsing it into my scalp and length, but i find I have to use conditioner or my hair is dry.
Has anyone experimented with dish soap? I'm curious about your results!

mz_butterfly
March 17th, 2015, 09:14 PM
I would use it in a pinch, like you did. I would try not to use it long term for fear of drying out your hair very badly.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 17th, 2015, 09:16 PM
I would only use it in an emergency to clarify if I really needed to, or something like that. If I needed to use it because I had run out of shampoo, I would use it diluted with water, as it is very harsh.

embee
March 18th, 2015, 06:45 AM
I have done this, but I dilute the dish soap a *lot*. Just a little bit in a big tumbler or warm water is enough. It sure will cut through the greasies though. :)

If suffienciently diluted, the need for conditioner is not so great.

(My dermatologist recommended this when I was a teen - a greasy hairball mess. Also suggested diluted ACV rinse, as our water was very soft and soaps did not rinse out.)

Agnieszka
March 18th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I used it once like 5 times in a row when I was trying to get rid of henna :-))) My hair was very dry but recovered just fine. Of course henna stayed untouched :-)

swords & roses
March 18th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Knowing the absolute havoc Dawn wreaks upon my hands, and how just a little squirt makes tons of suds, I'd definitely say a little bit very diluted, followed up by conditioner would be your best bet when you have to go this route. I wonder... in a pinch, would liquid handsoap be a little gentler as a shampoo than dish soap?

When you're able, pick up a cheap shampoo & conditioner (V05 is $0.50-$0.99/bottle here) and keep them tucked away as a backup for when you have an "Oh, shoot!" moment. :)

lapushka
March 22nd, 2015, 06:06 PM
When you're able, pick up a cheap shampoo & conditioner (V05 is $0.50-$0.99/bottle here) and keep them tucked away as a backup for when you have an "Oh, shoot!" moment. :)

Excellent advice! :thumbsup:

Nadine <3
March 22nd, 2015, 06:13 PM
I would not use it long term, no. You can get shampoo pretty cheap...maybe if I ever ran out of shampoo I'd dilute it and try it, but I have a hoard of shampoo big enough for 40 people to use for 3 ears and still not have to buy anything LOL

7thOfTheDamned
March 22nd, 2015, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't do it longterm unless I had serious oil issues. I've used it before to get oily substances out of my hair before without any major effects, though. Last time I dyed my hair, my shampoo was kind of buried under my sink, and I took the lazy route and used Method cranberry hand soap. It worked as well as my clarifying shampoo does, I think. I would probably avoid anything with iodine or a color too different from my hair. (I've also used body lotion as leave-in conditioner, during my blonde phase. :D)

swords & roses
March 22nd, 2015, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't do it longterm unless I had serious oil issues. I've used it before to get oily substances out of my hair before without any major effects, though. Last time I dyed my hair, my shampoo was kind of buried under my sink, and I took the lazy route and used Method cranberry hand soap. It worked as well as my clarifying shampoo does, I think. I would probably avoid anything with iodine or a color too different from my hair. (I've also used body lotion as leave-in conditioner, during my blonde phase. :D)

Tiny bit off topic, but that bolded bit reminded me that conditioner also makes a good shaving cream! Nice, smooth legs! ;)

endlessly
March 22nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
The only time I've ever resorted to using dish soap on my hair was when I had a dye mishap and trust me, it did wonders for lifting very dark dye! However, since it is incredibly stripping and drying to the hair, I wouldn't recommend making it a regular occurrence unless you absolutely had to.

meteor
March 22nd, 2015, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't use it, because its pH is not targeted for hair & skin (hair and skin do best with somewhat acidic products). Also, the ingredients in dish soap would be focused on lifting grease off hard materials, not conditioning hair.
Many mild shampoos these days could technically be called "2-in-1" or conditioning shampoos. If that's too mild for you, I'd look into clarifying formulas or shampoos for oily/dandruff-prone hair, but that would still be gentler on hair than a kitchen detergent.

In a pinch, I'd rather use water than soap, to be honest. I also dilute shampoos a lot (1:5 - 1:10 ratio), and use conditioner to mildly "cleanse", as well.

DeadlyUnicorn
March 22nd, 2015, 10:16 PM
I have to agree I'd probably be more likely to use water than dish soap.. That stuff is so harsh.