PDA

View Full Version : Weird Things Longhairs Have to Think About That Shorthairs Don't.

Angela_Rose
March 14th, 2015, 06:26 AM
I'm going in for a trim today, and I just realised I should wear shorts to the salon so my delightful stylist can see where my knees are.

What weird things do you think we longhairs have to think about or take into consideration that shorthairs would never have to worry about?

rags
March 14th, 2015, 06:38 AM
Because i was doing this yesterday - choosing the fabric of your top to be hair friendly if your hair is down. (or is that only for us fineys? ). And in the same vein, I scrutinize coat collars before purchasing now too. Otherwise I might end up wearing only topknots! (as I have a short neck, they hit lower buns and pull nape hairs on wool coats).

MINAKO
March 14th, 2015, 06:50 AM
I check my clothing too before i wear my hair down. I Have silk blouses, sweaters and hoodies i like to wear. Alternatives would be leather or a nylon parka. Wool or not-so-smooth cotton... nope!
One thing i have been thinking about alot recently is bun weight distribution, because i notice that it happens fairly often to be off center and then the tension on my scalp feels like its going to the left. Since i imagine this would give me a wonky face over the years im expirimenting with twisting and positioning now.

Elly May
March 14th, 2015, 07:24 AM
If my hair is down, I am afraid of cars, specifically doors and automatic seat belts.

neko_kawaii
March 14th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Checking the back of an unfamiliar seat for hair grabbers before letting hair down.

Savvyhorsez
March 14th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Because i was doing this yesterday - choosing the fabric of your top to be hair friendly if your hair is down. (or is that only for us fineys? ). And in the same vein, I scrutinize coat collars before purchasing now too. Otherwise I might end up wearing only topknots! (as I have a short neck, they hit lower buns and pull nape hairs on wool coats).

Oh yes, hair friendly fabrics for us fine haired folks is most certainly something I think about when wearing my hair down, what I've found is that there is basically none, lol.

EdG
March 14th, 2015, 08:15 AM
I won't go within three feet of burning objects. :run:
Ed

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Its not only finehairs. I have been considering making silky tops for spring so that I will feel comfortable wearing air down.
other things I think about: What kind of bun to wear if I will have a long car ride, so my neck doesn't hurt
keeping throw pillows around my house that have satin pillowcases to lean on when my hair is down
because I am a curly, I watch the weather and the dew point
If I am going to wear my hair out, I try to time my washes so that my curls will be at their best (I stretch washes, and they straighten out later in a stretch).
Whether or not my hair will be dry yet, too.
And this is wierd but I grew up in NY and it was a dangerous city then (it's improved a lot) but if I am going to a city, wearing my hair so that it is not accessible to crazy people if I take public transportant. Crazy touchers--or worse. In my head I have a kind a checklist-- removed obviously expensive rings and earrings, yes; wearing handbag that I can hold tight to body, yes; shoes that I can run in if I'm walking, yes; good directions and gps working if I'm in a car and plenty of gas so I don't have to stop in some wierd neighborhood for any reasons, yes; hair in a bun so that no one can get at it, yes---

ExpectoPatronum
March 14th, 2015, 09:36 AM
If I'm going out in public immediately after washing my hair, I have to make sure not to wear a white t-shirt :P I'm sure short hairs can have some unsightly wet spots, but I like leaving my hair down...and my hair is boob length...

StellaKatherine
March 14th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Me and my husband went on a small car trip and I needed to think about car friendly bun ;)

mermaid lullaby
March 14th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Sorry, I was looking at my avatar name and I thought of something.
When you go swimming and you feel like a mermaid underwater but when you swim to the surface, you turn into a scary lake monster.

endlessly
March 14th, 2015, 10:40 AM
For me, I'm always worrying about how to wear my hair - will my hairstyle cause damage and additional stress, what's the most protective style, etc. - whereas shorter-haired people only seem to wonder if they look cute or not.

I also constantly think about deep conditioning treatments and have actually canceled plans because I've made a date with my leave-in treatment masque. For shorter-haired people, they only ever seem to shampoo and condition - washing my hair isn't just a quick task, it's an actual event I have to plan for!

Otherwise, I agree with what several others have said, worrying about the types of clothing you wear so nothing will grab your hair. I worry about car doors and just doors in general - ever had your hair catch and wrap around a door handle? Me too. Many, many times.

One of the biggest issues we have to always think about is whether or not a stranger will grab at your hair. I've never seen someone with shorter-hair being grabbed and having their hair fondled, so why is okay for people to do the same to me? Yes, I understand my hair is long and that's out of the ordinary, but having to worry about "Oh, is that weird person over there who's staring at my hair going to come over and touch me?" is extremely tiresome. So, I think that's truly the strangest thing we have to think about.

Hosta
March 14th, 2015, 10:46 AM
I have started wearing silky scarves to wrap over the top of collars that grab my hair. I also choose buns that don't push on the headrests of the car.

Kina
March 14th, 2015, 11:39 AM
as a curly, making sure to check baby's fingers and toes and unwrapping any hair that has wound itself around them

Angela_Rose
March 14th, 2015, 12:01 PM
If I'm going out in public immediately after washing my hair, I have to make sure not to wear a white t-shirt :P I'm sure short hairs can have some unsightly wet spots, but I like leaving my hair down...and my hair is boob length...

Hahaha! I wouldn't have thought of that! It's been so long since my hair was "boob length!"

Me and my husband went on a small car trip and I needed to think about car friendly bun ;)

This! I'm a chauffeur, and I have to wear my buns in different places depending on what vehicle I'm driving that day.

Sorry, I was looking at my avatar name and I thought of something.
When you go swimming and you feel like a mermaid underwater but when you swim to the surface, you turn into a scary lake monster.

Or like Samara from "The Ring."

I have started wearing silky scarves to wrap over the top of collars that grab my hair. I also choose buns that don't push on the headrests of the car.

I'm going to have to steal that scarf idea.

as a curly, making sure to check baby's fingers and toes and unwrapping any hair that has wound itself around them

I have found my (not very curly) hair wrapped around my kitty's tail. :-(

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 12:31 PM
How could I forget!
(though this is partly a thick hair thing)
Will that pretty barrette hold my hair--not even ALL my hair, but even PART of it. Or jsut, what do I have available that will hold my hair and not explode and break?
(since being on LHC and meeting hairtoys, this isn't on my mind much anymore but it was always was before)

meteor
March 14th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Oh, I can think of lots of things I do that none of my short-haired (and straight-haired) friends do. I don't find them weird, but I think that some people would.

- Getting hair-cuts at salons while standing (it's always the same story - you sit down at first, the hairdresser is clearly uncomfortable, crouching and all, so you shyly suggest if standing would be better, and they are like: "Yessss please!");

- combing my own hair at salons and requesting trims and styling on dry hair (because they don't seem to be very experienced with washing/combing longer hair) and going to salons very rarely (if ever);

- not owning any heat-styling tools (even if I didn't worry about heat damage, I would never have the time to straighten or curl all that hair with an iron);

- not washing hair often but oiling it a lot;

- not being able to sleep with hair completely loose... ever;

- wearing silk scarves under fluffy/woolly scarves/materials, using silky sleep caps/pillowcases and, generally, being aware of different fabrics and their effect on hair;

- having "hair malfunctions" during sports (needing to re-pin the braid up or something);

- having hair considerations (preparations) around any form of physical activity and especially swimming (needing special long-hair swim caps, chelating shampoos, pre-swim oilings, etc...);

- knowing a few hair-friendly ways of putting hair up and knowing something about hair-toys.

meteor
March 14th, 2015, 01:21 PM
One of the biggest issues we have to always think about is whether or not a stranger will grab at your hair. I've never seen someone with shorter-hair being grabbed and having their hair fondled, so why is okay for people to do the same to me? Yes, I understand my hair is long and that's out of the ordinary, but having to worry about "Oh, is that weird person over there who's staring at my hair going to come over and touch me?" is extremely tiresome. So, I think that's truly the strangest thing we have to think about.

This is very true. :( With short hair, I used to wear it down everywhere safely, but with longer hair, the touching attempts are very common, so I automatically bun my hair in public.

Another thing I just thought about: "Having a prepared answer for those strangers who tell you to donate your hair." It's just that in this part of the world receiving hair donation solicitations seems to be a very common, integral part of the whole long-hair experience.

endlessly
March 14th, 2015, 01:29 PM
- combing my own hair at salons and requesting trims and styling on dry hair (because they don't seem to be very experienced with washing/combing longer hair) and going to salons very rarely (if ever)

Oh my God, this! I absolutely hate this! I always have to wonder if stylists honestly think that since we have long hair, we can't feel when they rip through tangles. Seriously, stylists, there's a reason my hair is long and healthy-looking and it's not because I brush my hair like I'm trying to hack my way through a forest.

EdG
March 14th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Me and my husband went on a small car trip and I needed to think about car friendly bun ;)I now have a mental image of going to a car dealership and asking for a bun-friendly car. ;)
Ed

endlessly
March 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
This is very true. :( With short hair, I used to wear it down everywhere safely, but with longer hair, the touching attempts are very common, so I automatically bun my hair in public.

Another thing I just thought about: "Having a prepared answer for those strangers who tell you to donate your hair." It's just that in this part of the world receiving hair donation solicitations seems to be a very common, integral part of the whole long-hair experience.

I completely forgot about that and I get the 'Why don't you donate your hair' question all the time! What helps me the most is that unlike a lot of these people, I've actually done the research to know what certain "hair donation companies" practices actually are and they are not as selfless and giving as most people assume. My personal favorite comeback is this: "If your arm would grow back, but it would take a few years for it to be what it was, would you donate it to someone who didn't have an arm? And especially keep in mind that the company your donating your arm to may or may not actually give it to someone in need and may actually just sell it to someone who wants a better arm." Most don't know how to respond to that!

Vanilla
March 14th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Will my hair be dry by the time I have to go somewhere? My hair takes about 2 hours to dry, and this is more of a nuisance in the winter.

RainbowBowser
March 14th, 2015, 02:01 PM
"Did I bring a hair device/brush??" when I leave the house ever.
Remembering to braid/bun hair to sleep.
"maybe I'll have a chance to S&D" I think as I prepare for a car trip (passenger fun)
"What bun should I wear today?" Seeing as shorter haired buns are usually coventional styling or a sock bun.
Calculating wash/days (counting how many days since you last washed your hair)

(Though I don't feel like a true longhair yet, I have changed my habits from the shorter-haired folk (even longer haired) around me)

Sarahlabyrinth
March 14th, 2015, 02:07 PM
....Counting down the days until the next wash/deep treatment/microtrim with some anticipation......

