PDA

View Full Version : Needs, Wants, and Dreams

CrazyGrace
March 10th, 2015, 08:18 PM
I'm currently in accessory buying time out and want to use this time to plan my future purchases. A couple people on the time out thread said that a planning thread might be helpful to them as well, so here is a place to talk about what you need to have, what you want to purchase, and what items you dream of having but can't afford.

Here's a little bit about my hair accessory journey.
Until about nine months ago, I used bobby pins and hair ties to hold my waist plus, 3c hair up. I had noticeable short sections where the pins and ties repeatedly pinched my hair, and my scalp occasionally developed painful spots from the pressure they exerted. I had tried to use sticks before but without success. So I turned to the internet to learn how to get sticks to work (Incidentally, that is what lead me to the LHC). In addition to tutorials, I also found etsy, forks, and enablers. So, I started buying things. I didn't go too crazy, but I was buying on impulse, which is out of character for me. I tried to pace myself, but my collection still has some significant holes in it, and I didn't know what they were, so it was difficult. Majorane started a time-out thread, and I sort of dabbled in the shallow end, and then immediately saw something I've wanted for a while on the swap board. I tried to resist, but it was something I really wanted , so I caved. At that point, I decided that I need to put some thought in this instead of letting good things slip by because I don't have the money since I just spent it on something that fills a spot that wasn't empty. I put myself on a strict 6-week time out and set out to figure out what I actually need.

I haven't figured out exactly what I need yet, but there are some broad categories that I know I'll need to develop.
Basic workhorse items for everyday wear
Really convincing items for stubborn or extra big hair days
Waterproof items for showers and freshly washed hair
Items for when I want to dress a little nicer
Statement pieces for the rare occasion when I'm feeling dangerous

Alright, your turn. How has your collection evolved thus far, and where do you want to take it?

Stormynights
March 10th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I started by making my own sticks from the trees in my yard. I still like my sticks I made. I made some change the bead sticks so I can have fancy topped sticks just by changing the beads. Those are fun. What you need is something for damp hair and rainy days. I got some Jeter forks and then started to fill in with things I wanted to try and wear. I have two Ficcares and one fake one that I like just as well as the real ones. We don't need a lot but new things are just so much fun to have.

-Fern
March 10th, 2015, 09:07 PM
I saw this in Time Out and I'm glad you turned it into a thread. =)

Ja, I totally feel you on the enabling qualities of LHC, hahaha... as a teenager, I tried many cheap hairtoys (the only kind available), and my hair promptly ate them all. ALL. My hair has destroyed claws and clips galore (exploding peacock twists of DOOM for anyone sitting behind me), wood, bone, and bamboo sticks... plastic fakkare... ugh. So prior to signing up, the only hairtoys I had were two plastic fakkares that I picked up at Claire's (2 for $5), and they had to be used with elastics, because they weren't actually capable of holding my hair, even in a half-up.

Shortly after joining, I went splurging on stuff that probably did not meet my hair's needs. BUT, it has also given me a better idea of what I like, and what does work, and what will or will not get used. Aaand, probably a more realistic idea of how long my hair needs to be before I can use something like the TT's that I lust after. My bun is already big (even at APL, my bun is starting to eat my head), but I'm probably like a foot of length away from being able to make a disc bun or nautilus.

Have: (This is to remind myself of what I do not need more of):
-Two barrettes en route from MapleBurls (for half-ups)
-Pair of hairsticks en route from MapleBurls (for up-do's)
-Two-prong fork with 4.3" working length from WoodArtJewelry (already close to outgrowing when used for half-ups!)

Have but not cutting it (This is to remind myself to either trade/destash/not buy more of):
-Narrow, single-stick hairtoys (hair goes womp)
-Non-metal fakkares (hair goes chomp)

Need: Fork with at least three prongs and probably 4.75+" of working length. I am so madly in love with this (https://www.etsy.com/listing/206844192/sculptured-hairfork-handcaved-from?ref=shop_home_active_6), but I know it will not do the job, even for half-ups. So... :patrol:

Dream: TT's fill my dreams. Not all of them--I am not an addict, nor do I haunt the shop waiting to leap on the new designs--but I have a huge respect for the return of craftsmanship and the sheer detail and beauty and finery that he pours into his work. Some TT's strum my heartstrings, and the right few would be heirlooms that I would be proud to keep and pass on to the other longhairs in my family. But I will probably have to be at least at Waist length before I could successfully wear them without fear of losing them! =P

-----

TL;DR - This has been useful, because apparently the only thing I need for my hair is a good sturdy long fork!! :lol:

lunasea
March 10th, 2015, 09:30 PM
When I joined this site my fine, thin hair was just hitting shoulder length. Since it had been short and thin my whole life, I assumed it would always be that way. At the time I was having it dyed red with blonde highlights every 6 weeks. After a nice dye job (during which the stylist always raked the dye through my wet hair with a fine-toothed comb) she blow fried it as a finish and flat ironed any hair that refused to be cooperative. After reading some of the posts here it occurred to me that this MIGHT be damaging. I haven't had my hair colored since June of last year and it's changing. I don't know what exactly it will be like when it grows out. It's just past armpit length now but the ends are fried.

