PDA

View Full Version : How do you pull back your hair?

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 9th, 2015, 09:22 AM
During the day, I typically just pull my hair back (not tightly) with a non-metal elastic. What ways have you found to pull back your hair quickly and easily while avoiding damage and excess strain on the hair?

I also use those thick fabric-wrapped 80's style scrunchies. I don't feel that they put much strain on my hair, but they just slide out of my fine locks all of the time and I find myself constantly having to pull it back up.

Nique1202
March 9th, 2015, 09:28 AM
When I realized how much damage the non-metal elastics were doing to my hair, I started practicing buns. The disc bun and cinnabun both take me less than a minute and only require a stick or pen to fasten securely. Nautilus and lazy wrap buns are apparently even faster for people whose hair is thin enough to do them.

kganihanova
March 9th, 2015, 09:49 AM
ponytail with elastic/crappy bun with elastic/attempted braid that slides off/half up. My hair slides out of things a lot.

yogagirl
March 9th, 2015, 09:55 AM
I do buns now mostly, though I feel like they do put a lot of strain on the same area each time (where a ponytail holder would sit). Just because I have to twist fairly tightly and that's where the fork/sticks get pushed through every time.

I've been in love with Scünci "no-slip grip" claw clips for years now. I don't think they cause damage for me. I always have one on me. Either for quick half ups when I need my hair out of my face when eating, or for a quick peacock twist when I need my hair off my neck when I get too hot. They even work for a low ponytail.

Chromis
March 9th, 2015, 10:01 AM
I stopped wearing ponytails completely. They gave me breakage and my hair still got tangled and caught on stuff.

I wear various buns and updos using hair sticks, forks, and Ficcares. There are lots of very fast and simple styles.

neko_kawaii
March 9th, 2015, 10:07 AM
My favorite crazy fast bun is Spidermom's, but it may require more length.

Nadine <3
March 9th, 2015, 10:19 AM
A lazy wrap bun with a stick. It's fast and easy and holds like a rock for me, even when my hair is squeaky clean.

Arien
March 9th, 2015, 10:21 AM
I cut up old tights to make hair bands. Clean obviously :D. That way when I tie my hair up in a ponytail or bun using them there is no damage because they are nice and soft and there is nothing for my hair to catch in. :). Buns are the quickest way to put my hair up at this length but I have to make two or three otherwise my layers pop out. Not sure you could even call them buns yet lol. More like folded ponytails. I miss braiding :(

ghost
March 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Lazy wrap bun. They look pretty, hold really well, and you can secure them with almost anything.

BrendaLoan
March 9th, 2015, 10:34 AM
I never use elastics, and my hair is in a LWB most of the time, held by a fork. But if I ever feel like doing a ponytail, this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129368)method is a good choice (less damaging and confortable)

Doreen
March 9th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Lazy wrap bun is my go-to if I have less than 30 seconds to do something but if I've got 5 minutes or so I'll take the time to braid it and then bun it to be more secure.

RancheroTheBee
March 9th, 2015, 10:40 AM
When my hair was longer: lazy buns with stretchy scrunchies, or sticks. Now, just headbands or scarves.

spirals
March 9th, 2015, 11:11 AM
My go-to buns are nautilus and lazy wrap. I am especially likely to do those when I am in a hurry. I do like twin braids in summer, depending on my outfit.

Anje
March 9th, 2015, 11:16 AM
I usually bun mine without making a ponytail first. I secure mainly with Ficcares in winter (my jacket keeps knocking out hairsticks and forks!), and use sticks and forks more in the warm months. Today I've got a braid, also not ponytailed at the top.

Why no ponytails? When I first joined this place, I had a HUGE broken section of hair that was clearly broken from supporting the weight of the ponytails right over the back of my head. My bad habit of "tightening" the tail certainly couldn't have helped either. So I swore them off and don't wear them more than a few times a year now. Frankly, buns are more comfortable and don't pull as much as anything secured with elastics.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 9th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I love all of these suggestions!!! I don't have any ficcares or hair sticks. Where can I buy them? Are you able to locate them in stores or online only? I'm so exited to try these new hair toys!!! :joy:

Larki
March 9th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Hair sticks, claw clips, flexi-8, spin pins, etc. My favorite methods are definitely spin pins and flexi-8s. Hair sticks sometimes aren't very secure - the buns become loose and fall out when I walk. But sometimes they'll hold securely all day. Claw clips are very secure, but heavy. Flexis are super secure and very light and comfortable, as are spin pins.

Flexi-8: http://www.lillarose.biz/

Spin pins: http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-Assorted-Colors/dp/B003FVDNO6

Chromis
March 9th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I love all of these suggestions!!! I don't have any ficcares or hair sticks. Where can I buy them? Are you able to locate them in stores or online only? I'm so exited to try these new hair toys!!! :joy:

For hairsticks and forks, I buy online. You will see tons of good recommendations on the forums! I'd recommend going with something you see well reviewed around here at first so you don't land up getting something that is rough and junky or weirdly shaped and hard to use. As a nice starter suggestion for cheaper sticks, I love QueCraft's horn sticks: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/quecraft?section_id=6183712&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1 and for forks: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/60thstreet?ref=shop_sugg

If you have a Nordstrom's nearby, they sell Ficcares. They are usually downstairs near the scarves and perfume counters.

