PDA

View Full Version : Flat-Hair Help

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 07:48 AM
I'm going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding tomorrow, and can't figure out what to do with my hair. It's fine, straight, & slippery. While I can get updos to look nice from the back, they look flat & wimpy from the side and especially from the front, which is the angle most will see it during the wedding. I tried this style (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FHrqzXnxXY), but the finger-teasing didn't add any volume, and my hair is too damage-prone for me to want to risk backcombing. So the pretty, romantic updo looked almost 1800s school marm on me. I'd like to wear a small flexi tomorrow, since it coordinates with the wedding colors, but it has long dangles on it, so wearing my hair loose or in a ponytail won't work. I also lack the skills to french or dutch braid my own hair. And my hair won't hold curls. Teflon hair is nice for wearing it down day-to-day, but becomes a challenge when it comes time to do something to it!

Thoughts?

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Oh my, tomorrow already?

You might have seen me mention this hair product called hair powder, I've been writing a lot about it. It's perfect for fine, slippery hair. It gives both volume and grip, the latter helps your style to stay and also makes your buns/braid/hairdos look bigger. It gives lift to the roots and body allover, but you can also use it on roots only.

It's like a teasing in a bottle, but non-damaging. It works by making the hair grippy and more texturized (so definitely leaves hair feeling product-y, that's a minus for many). It's long lasting, and you just have to fluff your hair if it starts to go flat. I found the learning curve really easy, and used it successfully on my first try.

I would really recommed something like that to help the front of your hair stay in whatever style you'd like, but since it's tomorrow already I wouldn't be comfortable myself to use a new product on a big day, without practicing with it.

But if you happen to have that, or dry shampoo, or salt spray at hand, all of these products would help your hairstyle to stay and would give some volume. I wouldn't rely on teasing, I used to have fine and slippery hair and teasing just glide out of my hair in 15 minutes.

Maybe some halfup style? Kate Middleton has often worn her her hair in good loking halfups. Or some vintage inspired styling in the front? Not neccessary full blown vintage style, but inspired. Like taking your side hair, twist once, push forward a little bit and pin with bobby pins (so that the pins are hidden under hair). Do same with both sides, and with maybe a small poof in the front/top too, maybe with side part and making the top poof off-centre a little?

PS: that's a nice style you posted! Would it help if you would gently tug the rolls bigger and the hair against your scalp slightly looser for volume?

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 08:15 AM
No product in the house, and no time to go get anything. And I know what you mean about the teasing. I did the finger teasing, put my hair up & pinned like crazy, took it down, and could STILL run my fingers throught it from root to tip! ;) I think the danglies on the flexi would still catch with a half-up, unfortunately. My perma-part won't let me do a front poof, but side poofs have potential. Good suggestion!

Anje
March 13th, 2015, 08:30 AM
No hair powder and you can't run out.... Um... Anyone using cocoa powder as dry shampoo want to weigh in on how grippy it makes hair? That might work and it'll blend with your brown hair more than a white powder.

brickworld13
March 13th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Cocoa powder is very grippy. But I think your best bet is to damp the front of your hair and purposely brush it forward. Let it dry. Then add the powder so it grips itself better and won't fall out of your style.

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Just throwing some ideas ...

Can you do a side part or does or natural part prevent that? If you can, and normally wear a center part, for example, a side part would look chic and add little something.

Another thing that would work with your hairtype, would be a take on the bohemian look. If you would do one, or two ( or more? depending your hair thickness/denseness) accent braids on each sides (no need to french braid), and then a bun or tuck at the back, and pin the accent braids around the bun? That would add visual interest to the sides and probably how it would look like from the front too.

Or, maybe you could try making one of those pretty flower like swirls from your accent braids at the sides? I think rope braids would work nicely, but this video uses 3-strand braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfaRPoOiCq8). I am imagining a side part, and on the side of your head where the part is, there would be maybe 3 small ones of those "flowers", or one bigger, then your hair pulled back into a side bun or normal bun (or tuck).

Or, since it's wedding, same idea as above, but with braid heart :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpzPpZguCDo

And, see how Lilith Moon gently pulls her twist to make them look bigger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmZR-PlJ_AU

ETA: I just saw a video few days ago where the scalp hair was also gently pulled in similar way, in similar updo, which made the hairstyle look more romantic and soft, and prevented scalp cleavage too. But I could not find that or any other videos showing how to right now. But the method is similar to the one I posted above. When your hairdo is done (or at shorter intervals while you do it) gently grab some hair that is against the scalp flat, and pull it liiiitle bit to make it a bit looser. Do the same all over the hair do's scalp areas, if that makes sense (or where you want it). Start with tiny tug, you can always tug a bit more. This makes the hair against scalp look softer and not glued on scalp, and at least on me helps with any scalp cleavage issues.

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Salt spray can be DIYed in a pinch, that would give some grip too.