The reason why I said all of this is to clarify why some of the toys I got in the beginning are not great now. Stuff that looked great in copper red hair with blonde highlights isn't so hot in ashen hair with silver mixed in. My hair may grow in thicker now that I've stopped torturing it on a regular basis so some of the clips I initially got are maybe not going to work for much longer. My hair is longer now than I ever thought it would be. That may mean that some stuff isn't going to work forever. Some things that I've tried aren't so good on my active job. I love Ficcares but I try to limit how often I wear them because I don't like my fragile hair pinched tight.

So what I'm saying is that I'm still not sure what I NEED. I sure do know what I WANT though: TTs, Ficcares, LIs (for wet hair), and forks; lots of forks. Someday I'd like to try a tusk. I already have a large collection of hairtoys. At this point I need to scale the collection down to what I love and will wear. Problem is; I don't know exactly where my hair is going so I'm nervous about giving anything up. As the color changes I might like things that don't work now. I've already found out that as my hair grows and I learn new styles I start to be able to use toys that didn't work before. I'm in time-out right now because I just got a large number of my dream Ficcares from the new lotus collection. I don't want to stop buying toys for 3 years until my hair grows to the point where I know what it's up to and I really should do some destashing. It's all so confusing....

Quasiquixotic
March 10th, 2015, 09:48 PM
oh man, well I just jumped in without a plan. And bought everything and turned into one of the biggest, baddest enablers in the process. I'm only mostly sorry, everyone should try a tusk.

Need:

Nothing. I have more than one of everything I think I will wear. Actually what I need is to sell things I don't love and stop buying. The deciding is really the hard part for me.

Want:

Tusks and Ficcare. I love the idea of a tusk army. I love the art of tusks. They are fun, forever pieces, imo.

I want exactly 2 old rare expensive ficcare - cream with brown spots and two tone gold leopards in large. Even if I never find them, I will be okay, but if I do find them, my searching (and paying) for old style ficcare is over. If ficcare puts out a new collection that is patterned, like if they rerelease the leopard or primavera or something like those but not those, I would buy them.

I have 3 TTs I want, these are very specific sticks. One I hope to get off swap or private trade, and the other two I'm hoping I can get via custom, if/when he opens his list up again.

There are also a few LIs I'd like, but I am okay without them, so :shrug:

Really, I would be okay without ANY of these things. They are firmly wants, not needs.

Dreams:

Ugh, all the toys. No, I just dream of having really long healthy white hair. I'll settle for really long healthy hair in my current natural color, but I really look forward to going white.

Colochita
March 10th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Have:

A two-pronged Etta Mae fork
A three-pronged Schnitzstube fork
A silver matte Ficcare
A pair of ivory hair-sticks with lovely danglies

Need:

No hair toys right now.
I need to figure out how to make my hair forks and hair sticks work to hold up a decent bun.
I have trouble because my hair is very thick, kinky, and only around BSL. Plus, I'm used to wearing it in a braided style that takes away a significant amount of length.

Want:

The perfect TT with an inlay. I prefer lighter woods without much of a grain (exception is olive wood) paired with navy or bright blue paua.
A tusk someday. (I wouldn't invest in this until my hair was WL+. It would be more of an achievement gift.)

Islandgrrl
March 10th, 2015, 11:09 PM
I've been around a while. When I started here I was about a year out from a crazy short pixie. I had cut my classic-ish length hair off and pretty much instantly regretted the decision. At the time I owned exactly three hair toys: a silver Pat Areias fork and two sets of Mei Fa Styx. It took until my hair was almost BSL before I started venturing into the world of hair hardware (seriously, they are NOT toys). Years later, with knee length hair, I've figured out what works and what doesn't.

Need: yeah, I pretty much NEED nothing.
Wants: again, not much. I rely on Ficcare for my day-to-day hardware because their clips really work for me. I have a few select forks, wood sticks, and a pair of acrylic sticks, and not a great deal else.
Dreams: a couple. I dream about a big gorgeous olivewood fork. I may commission one. I know exactly what I want. In my dreams, I own one of every Ficcare maximas, Ficcarissimo and superclip ever produced. Never going to happen, but it's fun to think about.

Upside Down
March 11th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Oh ok, this is great!

Hm well, this is my second go at hairtoys and updos.
When I discovered lhc I had chin lenght hair with bleached highlights that wouldn't take henna.
I wore it up mostly and bought some toys etc till I got to mbl or so. Then I started wearing it down and doimg blowouts etc cause it was fun. Hairtoys were mostly not used. Somehow I got to waist and was happy there, but after baby I cut to bsl or just above. Now I am wearing it up all the time again because I need to babyproof it, so I started buying toys, again. Also, being back on lhc, and we know what that does to your wallet.
It is not even so much about the money, it is just... I don't like having that much of anything. I feel out of balance, out of character as op so accurately put it.

Now, my time out is over when I complete the abs challenge aaand then I need to find moderation.

I do not need anything, since I have few toys but a nice variety of shapes and colors.

I would like one more two prong quattro because it is the awesomest thing ever.
I would like one lady idun but only in blue or green and only if I really like the color.
As for TTs there is one stick that sold that I would pay the price for. It was a reddish wood fancy leaves with mint green pearls, I believe. Or something very similar cause I liked this color combo a lot.

I also need to try and swap that senza limiti fork cause let's face it , I will never wear that.

missblueeyes
March 11th, 2015, 04:35 AM
As for TTs there is one stick that sold that I would pay the price for. It was a reddish wood fancy leaves with mint green pearls, I believe. Or something very similar cause I liked this color combo a lot.

