PDA

View Full Version : how to test hair health?

LeMimi13
March 17th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I searched but couldnt find anything useful..
How do you check your hair health? How do you know?
I feel like in each "curl" (my hait is wavy, not curly, but still... i mean like a piece of hair, one of the pieces that moves together.. hard to explain) there are so maby different lenghts. The ends sort of start curling in spirals, and I'm not sure if those are possibly split ends that are way too high, damage or just how hair grows whrn it's not trimmed to a blunt perfection.
Last time my hair was trimmed, it was cut a lot by a stylist who cut way too much (ive told this story way too much, lol) and my endings were not comoletly blunt, and i have very few layers, most are in thr front..
Is my hair unhealthy? Are those splits? Also, how fo you check for all the splits when S&D? Do you twist and snip hair that sticks out? If you do, doesn't that end uo cutting off actual lenght that is healthy, jusy hasnt grown enough yet?

Btw, another question. Is there a specific way to touch up a face framing piece for it to curl inwards? I'm in the no trimming 2015 challenge, so I don't think I'll trim, but just so I know how not to mess up with the movement of this layer when S&D. I havent figured a good S&D method yet, just looking for tips and help figuring out whether I need to actually cut my ends or not.

PS: if multiple lenght pieces are healthy, could you show me what is considered a damaged end and an healthy, though not freshly cut one?

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Scanning Electron Microscopy would definitely help show "health" (condition) of your hair strands and condition of your hair cuticle, but it's expensive and hard to get access to.

Wendy from GoosefootPrints and Science-y Hair Blog does affordable hair analysis https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/GoosefootPrints

There is also Komaza Care Personal Hair Analysis: http://www.komazahaircare.com/personal-hair-analysis.htm

I think even understanding of your hair porosity and elasticity (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/managing-elasticity-and-porosity-in-hair.html) and careful examination of the hemline (and overall hair) in good light and/or using a magnifying glass can be pretty helpful (splits, white dots, single-strand knots, frayed ends, etc...). However, most damage would not be visible to the naked eye until it's pretty serious, of course. You might want to also run fingers up and down sampled hair strands to see if you notice anything unusual - like lack of slip or feeling some roughness, bumpiness or thinner hair shaft diameter on the ends where there might be some old damage accumulated... Just examine your hair when you get a chance and you'll find out a lot! ;)

Hope this helps! :flower:

lapushka
March 17th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Just examine your hair when you get a chance and you'll find out a lot! ;)

This. ^^ If you can't discover white dots or splits, you're absolutely fine! If you do find them, S&D, but if there are a lot of white dots / splits (more than half your hair), a trim might be better as S&D would thin out your hair too much then.

LeMimi13
March 18th, 2015, 07:57 AM
I cpuld only find like 3-4 splits, and most were in the back of my head. . I just hope I don't have splits that are too high up! When I twist my hair, many pieces stick out, amd I had read that those are damage..

LeMimi13
March 18th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Btw: should you cut hair thay is "thickening"?

missblueeyes
March 18th, 2015, 07:58 AM
When you twist your hair, there'll always be pieces sticking out because your individual hairs are at different lengths. You'll never have an entire head of hairs that are all the same length. :) If you use the twist & cut method, only cut the hairs that actually have a white dot or split at the end.

lapushka
March 18th, 2015, 08:42 AM
I cpuld only find like 3-4 splits, and most were in the back of my head. . I just hope I don't have splits that are too high up! When I twist my hair, many pieces stick out, amd I had read that those are damage..

Those aren't damage. Not unless there's a white dot on them or a split. Otherwise, it just comes with the territory of having long hair. You'll always have shorter pieces sticking out!

Edit: now I realize I'm saying exactly what missblueeyes is saying before me... :lol:

LeMimi13
March 18th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Hm... okay then, thank you! Are there any other ways to check for splits? And how high should I search?

Wosie
March 18th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Btw: should you cut hair thay is "thickening"?

Do the thickened hairs feel rough to the touch?

As for your other question--your hair is light, so I would recommend for you to use a dark background (vice versa for darker hair) and good light when S&D:ing (natural light is the best, imo). I personally check as high as I possibly can, I find more splits there than in the hemline area.

LeMimi13
March 18th, 2015, 10:40 AM
My hair is light, indeed. But I'm a blondette, so if I dony have great lighting, a light background is good:)