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Oh, and if you have problems with a side part, for example, making the part as you would like it when the hair is very wet after shower helps it to dry in place.

tiny squirrel
March 13th, 2015, 09:29 AM
My hair isn't fine, but it is slippery and resists forced volume. I feel your pain. Here's a thought: can you dutch braid? Try parting down the middle and creating two dutch pigtails. Cross them in the back and then wrap into one bun (kinda the way you wrap and pin a vortex bun). This style always gives me a little bit of interest in the front, especially if you keep the pigtails closer to the front/nearer to your hairline. You can also do two lace side braids. The picture below is of lace rope braids into a bun, but the concept is the same. Whatever you decide, I wish you a most excellent hair day. Good luck to you!

http://manouvellemode.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_8895.jpg

Source: http://manouvellemode.com/2014/06/27/24-ways-wear-braids/

tiny squirrel
March 13th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Here's how I learned to lace rope braid. It's a great tutorial. https://youtu.be/OY-57_-UJkg

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Tiny Squirrel, your choise of tutorial goes to show once again how differently we are all wired (brains) and how someone's easy is someone's difficult. I have to say the tutorial wasn't very clear at all to me, and she lost my attention before she even started.

When doing a french rope braid (or a lace version) you don't have to twist the strands around themselves, like you have to do when braiding regular rope braid (non-french). It's enough to twist the 2 strands around eachother. Ofcourse there is not one right way, but to me that looked like unnecessary extra steps, which made the actually really easy french rope braid seem much more difficult, and I'd choose a different tutorial for beginners. This comes from someone who can already do this braid, I am just putting myself into the beginner's shoes.

The hairstyle you posted does look very nice and pretty, I would just make the "french" part of the rope braid in much easier (to me) way.

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 10:42 AM
The lace rope tutorial is great! That's the way I learned how to do it when I was a little girl, from a book. (I find I have to twist the individual sections like the video shows, because if I don't do that step, each section blends with the next and without that definition, it just looks like a plain side roll.) I'm not a beginner, though I think this video breaks it down really well for those who like to take an analytical perspective on things, like me.

I really like the lace rope frame style. This was one I did years ago. (Gosh, DH's hair was short back then! It's waist length now, and he's 6'3!) Still looks puny on me, though. Maybe doing it with Lilith's tugging trick might beef it up a little.
https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1931056_521879263330_8708_n.jpg?oh=f7568aac68075ef d8146a234ade7ac29&oe=55805197

As for my part, my hair is really stubborn & determined to fall into a center part no matter what I've tried doing to it in the past. (Example: I did a pompadour once, in my pre-LHC days, with full-on aggressive back combing & LOTS of hairspray. An hour later, it had split in half, trying to part itself!) I'm worried that even with wet-training a side part, it will still try to split itself into a center part after it's put up, and look funky. Silly hair is very set in her ways, lol.

My hair is a little too sparse for flowers/swirls to look nice as accents, but an accent braid or two is a viable option!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, everyone!

tiny squirrel
March 13th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Great comment Arctic! I agree, we are wired differently. This was the video I used as a beginner new to rope braiding, but I'll admit I've been doing my own elaborate hair styles since I was 6... so maybe I'm not a great judge of "easy."

I've attempted french rope braids with the technique you describe (not twisting the individual sections), but for me they do not hold as well. For my hair at least, the extra twist seems to help the hairs grip one another so that the braid stays tidy, close to the head, and more defined looking.

Everybody's hair is different, so I hope swords & roses finds something that works well for her and makes her feel like a princess!

tiny squirrel
March 13th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Ah! We must have been typing at the same time. :-) Have you checked out Loepsie on youtube? She has some great tutorials that I think might work well with your hair.

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Looks like the tutorial was perfect for swords & roses and I take my words back :) I didn't realize on some hairtypes the french/french lace rope wouldn't show or stay with the method I use (although I should have remembered the latter, as my hairtype I had before did not stay up in any way or form). I also assumed, wrongly, that swords & roses is beginner in *all* french-type braids, sorry about that too. :) Heck, maybe I'll even try this method of french rope braiding to see how it differs in my hair from the one i normally do :)

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 11:18 AM
swords & roses that style does suit you well and you have a lovely smile!

You might have cowlicks that force your hair part in the middle. I have few at my crown and the area behaves just like you describe yours. No matter how much I put effort into my crown, the cowlick eventually forces the hair to seperate :( It's the bain of my existence!

Definitely work with your hair!

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Oh, I can do lace ropes, and I can french style other people's hair, but despite years of trying, my brain & hands refuse to cooperate when I try to french style my own. I have the technology! lol. Just not the skill! ;)

And yep, everybody's just a little different! As the popular LHC phrase goes, YMMV! :D

I haven't heard of Loepsie, but I'll check her out!

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Loepsie is great, I like her videos. Her hair is not super thick, but it's much denser than mine is. I assume she is upper ii-thickness? Anyway her hair is much closer to mine than many popular video tutorial makers have. She is a member here too, at least was, but she's never been very active here (at least not at the same time with my irregular LHC phases).