Colochita
March 14th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Whether or not to spend a hundred and five dollars on a stick.

Saldana
March 14th, 2015, 03:26 PM
- making sure I have some sort of hair restraint anywhere I'm likely to be (work, home, on the gear shifts of all three of the family vehicles, in my purse, in my transit bag...)
- making sure my hair is not going to get rolled up in a car window or closed in a door
- when I go to the cheap-o cuts to get my bangs done, I always make sure I go with my length bunned up, just to keep from getting bugged about 'just a little trim'
- having to pull the brush on the vacuum and cut what seems like a pound of hair out of it. Every week.
- having to plan for hair washes, especially in the winter, due to drying times.
- carrying my satin pillow case with me when I travel
- always checking out the 'hair accessories' at the supermarket, and just walking away, shaking my head. The days of any of those working in my hair are long (ha!) gone.
- Nobody but longhairs ever does S/D. Seriously.

Agnes Hannah
March 14th, 2015, 04:00 PM

I know this, I do it too. If I'm not sure, I'll wear a silk scarf just in case....

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 04:27 PM
I actually not only put wash days in my calendar along with my other 'appointments' but note exactly what I did so that I know if I need a protein yet again or not.

I need good snappy answers to "your curls are so beautiful, why don't you straighten them" and (for the few people who realize that I actually have long hair "yes, I know my hair would be twice this length if I straightened but I still don't wanna.")

travelling and wondering whether it is worth checking your luggage rather than just doing carryon--so you can bring along your s & d shears.

explaining to people who look at my tablet camera why I have so many photos of the back of my head, many more than of my face

Wondering whether or not you should tell people who notice your hair growth and ask how you did it that two of the main things were: giving up shampoo; and giving up combing your hair (except with your fingers once every two weeks when full of conditioner)

making your Ukrainian friends tell you how to say 'burdock oil' in Russian because while they want to go the local Russian store in the next town to get staples like sour cream and pirogies and Ukrainian chocolate, what YOU care about most are traditonal ethnic hair-growing remedies--that they think are old-fashioned. Those girls LOVE American shampoo.

On a very similar note, explaining to your husband that yes, you want to follow that very louche looking Haitian woman into a back alley in Brooklyn with your mutual credit card and use it to buy a concoction she wants to sell you in a re-used liquor bottle because it is the real true homemade l'huile masketi (aka Jamaican black castor oil). He didn't let me. Only my mother understood why I was provoked about this (because even the not very authentic black castor oil on Amazon.com grew her bald spots back in, yes, actually clean bald spots).

Going to a men's barber for haircuts and continuing to do even when my black American friends explain that this is really disgraceful thing to do that lowers you socially --or something (I didn't quite get why they were saying I couldn't keep doing this--all I know is that he will cut an actual 1/4 inch off if I ask, and no more, and in fact, even an 1/8 if that's what I want. And he won't tell me that I 'need' a relaxer).

embee
March 14th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Wondering if your hair-do can get through airport security.

lapushka
March 14th, 2015, 04:46 PM
My hair is always down for sleep, but up during the day. I just stick to that closely, otherwise my hair will bother me, and it's not allowed to. ;) :lol:

-Fern
March 14th, 2015, 04:59 PM
*hefting the two-foot long fresh aloe leaf in the grocery store* Is this a better investment than buying the bottled aloe gel...? :hmm: Can I use it all before it goes bad?

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 05:05 PM
*hefting the two-foot long fresh aloe leaf in the grocery store* Is this a better investment than buying the bottled aloe gel...? :hmm: Can I use it all before it goes bad?

yeah, I've been planning to go the Latino store to buy scotchineal juice which they drink because 'prickly pear oil' on the internet is beyond belief expensive and I'm hoping the juice is as good as the oil.

meteor
March 14th, 2015, 05:06 PM
On a very similar note, explaining to your husband that yes, you want to follow that very louche looking Haitian woman into a back alley in Brooklyn with your mutual credit card and use it to buy a concoction she wants to sell you in a re-used liquor bottle because it is the real true homemade l'huile masketi (aka Jamaican black castor oil). He didn't let me. Only my mother understood why I was provoked about this (because even the not very authentic black castor oil on Amazon.com grew her bald spots back in, yes, actually clean bald spots).

Sorry for OT, but I wonder how is the preparation or effectiveness of Haitian huile mascreti different from JBCO? Is there a specific difference in processing/refinement? And is this "huile mascriti/masketi" the same as "huile de carapate"?
I can't even pin down the exact difference in effectiveness on hair/scalp between JBCO vs. cold-pressed castor oil - except that maybe those ashes added back to JBCO make a positive difference, even though JBCO is heat-processed, which is generally not desirable for pure oils? :hmm: Or maybe even the sourcing of the castor beans matters?

Elly May
March 14th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Whether or not to spend a hundred and five dollars on a stick.

Hahhahhahaahhaaa!!!! Love this one! I'm just getting used to spending $40 for a fork!

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Sorry for OT, but I wonder how is the preparation or effectiveness of Haitian huile mascreti different from JBCO? Is there a specific difference in processing/refinement? And is this "huile mascriti/masketi" the same as "huile de carapate"?
I can't even pin down the exact difference in effectiveness on hair/scalp between JBCO vs. cold-pressed castor oil - except that maybe those ashes added back to JBCO make a positive difference, even though JBCO is heat-processed, which is generally not desirable for pure oils? :hmm: Or maybe even the sourcing of the castor beans matters?

I believe that Jamaican black castor oil and Haitian huile masketi/mascreti/palma christi are exactly the same thing, but being neither Jamaican nor Haitian I can't swear to it. (I have never heard of l'huile carapate and am not sure what that is). Plain old organic castor oil is supposed to very good for your hair but the burnt ashes in JBCO are supposed to be extra efficacious. I don't know if organic castor oil grows hair back but I have been a believer in JBCO ever since my mom took off her wig and showed me her truly destroyed hair, clean and shiny bald patches not only at the side edges but on the crown, a large bald shiny spot (from hair extensions for years and years) and we started to use JBCO on them, nothing else and she grew the hair back and now you not only cana't tell but it's about 2 2/2 years later and she's got 6 or 8 inches growth, its not baby hair or anything. And she had been trying to just not be bald there for several years previously and been to the dermatologist, everything. she had been told that it was hopeless, not just because of how the baldness looked but her age, over 80 at the time.

What I meant in my post was just that, we were buying the JBCO on the internet, not from a Jamaican person who had made it from scratch and its a more refined version than the one the Haitian lady had in a black pot on the street selling it--I don't think the product is different if made the same way, but this was commercial vs. homemade. It certainly smelled stronger and looked smokier than in the bottle, but I don't know how different it was because as I said, my husband dragged me away from the lady by main force and was really shocked that I was even talking to her, much less considering buying. He doesn't speak French so he didn't know what was going on for most of the conversation, which didn't help, and although she looked normal for a Haitian lady that isnt a city person in Haiti, she did look sort of , I don't know, homeless and untrustworthy in a New York setting. She must have had a way to process credit cards though, she did say I could pay with that.

That's the best I can answer your question and I know its not scientific and my mom makes of course a study of exactly one person. and I don't even have photos, she was much too ashamed of her patchy baldness to let me take photos when it was bad and now it doesn't look like there was ever a problem.

meteor
March 14th, 2015, 05:38 PM
^ Thanks so much, chen bao jun! :flowers:
Great to know! :D
Maybe even the freshness of preparation and good sourcing make a huge difference in the quality and results, who knows. For example, I've had very different results from essential oils made by different companies and sourced differently.
Oh, and yes, huile de carapate (http://www.lamanouchka.com/page-946307.html) is possibly the same thing under a different name, since it's supposed to be heat-processed (roasted) with ashes added back and it's popular in the Antilles. I just saw some products under that name (in French) and the description was exactly the same...

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Interesting. So huile de ricin is regular castor oil and huile de carapate is JBCO essentially, according to that article

tokugawa.miyako
March 14th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Whether or not hair toys/accessories you see at the store are strong enough or big enough to hold all your hair....

neko_kawaii
March 14th, 2015, 06:16 PM
yeah, I've been planning to go the Latino store to buy scotchineal juice which they drink because 'prickly pear oil' on the internet is beyond belief expensive and I'm hoping the juice is as good as the oil.

I wouldn't think that Prickly pear juice is going to be processed in a way to extract the oil from the seeds, I'd guess that the seeds will be strained out whole. I've only had the fruit as jellys and syrups, the pads have a slime similar to okra and are used in mud plaster preparations for building. All very tasty. Do tell us it it is any good on hair!

chen bao jun
March 14th, 2015, 07:36 PM
I will. Even the juice is $12 to $15 on the internet, which I want to go to a local store, hoping it will be more reasonable.

I think the juice would be all a person would need, where i was born people wash their hair with the the gel from the leaves in rainwater and have great hair, they are not expressing oil out of the seeds to do anything with. It grows like weeds there, my cousins are all shocked that I would have to PAY for it. I thought I would rinse my hair with it the juice and see if it was any better for after wash rinsing than aloe vera juice, which is what I already use and which is great. And which they sell in Walmart in huge jugs for less than $5 and since a rinse is no more than a cup, cup and a half, lasts for a couple of months or so.

ELLY MAY, be warned, it doesn't take long to get from $40 to $104 for hair toys on LHC.

animetor7
March 14th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Trying not to zip or button my hair into my clothing. Also, remembering to put hair up before starting to knit lest I accidentally make my homemade gifts even more personal. ;)

Aspsusa
March 14th, 2015, 11:49 PM
When going to dentist:
Trying to decide if a low braid or a top-of-the-head bun will be more comfortable.
Wondering whether the top-of-the-head bun will freak out the dentist.

TaterTot
March 15th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Will the hair get caught in a kitchen mixer and decapitate me?