I think I might have that exact TT. Is it this one by any chance (https://www.etsy.com/listing/221885356/new-wood-the-princess-eve-leafy-vine?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share)? I'm just really curious. :P

Oh, I love this thread. When I joined the forum I didn't like the idea of hair toys at all until I found 60thstreet and, well, I ordered a two prong that was far too small for me. Some other not well thought of hairtoy purchases and sales later (including a 3" ravenscroft moon, a Senza Limiti KPO and a TT off the swapboard that didn't really suit me), I finally think I know what I want and what I need.

Have
1 red-greenish TT and 1 dark brown - purplish TT (en route).
1 3 prong 5.5 inch 60thstreet fork in Raspberry Twist
1 NightBlooming Simbelmyne hairstick (en route)
1 fakkare for pinning up my braids
some spin pins
and some cheap claires hairsticks I hardly use and will throw out soon.

Need
Acrylics to hold my damp / wet hair
One real Ficcare because I feel like I need to give them at least a try. this is also an option to hold my wet hair.
1 Hairtoy that goes with everything and isn't too loud.

Want / Dreams
ALL the TT's! Especially ones with resin and inlays!
Some more LotR hairtoys
More 60thstreet forks in different colours
Acrylic forks
some LI's

I'm very picky so I got that going for me, which is nice.

sourgrl
March 11th, 2015, 05:54 AM
Hm. Need is relative for me. I don't really need anything as long as I have a stick and a Ficcare in neutral colors, which I do. I have a strong preference for matching my hair toys to my clothes and have one TT, one Ficcare, and one acrylic/resin for every color in my wardrobe except for a nice red TT. So using my addict reasoning I need a red TT, preferably red paua because it's the closest red to the reds i wear.

Wants all the TT glittery and swirly resins!! I'm really beginning to question my sanity when it comes to this. It really goes out the window when I see them. And just when I think I'm satstified another one comes along and I go all MUSTHAVEMORERESINS kookoo. There's a couple TTs I wouldn't mind having, a couple ficcares (border/lotus burgundy and border/lotus emerald) but resin TTs especially.

Dreams:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/154538085/the-chloe-hair-stick-featuring-gold-and?ref=favs_view_16

Seriously. Of all the resin sticks I covet that is my unicorn. I've done ISO threads, had Doug try to recreate it (no luck), and I stalk every corner of the hair toy world I know of in search of that stick.

rags
March 11th, 2015, 05:59 AM
I've been around a while and caught the hairtoy bug early (plus you can put up F/1 hair at ridiculously short lengths. :p. ).

So: HAVE- many more than I need. LOL. I need to de stash.

NEED- really nothing. I truly don't.

WANT- a couple of rare older Ficcares and a specific holly TT. Those are the "I would pay a LOT for these items" group. Other than that - a tusk army, all the enamel Ficcarrisamos ever made, and a LOT of TT. :D

Upside Down
March 11th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I think I might have that exact TT. Is it this one by any chance (https://www.etsy.com/listing/221885356/new-wood-the-princess-eve-leafy-vine?utm_source=Pinterest&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share)? I'm just really curious. :P

No, but it is close ;) ypurs is very very pretty too!
It is this one that I was talking about. Just the colors look so pretty next to each other...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/218853712/the-princess-eve-full-body-fancy-leaves

Robot Ninja
March 11th, 2015, 06:56 AM
I can't honestly say I need anything, even though I can still count my collection on my fingers. I could just wear acrylic sticks or Quattro forks every day. My wardrobe is rather monochromatic so it's not like I need different colors to match my outfits. The closest thing I have to a need is a thicker acrylic stick in a dark color for wet hair, and small flexis or slides or nice barrettes for half-ups.

My wants: There aren't really that many of those either. A Silverdawn Jewelry fork, which will be my next hair purchase. A Crockett Mountain 2-prong acrylic fork, which will be my next next purchase. Eventually I want a 3-prong from her as well. ONN ovals, which I am on the waiting list for, and I'm probably going to get one in a darker color, which will be my wet hair stick. A pair of Quattro sticks. A Senza Limiti fork, or several. I do want a Ficcare but while there are current colors I like, there are none I love, so I'm holding off on getting one. I'd like an LI too but the odds of getting one in a color I like, with a topper I like, and in a good length are not great.

Dreams: The Ficcare in sourgrl's sig. Seriously, I love that Ficcare. My unicorn would be a Quattro fork with a topper in the right shape and a stone I like.

missblueeyes
March 11th, 2015, 07:22 AM
No, but it is close ;) ypurs is very very pretty too!
It is this one that I was talking about. Just the colors look so pretty next to each other...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/218853712/the-princess-eve-full-body-fancy-leaves

Almost! What a pretty stick. :D

meteor
March 11th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Great idea for a thread! :thumbsup: I think this thread can help us pin down needs and wants and also avoid any impulsive purchases, if that's a problem. :)

For myself,
Needs: probably none, since I am very happy with what I have! :D

Wants:
1) Amish U-pins: I hear they are sturdy... all ordinary crimped u-pins bend out of shape very quickly on me... le sigh
2) something acrylic and big and indestructible that I can just shove in wet hair and never worry about;
3) a huge waterproof seamless very wide-toothed rake with very long tines: the comb I have is small-ish but I don't see anything massive and seamless in stores here;
4) paranda/super-light scarves - I think they'd really help with grip for updos;
5) Olaplex treatment: seems quite revolutionary, I'd love to try it.

