PDA

View Full Version : identifying deficiencies

almorin
March 12th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering how people have gotten themselves tested to determine if they are vitamin deficient. Do you go through your regular general practitioner? Do you order blood tests from a private company? Doctors I have been to seem reluctant to do any kind of blood testing like this.

I notice that my hair seems to grow faster when I am taking a multi-vitamin, but I don't want to shell out the money for it if I am not actually deficient...

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 12th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering how people have gotten themselves tested to determine if they are vitamin deficient. Do you go through your regular general practitioner? Do you order blood tests from a private company? Doctors I have been to seem reluctant to do any kind of blood testing like this.

I notice that my hair seems to grow faster when I am taking a multi-vitamin, but I don't want to shell out the money for it if I am not actually deficient...

For me this depends on insurance. My GP orders the blood work and sends me over to another office. The GP usually sends a referral to another office to have the tests done, I have had so much blood work done from being sick and having stomach problems and whatnot. But I think it depends on your doctor and your insurance, I am not 100% sure though so don't quote me on that one! lol.

Deficiency or not, be sure that you are eating well. Multi-vitamins can really do so much and your body benefits more from actual food rather than a pill, I eat vegan and multi-vitamins only provide me a slither of any sort of value, but that is just me.

It never hurts to find out I suppose, if you feel like you are deficient in something, keep pushing your doctor! Listen to your body, it took me 5 years to get my doctor to do a colonoscopy, they didn't want to because I am young (21). But then I kept pushing and pushing and eventually they did the tests and found lots of cuts and irritation. Doctors are stubborn, but better to be safe than sorry.

lapushka
March 12th, 2015, 04:04 PM
I'm disabled and a chronic pain patient. I get tested yearly. It's a must for me. I don't think every vitamin is tested, but the ones that matter surely are! Just ask your doctor about it. It's often viewed as a necessity.

mindwiped
March 13th, 2015, 01:46 AM
I've got a history of Vit D deficiency, so they run that test yearly, to make sure that my supplement is strong enough. I tend to have a bunch of labs ran yearly, I aim for around my birthday so I remember to get them done. My typical is a CBC (basic blood chemistry) Vit D, thyroid (always TSH, sometimes free T3/T4-because I've got hypothyroidism), cholesterol, HbA1C (to ensure I'm still just insulin resistant, not type 2 diabetic) and some hormone panels.

As for asking your doc, and their resistance, I'd tell them what you shared here about your hair growth on a multi, and want to make sure that you're not actually deficient. That way you and they can know exactly where your nutritional status is. I'm surprised they hesitate to have them ran, if it were me and my doc blew off my request, I'd ask why they don't feel that I need it done. That way you at least know the doc's logic, and if there isn't one, it will give you a chance to push harder without seeming demanding.

Anje
March 13th, 2015, 09:09 AM
What country are you in, almorin? Obviously, that makes a big difference!

(Also, you're not the person who signed yearbooks "Hurricane Al" in 6th grade in WI, are you?)

almorin
March 13th, 2015, 05:45 PM
What country are you in, almorin? Obviously, that makes a big difference!

(Also, you're not the person who signed yearbooks "Hurricane Al" in 6th grade in WI, are you?)

USA, and no haha

I'm surprised they hesitate to have them ran, if it were me and my doc blew off my request, I'd ask why they don't feel that I need it done. That way you at least know the doc's logic, and if there isn't one, it will give you a chance to push harder without seeming demanding.

I think it comes down to just how she wants to operate. The stated reason was that there are a ton of tests that one could do for any number of conditions at any given time, and that if there is no compelling reason to test the vitamin levels other than (as she put it) curiosity, then she didn't want to have it ordered. She said the hair growth change could be due to seasonal changes, etc and that it wasn't a compelling enough reason.

Anje
March 13th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Had to ask. Your username reminded me of her. :)

Shibe
March 13th, 2015, 09:25 PM
You could start taking prenatals. Ever since I started taking them when I got pregnant I no longer have shedding or peeling fingernails.

Auni
March 20th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in here! I think it's pretty bizarre your GP won't test your blood. I'm a RN, I've worked in various hospital settings, and looking at lab work to determine disease cause/process is part of what I get paid to do. A blood sample used to get vitamin levels and deficiencies is VERY run of the mill and common place. I get my labs drawn with every yearly checkup, and I feel strongly everyone should to keep up on their general health! As far as you taking a vitamin supplement, do it! As long as you take the recommended dosage, you should suffer no ill effects, it's when they're taken in excess one can run into problems.