PDA

View Full Version : Cant get oil out of my length!

Shibe
March 10th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I did a hair mask last night that was made of olive oil, coconut oil, and honey. My scalp and roots are completely clean, but my length is still oily and darkened (but amazingly soft, woohoo!).

I did CWC last night to remove it, and I don't want to wash again.

How do I get rid of this oil?

meteor
March 10th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I bet it's the olive oil (it's pretty heavy) or it's just the overall amount of oil used.

I'd slather hair length with conditioner (something not too coney, but proteins are good!), let it soak for 30 minutes or longer, and then wash it all out with shampoo (preferably something clarifying or "volumizing", not too conditioning or "moisturizing").

Alternatively, just put it up and forget about it: your hair is not dirty, so you don't really need to wash it, if you can handle the oiliness till your next wash. :)

Panth
March 10th, 2015, 03:28 PM
As meteor said, washing with conditioner often removes oil better than washing with shampoo. However, unless you're super-concerned about the aesthetic effect (or unless it is so excessive that it is, e.g. blotting oil onto pillowcases and suchlike) then I'd just bun/braid the hair and leave it in.

lapushka
March 10th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Another vote for leaving it in if you can (if there's no risk of transfer onto sheets/pillowcases); if not try conditioner - it is known for getting oils out well. Then shampoo-wash, like meteor said. I'd just wash again, TBH. Any chance you can just wash the lengths, not your scalp (washing upside down might help with that)?

sarahthegemini
March 10th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Just coat your length with a cheap/basic conditioner, massage it in, let sit for 20 mins then rinse
You don't need to shampoo the conditioner out just rinse it away with water.

Shibe
March 10th, 2015, 11:50 PM
I have my hair in my paranda and I figure since I wash every other day I'll just slather it with conditioner and let it soak. Thanks for the advice ladies!

rina06
March 10th, 2015, 11:59 PM
I had this issue last week. I ended up mixing conditioner and sulfate shampoo together and massaging it in my scalp whilst dry - then washing it out and going over the root to tip with conditioner.

Seemed to work for me

RoseofCimarron
March 11th, 2015, 01:47 AM
I had this happen to me once, too. NEVER using olive oil again! :)

I agree with the idea of conditioning it out, but if that doesn't work (it didn't for me), there is another suggestion that will work that I learned from an old Crystal Gayle interview. I put a very small amount of dish soap (I used dawn) on my wet hair, and it worked like a charm. After that I conditioned as normal. I can already hear the screaming... please don't kill me! :D

FurryLady
March 11th, 2015, 11:12 AM
I had this happen to me once, too. NEVER using olive oil again! :)

I agree with the idea of conditioning it out, but if that doesn't work (it didn't for me), there is another suggestion that will work that I learned from an old Crystal Gayle interview. I put a very small amount of dish soap (I used dawn) on my wet hair, and it worked like a charm. After that I conditioned as normal. I can already hear the screaming... please don't kill me! :D

For me washing out oil treatments works best with a shampoo bar (= soap bar) :D

Sarahlabyrinth
March 12th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Try the conditioner first and if that doesn't work, try dish soap. It worked for me.

truepeacenik
March 12th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Before LHC, I was given the esoteric knowledge that is the oil of the Olive. ;)
It's my original hair treatment.
But the secret is to apply the soap, shampoo/detergent (SLS) or conditioner without water to start. Let the soap bond to the oils, then rinse.

AlexDig
March 12th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Egg washes always work the best for me...and I've definitely gotten myself into some oiling pickles! I mix eggs, aloe vera gel, argan oil, and whatever fun herbal teas I'm trying at the moment and blend it all up super well. Then I follow up with a diluted ACV and I'm done! My favorite part of eggs is that they always get the oils out but they don't strip the hair so I don't feel like I lose all the benefits of the deep conditioning that I did.

spidermom
March 12th, 2015, 08:51 PM
conditioner soaks work for me

Shibe
March 13th, 2015, 01:22 AM
I waited a few days before I washed my hair again, and a simple poo and condish worked perfectly.

My hair still is nice and soft, so I guess letting it sit for a few days was a blessing in disguise!

trolleypup
March 13th, 2015, 06:52 AM
In the past I used a light oil to lift a heavy oil (machine oil...not on purpose), and then water to rinse out the light oil. Nowadays, I'd use one of the other suggestions (less work)...or in extreme cases the ultimate clarifier - Dawn dishwashing liquid.

brickworld13
March 13th, 2015, 07:59 AM
In the past I used a light oil to lift a heavy oil (machine oil...not on purpose), and then water to rinse out the light oil. Nowadays, I'd use one of the other suggestions (less work)...or in extreme cases the ultimate clarifier - Dawn dishwashing liquid.

My dad ends up using Dawn when he gets motor oil or engine grease in his hair. He's a mechanic and it does happen from time to time, but Dawn completely trashes his curls when he has to use it.

trolleypup
March 13th, 2015, 05:52 PM
My dad ends up using Dawn when he gets motor oil or engine grease in his hair. He's a mechanic and it does happen from time to time, but Dawn completely trashes his curls when he has to use it.
Mmyup! I try to be pretty careful when I am doing a Dawn wash to remove poison oak oils from my skin. It is pretty drying...but better than the alternative!

Kendrix
March 13th, 2015, 10:53 PM
This happens to me too. Every single time olive oil even gets anywhere near my hair. Coconut oil likes to stay in it too. I did the same mask (Coconut oil, evoo and honey) and I was stuck with my hair in a greasy mess for a week. At the end of that week, I was forced to shampoo the length, which I hate doing because dryness and fragile ends.

Is it a fine hair thing? Surely everyone can't have this issue.

Shibe
March 14th, 2015, 01:23 AM
The first time I oiled my braid with coconut, it took 3 wash days to get it out! I didn't even use that much!

Now I just use it on the ends that peek out from my nighttime braid.

lapushka
March 17th, 2015, 05:18 PM
This happens to me too. Every single time olive oil even gets anywhere near my hair. Coconut oil likes to stay in it too. I did the same mask (Coconut oil, evoo and honey) and I was stuck with my hair in a greasy mess for a week. At the end of that week, I was forced to shampoo the length, which I hate doing because dryness and fragile ends.

Is it a fine hair thing? Surely everyone can't have this issue.

Try using droplet-amounts next time! Go from a tiny amount and build that up instead of going the other way around!

TrapperCreekD
March 17th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I shampoo all my heavy oilings - EVOO - out, never had a problem not getting it out and my hair is still softer/moisturized than skipping the whole process. :shrug: YMMV, but I think the key to shampooing oil out is apply the shampoo to the oiled hair, THEN get it wet.