Dreams:
1) Tusk - love that unique design!
2) TT - they are just stunning pieces of art;
3) Quattro fork or Ravenslair fork - they all look amazing;
4) Senza Limiti - such stunning designs;
5) Schnitztube - unbelievable, unique designs;
6) Ficcare (especially modded ones) - they seem so beautiful and functional ...
... honestly, the list could go on and on forever :lol: but I don't want to develop an addiction and spend a ton of money on something that would turn into just a personal use item: a lot of these items probably deserve to be on display in a museum, rather than hidden in my hair! :lol:

yogagirl
March 11th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I also found my way here while searching for ways to use a hair toy (a fork I was given as a gift)! Then I somehow got obsessed with the idea of wearing forks and sticks instead of elastic and my former staple, claw clips. My hair is relatively slippery though, so most toys didn't/don't hold at my length. Logical consequence... I have to grow my hair! (Makes sense right? Tell me this makes sense to somebody else...?)

So here I am :) I never thought about it until this thread, but I guess the way I found LHC was kind of a foreshadowing of my hair toy... ummm addiction...? That's such an unpleasant word :o But yeah, I've bought a considerable amount of toys in a short time. 4 pairs of sticks, 1 single stick, 7 forks and currently plotting more. I am trying to not buy willy nilly and be a little strategic, example: I have a red wooden fork, so I won't buy another one even if it's a different different wood. And: I already have black wooden sticks, so I won't buy any more even if they're acrylic. We'll see how well that'll work in the long run.

Needs:
- an acrylic fork. I'm pretty bummed because I only want one acrylic fork, so I already bought one that I LOVE the colors of. Turns out it's actually amalgam and that is, yes, safe to use in water, but not safe to use in high heat which is what I need it for. So I guess I need another one. Sigh, already a wrench in my strategy.

Wants:
- a fork in mulberry dymondwood
- a fork in vineyard dymondwood
- a couple more colors for acrylic sticks

Dreams:
- TT stick. Of course I like the fancy/really ornate(/expensive) ones :rolleyes: BUT I'm 90% sure it won't work in my hair yet. Maybe I'll spring for one once my hair is longer and I can make buns hold with one stick.
- senza limiti stick. Also waiting for my hair to hold with just one stick.

AspenSong
March 11th, 2015, 01:40 PM
I waited probably a year or so into my long hair journey and being here, before I even started buying toys. I started out with a pair of Eads and a Flexi and some homemade sticks I made myself before I even bought the Eads, to make sure I wanted to spend money investing in something like those for my hair and if they'd work for me. My collection gradually grew and in the last year, I added on quite a few items I'd wanted for several years and just never been able to buy for myself....A few TT's, GTS items, etc. I got some things that I kept thinking would work better as my hair got longer because even though I don't have a lot of hair, length would add to the bulk of a bun. I've come to the realization with some items, it will never add enough for me to use them and I recently destashed those things. I feel at this point I'm more resigned to exactly what I can and can't use in my hair for the most part.

Needs - Honestly, nothing. I've got way more stuff than I realized anyway. I'm near 100 toys and yes, that's me including homemade ones and gifted homemade items, but that's still a lot of stuff. If I was being realistic, I could live with one pair of acrylics, a wood fork and a flexi. lol. And if I was being generous, 1 Lady Idun, 1 pair of acrylics, a fork and a flexi. In fact, last year while I was in TN with my grandmother before she passed on, I spent months mostly wearing one pair of hair sticks.

Wants -
Pair of Mamacats in the Passionwood Purple or Acrylic.
A couple more Ketylo sticks or a pair.
A bigger Acrylic fork
An Elymwold Gothic fork
Feyritail stick

Dreams -
Would love to try a GTS Tusk. Tulipwood would be amazing. Or one with a stone in the top. Tulipwood with Malachite would be a dream.
A Schnitztube "evil" Owl fork
Another Hanssen Studio Paintbrush stick
Anything Greydog
And several of my Dream items are more Dream items because of rarity or just being able to get ahold of one....I'd try to find a way to buy them if they appeared!! lol. Like the Greydogs or Hanssen sticks...
I also have several TT's and LI's that are dream items - I'd love a Moss resin, and a few of the older design sticks. And I'm still dreaming of one day getting some of the different colored LI topped sticks and a Unicorn of theirs also.

LaBeq
March 11th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Interesting topic! Let's see, what I currently have is: 1 small zebrawood fork, one small (but amazing) loopy metal hair-friendly barrette-type thing, and one even smaller copper hair slide on order.

Needs: Not really sure, since I'm still trying to figure out what works with my hair/what styles I can actually do. (Yeah, I've been a member here for several years, but most of that time I was just sticking my hair up with bobby pins and ignoring it!). I should make myself another couple of forks, so I've got some color options.

Wants: a couple of small Flexi-8s and a small Ficcare if I spot one I like at a reasonable price.

Dreams: ....discovering a style of stick(s) that stays, holds, and doesn't look ridiculous in my tiny bun, maybe? I love the look of a lot of the sticks I see, but I don't think my hair is likely to work well with them for several more years!

slynr
March 11th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Have: a lot of pieces already by most of the artist I would care to try.

