PDA

View Full Version : Help with a hairstyle please?

myria
March 12th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Hi,
I'm so in love with this hairstyle I found on pinterest and I really really want to wear it to a wedding next week.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/03/8d/76038dbd29e9f34646d250f86b952157.jpg
It has no instructions. I know its two perimeter braids flipped back and crossed in the centre back but I can't figure out what you do next with the length. My attempts to copy it are not even close to successful.

Has anybody any ideas?

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I'm not familiar with perimeter braid. BUT to me it looks like, as you said, that the braids have been crossed with eachother, maybe pinned together (if they are 2 individual braids?), then folded UNDER. Then I am just guessing, that there has been made a sort of hole on the spot where the flower is, and the folded under braid has been brought trough the hole, and the ends of the braid have been tucked into a pouch/pocket that has been formed between the folded under part of the braid and the part that is visible on top. The flower is used to hide the hole and the spot where the braid from under has been brought through and tucked into the pocket.

endlessly
March 12th, 2015, 12:27 PM
I'm absolutely terrible at deciphering pictures like these because they never seem to turn out the same when I attempt to copy them on my own hair. That being said, it looks to me like two perimeter braids like you had said, but then they must have been braided together down to the ends in that same loose style, then perhaps tucked under and pinned? I've seen similar styles with french braids being tucked under, so it almost looks like that same technique to me. Have you tried it that way at all?

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I found few similar styles when I searched with "tucked under perimeter braid tutorial", for example The Dreamweaver had some sort of instructions, though non of the ones I saw were exactly like this. I tried to find the original source too, but could in reasonable time so I gave up.

This tutorial video has a bit similar style, and might, infact, be more comfortable to wear, because the style you posted probably rubs against the neck all the time and I personally find it super irritating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIMcKwg-BaE

myria
March 12th, 2015, 01:23 PM
I've tried it but that method of hiding the ends of the braids doesn't work 'cause I've too much hair, mine's about hip length thats why I thought the photo one might be better.

myria
March 12th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Thats what I thought too but I can't get them tucked under as invisibly, mine are too obvious so it doesnt look right.

BrendaLoan
March 12th, 2015, 01:51 PM
This is pretty similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quksxQ3l9Yg
I guess is much easier if you have shorter hair :hmm:

spidermom
March 12th, 2015, 01:54 PM
You might try braiding all the way to the end of each perimeter braid, then taking the right side and pinning under the left lace braid going all the way to the top of the head if you need to. Then take the left side and pin it under the right lace braid in a similar manner. You might end up with something like a little hair-band at the top (I do). Last pin the perimeter braids together in the back. I have most successfully used a little claw clip for this. They make pretty ones with sparkly bits these days
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/2lhc607.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/2lhc607.jpg.html)

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 02:00 PM
Darn, I just lost a long post.

I was thinking that you probably will have to pin your "leftover braid" somewhere, either to your scalp hairs or to the braided "pocket", otherwise I have no doubt it would sag. If you could pin the braid from few spots to near the opening of the pocket, so it will be hidden when you put on your decorative flower or other big hairtoy.

Another thing. Looking at the photo, it looks like the sections on the sides, that have been added to the braid, are spread wider than they would otherwise be. I'm pretty sure the whole braid is manipulated to look so close-knit. For that to work, your would probably need some hairstyling products.

And last but not least, if you would gently pull your braids themselves wider too, that would eat some of your length. Maybe not hugely, but some. It's an easy way to make braids more wide and bigger looking, which would also help to cover the pocket and your extra tail.

Here's a video that shows how the pulling wider is done, only exception I have noticed, that I get the braids MUCH wider if I stop after braiding few inches, pull the braid, braid few inches, pull the braid. I get much nicer results this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oLafPDcCCQ

One other idea that might or might not work, is switching to cage braid when you get to the nape, maybe that would work better at forming the kind of pocket that would hide out extra hair.

lapushka
March 12th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Looks like it's two lace braids, combined in the back into one braid and then the length is folded (or rolled) up to the nape.

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 02:59 PM
One hair tutorial about basic perimeter braid mentioned, that the thicker sections you take the faster the hair runs out, which is now that I think of clear as ice. I was wondering, if it would make the hiding of the rest of the braid easier, if you'd take quite big sections.

myria
March 12th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I got it! It was to do with the size of sections I was adding - Thank you everyone for the tips and ideas!

If you want to have a go yourself I've managed it by pre-sectioning it before I start the perimeter braids then braiding the sections in so that I run out of sections to add once the braid is long enough to reach my shoulder then braid normally to the end. Flip and pin the perimeter braids, cross them low at the nape, roll each braid up and bobby pin the roll. Then you just ease the rolls into the 'pocket' without disturbing the hair too much and mini claw clip to the scalp underneath.

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 04:16 PM
Woohoo!!! That's awesome!!! :thumbsup: