PDA

View Full Version : My hair type? - what do you think?

Estrid
March 12th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Hello everyone!

I did post a thread like this when I joined 7 months ago but then my hair was a bit short so the advice was to "wait until it is longer". I don't know if I have waited long enough but I decided to try (my patience is not the best) :redgrin:

Last time I decided to just write 1c and see what happens, I can see S-waves in my hair, but I don't know if it is enough to call myself a 2a, but maybe a 1c/2a? I feel like I see them better on the sides so I took 3 photos.

What do you all think?

http://oi62.tinypic.com/14171uf.jpg

lapushka
March 12th, 2015, 08:31 AM
1c. It's a bit too much body not so much individual wave definition, so I'd say 1c.

Begemot
March 12th, 2015, 08:47 AM
1c seems right. Maybe you will upgrade to 1c/2a the longer your hair gets? :D Your hair already makes me unsure if to call it straight or wavy since there really is some great potential to s-wavyness there. Really pretty hair!

Estrid
March 12th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Thank you both for your answers! :) I guess I don't have to alter my profile then! And yeah, it is a bit hard to know what to call it, to me it doesn't look straight at all (I picture straight to be like a ruler) but yeah, not "wavy" either. I seem to be in that "dunno what to call it" territory in about everything ;)

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 09:23 AM
The overall effect of your hair seems to be similar to mine, but more uniform. Mine is a big mixture of almost straight canopy (maybe 1b-1c) and depending on day, maybe 2a-2b underlayers (which I can manipulate with styling to be borderline curly). Some of my individual hairs have really tight wavepattern. I never know what to put into the hairtype box, so I avarage it all with 2a. :) I would consider your hair to be clearly - or at least borderline - wavy, I think those are slightly more than bodywaves. I would but you in 1c-2a for now.

Extremely pretty hair and wavepattern, btw!

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Oh, I forgot to ask: do your waves fall off quickly or does your hair look wavy like that all the time? If they fall off and don't stay, maybe then I'd put your hair in 1c only. If the pattern is strong and stays, I'd think there is some 2 in there.

Estrid
March 12th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Oh, I forgot to ask: do your waves fall off quickly or does your hair look wavy like that all the time? If they fall off and don't stay, maybe then I'd put your hair in 1c only. If the pattern is strong and stays, I'd think there is some 2 in there.

Thank you for your answer :) My hair looks like that all the time unless I go through it with my tangle teezer.

It is interesting what you say, I personally don't understand the "body vs wave" that well (maybe that's why I can't tell what my hair type is on my own). I understand that the big bulks every here and there are "body", but I got some that does form a wavepattern without it looking irregular or like a bulk... Maybe it is still a bit too early to tell, what do I know :shrug:

DweamGoiL
March 12th, 2015, 09:52 AM
To me, it looks like 2a, but not long enough to form proper waves. For me, the shorter my hair is, the straighter it looks until it gets to about SL.

Wosie
March 12th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Love your hair colour, Estrid! I would go with... yep--1c or 1c/2a, tough choice. :hmm: I honestly can't pick between the two! *needs some thinking time :p*

Estrid
March 12th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the answers! They really help :)

Guess I might make another thread when my hair is longer (a third one, yikes!). At what length should I try again? is BSL too short? should I wait till WL? A third one would make me feel a bit annoying, good that it takes time for hair to grow so that it is time inbetween them xD

...wonder if I should put 1c/2a while waiting or if I should let the 1c be there till I know for sure :hmm:

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 10:40 AM
Don't worry about posting new thread: people love to look at hair photos and it's fun to try and put them in type catgories.

Also, don't worry about the type you decide to put into your profile. The difference between the types suggested here, 1c to 2a, are not that big and you can always update the type. Your hair doesn't change whether you write in your profile it's 1 b or 3 c, these are man made categories with little to no meaning outside hair forums.

Arctic
March 12th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Thank you for your answer :) My hair looks like that all the time unless I go through it with my tangle teezer.

It is interesting what you say, I personally don't understand the "body vs wave" that well (maybe that's why I can't tell what my hair type is on my own). I understand that the big bulks every here and there are "body", but I got some that does form a wavepattern without it looking irregular or like a bulk... Maybe it is still a bit too early to tell, what do I know :shrug:

Well I always think the body wave more like "body" without actual wave. It's an *invisible* or almost invisible HUGE wave pattern that makes your hair voluminous (a little or more so), either at the root, length or both. Body is what differentiates 1a type (no body what so ever) from the next types. 1 b has slightly more volume and maybe a little bend at the tips, and 1c has in addition to volume *some* visible BIG waves, but they might not last when hair is combed etc, and the overall look is that of straight hair rather than wavy. That's how I think of it, it might not be the exact way the LHC type guide stated these things, though.

Anje
March 12th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Very similar to mine, though how it looks when it's longer will tell you more. Mine gets a few cycles of wave, but the waves that are there sort of stay near the ends and are pulled out of the upper lengths. (Do you have frizzy, curly new hairs that only decide after a few inches of growth that they're not going to be curly after all, like I do?)

I'd say you're safe putting 1c/2a down if you want. But it looks like you're another with one of those funny straivy hairtypes that can never really decide whether it's going to be straight or wavy and tries to do both. ;)

Estrid
March 12th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I guess it is something about the 1c that bothers me, don't ask me why, it just does. Maybe it is because I have never considered my hair to be straight :P Maybe I should put it in the middle (1c/2a) just to calm my mind until it's more noticeable what it is.

Arctic: If that is what body wave is I do have lots of it, but the waves I see in my hair, especially on the sides, don't seem to be related to those. But yeah, I guess I'll have to wait some more till I know. Would be nice if I could tell by BSL, but maybe that's wishful thinking :redgrin:

Estrid
March 12th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Very similar to mine, though how it looks when it's longer will tell you more. Mine gets a few cycles of wave, but the waves that are there sort of stay near the ends and are pulled out of the upper lengths. (Do you have frizzy, curly new hairs that only decide after a few inches of growth that they're not going to be curly after all, like I do?)

I'd say you're safe putting 1c/2a down if you want. But it looks like you're another with one of those funny straivy hairtypes that can never really decide whether it's going to be straight or wavy and tries to do both. ;)

Haha, funny that you mentioned those new hairs! Yes, I have like a little hat of curly-ish new hairs on the top of my head, going in all directions, I never notice when they go down, but some are kinda long.

Aaaand I suppose I am. Would be nice to be a solid *something* for once, but I guess I have to be happy with what I got. Straivy was a fun word, Ima remember that ;)

Chocowalnut
March 12th, 2015, 11:13 AM
1c. Very pretty texture!

Anje
March 12th, 2015, 11:16 AM
I hear you. I've tried to wear my hair wavy before: Gel and plopping and minimal handling after it's dry. It's wavy if I do that, but in a stringy, tentacle-y sort of way that I really hate on myself. Usually I just comb out all the wave when it's wet instead. So I end up with hair that's more straight than not, and usually ends up bunned anyway.

I've got by far the straightest hair in my family. Everyone else has strong waves or curls. I'm blaming them for my indecisive baby hairs!

Estrid
March 12th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I see :p I like my hair better when I leave it alone. The body that my hair got makes it look really strange (imo) when brushed out, so I usually just detangle a little with my fingers or a wide tooth comb.

My mother got red wavy hair, my father got straight blonde-ish hair (hard to say when he shaves all off), ofc my hair became an indecisive mix