PDA

View Full Version : first time hair loss

kitana97
March 14th, 2015, 07:04 PM
It pains me just to write this. I've never experienced hair loss in my life but the past few months I've had noticeable hair loss. My hair has barely grown and it's at least 40% thinner at the ends then it was in the fall. I think it might be do to lack of nutrients. I used to take a mutlivitamin everyday but haven't done so since the summer. I've also not been very careful with it - wearing it down and ripping through tangles daily.

I'm starting a supplement regime again along with Biotin. Will I have to wait years for the hair to thicken back up or will it happen after a few months of supplements + bunning + and babying my hair?

Shibe
March 15th, 2015, 02:29 AM
I would honestly try prenatals.

Before I started taking mine I had easily damaged, insanely slow growing hair. My nails were also very brittle, and would get cut from hair when finger combing! They also peeled.

Now that I've been on prenatals for a few months I don't have that problem anymore.

I would see a doctor and make sure nothing is going on- but I would recommend an all around vitamin. You could be deficient in multiple areas.

M.McDonough
March 15th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I'm sorry to hear that.. Just think about you have been doing recently.. are you taking good care of yourself?

Arctic
March 15th, 2015, 10:13 AM
I would honestly try prenatals.

Before I started taking mine I had easily damaged, insanely slow growing hair. My nails were also very brittle, and would get cut from hair when finger combing! They also peeled.

Now that I've been on prenatals for a few months I don't have that problem anymore.

I would see a doctor and make sure nothing is going on- but I would recommend an all around vitamin. You could be deficient in multiple areas.

Do I remember correctly that you are pregnant? If you are, most like the effects you have experiencing are not from pre-natal vitamins per se, but from your very own hormones. Vitamins are great, don't get me wrong, I supplement quite a bit too. There seems to be a persistent misconception that this particular type of multivitamin would cause extraordinary growth and so on, when in fact on most cases the pregnancy hormones are the reason behind the growth spurt and nice looking, thicker hair (and nails). If you compare the breakdown of the vitamin/mineral content of pre-natal vitamins to any other multivitamins, there are not THAT big difference that would explain this type of (often more expensive) vitamin products to work better than the normal multivitamins (assuming the multivitamin has a good selection of vitamins and minerals and they meet the body's need and are balanced with eachother). Ofcourse if a person has deficiencies and starts to patch them, the body always reacts positively. Nothing wrong with pre-natal vitamins at all (they probably do have an excellent balance designed for pregnancy needs, which are different than non-pregnant body has), I just feel they are given credits from something that isn't based on truth.

Arctic
March 15th, 2015, 10:20 AM
It pains me just to write this. I've never experienced hair loss in my life but the past few months I've had noticeable hair loss. My hair has barely grown and it's at least 40% thinner at the ends then it was in the fall. I think it might be do to lack of nutrients. I used to take a mutlivitamin everyday but haven't done so since the summer. I've also not been very careful with it - wearing it down and ripping through tangles daily.

I'm starting a supplement regime again along with Biotin. Will I have to wait years for the hair to thicken back up or will it happen after a few months of supplements + bunning + and babying my hair?

Definitely do try to correct any deficiencies with supplements, and also try to eat well in general. Malnourishment can really cause hairloss. If you can, maybe have a bloodwork done, and see a nutritionist too?

Meanwhile, I don't know if this suit you or helps you, but many people have been reporting less shedding from doing caffeine rinses, there are few ongoing threads at the mane forum. Apparently it often helps with shedding after the very first (of first couple of) try(s), so you wouldn't have to commit to months of exprimenting to see if it works for you. It also seems to make hair grow faster for some people (probably the health and nourisment levels of the body need to be balanced, though).

gwenalyn
March 15th, 2015, 11:47 AM
It's worth going to the doctor (assuming you can afford it) to make sure there's nothing serious going on.

kitana97
March 16th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Yea I was thinking about asking my doctor to put in a lab work just to check where my nutrition levels are. I'll probably ask her to order them for next Tuesday. I haven't been eating the best - mostly fruit, rice, and salads which sound healthy but I probably haven't been eating enough variety of things. I've started the supplements and am trying to eat more protein. I'll check out those caffeine rinses, thanks!

*edit* obligatory 420th post heh 8)