Angela_Rose
March 15th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Trying not to zip or button my hair into my clothing. Also, remembering to put hair up before starting to knit lest I accidentally make my homemade gifts even more personal. ;)

I find sheds in my knitting projects all the time. :(

ashke50
March 15th, 2015, 04:49 AM
When flying, what hairtoy I can wear that isn't metal, doesn't look like it could be used as a weapon, and what style to wear that will be comfortable to sleep in on the plane and easy to redo if necessary.
When doing climbing or outdoor activities, whether I'll need to wear a helmet, and if so how to do my hair so it will fit inside.
When my hair is in a plait, making sure to not get it in the sink when brushing teeth, in my food when eating, or under my back when lying down. Also not knocking things over with the end of the plait, when turning round.

Jorja
March 15th, 2015, 07:38 AM
The logistics of putting on a bra with your hair down.

Lolino
March 15th, 2015, 08:35 AM

Very much this...

And using shoulder-bags or backpacks carefully, so my braids/ponytails or whatever half or fully down style I have that day doesn't get stuck to my shoulder. I've managed to get stuck with my head tilted quite a few times :D

Islandgrrl
March 15th, 2015, 09:44 AM

This makes me crazy.

If I'm wearing a braid: potty scarf. I'm certain no shorthair ever has to think about the potential for a braid tassel disaster of this magnitude.

Also, what do I do with it when I sleep? It's too much to leave loose, hubby won't let me wear a braid to sleep anymore since the middle of the night screaming "I thought my hair was a snake" incident.

How did that 4-foot long hair end up in the spaghetti? Ugh. Even when it's in a bun it seems that shed hairs make their way into unwanted places.

Stepping on the braid in yoga.

And I'm with you all on the creepy hair fondlers. :bigeyes:

Arctic
March 15th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I love reading this thread! I've never had very long hair, so many of these things are something I couldn't have thought, but some of them are things even shorter lengths need to pay attention to (for example, dentist, finding hairs in unwanted places, hair getting caught under backbags and purse straps and in zippers...)

Here's one I think hasn't been mentioned.

Trying to avoid with all cause that your dogs/other animal friends are not consuming your shed hairs, because if they do, there can be some "poop problems" shorthaired people are totally unaware of.

Viola88
March 15th, 2015, 10:05 AM
This happened just last night...in the middle of the night. My cat hissed which is a signal that a hairball is coming up. So I jumped out of bed and got her onto the tile floor for the impeding arrival. After she was done and I was cleaning it up, I wondered did my hair fall into the puke? I had it down and it was definitely hitting the kitchen floor so I had to give it the sniff test. It passed...no wayward puke on my ends.

-Fern
March 15th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Here's one I think hasn't been mentioned.

Trying to avoid with all cause that your dogs/other animal friends are not consuming your shed hairs, because if they do, there can be some "poop problems" shorthaired people are totally unaware of.

:rollin: Haha, yes.... my poor cat must have accidentally eaten a few of my hairs, and though she passed it just fine, the passing itself was a little traumatic for both of us.

Natalina
March 15th, 2015, 11:46 AM
For me personally, nothing except wash days maybe (don't want it to look oily, but also wouldn't want to go out with wet hair). But I think even short-hairs struggle with this sometimes, at least those without blow-dryers/styling tools (a rarity but they exist!).

My hair will just have to deal with me. :p

Sharysa
March 15th, 2015, 01:47 PM
I have to schedule my hair-washes at least a day in advance of needing to be freshly groomed.

And currently I have a college theater performance run--I need pigtails for one character, and loose messy hair for another. I was wearing a giant hoodie for the first character with pigtails (basically the WHOLE PLAY), and then having loose hair in the one scene where I DIDN'T need the hoodie (for a minor character). Ye gods, I was slowly dying of heat-stroke by the end of the play. Thank you, extremely hot stage lights!

VisionOne
March 15th, 2015, 02:07 PM
I don't necessarily know if these two are "weird things" but...

- I know for a fact that longhairs usually think more about the ingredients in various shampoos/conditioners/other hair products than short haired people do. Up until LHC I only washed my hair with whatever shampoo I had at home but now I read the ingredient list thoroughly an all my friends thinks I am really silly because of it, haha.

- And of course we think a lot about when and how we are going to wash my hair. I usually wash on thursday night since I have Physical Education in school on wednesdays and thursdays which means I can get away with greasy hair in school. If I wash my hair on thursdays I also have nice looking, non-greasy hair to show off all weekend.

Robot Ninja
March 15th, 2015, 02:17 PM

The logistics of putting on pants with your hair down.

rusika1
March 15th, 2015, 03:52 PM
selecting clothes that don't have zippers, buttons, or hook-and-eye fasteners in back. If you wear a necklace, having to tear nape hairs out when they get caught in the clasp.

Do you suppose nopales (cactus paddle) gel would work like AVG?

-Fern
March 15th, 2015, 04:44 PM
selecting clothes that don't have zippers, buttons, or hook-and-eye fasteners in back. If you wear a necklace, having to tear nape hairs out when they get caught in the clasp.

I think that's what Chen was saying she wants to try (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130284&page=4&p=2966822&viewfull=1#post2966822)... hadn't heard it called scotchineal before. Maybe I misunderstood, though.

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Yep, nopales, scotchineal, prickly pear, is the same thing. Great f or hair (and blood preSsure, say my relatives )

Aspsusa
March 16th, 2015, 12:25 AM

Indeed. If it's socks I usually just let them be, figure they probably give extra strength.

This. I only struggle with this when I have wet/damp hair (since it is always up otherwise), but it is such a pain.
My preferred technique right now is doing one breast at a time, with the hair over the other shoulder.

Aurum
March 16th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Knowing exactly where your coccyx is and how to find it. Even knowing WHAT a coccyx is...

swords & roses
March 16th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Having to make sure your ends don't end up in the kitchen sink while washing dishes, or in the bathroom sink while spitting out toothpaste after brushing your teeth.

Feeling bad that you accidentally smacked the cat in the face with wet hair when you bent down to kiss her.

Having a standard operating procedure with vaccuuming, involving taking a box cutter to the beater bar after EVERY use, so as not to kill the vaccuum.

Picking your outfit based on the hair toy you want to wear that day.

Knowing the term "hair toy" and not mistaking it for "hair tie."

Entangled
March 16th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Thinking hard about roller coaster hair. I spent a week at an amusement park, and I can't wear Amish braids every day, so I had to get creative.

truepeacenik
March 16th, 2015, 08:58 AM
When I had cats, the cat poop garland was an issue for them.
So, too, were hairballs that were occasionally red. That particular cat was a licker- of the couch, floors, office chair.

Let's be honest, if your office chair is upholstered, it's got the most sheds.
But I wasnt so very aware as Keesey would clean the fabric.

I have mentioned before about my ex sewing hairs of mine, his would break off and slip out in washing, into the needle and thread part of our dyes. We think the hairs would wrap around the thread, which he carried everywhere, and go into the fabric. Since hair doesn't get dyed well by analine dyes using soda ash, the hairs were still my red color. We'd find them in the unstitching phase.

Being recognized mainly for your hair, so that you use it as a device for others. I'd arrange an interview and say, I have glasses and long red hair.
I'd wear it down with a ponytail or braid (down as in not bunned, opposed to not restrained- there's another one for us) and most people had no trouble recognizing me, even if some dyed Reds were in the same location.
A short haired cohort relied on a very noticeable scarf.
Famously, journalist Helen Thomas wore a red dress every day in the White House press corps because she learned red was Regan's favorite color. He would call on her more if she was in red. Previously, she'd dealt with being passed over as "just a woman."
She kept up the Lady in Red bit for the rest of her career.

lunalocks
March 16th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I still haven't found the right bun to wear to the dentist. How do you all fit your heads into the head holder contraption?

Angela_Rose
March 16th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I still haven't found the right bun to wear to the dentist. How do you all fit your heads into the head holder contraption?

Heidi braids.

arr
March 16th, 2015, 10:30 AM
The weather. Along with activity, it decides what i will do with my hair that day. If i want to wear my hair down it cant be too cold (because the huge hood/hat/scarf will make it pointless), too hot, too windy, too humid or raining at all. Here in Texas, that leaves maybe 10 days a year i can wear my hair down with no problems weather wise.

swords & roses
March 16th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Picking a wad of shed hairs off of the armpits of your wool coat. >_<

Viola88
March 16th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Picking a wad of shed hairs off of the arpits of your qool coat. >_<

Going along this train of thought, looking over towels once they come out of the dryer for hairballs...especially towels destined for guest use.

Anje
March 16th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Ha! This! This is my new struggle since I'm now roughly at classic instead of tailbone. Those few inches make a big difference. :D

I tend to just do a low braid and I try to hold onto it. I'm starting to get nervous it's going to hit the ground when they lean me back and then get stepped on or caught in their little chair wheels or something.

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 11:27 AM

I come into the dentist office with a braided bun/updo, then right before sitting in the dentist chair I take it down and either put the braid to the front over the shoulder or slide the braid under my shirt for it to stay put. (At that point you will usually hear comments like "Where did all that hair come from?", "Your hair is long", etc, etc - so it's a good idea to have a quick answer prepared... I guess that's another "weird thing longhairs have to think about that shorthairs don't" :lol: )

MINAKO
March 16th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Thinking hard about roller coaster hair. I spent a week at an amusement park, and I can't wear Amish braids every day, so I had to get creative.

I would wear a low infinity bun and most definitely a hoodie with drawstrings to secure under my chin, lol. I have a favorite wind jacket for that type of activity. Maybe not a very fancy look but you can always quickly remove the hood after leaving the ride and your hair will be perfect.

rags
March 16th, 2015, 12:24 PM
I don't ride roller coasters, but I like Minako's suggestion. I've done a bun with a Buff on top for motorcycle riding in the past.

As for the dentist - I do an English nape braid and pull it forward over my shoulder. When my hair was at TB before and I went in on an emergency visit and didn't put my hair up -part of it fell off the chair and he rolled right over it with the wheels of his little stool! It's been up ever since.

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I don't ride roller coasters, but I like Minako's suggestion. I've done a bun with a Buff on top for motorcycle riding in the past.

As for the dentist - I do an English nape braid and pull it forward over my shoulder. When my hair was at TB before and I went in on an emergency visit and didn't put my hair up -part of it fell off the chair and he rolled right over it with the wheels of his little stool! It's been up ever since.

:bigeyes: Oh my goodness! :grouphug: I winced in pain just reading it - it can pull insanely! How horrible!
Yes, it's critical to keep hair safely contained out of medical personnel's way at all times, for sure.

ositarosita
March 16th, 2015, 12:44 PM

YES .. that's what a lot of women use here (Mexico), they use it as a shampoo or sorts

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Oh my heavens, roller coasters. Even worse, roller coasters in water parks.

