PDA

View Full Version : Beer Rinses?

snowyx
March 12th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone here has ever done a beer rinse. I read about it sometime last year and tried it a couple of times, and it made my hair feel amazingly soft and shiny. I let the beer go flat first. I shampoo then poor the flat beer all over my hair and let it sit for 5 minutes or so, wash it out, then use a nice-smelling conditioner.

What about you? Have you had any experience with this? What were your results?

-snowyx

StellaKatherine
March 12th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Hmmm... never tried. I know what my husband would say about using perfectly fine beer on the hair ;)

Katrin
March 12th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I've been meaning to do this and never got to it until now. Would be a good way to dispose of beer which has sat around for a while. I think my hair is too short at the moment to try this but I'd be very interested to hear the opinion of people who've tried it.

snowyx
March 12th, 2015, 08:04 AM
I've been meaning to do this and never got to it until now. Would be a good way to dispose of beer which has sat around for a while. I think my hair is too short at the moment to try this but I'd be very interested to hear the opinion of people who've tried it.

I just popped open a beer to use today! I'll let you know how it goes.

Katrin
March 12th, 2015, 08:05 AM
I just popped open a beer to use today! I'll let you know how it goes.

May the force be with you! o7

browneyedsusan
March 12th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Oh my!
I much prefer to take mine internally! :beercheer:

Eastbound&Down
March 12th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Is it better to use light or dark beers? Does anyone know? Also, does it affect color treated hair?

snowyx
March 12th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Is it better to use light or dark beers? Does anyone know? Also, does it affect color treated hair?

every article that I read about beer rinses used light beer. I used it when my hair was dyed blonde and it didn't have any affect on my color. Hope this helps.

Eastbound&Down
March 12th, 2015, 09:08 AM
every article that I read about beer rinses used light beer. I used it when my hair was dyed blonde and it didn't have any affect on my color. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll have to gie it a shot :)

lapushka
March 12th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Interesting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBjNI3cW9U

velorutionista
March 12th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I do this occasionally when we end up with a clunker beer and nobody wants to finish off the sixpack. I find dark beers give me great, smooth results very similar to rinsing with a strong apple cider vinegar rinse...can't vouch for light beers as I don't ever buy them (and thus they never run the risk of being condemned to household experiments).

meteor
March 12th, 2015, 10:43 AM
There *might* be some benefits from fermentation (some proteins might be broken up enough to adhere to hair, like a hydrolyzed protein treatment), also there are some sugars (humectants) and B vitamins that might help. :hmm:

Personally, I rarely have beer and when I do, I'd rather just drink it. :beerchug:
I bet all the B vitamins in it work internally anyway! ;)

Check out this article (beer rinse is used as a vegetarian replacement for DIY gelatin treatment): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html

DweamGoiL
March 12th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I used to make a nice beer rinse with Guinness Stout and herbs in it years ago. If I wasn't so lazy, I would take this up again. It did very nice things for my hair.

Anje
March 12th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I'm another who prefers my beer internally. :ale:

We rarely have icky beer, though it happens from time to time. However, there's no way I want to smell like nasty beer, and the best-smelling stuff (AIPAs with some hefty Amarillo dry-hopping, for example) doesn't last long!

thefreakingmoon
March 12th, 2015, 11:52 AM
I don't like beer much, so I've never had the opportunity to try. Most reviews seem to be in line with the soft and shiny hair results though, so perhaps I'll purchase some specifically for a rinse.

leilani
March 12th, 2015, 12:52 PM
I use dark beer gone flat and it gives amazing shine and slip. Love it. And body!!!!
I also put it in a spray bottle with a few drops of peppermint essential oils and use it as hairspray for amazing volume and hold.

lapushka
March 12th, 2015, 01:16 PM
The only beer we've got in the house is cheap bear in a can, for our snail traps (which work awesomely BTW). I don't think it's for me, though. I'll stick to rinse-out oil. Much more moisturizing. ;)

Eastbound&Down
March 12th, 2015, 01:46 PM
I use dark beer gone flat and it gives amazing shine and slip. Love it. And body!!!!
I also put it in a spray bottle with a few drops of peppermint essential oils and use it as hairspray for amazing volume and hold.