MINAKO
March 13th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I was about to say volumizing powder too, maybe even a haipiece you can add to a hlf up or somthing. But its all very last minute. I think in this case i would not try to expiriment alot and rather be safe with a style i have worn before and at least kinda comfortable with.

tiny squirrel
March 13th, 2015, 12:36 PM
YMMV indeed. :-) If you get a good pic of your hair tomorrow I'd love to see.

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I'll post a pic if I'm able! :)

Panth
March 13th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Thoughts:
- maiden braids or hairtaping can look fancy and those sort of updos always get me compliments (and don't look at all "school marm") - you can also decorate with flowers or by using a coloured ribbon to do the hairtaping. Added bonus: these styles tend to stay longer and not get fuzzy as they're up off the collar.

gwenalyn
March 13th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I agree with what others above have said, and I don't have any more suggestions for tomorrow, but I also had problems with the updo-school-marmish look (slippery, teasing-resistant hair) until I cut in bangs. If this is an ongoing issue, bangs are worth considering.

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 01:53 PM
*shudder* No bangs for me! :lol: I was too traumatized by the years of horrible bangs my mom insisted on giving me throughout most of my childhood, and how much of a pain it was to grow them out. :p

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 02:09 PM
And yep, I'm working with some serious cowlicks. I was born with this center part! (No, really. I was born with 2" long hair and bangs, too!) The hair mistress will do what she wills, and she is VERY set in her ways, lol.

endlessly
March 13th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Salt spray can be DIYed in a pinch, that would give some grip too.

I second this as it will add a small amount of body to your hair as well. Does your hair hold braid waves at all? I know that if I want or need a bit more volume, I'll braid my hair in about 6-8 sections while lightly dampened and wear overnight, then in the morning, I loosen the braids, lightly comb through and I'm left with quite a bit of volume and hair that will easily hold any style without products. My avatar pic is after a night of this method.

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Ooh! Here's an idea, maybe! Combine with either a lace rope frame for the front, or leave the front sort of loose-ish so it drapes over the tops of my ears, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXwdARH_oM

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 02:32 PM
I second this as it will add a small amount of body to your hair as well. Does your hair hold braid waves at all? I know that if I want or need a bit more volume, I'll braid my hair in about 6-8 sections while lightly dampened and wear overnight, then in the morning, I loosen the braids, lightly comb through and I'm left with quite a bit of volume and hair that will easily hold any style without products. My avatar pic is after a night of this method.

Nope, it doesn't hold braid waves. Silly hair. ;)

endlessly
March 13th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Nope, it doesn't hold braid waves. Silly hair. ;)

Well, that's a bummer then. I don't know what else you could possibly try that wouldn't cause damage. You mentioned your hair didn't hold curls at all, so using hot rollers, foam rollers, or rag curls is out of the question too. Torrinpaige on YouTube has a ton of hairstyle ideas you could look at. Since you have some difficulty braiding on yourself, look for some of her "knot" hairstyles. They hold very well if you have enough bobby pins and you can puff up the hair a big to give more volume in the front.

Here's her most recent one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bicn3guKayk

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Cool! Thanks!

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Ooh! Here's an idea, maybe! Combine with either a lace rope frame for the front, or leave the front sort of loose-ish so it drapes over the tops of my ears, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgXwdARH_oM

What a coinsidense, I just saw that same video very recently! It's a fun style, would work nicely with accent braids!

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah! That could work! (Shame that my entire ponytail is about as full as one of her three sections. So much hair! :crush: )

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Well your buns would be more defined, whereas hers were more messy. I think that style would work on many hairtypes, I've done a bit similar myself too, when my hair was longer the last time. When you braid the ponytails, try tugging the braids again bigger, so they'll look more massive. Take a gentle hold of each bump (while holding the tassel) and pull a bit outwards, going up and down the length several times always taking hold of slightly different spot of the bump. Or, which is even better for my hair, braid few inched, pull the bumps bigger, braid few inches, stop and pull the bumps bigger and so on. Very similar methods as the video where lilith moon pulled her rope lace braids.

ETA: And don't forget the accent braids too, even if you don't pull them so much that the would come much bigger in size, a little bit of pulling from the side does made the pattern of a braid stand out more. Try a few times before doing The version.

swords & roses
March 13th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

Arctic
March 13th, 2015, 08:11 PM
No problems! It was actually only very recently when I started to try out the braid thickening by pulling it wider, and I am getting so nice results it makes me mad that this information has not been widely available until only relatively recently!

swords & roses
March 14th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Tada! Game day hairs:
http://imgur.com/27GKM0v
http://imgur.com/bTJNMg0
http://imgur.com/A3MskFs

Arctic
March 14th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Wow your hair, the updo and you yourself all look great! The hairdo came out super nice! That flexi is perfect choice! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Enjoy the day!

Arctic
March 14th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Hey you'll need to post those photos on the Bun Picture thread, so more people would see them!

swords & roses
March 14th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Ah good idea! :) And thank you!