The swap board is also a great way to find toys! (I should mention that the old discontinued Ficcares are rather coveted, so the new ones are usually cheaper, just in case you have a heart attack looking at their prices)

lapushka
March 9th, 2015, 01:21 PM
LWB (lazy wrap bun) all the way, with a nice basic aluminum fork. Takes 30 seconds.

Rebecka
March 9th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Pony tail, the only hairstyle i can make except for braids more or less.

Nique1202
March 9th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Hair sticks, claw clips, flexi-8, spin pins, etc. My favorite methods are definitely spin pins and flexi-8s. Hair sticks sometimes aren't very secure - the buns become loose and fall out when I walk. But sometimes they'll hold securely all day. Claw clips are very secure, but heavy. Flexis are super secure and very light and comfortable, as are spin pins.

Flexi-8: http://www.lillarose.biz/

Spin pins: http://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-Assorted-Colors/dp/B003FVDNO6

The biggest trick with using a hair stick in a cinnabun or other not-looped bun is weaving it up and down to grab a bit of bun, a bit of scalp hair, a bit of bun, a bit of scalp hair. The more you can do that, the more secure the bun will be, but until you're really practiced it can be a bit tricky.

With a lot of the looped styles (nautilus, lazy wrap, disc, etc.) the stick placement is where your fingers dig into the bun, so you go down one side, grab scalp hair in the middle, and back up the other side. If your hair is long enough and not too slippery, it should hold like a rock because the loop creates a kind of tension on the outside by holding all the ends down, and the stick creates tension underneath and at the outer edges by holding down the loop, without actually pulling on the hair itself uncomfortably (if you've done it right). That's why these buns are so commonly held as favourites around here: they're super comfy and extremely secure.

Larki
March 9th, 2015, 03:32 PM
The biggest trick with using a hair stick in a cinnabun or other not-looped bun is weaving it up and down to grab a bit of bun, a bit of scalp hair, a bit of bun, a bit of scalp hair. The more you can do that, the more secure the bun will be, but until you're really practiced it can be a bit tricky.

With a lot of the looped styles (nautilus, lazy wrap, disc, etc.) the stick placement is where your fingers dig into the bun, so you go down one side, grab scalp hair in the middle, and back up the other side. If your hair is long enough and not too slippery, it should hold like a rock because the loop creates a kind of tension on the outside by holding all the ends down, and the stick creates tension underneath and at the outer edges by holding down the loop, without actually pulling on the hair itself uncomfortably (if you've done it right). That's why these buns are so commonly held as favourites around here: they're super comfy and extremely secure.

I do all of that. I use the nautilus exclusively. My hair is just really slippery/silky.

excentricat
March 9th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Another trick for cinnabuns if you're having trouble getting good weaving action is to use two sticks. One stick you concentrate on getting the bun attached to the scalp (some up, mostly down) and the other you concentrate on holding all the rings in place (some down, mostly up). This was a huge help to me as soon as my bun started making more than one circle around.

Nique1202
March 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM
I do all of that. I use the nautilus exclusively. My hair is just really slippery/silky.

You might try the disc bun. The nautilus and lazy wrap are very prone to slipping out if your hair is slippery or thick at all, but the disc bun is much more secure because it has two smaller loops instead of one very long one, and the hair wraps in opposite directions for a bit of grip. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do a nautilus that holds until at least tbl or classic, but the disc bun I've been able to do since bsl.

endlessly
March 9th, 2015, 04:04 PM
My go-to daily hairstyle is ridiculously easy, very comfortable, but still manages to hold pretty well without me having to re-do it constantly. I twist my hair into a loose bun - almost like a loose nautilus - then clip either side with a big octopus clip. Super easy and takes less than 10 seconds, but still manages to look pretty decent and I still manage to get a few compliments even.

LaBeq
March 9th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Well, right at the moment I've got a ponytail held by a hair-friendly barrette. Usually I have it up in some sort of twist or an attempt at a LWB (which, given the miniscule size of my bun, can be kind of amusing-looking). I do still use little rubber bands to secure the ends of braids, although I maybe shouldn't. It's just that my braids are so tiny that any other option for securing them either looks ridiculous or would slide right off.

