PDA

View Full Version : Transition haircuts

kganihanova
March 9th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Hey y'all. I'm graduating college in two months and I suddenly have an urge for a new haircut because it just feels right. I also remember doing this between hs and college, kind of transitioning to a more young adultish hairstyle. Does anyone else "transition cut"?

lapushka
March 9th, 2015, 07:50 AM
You'll always find a reason to cut if you want to cut, esp. at awkward lengths. You'll need to hang on in there if you *really* want to grow longer. Cutting it every time, for what reason it may be then, will not get you longer hair, it will only delay the process. So... what do you want? A fashionable cut with possible regret, or longer hair?

MINAKO
March 9th, 2015, 07:55 AM
You'll always find a reason to cut if you want to cut, esp. at awkward lengths. You'll need to hang on in there if you *really* want to grow longer. Cutting it every time, for what reason it may be then, will not get you longer hair, it will only delay the process. So... what do you want? A fashionable cut with possible regret, or longer hair?

Seconding this! Why dont you get playful with something that doesnt hinder you in growing out your hair. Some deposit dye and clip in bangs, or a few nw hairtoys can be awesome for a change too. I really badly wanted to long-bob my hair last year around this time and im glad i didnt. ;)

leilani
March 9th, 2015, 08:12 AM
congratulations on graduating from college!!

kganihanova
March 9th, 2015, 09:03 AM
I was thinking of cutting in some light light layers in the ends to get some swing and fun in there and adding a few more face frames (not too big, kind of wispy) to look more......young adulty???? Funner??? This happens everytime I transition from phases of life....

Anje
March 9th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I guess the question is: Do you want your hair to be like that long term? Or are you simply looking for a way to mark the transition from one life stage to another?

Congratulations, by the way!

kganihanova
March 9th, 2015, 10:45 AM
I guess the question is: Do you want your hair to be like that long term? Or are you simply looking for a way to mark the transition from one life stage to another?

Congratulations, by the way!

I don't think I want it like that forever, just to mark the change temporarily. It feels cathartic to make a change to celebrate. Thank you :)

kganihanova
March 9th, 2015, 10:48 AM
congratulations on graduating from college!!

Thank you! I'm excited to have almost passed this milestone!

ChloeDharma
March 9th, 2015, 10:54 AM
As others have said, cutting will set you back if your goal is knee length. If it's something you really want to do then you should do it, hair will keep growing and you will have got the urge out of your system. I do wonder though if you should consider addressing this habit of cutting whenever you have a life change. In itself I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it does not strike me as compatible with your long term hair goals. Knee length even on short people is very long and takes years and years of patient growing.

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your hair, after all that is the point of this long hair growing business. Congratualtions on graduating :)

kganihanova
March 9th, 2015, 03:01 PM
As others have said, cutting will set you back if your goal is knee length. If it's something you really want to do then you should do it, hair will keep growing and you will have got the urge out of your system. I do wonder though if you should consider addressing this habit of cutting whenever you have a life change. In itself I'm not saying it's a bad thing but it does not strike me as compatible with your long term hair goals. Knee length even on short people is very long and takes years and years of patient growing.

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your hair, after all that is the point of this long hair growing business. Congratualtions on graduating :)

I'm ok with the journey taking longer. That's what makes it fun right? That said, I think this time I won't impulse chop like after hs..

ChloeDharma
March 9th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I'm ok with the journey taking longer. That's what makes it fun right? That said, I think this time I won't impulse chop like after hs..

Actually I was going to mention this before but forgot.

I don't know if people here still use this but we used to have the two week rule. Basically if someone was considering a chop, not a trim but an actual cut or layers or something that would take a long time to grow out they would be advised to wait at least two weeks. Consider it every day during those two weeks and really think through their possible reactions. If at the end of those two weeks they are still sure they want it then they could be more confident in not regretting it afterwards. Of course nothing comes with a concrete guarantee but it's certainly useful.

But yes this growing journey should be fun and if having those layers chopped in will make you feel good then just make sure you go to a good stylist who you are confident will do a good job.

For what it's worth I think the cut you describes sounds really nice and not far off what I would have done if I was ok with having bits falling around my face.

Alex Lou
March 9th, 2015, 03:36 PM
I think you should do it. You only graduate from college once (maybe). It's not a radical change. And the road to knee is a very long one. The setback you get from this cut isn't going to take that long to grow back to where it was compared to the years it will take to get to knee. As long as you don't make a habit of cutting, you'll be fine.