Need: Nothing:)

Dream: I don't know...maybe walk into random boutique and find a load of old style ficcare. I have had some dream clips I've really wanted and said to myself if I get this clip I'm done. Unfortunately, there is always something else out there so for me it's an unhealthy thought. I just get what I get and don't sweat what I dont. I'm thankful for the 'dream' pieces I have and try to pass some off to others. Trying to keep it all in perspective:)

Eta: I need to pay more attention. Looks like I missed the want part and added a have...doh!! I don't want anything until I see it and then I know I want it. And it's fairly random:)

MsBubbles
March 11th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Have: Ficcares I can't really wear. A few acrylic sticks and some Quattro sticks.

Need/want: curved acrylic and metal forks - the more lightweight, the better.

Dream: curved hair forks that come in all the cute Ficcare designs somehow! So there's a business idea for you creative types. I imagined it, and blew a fuse in my brain over it. I have Ficcares but I never reach for them because they are uncomfortable as hell in my hair. I think my buns aren't big enough, and I don't have enough bulk to hold the Ficcares, so they pull like crazy. They are too heavy for me.

Agnes Hannah
March 11th, 2015, 06:02 PM
NEED a new lotus ficcare any colour!!
WANT a new lotus ficcare any colour!
DREAM a new lotus ficcare any colour!
Erm, there is a bit of a theme going on here ha ha.
HAVE some ficcares in small and medium, claw clips, forks, sticks, slides, antique hair pins........
Ok, I love hairtoys!

CurlyCap
March 11th, 2015, 09:14 PM
After reading this thread, I think we need a thread on the swap board like "Hey LHC-er, do you have this TT?"

Cause then hair toy dreams could come true!

I have a few I want to sell to LHCers but have been to lazy to photograph. I'd so sell/trade/gift them if I saw somebody post their sale page, though!

chen bao jun
March 11th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Have: I dunno, but around 70 hair toys? the things I have most of are ficcare and modded fakkare;self made beaded 8s and Lady iduns. But I have one of a lot of tHings. One grah toe (not a tusk), -one tt, 1 set mamacats and so forth.
e
Need: I love hair toys but can't say I exactly need anything. When I came on here, I needed tips on how to keep very thick curly hair up. Once I learned about Amish and spin pins, I was really set. I could never use a claw clip, but members hair with floor length hair showed me it could b e done and the best type to buy. So I didn't NEED to learn about ficcare. BUT I did learn.

Want a Kiev gift shop fork and some painted barrettes, because I love ukrainian culture. Also an amber family LI AND probably a purple

Dream about: the happy state of being satisfied with what I have.

Probably need to leave LHC to manage that and not ready to do so.

Stormynights
March 11th, 2015, 11:28 PM
I have all I need. I want a few more things that I will get in the next couple of months. I am going to buy my dream TT one of these days. I want one with black wood and Paua or mother of pearl or maybe both. I am only going to buy one so it has to be special with no purple.

bonbon58
March 12th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Needs: Amish hair pins? I have a feeling I will lose them though, and I prefer using a single hair toy instead of multiple pins

Wants: senza limiti, maybe another acrylic stick in different colors, verawood jeterfork

Dreams: lavender multistripe/2 tone lotus ficcare! 4 prong laboradorite Quattro fork! I don't care for tusks or TTs, I feel lucky :o

chen bao jun
March 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I just refuse to even consider the tusks. I ignore people's photos. That the LAST thing I need, to fall in love with something that costs that much!

DweamGoiL
March 12th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Need - Nothing really. I have more than enough although my collection is rather TT heavy. I refuse to disclose how many I actually own right now and I have no plans for detashing. All the TT's are MINE, MINE, MINE!!! :face:

Want - I have come to accept I am rather easily enabled. I tend to like things from most hairtoy makers people discover. Knowing this, I tend to forgive myself a lot for crossing my time out boundaries :eyebrows: I am patiently waiting for Nigel to get through his current customs list because I would love to have some of his resin topped Elymwold's in size mini...the red, the yellow, the blue...oh my! I was biding my time until the new Ficcare Lotus line came out and I am over the moon that I managed to snag a few, and in a few days, I will be in Lotus heaven. I have been lusting after them for SO long. It feels almost surreal.

There are still a few TT's from past sales, I would LOVE to have:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/213540999?

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/203139796? (but longer)

and one a Chloe he made in clear resin with silver abalone (this is totally my unicorn stick):

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/102064856?

ok, and this one, too:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/55500154?

Dreams - I dream of becoming way more adept at putting my hair up than I am now. I also dream of Doug taking customs again. I would love to make something stunning out of a previously injured resin TT I have at home *sigh*

pastina
March 12th, 2015, 03:45 PM
I'd already been here about a year when I started being active on the boards. I wanted to find a way to put up my hair that didn't involve claw clips. I love them, I use them all the time, but MAAAAAN did I need a change of pace. First I learned the word paranda, which I'd never heard. I made several of them with what I had on hand.

But then I found hair toys. I was doomed.

The existence of the swap board is what did me in. I was unwilling to make an investment without a safety net when I had no idea if any of these toys were going to work in my hair. But, look-- a place where I could resell! Thus began my mission to try all the different types of toys, thinking that I'd eventually find something I liked. The plan was to sell what I didn't like, and buy MORE of the type I liked. Yeah, that didn't really pan out. I (unfortunately?) found that I can make most things work, so it became very difficult to decide what should go while things kept coming in. I recently made some choices and got rid of some things I haven't been reaching for.

