PDA

View Full Version : Assess this multivitamin with me!

RancheroTheBee
March 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in conventional products, or what have you, but anyway.

I started taking Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin & Nails a few months ago. I didn't take them regularly, but I did notice a really large crop of new baby hairs along my hairline (which now makes it impossible to wear a headband) and also, I have to shave my armpits at least twice as often now, so I guess it's doing something. I'd probably venture to say I was taking them every other day, if that. I'll include the actual ingredients below, because apparently the American version contains 5000mcg of biotin, and mine definitely does not. I have noticed zero improvement in my nails and my skin, but those aren't a big concern for me, and nothing's gotten WORSE, so take with that what you will.

Anyway, I've decided to be a little bit more committed to taking them because I'm trying to be a bit more serious about growing it now that I have a solid style to grow out from and I've got the time to obsess over it, and I noticed on the bottle it says I should be taking TWO a day, not one. So, here's the ingredients:

Vitamin A: 500 mcg
Vitamin C: 40 mg
Vitamin D: 0.83 mcg
Vitamin E: 3.35 mg
Thiamine: 1.67 mg
Riboflavin: 1.67 mg
Niacinamide: 8.33 mg
Vitamin B6: 1.67 mg
Folate: 66.7 mcg
Vitamin B12: 2.67 mcg
Biotin: 166.6 mcg
Pantothenic Acid: 5 mg
Calcium: 237 mg
Iron: 1 mg
Magnesium: 33.33 mg
Zinc: 2.5 mg
Selenium: 4.17 mcg
Manganese: 1.67 mg
Choline: 25 mg
Alpha lipoic acid: 3.33 mg
Lutein: 3.33 mg
Soy isoflavones extract: 57.5 mg

Originally, I was concerned about the Vitamin A content, as it seemed rather high to be getting 1000 mcg in a day, when I easily ingest 1000 mcg through the massive amount of vegetables I eat every day, but then I realised most women's multis are carrying between 2500 mcg and 3500 mcg per pill! That seems like an insanely high amount to me, especially considering it's fat soluble and I'm not going to be naturally excreting any excess. My diet isn't THAT bad.

Speaking of which! I eat my veggies, as mentioned, but I do not eat a lot (probably in the neighbourhood of 1500 calories a day) simply because I can't find the time/interest to eat more. I'm trying to up my protein, but I find it kind of hard, and plus, my room-mates are veg*ns and they get a little ookie about meat, so...

Anyway! TL;DR: Do you think it would be beneficial to take these multi-vitamins as directed, or do you think they're in any way "too much" as is? Thanks for any input!

diddiedaisy
March 9th, 2015, 01:37 PM
If one a day is working for you I wouldn't bother taking two.

lapushka
March 9th, 2015, 01:43 PM
If you were taking them every other day, and you've had that much improvement in your hair, then you're probably deficient in something, might not be a big thing, but still. I'd first start taking 1 every day (not 2).

RancheroTheBee
March 9th, 2015, 04:30 PM
If one a day is working for you I wouldn't bother taking two.

If you were taking them every other day, and you've had that much improvement in your hair, then you're probably deficient in something, might not be a big thing, but still. I'd first start taking 1 every day (not 2).

Okay, thanks! I thought maybe 2 was overkill. Thanks for the input!