OMG! That is awesome, I hate using regular hairspray! what's your ratio??

DweamGoiL
March 12th, 2015, 01:50 PM

Yes, please share. Would love to try this :agree:

Calypso
March 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM
I am also one who prefers to drink beer, but I do beer rinses after a party as there's always half empty cans left over! I just shampoo and then do the beer instead of the conditioner, it makes my hair lovely and soft. It has to be flat beer, though!

Daylilly
March 12th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Why pour stale beer down the drain. I have done this and had the most shine possible with my hair. After shampoo I apply the old stale beer which stinks and leave it for a while than add a nice smelling conditioner and rinse, always good results.

Lavendersugar
March 12th, 2015, 09:02 PM
I have been thinking about doing beer rinses as I can not do caffeine rinses. I read it can help growth. I do not drink so I have to to remember to get some.
Anyone know if it matters of the beer is non-alcoholic?

chen bao jun
March 12th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I hate beer. When I was five, my dad was drinking one and I asked if I could taste it and he said , yes. Smart man, if he had said no, I'd have been intrigued. Never touched the stuff since, hate the smell and if it would make my hair grow a foot a Minute, I wouldn't go near it.

snowyx
March 13th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Okay, so I did a beer rinse yesterday night! I let the light beer go flat first. Then I shampood, and poured the beer all over my hair and let it sit for a bit, then rinsed and used conditioner. My hair is amazingly shiny and soft!! It looks so much straighter, too. I think I will keep on doing this once a week.

YvetteVarie
March 13th, 2015, 08:06 AM
I have done one (not using flat beer, as my brother would have drunk my beer :lol:)It made my hair very soft, and extra moisturised, which is a win with tightly curly hair

DweamGoiL
March 13th, 2015, 08:26 AM
I have had 2 bottles of pale ale in my fridge for at least 2 years from a previous bf that left it behind. I was saving it for company, but it never got consumed. This is a good use for it :)

Eastbound&Down
March 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Opened a beer this morning and put it out on the counter to get nice and flat while i'm at work and I will do it tonight when I wash my hair :)

snowyx
March 13th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Opened a beer this morning and put it out on the counter to get nice and flat while i'm at work and I will do it tonight when I wash my hair :)

Let us know your results!:D

gwenalyn
March 13th, 2015, 12:15 PM
What is the theory behind beer rinses? Putting something alcoholic in your hair seems counter-intuitive.

DweamGoiL
March 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM
What is the theory behind beer rinses? Putting something alcoholic in your hair seems counter-intuitive.

The hops do good things for your hair!

meteor
March 13th, 2015, 01:27 PM

The hops do good things for your hair!

I agree with DweamGoiL: hops are supposed to be beneficial (I would imagine they work internally, too, if not better!).
Also, don't forget that it doesn't have to be "alcoholic" beer, it can be alcohol-free or just flat - just let it sit for a while for the alcohol to evaporate.
By the way, there are lots of commercial shampoos with hops and beer shampoos and products out there, as well. :)

Also there are some sugars (humectants) and B vitamins in beer that might be of help.

Also, there might be some benefits from fermentation (some proteins might be broken up enough to adhere to hair, like a hydrolyzed protein treatment), check out this Science-y Hair Blog article on beer rinse used as a vegetarian alternative for DIY gelatin treatment: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html

leilani
March 13th, 2015, 02:20 PM

Just the beer, not diluted. EOs for scent.

meteor
March 13th, 2015, 02:24 PM
^ I wonder if it works as hairspray due to all the sugars in it? :hmm: I know sugary water is sometimes used for hold if one wants to avoid hairsprays.

gwenalyn
March 14th, 2015, 12:51 AM
I agree with DweamGoiL: hops are supposed to be beneficial (I would imagine they work internally, too, if not better!).
Also, don't forget that it doesn't have to be "alcoholic" beer, it can be alcohol-free or just flat - just let it sit for a while for the alcohol to evaporate.
By the way, there are lots of commercial shampoos with hops and beer shampoos and products out there, as well. :)

Also there are some sugars (humectants) and B vitamins in beer that might be of help.

