PDA

View Full Version : Swimming + Dyed Hair

kichewolfe
March 10th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Okay, I really need some help here, LMAO.

I've made a few posts in the Burgundy/Cola Henna thread but, I just need general advice. I don't care if it involves henna or not.

I dyed my hair for a long time (years and years) with box dye (Ruby Rush by Feria - it does have hydrogen peroxide in it). I gave that up a few months ago because I really don't want to damage my hair any more. It's finally starting to get the life back in it. I used Manic Panic (mixed Vampire Red with Infrared) and got literally a perfect color that I like way better than what box dye could ever accomplish. But.. I really love to swim in the summer.

I don't swim in pools, only creeks and Lake Erie, so chlorine isn't an issue. But Manic Panic bleeds like a royal &*#$*, if you know what I mean. I dyed it over a month, maybe even a month and a half ago now, and it still bleeds BRIGHT red when I shower. Good news? It hasn't faded really at all. But either way, there is no way I can go swimming, especially with freshly MP dyed hair.

I was considering Burgundy by Henna Guys but since my length still has permanent box dye under the MP, I was concerned that the Indigo might screw with it. I really don't want green hair, lol.

I would STRONGLY prefer dye/henna/whatever that I can apply myself because I have no desire to spend big bucks on a salon every time my roots need touched up.

Help? ;_;

endlessly
March 10th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Unfortunately, you're right in your assumption that you won't be able to go swimming without the color bleeding or fading from your hair. One suggestion if you want to keep using Manic Panic is to invest in a good swim cap to help keep the water out and this way, you can extend the color as long as possible without having to change your coloring method. I've done this in the past when I've gone swimming in chlorine pools and it works like a dream. Sometimes, you can get a little water in the cap, so I typically recommend dampening your hair first and applying a good conditioner before slipping on the swim cap and that way, you protect your hair and get a good deep conditioning treatment. From what I've heard regarding Manic Panic, it isn't considered to be a permanent color so it will continue to bleed every time you wash, so I think that's pretty unavoidable :(

However, as a fellow abuser of box dye (I'm trying to behave now, I swear), I haven't ever tried using Henna in place of the permanent dye just because of the fear that it would react badly. From the horror stories I've read and heard, it can mix with the remaining chemicals from the hair dye in your hair and cause an unwanted reaction, like green hair - but, you could always do a strand test just to see what the result would be.

Best of luck!

kichewolfe
March 10th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Oi. x_x The struggle is so real.

I don't really care if it fades, I can always reapply. It's more the bleeding and turning my skin/everything around me bright red that I'm worried about lmao. I used regular henna over the box dye before I used Manic Panic and it was no big deal, no green, but it didn't really stain it or leave any color, just a slight coppery glow in the sun and it was very shiny. It's the indigo I think you have to worry about.. but on blonde roots I'm always afraid that plain henna, even from Henna Hut or Henna Guys, will turn orange which is definitely not my thing. I am trying to avoid orange at all costs which is something henna is notorious for unfortunately. I guess I'll be ordering a packet each of Deep Red and Burgundy from Henna Guys and doing strand tests. :x

Rosetta
March 11th, 2015, 06:55 AM
Yes, definitely strand test, but as far as I know you shouldn't need to worry about indigo over chemical dye - it's only the other way round that can cause problems! :) (i.e. chemical dye & bleach over indigo.)