Church yesterday -- asked hubby if it was raining, rather not wear hair out (meaning, not in a bun ) if it is.

He's Iike, no its fine to wear your hair out.

Get outside, it's windy. I mean WINDY.

Me to hubby: I thought you said it was fine to wear my hair loose!

Him: It is.

Me: In this wind?

Him: So?

In fairness, he has a hairtype that doesn't move in the wind, lucky him. So he doesn't 'get' what it is to worry about tangles, or to worry about your hair simply looking like a mess. Whatever he does with his, stays. When we met, he had an afro and I had an afro (1970s ) and his was weather proof and also, wash and go. He'd 'pick' and fluff it to get the shape back only if he'd had a hat on or been lying on it so it flattened out.

Mine was not wash and go, I had to create it with with 57 pieces of brown paper as curlers every night, pick at it all day to make it stay 'up' (I used to also spritz the thing periodically with a plant spritzer kept in the pocket of my painter pants, remember those?)and in the slightest puff of wind, forget it. It was gone. It would transform immediately from an afro into frizzy hair blowing around.
Most. Troublesome. Hairstyle. Ever.

By the time we got to church yesterday, my loose hair was all over the place, not to mention, not being able to see at some points with hair over my eyes and in my eyes, (and I was wearing contact lenses, not my glasses), in my mouth, you name it.

And yeah,detangling.

Was very glad my hair had been recently washed and in the miracle water.

Of course my husband dosent 'get' it because of the afro thing, but a lot of short haired people of all hair types romanticize that 'hair blowing in the wind' thing, NO, IT IS NOT LIKE IN THE MOVIES!!!!

Taenarian
March 16th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Let's be honest, if your office chair is upholstered, it's got the most sheds.
But I wasnt so very aware as Keesey would clean the fabric.

A fine name for a cat, truepeacenik!

Not weird to me is trying to explain ACV in a redheaded convo about local water quality and which water we prefer. I believe that topic would go through a shorthair's mind like green corn through the new maid.

swords & roses
March 16th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Going along this train of thought, looking over towels once they come out of the dryer for hairballs...especially towels destined for guest use.

Oh yes! The felted wads of cat+my+DH's hair on all the clean laundry. (We're all long-hairs, here!)

Entangled
March 16th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I would wear a low infinity bun and most definitely a hoodie with drawstrings to secure under my chin, lol. I have a favorite wind jacket for that type of activity. Maybe not a very fancy look but you can always quickly remove the hood after leaving the ride and your hair will be perfect.

That's a neat idea. The hood wouldn't really work for me, as I live in a hot place where jackets are unpleasant, but the covering part sounds nice. I mainly wore braided buns on the top of my head (one or two buns, and not quite high enough for the cherry-on-top effect, but high enough for my head to support it and supply normal force against gravity with minimal pins), milkmaid braids, or a strange diagonal pinned up braid that failed, because my hair was...too long for it! I guess that's a milestone. I wish I could find a better way to pin milkmaid braids, though, because they always feel unstable. I wore them rather hastily, then promptly took them down. I left two braids hanging for my mom, who dislikes my hair constantly up, as she feels it ages me. The last two days I wore Amish braids. I'm still having trouble with the infinity bun. I don't think my hair's at an agreeable length for one.

I guess another long-haired consideration is what type of pins to use on buns. I find straight pins more confortable for braided buns, and use spin pins for unbraided ones, like cinnabuns, and for tucking the ends in on braided Chinese buns. Spin pins hurt if you put too many in at once, and braided buns don't need the extra hold, so I've learned to be more sparing with my spin pins. Most shorthairs I know have no clue how to use straight (u) pins. Most don't know about hair fasteners other that bobby pins and ponytail holders. I know I've learned a lot!

Planning hair on a daily basis so as not to flaunt my hair is one thing new to long hair. When it was short, nothing I could do ourside of my bathroom could improve it, so I left it as is. Now, most hairstyles can be done without a mirror, so it takes a little thought to do my hair securely in advance and not fall into the temptation of redoing in public. I personally don't mind, but there are a lot of people who have an opinion about long hair and I try to minimize hair conversation triggers to ease future tension. I don't know many people who realistically want fingertip length!

LaBeq
March 16th, 2015, 04:00 PM
My hair isn't long enough yet for a lot of these problems, but akin to the comfortable-for-roadtrips issue, I have to keep in mind what style will be most comfortable for sitting in a movie theater. And if I don't think ahead on that, the question is "How much will my 8-year-old niece laugh at my attempt to re-locate my tiny bun to the top of my head while the trailers are playing before the movie starts?"

swords & roses
March 16th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Having to consider what will be least alarming to your clients/patients/customers when choosing a hairstyle & hair accessory.

Hoping you don't shed on anyone!

Quixii
March 16th, 2015, 07:06 PM
If your bun does feel like it's getting loose and you want to redo it, you have to consider whether it'll "make a scene" in your current time/place, and if so, whether you're okay with that.

And some recent comments reminded me; my dentists know how long my hair is because of last minute bun adjustment requirements. :lol: I've done a single braid pulled to my side (definitely not left to drape off the chair; that gets in the way for the dentist!), and top-knots, and neither of those have been perfect, but have been workable. I think next time I'll try hair taping.

MismaMuerte
March 16th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Always having to watch out for tangles >,>

trolleypup
March 16th, 2015, 07:19 PM
The logistics of putting on shoes with you hair down. :(

ETA: Dentist's chair, get in the chair and debun and pull the ponytail over my shoulder...goes under the spray guard.

Roller coasters, Pony Scrub.

veryhairyfairy
March 16th, 2015, 08:28 PM
The logistics of doing anything with your hair down!

Gotta put something in the garbage can? Better catch that hair up before it brushes against the dried on whatnot on the lid.
Feeding the cat-persons? Better catch that hair up before it dips into their water bowl and gets weird kitty saliva water on it.
Gotta pee? Better catch that hair up (potty scarf a la Islandgrrl, even better!).
What about making a sandwich? Better actually BUN that hair up before you end up with a Port Salut and/or mustard treatment on your locks!

I wonder if those long hairs who wear their manes down more are more adept at controlling these things?
(I always feel like there's a wild and malicious monster on my head when it's down. It's been years since I wore it down with any regularity.)

meteor
March 16th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I wonder if those long hairs who wear their manes down more are more adept at controlling these things?
(I always feel like there's a wild and malicious monster on my head when it's down. It's been years since I wore it down with any regularity.)

I bet you are right! :agree:
That's the only downside (I can think of) of learning to put hair up and constantly wearing it up. I'm actually really unaware of my hair getting caught in anything now - as soon as *any* movement is going to be involved, I automatically put hair up, so if I'm ever caught somewhere without any hair accessory at all, I don't even know what I'll do. :scared:
However, I think folks who often wear it down develop a sense of fluid movement with it, like a tail. :)

trolleypup
March 16th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Yes.

How to hold your head, how to toss your head, how to walk to guide your hair away from hazards, how to perform everyday tasks so that you don't sit stand eat catch your hair. mmhmm.

Nadine <3
March 16th, 2015, 10:12 PM
going to the Dr in a topnot? Not a good idea, they can't get a very good height! I added a good two inches with my sock bun! lol oops...I didn't think that one through very well...

DeadlyUnicorn
March 17th, 2015, 02:02 AM
The logistics of doing anything with your hair down!

Gotta put something in the garbage can? Better catch that hair up before it brushes against the dried on whatnot on the lid.
Feeding the cat-persons? Better catch that hair up before it dips into their water bowl and gets weird kitty saliva water on it.
Gotta pee? Better catch that hair up (potty scarf a la Islandgrrl, even better!).
What about making a sandwich? Better actually BUN that hair up before you end up with a Port Salut and/or mustard treatment on your locks!

Haha I wear mine down all the time. Honestly I don't run into those problems very often, maybe it's my hair type or it just isn't long enough? But if I do need it out of the way and I don't have anything to put it up with I'll grab it and kind of twist it while flipping it over my back if that makes any sense.. It seems to help it stay better than just putting it all back flat. Sometimes I'll even put it down my shirt if it's being too annoying :p Basically I think keeping it behind you is key and then pulling it over your shoulder if you're gonna do something like go to the bathroom

veryhairyfairy
March 17th, 2015, 06:27 AM
I bet you are right! :agree:
That's the only downside (I can think of) of learning to put hair up and constantly wearing it up. I'm actually really unaware of my hair getting caught in anything now - as soon as *any* movement is going to be involved, I automatically put hair up, so if I'm ever caught somewhere without any hair accessory at all, I don't even know what I'll do. :scared:
However, I think folks who often wear it down develop a sense of fluid movement with it, like a tail. :)
That totally makes sense to me. :agree: And it really does become a bit of a downside to wearing hair up all the time... things to think about, hm? :)

Yes.

How to hold your head, how to toss your head, how to walk to guide your hair away from hazards, how to perform everyday tasks so that you don't sit stand eat catch your hair. mmhmm.
That's good to know, thanks!

Haha I wear mine down all the time. Honestly I don't run into those problems very often, maybe it's my hair type or it just isn't long enough? But if I do need it out of the way and I don't have anything to put it up with I'll grab it and kind of twist it while flipping it over my back if that makes any sense.. It seems to help it stay better than just putting it all back flat. Sometimes I'll even put it down my shirt if it's being too annoying :p Basically I think keeping it behind you is key and then pulling it over your shoulder if you're gonna do something like go to the bathroom

Your siggy puts you almost exactly at my length, and I feel like I'm watching after a million very curious toddler-snake-spiders when I wear it down! :lol:
It seems like the way to combat that is to start wearing it down more, which I can at least do at home. I'm inspired! :D

brickworld13
March 17th, 2015, 07:05 AM
When you inevitably have to redo your hair style in public, you will seek out the most open space you can find that doesn't have any people in it. But as soon as you start fiddling with hair, it's not so void of people anymore. Slippery hair is a bit on the obnoxious side when it decides that it wants to fall out of a style.