Also, there might be some benefits from fermentation (some proteins might be broken up enough to adhere to hair, like a hydrolyzed protein treatment), check out this Science-y Hair Blog article on beer rinse used as a vegetarian alternative for DIY gelatin treatment: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/04/what-cookin-vegetarian-protein.html

Thank you!

Calypso
March 14th, 2015, 07:00 AM
I baked some beer bread this morning with cheap and nasty Carlsberg, and the recipe didn't need the whole can so I'll have a nice beer rinse tomorrow! :) Does anyone else love the smell, or am I just a weird alcoholic? :P

Eastbound&Down
March 14th, 2015, 02:19 PM
Just did my beer rinse! Waiting for it to dry for results!

Eastbound&Down
March 14th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Update: I think I like the results, hair feels very fluffy but it still kinda smells like beer...

Aspsusa
March 14th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Okay, so I did a beer rinse yesterday night! I let the light beer go flat first. Then I shampood, and poured the beer all over my hair and let it sit for a bit, then rinsed and used conditioner. My hair is amazingly shiny and soft!! It looks so much straighter, too. I think I will keep on doing this once a week.

Now that is interesting!
When I was a child I heard about rinsing your hair with beer, and it was always said that it would make your hair more curly/wavey.

snowyx
March 15th, 2015, 12:53 AM
Now that is interesting!
When I was a child I heard about rinsing your hair with beer, and it was always said that it would make your hair more curly/wavey.

Wow! When my hair was damp it looked wavy, but as it dried it got straighter. It was so fluffy and shiny. I cant wait to do it again.

Eastbound&Down
March 15th, 2015, 01:55 PM
My hair seems more red than usual, not sure if it's from the beer rinse but it's the only thing I have changed in a while. Definitely a plus if it is :)

Lolino
March 15th, 2015, 02:21 PM
I heard about using beer and/or egg (can't remember the details) on hair while I grew up, but thought it sounded like a horrid idea at the time. :shrug:
I just had to try it though! I don't know a thing about beer, so I just picked heineken because I recognized the bottle at the store... The smell when I was pouring it on my hair, urgh. I hate the smell of beer. It still smells faintly, but only if you know what the source is and I imagine it will be gone by tomorrow morning.
My hair does feel softer and less heavy than usual, although I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking or not to be honest. My roots definitely do feel fluffier and softer though, I like it! :thumbsup:

Carolyn
March 15th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I've done it a couple times ages ago. Since my son doesn't live here anymore there isn't much drinking going on so I'd have to open up a fresh can or bottle and let it go stale. I remember a lot of fluff and shine. I don't recall that it gave my hair reddish tones like ACV. I would have remembered that since I want to avoid that at all costs. I would love to find something that made my hair straighter. It might be worth a try again. Oh and I don't recall any stale beer smell after my hair dried.

lapushka
March 15th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Now that is interesting!

My beer shampoo (from Guhl) once said it was good for fine hair, for volume and all.

Oh here, found a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Guhl-beer-shampoo-6-76-fl/dp/B0012S7HIM

Lavendersugar
April 6th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Used regular Bud because we did some beer bbq chicken. Clarified, poured beer on and left on for about a minute and rinsed out. Then applied conditioner left on while I shaved and rinsed out. Best hair ever!!!

I typically use darker beer or alcoholic free but Bud worked well.

nakima
April 7th, 2015, 06:02 PM
awe yes, A trip down memory lane, this was a big thing in the 70's we used to do this all the time. It's been awhile I think I will try it again. Hops are great for your hair :)