PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Hair Wet

Michiru
March 16th, 2015, 12:11 AM
So the past few days here in LA it's in in the 90s and I don't have AC. I have been taking a lot of 30 sec cold showers but noticed I feel cool for the longest period of time when I get my hair wet. Will it be very damaging to wet my hair several times a day? I know hair is weaker when wet and I already have thin hair. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging my hair by keeping it wet. It does dry very fast.

Chocowalnut
March 16th, 2015, 02:40 AM
Getting it wet in itself doesn't damage it but it's more susceptible to mechanical damage. So as long as you're just wetting it and not brushing it while it's wet multiple times a day you should be fine I think.

MINAKO
March 16th, 2015, 06:54 AM
I wouldnt, because there is such a ting as hygral fatigue, which makes the hair loose its ability to retain moisture in a dry state. The cuticles are just swelling and deswelling so often that this alone can cause mechanical damage too.

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 09:12 AM
I agree with MINAKO.
Also, keeping scalp wet for very long periods of time would be inviting some potential scalp issues, like seborrheic dermatitis, etc. Keeping hair wet a lot may not necessarily cause too many problems for strong, low-porosity hair if you don't do this all the time, but if it's a persistent problem, I'd just invest in a fan instead.

lunalocks
March 16th, 2015, 09:29 AM
This is how I kept cool in Turkey in August - tho my hair dried out pretty quick. be careful if you are putting you hair up. If you bun it, and the bun is heavy, as it will be when wet, it cal pull against your scalp. The wet hairs are more apt to break with this pulling. Speaking from experience, here.

MINAKO
March 16th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Another idea, why not use a water mist spray to keep your skin cool. Or you could wear a damp piece of cloth over your shoulders.

endlessly
March 16th, 2015, 09:39 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend constantly re-wetting your hair since it is at its most fragile when wet and it's almost entirely impossible to be 100% gentle with wet hair. The last thing you'd want it to cause further damage or worse, breakage. Especially considering your hair is already on the thinner side, as you had mentioned, I don't think it would be in the best interest to keep weakening your strands. Also, like meteor had mentioned, you could potentially cause issues with your scalp as a result of leaving it damp for long periods of time, which could also lead to further hair damage.

Our worst summer here in Minnesota was 100-105 degrees most days and we didn't have air conditioning, so I can definitely relate to what you're going through. What helped me keep cool was keeping my hair up and out of the way, using a cool cloth or ice pack on the back of my neck, and lots of lightweight clothing. I actually felt warmer with my hair wet, so I tried to keep it as dry as possible - but, I have pretty thick, heavy hair, so that's most likely the reason why.

yogagirl
March 16th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Try this to give your hair a break: Fill a shallow plastic bucket or pan with cool water and stick your feet in it.

lapushka
March 16th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Or wet (the inside of) your wrists underneath really cold water - cools you right down.

Stormynights
March 16th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Put a wet towel around your neck and try to stay in front of a fan. The spray bottle works too. .

Auracle
March 17th, 2015, 01:44 PM
You can make a AC like contraption using large shallow rubbermaids filled with ice, or a large bowel that was filled with water then frozen, and a box fan. I would be worried about the stress to much water could have on your hair.

Kome
March 17th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I would maybe oil it and don't wash it. I assume you're not. But oil should get it moisturized since you're wetting it so much. I know the feeling though. I live in Florida and we often don't put on the air unless it's almost 90 out. It sucks. I feel your pain!