Larki
March 9th, 2015, 06:22 PM
You might try the disc bun. The nautilus and lazy wrap are very prone to slipping out if your hair is slippery or thick at all, but the disc bun is much more secure because it has two smaller loops instead of one very long one, and the hair wraps in opposite directions for a bit of grip. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do a nautilus that holds until at least tbl or classic, but the disc bun I've been able to do since bsl.
I've tried to learn the disc bun, but it's too difficult.

oOoAMANDAoOo
March 9th, 2015, 08:39 PM
For hairsticks and forks, I buy online. You will see tons of good recommendations on the forums! I'd recommend going with something you see well reviewed around here at first so you don't land up getting something that is rough and junky or weirdly shaped and hard to use. As a nice starter suggestion for cheaper sticks, I love QueCraft's horn sticks: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/quecraft?section_id=6183712&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1 and for forks: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/60thstreet?ref=shop_sugg

If you have a Nordstrom's nearby, they sell Ficcares. They are usually downstairs near the scarves and perfume counters.

The swap board is also a great way to find toys! (I should mention that the old discontinued Ficcares are rather coveted, so the new ones are usually cheaper, just in case you have a heart attack looking at their prices)

Thank you for this information. I am going to try Nordstrom.

CurlyCap
March 9th, 2015, 09:00 PM
I don't pull back my hair anymore. These days, it's more often piled on top of my head for weight distribution reasons.

And since my hair is getting long enough that the curls straggle down, I almost always were a bun smack dab on top of my head. Whatever I like, but these days usually held by a ficcare or pins.

HappyHair87
March 9th, 2015, 09:05 PM
I have to use one of those elastic skinny headbands...double it around my neck and then slide it back over my head to get a ponytail. I also discovered those telephone cord scrunchies especially good for pineappling at nite bc they fit so loosely.

If i try to use crunchies the regular way...it just doesnt come out right. :(

FallingDarkness
March 9th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Disc bun with a pencil FTW! It survived me legitimately sprinting around the halls of my high school during lunch today (long story). Super sturdy, no damage, easy, also everyone's impressed with my awesome hair do skills, even though it's just sticking a pencil into a blob of hair. :P

Buckie
March 9th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Newbie here. I just came to the realization that my go-to ponytail must be responsible for breakage along my hair shaft, and I am officially swearing it off. I use those ouchless elastics which I thought were safe, but the location of the breakage is too much of a coincidence.

Fortunately, my hair is now long enough for a braid. I also ordered one of those donut bun things from ebay.

I wish I could wear buns with hair sticks, but my hair is straight and slippery.

Daylilly
March 10th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I still love pony tails. I have been wearing more buns and braids though and they are really comfortable. I just keep changing it up so there is not too much wear and tear on one place.

Hairkay
March 10th, 2015, 06:23 AM
I use home-made satiny scrunchies for a ponytail/puff. I also use French braids, flat twists and plaits.

Elly May
March 10th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Another vote for the lazy wrap bun, held with a fork or a stick.... When I am home I often wear my sleep cap or a silk scarf instead of a bun to contain and protect my hair, will giving my scalp a break from the constant bunning.

Anje
March 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I wish I could wear buns with hair sticks, but my hair is straight and slippery.

Give it some time and length. When your hair is long enough to wrap around itself a few times, buns stay significantly better even with slippery hair.

lapushka
March 10th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Give it some time and length. When your hair is long enough to wrap around itself a few times, buns stay significantly better even with slippery hair.

So very true!

meteor
March 10th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I always wear hair braided and bunned. My go-to styles are braided lazy wrap, braided cinnabun, Ellingwoman braided bun, coronet braids.
I can't seem to corral my hair into a bun without either twisting it or braiding it first. Since I think twisting (e.g. cinnabuns/figure-8/infinity bun/...) might be a bit damaging, I prefer buns that follow the "braid and wrap" technique.

For those of you who love ponytails, maybe you could use the ponytail as the base for your buns (e.g. Chinese bun or Chinese braided bun), to protect the hair from tangling?

Alternatively, consider Sarahlabyrinth's Lazy Wrap Ponytail: she uses some of the hair from a pony to make a lazy wrap bun around the remainder of hair. You can also build updos from that beginning, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umz6pNWk9oQ

More on this style here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129368

Buckie
March 10th, 2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks Anje and lapushka. I have never been past APL yet, so I am about to find out :)

AZDesertRose
March 10th, 2015, 07:58 PM
I try to vary the style and not wear my hair the same way every single day.

Right now, mine is in two infinity buns, one at the crown of my head and one a little lower. (It's a little too short at my thickness to manage a single infinity bun.)

UP Lisa
March 11th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Instructions for doing the Lazy Wrap?

Anje
March 11th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Instructions for doing the Lazy Wrap?
I'm trying to find a quick, simple video and instead finding that lots of people have variations on the theme. Once upon a time, I think it (or a topologically similar bun) was the Inside-Out bun, if that helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3LWSGiDBbk This is how I normally do it. Not everyone twists theirs, but I do because otherwise the outer loop sort of sproings everywhere. (Hi, WSL!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s00n1-NbyY0 This was an interesting variation I've seen on a few videos, where the thumb gets a second wrap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omw2szlWRU8 This one wraps the remaining length around after securing the base bun.

UP Lisa
March 11th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Thank you. I know I've seen it before, but I never really took the time to learn it.