DreamSheep
March 17th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Heehee! I also shove it down my shirt, or wrap it around my tank top straps if it is down and being a problem :p

Arctic
March 17th, 2015, 08:56 AM
This is super interesting to read about The [at least] Two Types of Long Hair Persons: the ones who move as one with their hair (but might damage the hair with friction, etc) and the ones who bun and protect but have lost the intuitive way of moving with hair. Definitely something I would never have thought (as someone who has had short or medium hair all her life), I would have assumed as the hair slowly grows longer people would adjust to it and learn to move with it. Having it up all the time does make sense, now that it was mentioned, that this "tail control" or fluid movement with hair (hair dance?) might be lost. But also, that it's a skill that can be learned (or forgotten), and if a person used to wear their hair down a lot but started to keep it up at some point, and if it's anything like riding a bike, there should be some kind of bodily, kinestic, muscle memory that would soon kick in and one would start once again move with the hair.

chen bao jun
March 17th, 2015, 09:11 AM
I couldn't handle my hair down very well when it was short, I don't mean LHC short (which is still is) but short by any standards. When I have ear length or shoulder length hair, it always feels in my way, I think owing to thickness as well as this 'lightweight' quality it has. It really does just get all over the place and then it STAYS there because of it being an odd combination of afro curly, yet and very 'moveable'.

Its why I cant' stand it when its too short to put up, because I really only wear it down for dates or on sunday mornings. I do not think I will ever learn to handle it down and don't want the fuss of bothering.

Back on long hair issues short haired people don't think about, what about exercise problems, have people mentioned those?

I'm doing yoga right now, its been interesting to get just the right hairstyle, not just contained, but something I can easily lie down with on a mat and be relaxed.

Arctic
March 17th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Oh yes, having a voluminous hair that goes up and out has it's own challenges. It's interesting to read that hair can be both coarse and lightweight, as I think the stereotype of coarse hair is that it's heavy (at least in my mind). Goes to show hair is a wonderful and diverse thing which defies (wo)man-made boxes :)

For yoga, I thought maybe since you like french type braids, a french braid starting from about another ear, going over the top of the head horizontally and ending to the other ear (then braid the rest and maybe bun, or fold the braid back up and pin to the french braid. If you could do this with your thick hair, and you don't have so much asanas where you need to keep the side of your head against the floor, this might work. Assuming the braid and bun (or folded braid) are not so big they are in the way of your movement.

chen bao jun
March 17th, 2015, 09:34 AM
thanks Arctic, why did't I think of that before! I can jsut do my crown braid.

Yep, hair is endless variable and often just defies categorization, that is why this forum is unique, you really see everything possible here and the chances are very good you will 'meet' people who have issues similar to what you think is most wierd about your hair and even if it can't be 'solved' its fun to touch base. :)

Very dense, very coarse AND very lightweight here--think of like a dandelion, except it doesn't blow off and away, stays attached (and thank goodness for that, huh?)

truepeacenik
March 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Ha! This! This is my new struggle since I'm now roughly at classic instead of tailbone. Those few inches make a big difference. :D

I tend to just do a low braid and I try to hold onto it. I'm starting to get nervous it's going to hit the ground when they lean me back and then get stepped on or caught in their little chair wheels or something.
As raggs mentioned, this happens. IN my case, it was a massage therapist who rolled over the ends. I was unaware of how low her table was, as I'd been getting mat work, and lost that proprioceptive edge of receiving on a table.
I have one client with hair nearing this danger zone. I've suggested a low braid, as I can coil her braid in my lap as I do the head work.

A fine name for a cat, truepeacenik!

Not weird to me is trying to explain ACV in a redheaded convo about local water quality and which water we prefer. I believe that topic would go through a shorthair's mind like green corn through the new maid.
The previous cat was Prankster. Both reacted to human consumption of psychedelics, earning their names.

This is super interesting to read about The [at least] Two Types of Long Hair Persons: the ones who move as one with their hair (but might damage the hair with friction, etc) and the ones who bun and protect but have lost the intuitive way of moving with hair. Definitely something I would never have thought (as someone who has had short or medium hair all her life), I would have assumed as the hair slowly grows longer people would adjust to it and learn to move with it. Having it up all the time does make sense, now that it was mentioned, that this "tail control" or fluid movement with hair (hair dance?) might be lost. But also, that it's a skill that can be learned (or forgotten), and if a person used to wear their hair down a lot but started to keep it up at some point, and if it's anything like riding a bike, there should be some kind of bodily, kinestic, muscle memory that would soon kick in and one would start once again move with the hair.

I'd say there's a good base in this assumption. Flyaway alters, springiness and verticality affect, and a new activity would alter proprioception (awareness of the body in space, and in our case, the addition of non nerve filled matter)
In my experience, very few people have good proprioception. Most have dead zones and blind spots in their sense of being in space. (mine is my right shoulder. I'm legally blind on that side, so I miss doorways a lot)
If someone has a dead zone on their scalp, or any body landmark where hair is hitting, awareness of exactly where the hair is likely to be (since we don't feel it the way we feel, say, our arms), is more than the brain can process.

I often dance with my hair down and I use my hair in my dance, so I assume I have a greater awareness/ better guess of where the ends are.
Put me in water and that vanishes. Gravity changes nullify the program my brain runs to follow where that "accessory" is swinging.

omidaverde
March 17th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Calculating how fast hair typically grows then working out how many days it will be until I can expect to have the length of hair I want. My first goal is around 583 days away now...or to be precise, I'll meet it without trimming on October 21 2016.

Quixii
March 17th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I wear my hair up a vast majority of the time, but every now and then I wear it down/mostly down, and then whatever innate or dormant skills of operating-with-hair-down-ness come to life. :) But then I always crack myself up, because the next couple days, even when my hair is back up, I move my head in the same way as I do when it's down. (I'm not sure how to describe it; it's like a head sweep that moves the hair from the back to the front or vice versa, which I do before I sit down and such. I'm sure it looks ridiculous when my hair is up!)

Doreen
March 17th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Checking to see if the wind is below 10mph in order to decide whether I should wear my hair down.

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I wear my hair up a vast majority of the time, but every now and then I wear it down/mostly down, and then whatever innate or dormant skills of operating-with-hair-down-ness come to life. :) But then I always crack myself up, because the next couple days, even when my hair is back up, I move my head in the same way as I do when it's down. (I'm not sure how to describe it; it's like a head sweep that moves the hair from the back to the front or vice versa, which I do before I sit down and such. I'm sure it looks ridiculous when my hair is up!)

I know exactly what you mean! :agree: When I was a teen and had no idea how to put hair up at all, I always had the same head movement thing going on - and every time I'd get a cut or big trim, the head movement with long follow-through would still be there for a while even though the hair was already much lighter and made a shorter "tail". :lol:
It's so liberating now (thank you to LHC! :flowers: ) to be able to put hair up and forget about the tail, he-he!

Auburngirl
March 17th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Whenever I take pics with my boyfriend hugging me, he somehow pulls my hair, without realizing, between his arm and his body and mine, and it hurts, and the pics also ends up looking weird. I keep telling him to be careful when he does that, but he always forgets, so I have to be careful to gather it and lift it up before he gets close to me, and then adjust it. He usually doesn't have patience for this whole process, and neither do the persons who take the pictures, so they usually take some pictures of me fighting with my own hair. Darn! :P

The same goes for every time he hugs me and my long hair is all over the place, and it ends up being trapped and pulled between our bodies, and hurts. Or when he sits down in bed next to me, he almost always ends up sitting on my hair. I have to guard it fiercely, at all times.

Kina
March 17th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I couldn't handle my hair down very well when it was short, I don't mean LHC short (which is still is) but short by any standards. When I have ear length or shoulder length hair, it always feels in my way, I think owing to thickness as well as this 'lightweight' quality it has. It really does just get all over the place and then it STAYS there because of it being an odd combination of afro curly, yet and very 'moveable'.

Its why I cant' stand it when its too short to put up, because I really only wear it down for dates or on sunday mornings. I do not think I will ever learn to handle it down and don't want the fuss of bothering.

Back on long hair issues short haired people don't think about, what about exercise problems, have people mentioned those?

I'm doing yoga right now, its been interesting to get just the right hairstyle, not just contained, but something I can easily lie down with on a mat and be relaxed.

Yoga is the only time you'll catch me with 2 English braids, keeps everything out of the way. I did class once with my hair caught up in a high ponytail, then braided to keep it from getting stuck to me. We did this posture (http://www.bikramyogaposesguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/standing-separate-leg-head-to-knee-pose.jpg) and a bit of my braid tassel got caught between my hands so that when I rlifted my upper body with my arms still over my head, my braid was pointing towards the ceiling. The instructor got a kick out of that.

Also, when doing yoga, how to keep your cat and dog literally out of your hair. My dog thinks that when I do downward dog, it's an invitation and has gotten tangled in my hair.

meteor
March 17th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Yoga is super-easy: just keep hair braided and keep the braid up (braided LWB, for instance) during standing positions and take it down when you need to lie down. Easy!

Some sports can be very tough for long-hairs though because some movements require very tight hairstyling because they don't allow any time or opportunity to readjust hair.

trolleypup
March 17th, 2015, 06:39 PM
Oh yes, I do this from time to time. Doesn't work out so well when the bun is about to fall out and I shoot the stick somewhere and hair goes everywhere. But I spend enough time with hair both up and down that there usually isn't much adjustment.

And you notice when other people do it. Saw someone do the long hair "headtoss" and commented about the big cut...and guessed pretty close on how long the hair used to be.

Daylilly
March 17th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Well for the fist time ever I worried about damage from chlorine in pool water. I forgot to bring oil but I did wet my hair in she shower before going in the pool and rinsed it immediately afterwards. This has never been a thought in my mind before.

EdG
March 17th, 2015, 07:23 PM

Oh yes, I do this from time to time. Doesn't work out so well when the bun is about to fall out and I shoot the stick somewhere and hair goes everywhere. But I spend enough time with hair both up and down that there usually isn't much adjustment.

And you notice when other people do it. Saw someone do the long hair "headtoss" and commented about the big cut...and guessed pretty close on how long the hair used to be.I am experiencing the same thing. After years of wearing my hair down, switching to wearing it up has confused my instinctive push-the-hair-to-the-side-before-sitting-down reflex. I've either pushed my hair aside unnecessarily, or came close to sitting on my hair.
Ed

Crystawni
March 17th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Surgery hair. When I had an operation last year, I actually had to think about what to do with my hair for however long pre- and post-op. I opted for a French braid with a fabric/elastic hairtie. As it turned out, no metal was allowed so the hairtie was a good choice, and my braid held well, even with post-op ickies, prolonged bedrest and sluggishness.