So, as it stands, I have a decent sized collection that is pretty varied. I'm (almost) down to exclusively things that I love or that have I have sentimental attachments to. I've learned that I love certain natural woods, but they are impractical for me. I won't destash all of it, but I've gotten rid of a lot. I've learned that I love acrylics, turned acrylic in particular, but my husband hates them. Go figure! I've learned that dymondwood is amazing. I learned that things that are super fancy are fun, but don't get much use since I'm a stay-at-home mom to two super tiny boys-- I barely change out of pj's most days, let alone leave the house.

Need - Eh, I don't think I need anything, particularly.

Want - More Dymondwood, before it's all gone. I got my pink and my fuchsia, I got my turquoise... I'd like something purple and something blue. And, I'd like something in charcoal! Hm, maybe charcoal is a "need"?? There are some things I'd still like to try, so I guess those are "wants" as well. I want more TTs... in his old designs. The stick shapes he doesn't do anymore, you know? With bold, simple bands of color and geometric/color-block designs. I'd also like to try something from Feyritail!

Dream - I would like infinite money so I can buy all the things. Is that a lot to ask? :) I think a dream would be a dymondwood avalon tusk with an inlaid stone. Another would be a black and white licorice stripe LI. And yet another-- custom TTs! I have so many ideas!! I'd also love any of these designs: one, (https://www.etsy.com/listing/109364083/new-design-the-petite-princess-eve-skull?ref=favs_view_12) two, (https://www.etsy.com/listing/89977785/reserved-the-oriental-star-lovers?ref=favs_view_13) three, (https://www.etsy.com/listing/88790338/new-design-the-dimensional-swirl?ref=favs_view_14) four (https://www.etsy.com/listing/83257209/new-design-the-diamond-lovers-hairstick?ref=favs_view_15)

Calaelen
March 12th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Need-A really good seamless comb, a MUCH longer turbie twist style microfiber towel, to find my holy grail hair oil.

Want-A Feyritail Zero stick, or ten. A Newer style TT princess Eve with inset. A Mariya4wood fork, An ErlionWorkshop fork, An infinity topped WAJ fork, Woodfordell fork, more willothewisp forks, more Elymwolds

Dream-A paricularly ornate GTS Tusk, Beetnik505 sticks over 6 inches, particularly the fluted design, and especially any of the Blue Mahoe Osage Orange, or Purpleheart sets. A Rene Lalique hair comb..Google that, and see why that is here

lunasea
March 12th, 2015, 09:01 PM
A Rene Lalique hair comb..Google that, and see why that is here

:agape: OMG!!!!!! :agape: Either of the swallows combs....to die for! I see one is by Lucien Gaillard...that means there's one for each of us Calaelen :hifive:

Calaelen
March 12th, 2015, 09:19 PM
:agape: OMG!!!!!! :agape: Either of the swallows combs....to die for! I see one is by Lucien Gaillard...that means there's one for each of us Calaelen :hifive:

Right? I can't promise if i had a chance at Gaillard I would leave it for you though :p

lunasea
March 12th, 2015, 09:22 PM
I can't say I'd blame you :eyebrows:

Calaelen
March 13th, 2015, 08:21 PM
Hm. Need is relative for me. I don't really need anything as long as I have a stick and a Ficcare in neutral colors, which I do. I have a strong preference for matching my hair toys to my clothes and have one TT, one Ficcare, and one acrylic/resin for every color in my wardrobe except for a nice red TT. So using my addict reasoning I need a red TT, preferably red paua because it's the closest red to the reds i wear.

Wants all the TT glittery and swirly resins!! I'm really beginning to question my sanity when it comes to this. It really goes out the window when I see them. And just when I think I'm satstified another one comes along and I go all MUSTHAVEMORERESINS kookoo. There's a couple TTs I wouldn't mind having, a couple ficcares (border/lotus burgundy and border/lotus emerald) but resin TTs especially.

Dreams:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/154538085/the-chloe-hair-stick-featuring-gold-and?ref=favs_view_16

Seriously. Of all the resin sticks I covet that is my unicorn. I've done ISO threads, had Doug try to recreate it (no luck), and I stalk every corner of the hair toy world I know of in search of that stick.
Holy s**t! Your unicorn stick just sold on our swap board for $45 I hope you got it or I might cry.

two_wheels
March 14th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Holy s**t! Your unicorn stick just sold on our swap board for $45 I hope you got it or I might cry.
My heart sank when I saw that she didn't get it. I hope Doug magically finds a way to make another.

sourgrl
March 14th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Thank you ladies :flowers: Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed but don't want to spoil it for the lucky new owner. Hopefully they will think of me if they change their mind on it. Doug was unsuccessful at recreating that stick (he tried twice). It's definitely one I would pay a pretty penny for if it comes back around again.

slynr
March 14th, 2015, 08:18 AM

My heart sank when I saw that she didn't get it. I hope Doug magically finds a way to make another.

Thank you ladies :flowers: Not gonna lie, I'm disappointed but don't want to spoil it for the lucky new owner. Hopefully they will think of me if they change their mind on it. Doug was unsuccessful at recreating that stick (he tried twice). It's definitely one I would pay a pretty penny for if it comes back around again.