Swimming. Mermaid hair tries to kill you, one sticky strand at a time. Yes, I tried it. Yes, I'm a dummy. So, next I tried buns with acrylic hair sticks, but they didn't hold (especially when swimming underwater--the water just pushes it all out), but have had great success with a cinnabun tucked firmly into a Flexi 8 (XL). Oh, and as mentioned, the other thing with swimming--having to consider pre-oiling (or other protection), as well as after-swimming hair care. "Just going for a quick dip" doesn't compute anymore!

Working out with weights. Hair getting trapped. Yeowch. Containing hair is a PITA as no one style suits, so the braid goes up (folded, pinned with a stick) and down, depending on the particular exercise (bench, bar, floor, etc.).

Aspsusa
March 18th, 2015, 03:33 AM
Swimming. Mermaid hair tries to kill you, one sticky strand at a time.
This made me laugh :D

So, next I tried buns with acrylic hair sticks, but they didn't hold (especially when swimming underwater--the water just pushes it all out), but have had great success with a cinnabun tucked firmly into a Flexi 8 (XL). Oh, and as mentioned, the other thing with swimming--having to consider pre-oiling (or other protection), as well as after-swimming hair care. "Just going for a quick dip" doesn't compute anymore!
I was too lazy to really learn any new ways of putting my hair up for 15+ years, since my usual way works for most thing:

Get a really big barrette. Gather all hair as if for a ponytail, anywhere from top of the head to low works. Twist hair, around-out-up onto the head. Fold the end of the twist, last 10-15 cm or so. Pin this with barrette on head through as much scalp hair as you can get to fit. If barrette is big enough this will hold for days. Here's a pic (http://www.diverse.fi/images/Konstoform_01.jpg), I'm the blonde in the foreground. No guarantee it will look good, though. But it usually holds well when swimming or dancing or doing whatever.

When I had shorter hair I could use a claw-clip for this, but now they are simply not big enough to close properly, and my hair is of the slippery sort when clean and nicely conditioned so it will just give the claw-clip the slip and unravel as soon as I move about a bit.

Earelia
March 18th, 2015, 04:37 AM
If I'm going to be in charge of soup at work I have to wear my hair in a braid or bun instead of a pony. Otherwise my ends will become a snack for me later on. Not to mention for my customers. Not a good thing...

Hairkay
March 18th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I'm so thankful for swimming caps. Before that trying to swim freestyle was more like drowning. Every time I turned my head up to catch a breath the hair that had unravelled from braid and hair band would all go in my mouth so I'd get lots of hair and water.

My sis got fed up one summer. She turned up at my place with her hair just one inch long. I'd been used to seeing her with waist long dreadlocks so I asked what happened. She said it was too hot and she wanted to swim. That hair wasn't going to fit in a swimming cap so she cut it all off. She reasoned it would grow back anyway. It did eventually.

swords & roses
March 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Gotta make sure the hair is clear of the paper shredder! ;)

Auni
March 18th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Surgery hair. When I had an operation last year, I actually had to think about what to do with my hair for however long pre- and post-op. I opted for a French braid with a fabric/elastic hairtie. As it turned out, no metal was allowed so the hairtie was a good choice, and my braid held well, even with post-op ickies, prolonged bedrest and sluggishness.

Swimming. Mermaid hair tries to kill you, one sticky strand at a time. Yes, I tried it. Yes, I'm a dummy. So, next I tried buns with acrylic hair sticks, but they didn't hold (especially when swimming underwater--the water just pushes it all out), but have had great success with a cinnabun tucked firmly into a Flexi 8 (XL). Oh, and as mentioned, the other thing with swimming--having to consider pre-oiling (or other protection), as well as after-swimming hair care. "Just going for a quick dip" doesn't compute anymore!

Working out with weights. Hair getting trapped. Yeowch. Containing hair is a PITA as no one style suits, so the braid goes up (folded, pinned with a stick) and down, depending on the particular exercise (bench, bar, floor, etc.).

Oh hospital hair! I've worked in the ICU before I transferred to the ER, and I feel SO bad for some of the people with long hair that just becomes one big matt! Me and a few other nurses were the only ones that would take the time to oil/condition the heck out of it and try to salvage it:( Some of the nurses and I have an understanding that should we ever be in a situation of prolonged immobility/ intubation, french braids will be done ASAP! My DH and mother also knows this!

TrapperCreekD
March 18th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Most likely needing a custom from ____ toymaker because, yes, the toy in question will hold up your hair, but you'd like it to be long enough to show off the pretty wood/material.

meteor
March 18th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Oh hospital hair! I've worked in the ICU before I transferred to the ER, and I feel SO bad for some of the people with long hair that just becomes one big matt! Me and a few other nurses were the only ones that would take the time to oil/condition the heck out of it and try to salvage it:( Some of the nurses and I have an understanding that should we ever be in a situation of prolonged immobility/ intubation, french braids will be done ASAP! My DH and mother also knows this!

Ooo you guys have hearts of gold! :thudpile: Very kind of you! :love: You are like long-hair angels to take immediate care of other people's hair when they have mobility problems! :heartbeat Everybody knows how super-busy nurses are in hospitals, so it's amazingly kind to take that time and effort! :applause

Sarahlabyrinth
March 18th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Having to put hair in a bun before cleaning the toilet - or putting wood on the fire - or cooking. Also keeping well away from electric fans, pool filter outlets and vacuum cleaners.

MandyBeth
March 18th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Little Minion who has the awesome explosion of curls LOVES to have her hair loose if it's safe enough per Mom standards. It's adorable, so whatever if it's not a hazard to her health, I let her run around with it down. She mostly knows where it is, but she's also not old enough yet to give a care if a few strands get damaged.

Bigger Minion likes her hair down also, but not nearly as much hair.

But I don't care. It's really just long hair that's not on my head. I figure they have to damage it some to decide how concerned they are about it. If it becomes an issue to them, we'll do something different. Until then they are kids and I let them be kids.

Auni
March 18th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Ooo you guys have hearts of gold! :thudpile: Very kind of you! :love: You are like long-hair angels to take immediate care of other people's hair when they have mobility problems! :heartbeat Everybody knows how super-busy nurses are in hospitals, so it's amazingly kind to take that time and effort! :applause

Thank you sweetie!!:crush:

KateMcC
March 18th, 2015, 03:10 PM
I have some major medical issues. After getting my hair caught in a MRI machine years ago, I lost almost five inches of length and had a small bald spot. Now if I'm unable, hubby knows to braid my hair as soon as we get to the hospital.

Sharysa
March 18th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Interesting new posts, you all!

It's so fascinating reading about the "hair down often, knows how to move with it" versus "hair up often, OMG IT'S EVERYWHERE" crowd, although I suspect it's heavily dependent on hair-type as well as length and styling preference.

My hair is thick and wavy, so I have to wear it down at least a couple hours a day to let my scalp breathe (normally when I'm at home). Most of my hair is heavy enough to stay put unless wind happens, or I'm doing lots of physical stuff. Then it's EVERYWHERE.

truepeacenik
March 18th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I am experiencing the same thing. After years of wearing my hair down, switching to wearing it up has confused my instinctive push-the-hair-to-the-side-before-sitting-down reflex. I've either pushed my hair aside unnecessarily, or came close to sitting on my hair.
Ed

Just move like you always have. People might think you are swatting at gnats or what have you, but who cares?
Seriously, it's better to keep the vigilance.
However, it is much easier to cook and eat with both hands, isn't it?

EdG
March 18th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Just move like you always have. People might think you are swatting at gnats or what have you, but who cares?
Seriously, it's better to keep the vigilance.
However, it is much easier to cook and eat with both hands, isn't it?It certainly is! I am now wondering how I managed to have long hair for so many years without ever putting it up. :ponder:
Ed

trolleypup
March 18th, 2015, 10:26 PM
It certainly is! I am now wondering how I managed to have long hair for so many years without ever putting it up. :ponder:
Ed
We kinda wondered about that... ;)

Linguaphilia
March 19th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Something similar has probably been said before, but:
I act really stiff when I need to clean the table off with loose hair, otherwise my hair serves as a mop :p
Same with doing the dishes.

Seeshami
March 19th, 2015, 02:34 AM

Magic.

When braided and deciding to turn you have to check the space bubble for unsuspecting victims. I can smack some one harder with my braid then my hand.

Kate_1221
March 19th, 2015, 03:06 AM
I scorched the ends of my hair a while back when I was stupidly cooking with my hair down, without realizing the ends were long enough to fall into the fire. :P In retrospect, I'm just glad I didn't actually set it on fire, and after a small trim everything is back to the way it's supposed to be. I have implemented a new rule, however: from now on I'm only allowed to cook with my hair in a bun.

Arctic
March 19th, 2015, 04:21 AM
I scorched the ends of my hair a while back when I was stupidly cooking with my hair down, without realizing the ends were long enough to fall into the fire. :P In retrospect, I'm just glad I didn't actually set it on fire, and after a small trim everything is back to the way it's supposed to be. I have implemented a new rule, however: from now on I'm only allowed to cook with my hair in a bun.

That's scary, I'm glad nothing worse happened!

Arctic
March 19th, 2015, 04:21 AM

LOL! (enough text)

Kate_1221
March 19th, 2015, 05:25 AM
That's scary, I'm glad nothing worse happened!

Me too! It definitely taught me a good lesson about carelessness.

TwilightShadow
March 19th, 2015, 06:24 AM

Whoa, glad it wasn't worse! Your story actually reminded me that last year I caught my hair in the epilator when shaving my legs. I had my hair down for air drying; I don't know how I managed to do it, but anyway, a pretty big chunk got stuck between those discs. I didn't want to just cut it all off, so I tried to take out as much as possible, but obviously my ends became thinner and more damaged.

chen bao jun
March 19th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Yes, long hair and fire, I learned about at age 6 when I set my hair on fire when cooking.
Long hair and fire and LHC members is worse because we oil our hair. Its up up up around any kind of flame whatsoever and outdoor even more than indoors because wind changes fire direction.
I also had a friend who lost a friend because of long hair loose in a hottub, got caught in the drain and kept her down and she drowned. My hair is not long enough to do that, but....

TwilightShadow
March 19th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I also had a friend who lost a friend because of long hair loose in a hottub, got caught in the drain and kept her down and she drowned. My hair is not long enough to do that, but....

Oh my God, that's horrible!