Yep...this would be me and I do feel like crap for buying it. ...at least I do now :boohoo: I sold all my sticks like that and have regretted it ever since. I guess I didn't realize that was the one stick you wanted. Blerghhhh!!!

two_wheels
March 14th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Oh slynr- i hope we didn't rain on your parade. Well- I mean- I know we did and I'm sorry. It's a lovely stick and will be great on you.
It's always difficult when there is a unique item that more than one person wants. I'm sending one of my fave TTs for a little holiday to quasi-land for that reason :lol:

slynr
March 14th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Oh slynr- i hope we didn't rain on your parade. Well- I mean- I know we did and I'm sorry. It's a lovely stick and will be great on you.
It's always difficult when there is a unique item that more than one person wants. I'm sending one of my fave TTs for a little holiday to quasi-land for that reason :lol:

Thanks for that...Makes me sad panda.

Quasiquixotic
March 14th, 2015, 10:36 AM

I second this, and not just the part where she is sending me a tt. It's amazing how mixed my emotions can be over hair toys. But I have faith in the greater good of LHC and things tend to work out as the should, even when that is not the way you first saw it going. Like maybe Doug (damn, I put an "H" there for a second...thanks Majorane!) will develop a new and awesome glittery blue stick and Sourgrl snags it.

I know you are both good people, Hugs to you both!

sourgrl
March 14th, 2015, 01:10 PM
All's fair in love and hair toys ;) Slynr is gonna rock that stick just as she does her other pretties <3.

Wildcat Diva
March 14th, 2015, 08:56 PM
Well thank goodness it went to a good home. Slynr, you are good people and will totally rock it.

CrazyGrace
March 15th, 2015, 02:27 AM
Wow, this thread has gotten a lot of response. These lists are still works in progress.

I have:

a handful of sticks, mostly plain functional ones, some self-made
a jeter fork that doesn't work in my hair
a northwest goods fork that works fantastic, but I'm not crazy about the topper
a couple of avian clips that are too small
an medium flexi that holds curly ponytails and an xl that holds buns

I need

a good two prong fork with lots of curve that hides in my hair nicely -I had a quecraft from the swap board that I used all the time, but it's gone missing, maybe I should get two
more good options for wet hair -maybe some colored acrylics
a good comb -I've been using the forks
to solve the leave-in puzzle

I want

more dressy options
some turned sticks -such as Lady Idun or Turn of the Century
a biggish wood fork that works for my hair -I've got a gts coming that might work
a black stick with a nice top -dressy
a kiev gift shop fork
a couple more xl flexies -maybe the keepitup ones
something green
pretty beaded pairs -dressy, oooh, maybe the mixed pairs with a flower and a leaf or something
amish pins

Dreams

a fakkare with a pretty pattern -I have a couple of avians, but I don't like the way they look, and I don't think I'll ever like the look of the solid color ones in my hair. I've seen some really pretty mods though. I think my favorites are the silver ones with black leaves and butterflies (nightblooming?) and the butterfly wing and dragon scale ones (seeshami, but I can't remember the name of her shop)
a Schnitzstube fork -the twisted ribbon kind with four prongs

I also have this daydream about walking into an estate sale or a thrift store and finding a bucket of really nice things (something on the level of a Quasi-hoard) all jumbled up and marked cheap for the whole lot because the person sorting didn't know what they had and couldn't figure out why they were all carefully stored in individual bags. I would go through it and keep my favorites, and then spoil future swap partners rotten. Maybe I could stalk the ISO threads, try to get people's addresses from other sources, and then send unicorns anonymously.

Quasiquixotic
March 15th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Crazygrace I love your dream! :applause:

sourgrl
March 15th, 2015, 08:20 AM
CracyGrace you may want to consider an acrylic fork (or two) from CrockettMountain. Beautiful, functional, and great in wet/damp hair

Kina
March 15th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Given that my impulse buying has gotten out of control, I've put myself firmly in time out, so this thread is very, very helpful. Thank you OP!

I have:
1. many, many things.
2. I was on the wear all the hairtoys thread and I gave up after roughly 130 toys. Yes, I'm a wimp and got overwhelmed, why do you ask?
3. I know there are people with more toys than that who have finished it, see #2

I need
nothing, except for a routine that I'm happy with, leaving my hair with it's volume and texture, but not tangly or dry

I want
an auburn ficcare superclip, a nightblooming tri-colored (gold, rose gold and silver) ficcare mod, a ketylos 3 prong fork and finally holly TT inlaid with blue (https://www.etsy.com/transaction/233474355?)

Dreams
ficcare superclips in the border styles

patienceneeded
March 15th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Have: More than I care to admit.
Forks - 3 Jeters (4-prong), 2 Jeters (3-prong) 2 acrylic forks from Chevelure, 1 acrylic fork from CrocketMountainWoodworking, TempestMoonStudio metal fork.
Sticks - Way more than I need. Mostly acrylic from Ead, some from other sellers. I love my bigger oversized Ead sticks and my Lady Idun icicle. One peacock resin TT from the swapboard. Battle-axe from OUtnumbered Novelties. Other random sticks, mostly singles.
Moons - 1 Ravenscroft moon (swapboard purchase), 2 more moons that DH made me.
Way more stuff that I am forgetting. Pins, barrettes, headscarves, buffs, etc. I honestly don't NEED anything else. I need to get rid of some stuff...

Need: Nothing really. I might NEED a large Ficcare (my medium is too small now), but I'm ok without a Ficcare.