Auni
March 19th, 2015, 08:39 AM
When braided and deciding to turn you have to check the space bubble for unsuspecting victims. I can smack some one harder with my braid then my hand.

Thats one of the reason I want super long hair. So I can sport a long thick Laura Croft braid that doubles as a self defense weapon!!:whip:

truepeacenik
March 19th, 2015, 09:31 AM
It certainly is! I am now wondering how I managed to have long hair for so many years without ever putting it up. :ponder:
Ed
Pro tip: restraint device of choice should always be near the kitchen. Tie, toy, bandanna.

Truth! I'm trying to remember if I observed Ed eating with cutlery, compared to chopsticks. My image is of one hand holding back the curtain of hair. Since I eat using both hands with cutlery or chopsticks (I cradle bowls and use the British style for knife and fork), I was amazed. Truly.

Thats one of the reason I want super long hair. So I can sport a long thick Laura Croft braid that doubles as a self defense weapon!!:whip:

A thinner braid with a bead on the end will do. :whistle:
What? My eyes are at "drunken hippie elbow level."
(The downside of the braid as space claimer is in venues allowing smoking. I lost some ends to that. And let's not talk about the spilled beer.....ah, tour)

RedStripe
March 19th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Getting random strands of my hair caught in the hinges of my glasses.

Auburngirl
March 19th, 2015, 04:02 PM
If I'll stain my hair with catnip... will cats start following me around? :p :rolling:

butter52
March 19th, 2015, 04:31 PM

hey that is short hairs pain too :( I hate it!

patienceneeded
March 19th, 2015, 04:41 PM
This thread is awesome! Now it's got me thinking about what I need to do with my hair when I make the 8-hour car journey to Idaho at the end of next week. I had already planned on washing it at home before leaving (soft water) so I wouldn't need to wash it during my 3-days in Idaho (hard water).

For those who henna - looking ahead at the calendar to schedule a day available to henna your hair. When can I spend the entire day indoors...?

Arctic
March 19th, 2015, 04:56 PM

And keeping a hairfriendliness as one criteria when choosing new frames!

nakima
March 19th, 2015, 05:46 PM
remembering to pull my hair back when getting ready to cook and also I cannot wear faux leather because my hair hair is fine and it feels like it's sticking to it. I can't stand that feeling.

EdG
March 19th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Truth! I'm trying to remember if I observed Ed eating with cutlery, compared to chopsticks. My image is of one hand holding back the curtain of hair. Since I eat using both hands with cutlery or chopsticks (I cradle bowls and use the British style for knife and fork), I was amazed. Truly.I use both, although I do better with a fork.

For some reason, my hair seems to behave at its worst when I go to restaurants. I don't normally need to hold back my hair when I eat at home. :ponder:
Ed

Sharysa
March 20th, 2015, 12:59 PM
I'm in a performance run right now, and last night while I needed to take my hair out of its pigtails for a scene where I need it loose. I'd spaced out for what I thought was a few seconds, BUT SUDDENLY THE MUSIC IS ON and then I realized my entrance was in about thirty seconds, so I changed my shirt and started taking down my pigtails.

Typically, that was when my hair decided it wanted to stay in braids. I would have only been a couple seconds late, but I was mentally (and probably verbally) swearing very hard and trying not to panic with my hair half-undone because seconds matter a LOT in theater. So one of my friends very kindly started undoing my other braid along with me. :D

YAY, ENTRANCE WAS ON TIME AND I WILL NEVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN.

This wouldn't have been a problem if my hair was about half a foot shorter, and my hair's not even unusually long--it's hip length.

gwenalyn
March 20th, 2015, 02:24 PM
The tip of my high, braided ponytail has just started rubbing between my back and the back of the car seat. I don't think I'd ever have noticed if not for LHC, but now ... it's SO annoying.

missblueeyes
March 20th, 2015, 03:01 PM
The tip of my high, braided ponytail has just started rubbing between my back and the back of the car seat. I don't think I'd ever have noticed if not for LHC, but now ... it's SO annoying.

Braids rubbing against something in general. It's hard to believe that it's better to wear hair braided then loose with the amount of friction that they have to go through .. :rolleyes:

Entangled
March 20th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I think the friction is around the same, but braiding reduces my tangles a LOT, which reduces mechanical damage when I detangle. Ease of detangling makes me happy, and makes long hair seem like much less of a hassle!

LeMimi13
March 20th, 2015, 03:16 PM
I wish I could avoid rubbing, but I cant seem to find a aay to put my hair up without any pain:/

kganihanova
March 20th, 2015, 09:00 PM
For those who henna - looking ahead at the calendar to schedule a day available to henna your hair. When can I spend the entire day indoors...?

Yessssssss. Always.

Entangled
March 21st, 2015, 09:08 AM
Trying to wash your hair before it gets super late. Since I air dry, it takes a solid eight hours to be almost dry if I don't touch it and comb it out. I need air circulation for it to dry properly, which I normally provide by running my hands through my hair. Even if I do a scalp only wash, my har will probably be slightly damp the next morning, as sleeping with soaking wet hair makes my scalp upper itchy the next day. So, I have to make sure my hair has time to airdry a little before I sleep, so as to avoid the itchies.

chen bao jun
March 21st, 2015, 09:13 AM
Did some one else write scissors happy hair dressers?

If you have short hair and someone takes off too much you can be back to normal in a few months. Not so if you have long hair (and if you have long curly hair in a few seconds literally YEARS of patient waiting can be lying on the floor ).

Also, wearing a wig!

It's a job to get my hair t o all fit under one when I want to costume up.

Echileruwen
March 26th, 2015, 01:57 AM
Whether or not the person behind you will roll down the window while you're going down the highway. Somebody did that to me the other day, and the ends of my hair went out the window. Talk about tangles! shudder:

Remi
March 26th, 2015, 04:39 AM
I don't have to worry about my hair rubbing along my hoodie shirts anymore because it's always up. But, then, how did I manage to get my hair so long before, when I always wore it down?

Verdandi
March 26th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Issues I never had when sporting a bob: What do do with my hair when sleeping at a new place (I'm back in the dating jungle, it's terrifying!).... I obviously can't wear my sleeping cap (Don't want to scare the poor guy away the first thing I do), and I look like a dork with a bun at the top of my head. I usually settle for a braid, but when sharing bed with someone, they have some kind of amazing magic ability to get stuck under that specific person...

Seeshami
March 26th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Muffin thinks my sleep cap is cute and he likes it Because it keeps his highness from tickling Muffin while we sleep. Mess tortures everyone

rags
March 26th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Yes, I doubt short hairs have to worry about their hair strangling them or their Significant Other in their sleep, as mine regularly tries to do when loose (and sometimes braided). Thus mine too lives in a sleep cap.

Oh, and I seriously doubt they've ever had the dubious pleasure of laughing so hard you doubled over, with loose hair and thereby INHALING their own hair right down. (Very fine, floaty hair likes to get EVERYWHERE). That was fun.

AspenSong
March 26th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Here's a weird one - Leaning over to clean a kitty box with your hair down and not thinking, hey....my hair is long enough if it falls over my shoulder, it'll be IN the kitty box.

Yeah. It's happened. :rolleyes:

Simple things like that, totally different when you've got long hair and it may be down for the moment. I have a tendency after washing and while my hair is drying a bit, to do something like that and clean the litter box or sweep up the floor and bend over to get it in a dustpan...and plop, there's my hair, all on the floor/in whatever I'm doing.

young&reckless
March 26th, 2015, 05:52 PM

And that's when I know to trim soon.

Arctic
March 26th, 2015, 06:45 PM
I just pulled from my hair when taking my sweater off.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 26th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Issues I never had when sporting a bob: What do do with my hair when sleeping at a new place (I'm back in the dating jungle, it's terrifying!).... I obviously can't wear my sleeping cap (Don't want to scare the poor guy away the first thing I do), and I look like a dork with a bun at the top of my head. I usually settle for a braid, but when sharing bed with someone, they have some kind of amazing magic ability to get stuck under that specific person...

I didn't spend the night at my SO's place until I had told him that I wear a sleeping cap. He was ok with knowing that. It took quite some time before he saw the sleeping cap - and he thought it was really cute, so I had no problems from then on...

chen bao jun
March 26th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Which ficcare to wear today.

teddygirl
March 26th, 2015, 09:25 PM
I love this thread haha. The other day I leaned over the dinner table to get something and my hair brushed across a plate of food. GROSS. I switched the plates so I had the hair one lol. Luckily SO didn't mind...that much...

EdG
March 26th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Updo malfunction. ;)
Ed

Nadine <3
March 26th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Yes, I doubt short hairs have to worry about their hair strangling them or their Significant Other in their sleep, as mine regularly tries to do when loose (and sometimes braided). Thus mine too lives in a sleep cap.

Oh, and I seriously doubt they've ever had the dubious pleasure of laughing so hard you doubled over, with loose hair and thereby INHALING their own hair right down. (Very fine, floaty hair likes to get EVERYWHERE). That was fun.

THE HAIR INHALING THING...I do this. A lot. I'll be talking really excited to someone and start choking and the other person will be like "What what, what's wrong" and then I'm like "MY HAIR CHOKED ME."

Aurum
March 26th, 2015, 11:13 PM
I hate when I go to pull a stray hair off my arm/shirt and it turns out... nope, not a stray. *owwww*

Verdandi
March 27th, 2015, 07:52 AM
I didn't spend the night at my SO's place until I had told him that I wear a sleeping cap. He was ok with knowing that. It took quite some time before he saw the sleeping cap - and he thought it was really cute, so I had no problems from then on...

The guy I'm currently dating knew about the sleeping cap, he found it once and put it on (He looked like an adorable, 6,6 feet silky mushroom...), but I'm not ready to enter the adorable mushroom state in this relationship just yet ;)
How great that your SO is okay with you wearing yours though :)

DreamSheep
March 27th, 2015, 08:05 AM
The guy I'm currently dating knew about the sleeping cap, he found it once and put it on (He looked like an adorable, 6,6 feet silky mushroom...), but I'm not ready to enter the adorable mushroom state in this relationship just yet ;)

Mine hates it! :p
Though I can't get it to work on me anyway...

Angela_Rose
March 27th, 2015, 09:25 AM

A silky mushroom, huh? :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

I've thought of something else- we worry about seams in our combs.

brickworld13
March 27th, 2015, 09:35 AM
A silky mushroom, huh? :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows:

I've thought of something else- we worry about seams in our combs.

And file the seams on said combs.

We also have a good working knowledge of how to take care of various hair toy materials. Bone, horn, many different woods, plastic, glass, metal, and even some fabrics.

If you're a henna head who doesn't like mess, you might be like me. I taught myself how to wrap myself in plastic wrap so that when I go to shower off the splatter I inevitably get on my back and neck, there is much less precious henna going down the drain.

Anje
March 27th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Here's a weird one - Leaning over to clean a kitty box with your hair down and not thinking, hey....my hair is long enough if it falls over my shoulder, it'll be IN the kitty box.

Yeah. It's happened. :rolleyes:

Simple things like that, totally different when you've got long hair and it may be down for the moment. I have a tendency after washing and while my hair is drying a bit, to do something like that and clean the litter box or sweep up the floor and bend over to get it in a dustpan...and plop, there's my hair, all on the floor/in whatever I'm doing.

So much this. I've learned the hard way that hair must be bunned or stuffed down my shirt (braids too!) when doing litter duty (doodie?). Blech!

Seeshami
March 27th, 2015, 11:38 AM
EdG, Especially when your hair monster flings and hits someone with your hair stick!

The naughty mess says, "it was an ugly stick. I thought the person would want it"

IT WAS A GLASS ROSE!

EdG
March 27th, 2015, 11:49 AM
EdG, Especially when your hair monster flings and hits someone with your hair stick!

The naughty mess says, "it was an ugly stick. I thought the person would want it"

IT WAS A GLASS ROSE!As updo malfunctions go, that sounds spectacular. :lol:
Ed

meteor
March 27th, 2015, 01:36 PM
THE HAIR INHALING THING...I do this. A lot. I'll be talking really excited to someone and start choking and the other person will be like "What what, what's wrong" and then I'm like "MY HAIR CHOKED ME."

You know, the cool thing is, I think this annoying problem kind of solves itself at greater length... ;) The last time I inhaled my hair was around BSL-ish? Thank goodness, it gets harder to inhale those ends when they hang very low (unless you wrap your hair around your neck or do a comet-bun/knot-pony or something...) :)

chen bao jun
March 27th, 2015, 07:36 PM
my hair is floaty and annoys me but I've never inhaled it. I get in my eyes (not fun with contact lenses) and in my mouth, but it's never gone into my nose.

I think only LHC long hairs get to explain over and over and over again that it's possible to prefer long hair because you like to wear it UP. Down =in the way to some of us and is NOT the default.

rags
March 27th, 2015, 10:31 PM
You know, the cool thing is, I think this annoying problem kind of solves itself at greater length... ;) The last time I inhaled my hair was around BSL-ish? Thank goodness, it gets harder to inhale those ends when they hang very low (unless you wrap your hair around your neck or do a comet-bun/knot-pony or something...) :)

Mine is at almost hip. My last incident of inhaling it was maybe a couple of months ago? Baby fine hair FLOATS, ya'll! I am usually bent forward with it hanging forward when it happens.

Chen, I inhale it through my mouth - and it goes right down. I have had to PULL it out before. It's horrifying.

Elizabeth E
May 8th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Having to drape your hair over the edge of the sofa instead of just sitting back onto it, for fear of friction.
Having to plan at least fifteen minutes for a fishtail braid.
And then the dentist one, of course. I'm lucky that my hair can compress into a pretty flat cinnamon bun which doesn't feel uncomfortable against the chair. Still, you might want to check that your hair pins are not stuck in too close to your scalp, otherwise they hurt.

ravenskey
May 8th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Shuting hair in draws, cupboards etc.

Slamming a book on it - this really hurts btw - though that might be because my definition of a long book is at least 800/900 pages.

nycelle
May 8th, 2018, 01:44 PM
I hope my hair doesn't cause my dogs poo to get stuck again. Pulling it slowly out is no fun.

Pumpkin3826
May 8th, 2018, 03:11 PM
I actually removed the head rest's in my car and put them in "back wards" because they were preventing me from wearing my hair in a bun.. Mine are strange and angle forward, they don't go straight up and down. So now they angle backwards which will still save my neck if I get in a crash but I can now happily wear a bun. :o

ravenskey
May 8th, 2018, 03:29 PM
The difficulty of finding a hat that fits :(

Starchild494
May 8th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Making sure my hair doesn't get caught in the car door... Have had that happen, drive over an hour with a chunk on my hair flying in the high speed winds... It was awful! :sad:

cjk
May 8th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Hairstyles as part of your overall look...free, bunned, braided, etc.

AutobotsAttack
May 8th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Putting bras on. I have to put my hair up, or swing it to a side in order to get my bra on if it’s down or air drying and I’m getting dressed.

Jacket zippers. Definitely jacket zippers.

Jo Ann
May 8th, 2018, 10:06 PM
What to do with long hair when it's down and you have to *ahem!* avail yourself of the facilities (go to the bathroom)... :shocked: I don't know about you, but I wrap mine around my neck like a scarf... :p

neko_kawaii
May 8th, 2018, 10:21 PM
The first updo of the morning: something quick so I can get dressed. Once dressed I do my hair. Of course, many a day I don’t give a damn if putting my shirt on messes up my hair, but it is so much easier to toss it up temporarily before dressing than try to dress around it.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 8th, 2018, 10:38 PM
I keep my sleep cap on until I am dressed and ready to do my hair :) Otherwise getting dressed is impossible....

MusicalSpoons
May 9th, 2018, 08:45 AM
What to do with long hair when it's down and you have to *ahem!* avail yourself of the facilities (go to the bathroom)... :shocked: I don't know about you, but I wrap mine around my neck like a scarf... :p

I do too! Though it's at an awkward length that isn't quite long enough to go around twice and stay there by itself, but it's too long for the remaining unwrapped hair to hang down unsupervised :oops: (over the front or the back of my shoulder!)

I've recently learned that new hairtoys need to be given a once-over before trying to use them, to check for rough patches. I'm not sure many short-haired people own sandpaper for the sole purpose of preserving their hair :grin:

neko_kawaii
May 9th, 2018, 08:53 AM
I do too! Though it's at an awkward length that isn't quite long enough to go around twice and stay there by itself, but it's too long for the remaining unwrapped hair to hang down unsupervised :oops: (over the front or the back of my shoulder!)

I've recently learned that new hairtoys need to be given a once-over before trying to use them, to check for rough patches. I'm not sure many short-haired people own sandpaper for the sole purpose of preserving their hair :grin:

Tuck the ends into the wrapped part.

leayellena
May 9th, 2018, 09:54 AM
S&D, self microtrims, yearly or twice a year trims, saving money because you don't go to hairdressing salon every month or twice per year, using a bowl with water and conditioner to condition your floor length hair (recommended by gossamer p), scalp wash, through it into a Nautilus first, dress, then do your hair, waiting for your hair to dry (more like still damp) and bun it or braid it for sleep but wake up with wet/damp hair, wearing more crown braids in winter because you can't tuck the beanie if you wear a beak clip (lol)

Glitch
May 9th, 2018, 02:59 PM
I often re-think the way my hair will lay while I'm sleeping, since I don't want it to strangle me during the night :p

Kat
May 10th, 2018, 08:07 AM

Hehe, yes! Or, when I used to wear mine in two braids every day, I'd wrap them around my neck in opposite ways and tie a knot, lol.

njrb
May 13th, 2018, 10:43 AM
The difficulty of finding a hat that fits :(

Most of these have applied to me, but this one was particularly frustrating for a while.

Kat
May 13th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Swing of hair. Especially since I usually keep mine in one or two braids. Am I going to take out the person next to me at dance class? If I jump rope, is the braid going to swing and hit the rope and stop it? (Yes, I have this problem. It's very annoying because if I just want to do a quick jump-rope workout, I have to completely re-do my hair in some style that will both keep it out of the way of the rope and hold up to the constant jumping up and down... there isn't much that makes the cut and none of the options are quick to do...)

egcmi
May 13th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Jacket zippers. Definitely jacket zippers.

THIS.

And if your hair is loose, having to put it up before eating lest it gets on your plate and in the food.

CeramicUnicorns
May 13th, 2018, 06:42 PM
I have to wear my hair up to change my baby’s diaper so I don’t get poop in it. Lol!

CeramicUnicorns
May 13th, 2018, 06:42 PM
I feel like I get food in my hair EVERY time I eat with it down!

Crystawni
May 13th, 2018, 06:48 PM
When my hair is down it pools in my lap, so no worries with eating and hairfoodz now. But changing nappies (diapers) and doing dishes, and feeding the animals--anything where I'm bending over a bit... Yup. No. Hair containment of some kind is a must.

MlleMC
May 14th, 2018, 08:48 AM

I just tuck it in my bra. It's much more secure than wrapped around my neck (which I only do when I'm not wearing a bra).

MusicalSpoons
May 14th, 2018, 08:59 AM
That's a good suggestion, MilleMC, but generally the only times my hair is loose are when I'm not wearing a bra - just before bed, in the morning before getting dressed, or about to get in the shower. And any other occasional, random time, I'm usually wearing so many layers of clothing anyway that I can't actually reach the bra without undressing :lol:

MlleMC
May 14th, 2018, 09:08 AM
That's a good suggestion, MilleMC, but generally the only times my hair is loose are when I'm not wearing a bra - just before bed, in the morning before getting dressed, or about to get in the shower. And any other occasional, random time, I'm usually wearing so many layers of clothing anyway that I can't actually reach the bra without undressing :lol:

To be fair, I mostly use this for braids, I don't really wear my hair down anymore except to sleep.

Milady_DeWinter
May 14th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Braiding before going to bed so it won't be caught on my bf :lol:

MusicalSpoons
May 14th, 2018, 11:39 AM
To be fair, I mostly use this for braids, I don't really wear my hair down anymore except to sleep.

Ah, fair enough :) On the (again, rare) occasion I have a braid down, I tuck the ends in like neko_kawaii (I think?) suggested upthread.

... So, in short, weird things longhairs have to consider: how to tie their hair around their neck :laugh:

HaMalka
May 14th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Not stepping on their own hair when its down.

humble_knight
May 14th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Does it gross people out if they find a long hair, or short hair, in their food? Or a curly-wurly that could be from......somewhere other than the scalp!

Todd
May 14th, 2018, 01:37 PM
A couple times recently I've caught my hair in my shoelaces while tying them. A problem short-haired people don't have unless they're wearing their shoes on their head.