Want: Again, there's nothing really to want. Perhaps the large Ficcare is a want?

Dream: Enough money to buy whatever I feel like, whenever I feel like it.

two_wheels
March 15th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Love reading these so thought I'd add mine!

Have: er, yeah, I think we all know I have too much. I love it all. Anything that doesn't get enough love gets passed on here.
Need: well need is relative. I probably need more hair most of all :pray:
Want: a sparkly medium ficcare. Nearly all the ficcare lotuses. Mini dymondwood tusks in passionwood and aqua. A schnitzstube calla lily (I had one; it was way too big because I didn't know what I was doing). Probably some more timberstones that I can't even imagine but are a twinkle in Doug's eye. Moar hair.
But I'm very happy with what I have.

bonbon58
March 15th, 2015, 07:50 PM
two wheels, I love that comb (?) in your avatar! What is it? Put it on my want list!! :p

-Fern
March 15th, 2015, 08:25 PM
:hmm: Actually, I think what I really want is a dremel and chisels to start making my own forks! Now if only I could find extra hours in the day, too... but then I would have to stop lurking on LHC as much... Conundrum...

Lolino
March 16th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I have:
3 cheap decorative hair pins
Wooden Hairstick blanks plus the general hardware to attach things.
knockoff Titanic butterfly comb (my preciouusssssss....)

I need, quite a few things actually;
Claw clips and hair slides that don't pull my hair out.
Hairsticks of some sort - at least one acrylic pair I think, they come in fun colours!
A better comb, note to self: go to The Body Shop one of these days.
Maybe some more decorative pins...
Glue and more beads to decorate my hair sticks with.

I want pretty much everything I see on here!

I want/dream of:
A slew of pretty satin scarves in different colours and patterns to hide my hair in on days when I don't want to bother too much with it etc.
Tools to make my very own hair sticks from scratch, and the skills to make them truly gorgeous.
Flexi-8's galore, they're so pretty! But shipping to here is insane, so it is a dream.
I badly want hairsticks with tiny bells, and ones themed on various of my favourite games or books.
Genuine japanese kanzashi (bira, kogai, kushi *drools*)

My wallet needs to become a magical portal to a world made out of money. Or a world made out of gorgeous hair-toys and tools perhaps, that might be easier!

two_wheels
March 16th, 2015, 03:36 PM
two wheels, I love that comb (?) in your avatar! What is it? Put it on my want list!! :p
Thanks! Well, I do aim to enable.., it's simplistic designs. Not on etsy, but you can google them!

julee
March 16th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Have: Lots of hairtoys! :lol: my collection is mainly ficcare, acrylics (ketylo, LI, Ead) and 60th street. I have a couple of TTs and mamacat pairs, some Elymwolds and Crockett Mountain pieces.

Need: Theoretically, nothing! But I need moar ficcares!

Want: There's a couple of new ficcare I'd like to get eventually. I'd also love to find more special TTs. I'm not in any hurry though, I know my preferences and when I see what I love, I'll buy it.

Dreams: There's a couple of older ficcare I'd love to find. But I'm more than happy if I don't. I also dream of a pair of acrylic/polyester mamacat ribbon spirals or corkscrews. Also a teardrop mint tourmaline LI.

I guess I'm pretty easily enabled! But I know the makers I like and that work for me so I stick to them :)

vivianne
March 17th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I started in the german lhc in summer 2013. Soon a tryed GT forks and SL sticks - and told everyone: I like this stuff, f.e. senza limiti i had two expensive pieces. GT was my favorite because it holds my hair safe :D But i was sure: i will never need this weird thing called ficcare.
And than i tryed one ...
Now i have more ficcares than all other hairtoys together. :) They work perfect with my hair. I dream about having a ficcare museum - which shows every ficcare clip ever made hehe! One can dream...

Must haves so long: Brush with wooden pins, GT avalon tusk with stone on top, 5 ficcares size large (in different colours), a good scissor for S&D
Need: I donīt need anything more right now
Want: In my dreams i have every ficcare model ever made to open my ficcare museum, lotīs of TTīs, a few more wonderful avalon tusks

I like my collection right now and i am glad about the pieces that make me happy every day! :D I love to reorganise my storage and look at all of my precioussssss... (hehe) I think a dragon sits upon the storage always having an eye on my hairtoys...

sourgrl
March 17th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I also dream of walking into a shop or, better yet, a consignment shop and discovering retired ficcares. To be able to get a couple more of the retired styles for a reasonable price would definitely be a dream come true.

Avis
March 17th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Maybe I can plan better by posting. Ok let's see...

Have: 5 and 6 inch sticks in wood and acrylic, wooden forks, and 3 flexis in 3 different sizes
Needs: Nothing fancy, maybe just some amish pins and I could probably live without those.
Wants: Weaponry from AKCWoodworking, something from HairJems and Barefoot Maiden on Etsy, a few more Jeters (probably 2 prong) and nearly all the sticks in Ead's shop. A few large flexis (particularly copper rose and kaleidoscope) and some Mamacat sticks, but those fly out of the shop before I even notice they've been listed.
Dreams: TT (really any kind, I love most of them), Ficcares (the silky enamels and the matte metal enamels are so gorgeous) and a Quattro fork. Such pretties.

A have a lot of wants and dreams but virtually no needs. Writing everything out has helped me see that I have more than I feel like I do.